z

Young Writers Society


12+

Looka Da Flicka of My Pearls

by naval48


Catchin' girls, throwin toys,

I woke u feelin like I was in my room,

teasing them  and hunna swoon,

Look at the flicka of my pearls 

Look at the flicka of my pearls

Ugh looka da flicka of my pearls

some homies came in looking for a hunna boons

they instead gotta two hunna tunes

whoa, looka da flicka of my pearls.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1450
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 12:23 am
Guardian wrote a review...



Guardian speaking--

I just want to start off by saying that this is the most abstract piece of writing that I have ever read or reviewed. I'll try my best to decipher this poem and hopefully shine light upon the fact that you were somehow relating this text to our modern, and quite frankly, social times.

So, I'm speculating that this story relates to the song where the line "Look at the flick of the wrist" is used. I won't correct you on grammar or spelling, as this is a lyrical piece of literature. I liked the new spin on "lyrics" I guess. I've never actually reviewed lyrics before, and to be absolutely honest, this was just a tad bit weird to read. I hope you don't take offense to that, as I know that you must have spent precious time in writing this. I know I said that I wouldn't correct you on spelling, but typically in lyrics, words like "da", "flicka", "hunna", etc would not be allowed. In poetry, misspelling words is alright and acceptable, as poetry has no unified set of rules that everyone follows.

All in all, I just want to say, that it's good to have a diverse range of writing, and I'm glad that you are taking the initiative in writing something like this!

Regards,
Guardian




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 am
Elinor wrote a review...



Hey there!

I wanted to drop in to give you a quick review. I wanted to echo Strange's comments and say that while I think this could be good, right now it's not the most accessible. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be about after multiple read throughs and reading it out loud since I wondered if you were going for the spelling things out phonetically thing. Maybe this would make more sense if we knew the beat that was supposed to go along with it, but I'm not sure if you've thought of anything?

Because of the grammar and the choppy flow, it's really hard to say how I feel beyond that, because even in other rap lyrics I've read/listened to I'm usually able to digest a theme and a message. Music has to stick with you, and write now, this doesn't.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but like I said, this has potential. Think about what story you want to tell, and try to tell it in a way that only you can.

Best of luck!




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 am
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, Naval48! Strange here and I have a review for you on this review day! Pardon if this review is a bit rusty, it's been quite a bit of time since I've written an actual review. Let's dive in!

I honestly don't know the point you're tying to make in this poem. It seems quite obvious you are trying to do this as a "gangsta rapper", but in those raps I understand what's going on. You have an emphasis on the "flicka of your pearls", but even then I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Actually, it really has no context to the poem. This poem is all out of context. For example:

I woke u feelin like I was in my room,


What is that supposed to mean? Did you feel she was sleeping in your room so you had to kick her out, or did you sleep with her? This whole poem feels like this. It could be either PG or NC17, depends on how you look at it. None of these lines have meaning.

two hunna tunes

what. Two hundred songs? They sure didn't get boons, but did you sit them down and make them listen to your whole discography? Did you go to Pappa Razzi and The Photogs' Spotify page and listen to that? This poem feels near incomprehensible.

If another reviewer is going to come on and talk about how I had nothing positive to say, keep it to yourself. Throwing another reviewer under the bus is ridiculous. I personally did not like this poem for lack of flow, repetition, and its lyrics. That part lacked majorly. Of course, you can make it better, but that would probably mean you have to find the Garden of Eden.

Good luck, and keep writing!




Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat May 30, 2015 10:40 pm
naval48 says...





Random avatar
naval48 says...


well it was original




Poetry and prayer are very similar.
— Carol Ann Duffy