Cultural Clash

by nickelpickle

Random name... I had to do this for school, really is not my best, just okay. I thought it lacked depth and all that great stuff..lol.. THis was my first draft, I have the second draft around here somewhere...

Cultural Clash

[pre] “Hey, Sara!” A tall, slender girl with blond hair waved as she went down the hallway. Sara’s long hair swayed in the wind as she ran over to her friend. “Hey, Alli! What’s’ up?” Alli’s grin is wide and she is shaking. “I am so excited about the dance! I picked out a dress and all I have to do is” Alli fell silent and looked at her friend “Sara, what’s wrong. Wait a second… You are going to the dance, right?” Sara hesitated and then took a long breath. “Of course I am, All! How could I miss it? Anyway, I’ve got to go. We can talk all about the dance later. Bye, Alli!” Sara ran off, heading for the main parking lot. She spotted a car, got in and looked at the driver. A slender woman closely resembling Sara sat in the front. “Namaste, Sara. How was your day?” “It was fine, Mami. There’s this dance coming up at school Mami. Sara’s mother hums absently. “And…” Sara gulps in air. “And I wanted to know if I could go.” She held her breath. Sara’s mother looked at her daughter in awe. “Now, Sara, you know we can’t allow that.” Sara nods her head sadly. “Yes mother, I know.” As the car stopped, Sara got out and walked into the house. Her mother called to her and Sara turned around. “Sara, dear, please start dinner. Your father and brother will be hungry soon.” Sara nodded and walked into her house.[/pre]

[pre]The next day, Sara explained to her friends that her parents were still thinking about it. She struggled to blink back her tears as her friends chattered mindlessly about the dance. “So, Sara, what are you going to wear to the dance? I think a soft blue would be really pretty with your long, brown hair and your hazel eyes.” Sara attempted a smile and nodded. “I’m not sure yet, but I’ll keep that in mind, Alli. After a seemingly never ending day at school, Sara hurried to her mothers car and sat silently on the drive home. As they pulled into the driveway, Sara methodically stepped out of the card and began to bring in bags of groceries. Her mother nods approvingly. “Sara, dear, you certainly are much happier today. I’m glad you gave up the silly idea of that dance of yours.” Sara cast her eyes down and sighed. “Yes, Mami.” After dinner, Sara did the dishes and bent over to kiss her mother goodnight. She began to walk towards her small, bedroom but suddenly spun around. “Mami, do you think you could reconsider about the dance?” Her mother hesitated and then nodded. “Yes, Sara, I will think about it and perhaps talk to your father. Now go to bed.” [/pre]

[pre]Sara’s mother knocked on her daughter’s door. “Sara, I need to talk to you. Now, I know that I said that I would think about the party. I thought about it and then talked to your father.” Sara’s face fell at her mother’s tone. “This can’t be good.” Her mother’s face changed from the original sympathetic face to a disapproving face. “Sara. Don’t speak like that. I honestly don’t understand where you learned to be so sarcastic. Anyway, your face and I have decided that it would not be acceptable for you to go to this party.” Sara’s lip curled up in disgust. “What you really mean is that Dad has overruled you like he always does and you had no say in the matter. Isn’t that right, Mother?” Her mother‘s cheeks turned crimson. “Sara, as of now, even if it was acceptable for you to be at the party, you wouldn’t be going because you’re grounded.” Like a giant volcano, Sara exploded into a mixture of shouting and sobs. “You just don’t get it, do you, Mami? I feel like I’m grounded all the time. There is no fun in my life, I can barely leave the house, and I just hate everything about this family, myself, and my life. Now, I would appreciate it if you would leave.” With her mouth still open from the shock of her daughter’s outburst, Sara’s mother turned around and stalked out of the room, slamming the door behind her. [/pre][pre] The final bell rang and Sara got up and began to head towards the car lot. Someone behind her called her name. “Sara! Wait up!” Ignoring the continuous shouts, she quickened her pace. Almost to the car lot, she heard running footsteps behind her. “Hi, Ali.” Her friends’ mouth opened. “After I yell for you and have to run to catch you, all you can say is ‘Hi, Ali.’ I can’t believe you.” Sara put her head down and walked silently. Ali shook her head and then shook her friend. “Sara. Why are you being so mean? I just wanted to talk to you, but I’ll get out of your way.” She spun on her heel and walked off. Sara took a deep breath and then called out. “Ali, wait. I’m sorry.” She ran to catch up to her. Ali touched her friends shoulder. “Sara, what’s wrong. Why are you so upset?” Sara looked at her friends blue eyes. “It’s just… My mom said I couldn’t go to the dance.” Understanding flashed into her friends eyes. “Oh, Sara. Is that all? If you can’t go, I’ll stay with you.” Sara’s dark skin flushed crimson and began to sob. “I guess it’s not a big deal. It’s just that… I feel like my life is crashing down on me. My parents are so strict and they never let me do anything. I just hate them.” Ali stood next to her friend and waited. “Sara, I am so sorry. I don’t even know what I can do.” Sara shook her head. “There is nothing you can do except to leave me alone.” Ali began to speak, but stopped. She gave her friend a hug and then walked the other way. [/pre][pre] Sara stepped out of the car and trudged inside. Setting down her backpack and the large amount of groceries she was carrying, she turned to get a cookbook. Pulling one on chicken from the shelf, Sara flipped open to a page. A colorful dish of peppers, onions, zucchini and baby squash all over chicken and brown rice was displayed on the page. The door opened and then slammed shut. Sara’s mother walked towards the kitchen. “Sara! Will you please start dinner?” Her mother stopped speaking as she reached the doorway. “Very good, Sara.” Her mother walked to her own room and closed the door. Sara was deboning the chicken when her father came in. “Chicken again, Sara? We had that last night.” Sara cast her eyes down and nodded. “Yes, Father.” Her father stalked out and Sara began to set the table. The sweet smell of vegetables filled the kitchen and Sara served dinner. The family ate in silence and her brother and father quickly left the table. Her mother turned to go, but paused. “Sara, dear, I’d like you to go to the store with me in a few minutes. Your brother wants a cake for desert. Just finish cleaning and we’ll go.” Sara sighed heavily and continued to clean the dishes with scalding hot water. She dried her hands and then went into her room. Pulling a soft sweater over her head, she slipped on sandals. Sara walked out to the car, got in and opened her book. Lost in a world of romance, she barely noticed as her mother got into the car and started driving. The car rolled to a stop and her mother tapped her shoulder. “We’re here.” Sara opened her door, closed her book and got out. She glanced over the car at her mother and then began to walk. A flash of red caught her eye and she jerked her head up. “Mom! What are we doing at my school?” Astonishment flashed into Sara’s eyes as she understood. “But Mom… I thought Dad said no. Oh, never mind! Thank you, thank you!” She ran over to her mother and gave her a hug and a kiss on her plump cheek. Sara’s mother smiled at her daughter’s happiness. “Sara, you are such a good daughter. You deserved to have this night out. Now, go!” Sara scampered towards the door to the school, her face lit up [/pre]

Its a bit long, sorry if I lost you!

EDIT: All the indents are messed up.. My apologies

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:20 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

Hey! This short story is pretty good, but I have a couple suggestions. There really isn't much to do in the way of describing things as this is a short story. That's totally normal. But, you may want to make a new line of text for every quote. For example:

"Sara, as of now, even if it was acceptable to go to the party, you won't because you're grounded."

Like a giant volcano, Sara exploded into a mixture of shouting and sobs. “You just don’t get it, do you, Mami?..."

It would then be a slight bit easier to read. In addition, perhaps if you would make the paragraphs a little slower, it would be a little bit more fun to read. That's all the advice I have! This is actually a pretty good story. Good job!

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:20 pm
JuliasSneezer wrote a review...

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:55 am
nickelpickle says...

actualy it had more but my teacher made me take it out to meet the word limit

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 am
Sam wrote a review...

Yeah...i was about to say that myself.

First of all, Nikki, you don't really tell us WHY this Sara girl can't go to the dance. Then you say she has dark skin which, to some strange people, translate as racist. so you really need to tell us WHY this girl is so crushed and why her parents seem evil.

Second, most people don't say the other person's name when they're having a conversation. I think you have this in every single little bit of dialogue in this entire thing.

Example: ' “So, Sara, what are you going to wear to the dance?" '
Wait, that's not as bad as
"Sara, what’s wrong?" Even in that context, it's usually 'What's wrong?'

This story is certainly intriguing, you just need some fine tuning and to tell us why she can't go to this stupid dance!!!

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson