z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Spring Disguise

by niteowl


The landscape is tended carefully around here,
rich with rainstorm-fueled grass
and trees with rainbow blossoms,
releasing enough pollen
to coat the city three times over.

If you let the pink and orange flowers catch
your eye, you almost won't see
the looming brick and glass tower
that holds the thousand failed experiments
of your dreams.

A/N: This is revised from the opening poem of NaPo 2016: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=406&t=104933#p1311901


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 23

Donate
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:58 am
Bhaavya Singh says...



Hey, THIS IS ADORABLE!!!! I love spring season and this poem reminds me of spring. The description is Fantasmagorical, while reading I felt like I am sitting in middle of a meadow full of flowers, in the lap of nature , feeling the beauty of spring.
I would like to point out, that the poem would sound better if the sentences would have been regular. Some sentences are too short and some are long,.
Overall this is really lovely.
Have a good day!




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 23

Donate
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:57 am
Bhaavya Singh wrote a review...



Hey, THIS IS ADORABLE!!!! I love spring season and this poem reminds me of spring. The description is Fantasmagorical, while reading I felt like I am sitting in middle of a meadow full of flowers, in the lap of nature , feeling the beauty of spring.
I would like to point out, that the poem would sound better if the sentences would have been regular. Some sentences are too short and some are long,.
Overall this is really lovely.
Have a good day!




niteowl says...


Thanks for the review!

1) I'm glad you liked it, but "adorable" isn't what I was going for. The imagery was definitely meant to be springlike, but I meant the ending to be more pessimistic, in contrast to the joyous imagery around it. Perhaps I need to make it more dramatic?

2) Technically each stanza is one long sentence, which I didn't realize until your comment. But I'm guessing you mean lines, in which case the variation is intentional. I try to break lines on words that have meaning, since the end words stick out the most, rather than have even line lengths.

Thanks again for the review!



User avatar
218 Reviews


Points: 13763
Reviews: 218

Donate
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:20 am
View Likes
WinnyWriter says...



Good work here. It flows clearly and leaves a pleasant feeling characteristic of satisfying poetry. The picture it paints is easy to envision in the mind's eye. I like how you've depicted the "disguise" mentioned in the title. Keep up the good work!




niteowl says...


Hi there and thanks for the comment! I'm curious though...why was the poem pleasant to you? The ending was definitely meant to be cynical and pessimistic. I'm wondering if I need to make the ending more dramatic.



WinnyWriter says...


Ah, but you do not know me. ;) Even a somber work can be pleasant to me, because I enjoy the full spectrum of emotions in written work.



niteowl says...


Ah fair enough. I do get that feeling sometimes, like some sad/pessimistic songs sort of make me happy to sing (like The Lumineer's "Cleopatra").



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 63
Reviews: 23

Donate
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:47 pm
View Likes
kaceymackwriter wrote a review...



Oh I love this!! It's so incredibly descriptive and every word is so clearly carefully chosen. I love the imagery and the ideas presented in this! Really really well written poem! I didn't really see anything wrong grammar or punctuation wise so I don't really have any suggestions. Awesome job!

~Mack




niteowl says...


Thank you! :D




We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy