z

Young Writers Society



Shadow Seeker - Chapter One

by natalie


I will warn you that this is an unedited version. Please critique or give me some ideas to improve it. Thank you!

The sun was gaining on the couple as they ran through the thickly wooded valley, heading west. Cian bent down for yet another examination of the harsh ground, his hands almost as rough as the soil they searched through. Asarah muttered a curse as, once again, they slowed to observe the large bear prints which continued to draw a path in front of them.

“We’ve almost caught up with her now.” Cian’s voice proved just as certain as the look on his face, nevertheless, Asarah did not believe his word.

“Yes, but if we keep stopping to look at some pieces of dirt, we’re going to lose her altogether.”

Cian sighed. It was not often that he and Asarah disagreed, but when it came to hunting the pair could not have been more divided. It surprised many of the other hunters how well they both hunted, considering neither would track with a partner unless forced - which was often the case.

Resting her bow on the gentle slope which created the deep valley they ran through, Asarah settled into a tree at least twenty feet above Cian’s head. Her eyes scanned the intricately detailed forest faster than the average human, her sight dared not blur as she viewed every break in the canopy to find any sign of a large bear.

“There’s a den near the river bank. I think it is hers. I told you she was heading that way. Cian, there is no way we are going against her now, she‘ll be protecting her cubs.”

Sure enough, a large growl revealed the bears’ position in the direction of the river. Unable to deny all that Asarah had just said, Cian took his place underneath the tree which held Asarah and gave in to the fresh scents of the newly bloomed forest.

It was amazing how the land which received almost no sun had such a vast number of creatures living inside it. The large oaks towered over smaller plants which would not bloom fully until at least another two moons had passed. Still, none of it could compare to the places where sunlight was plentiful, Cian sighed.

Yet again, he found his gaze landing on Asarah, despite the fact that she sat many feet above him. She was unlike anything he had seen before; her hair folded like black silk over her narrow shoulders, creating a soft quilt which decorated her face with shade. Asarah was one of the few people who felt at home in the forest. Though she would tell no-one of her life before she arrived two summers ago, it was apparent she had spent much of it in places of shadow and darkness.

Her eyes continued to flick over the forest floor, never resting. Without warning, she slid down from her place in the tree, causing Cian to dive out of her way. As always, she landed on her feet, bent down so that she could regain balance by gently placing her hands on the floor. Her gaze was fixed on something Cian was unable to make out.

It took a few moments before he realised where she was heading, and he burst out in a feeble attempt to stop her.

“Ash, no! It’s too dangerous! Just leave her. You said yourself there was no point, she had cubs.”

“I changed my mind.” Her striking beauty was heightened by the impassive gaze she held, one that usually took hold of her in any situation where concentration was involved. It was obvious she wasn’t going to stop. When she wanted something, she always seemed to get it.

Asarah almost let a smile rest on her lips as she glanced across to find Cian almost running to keep up with her pace. She loved him, though not in the same way as he loved her. Cian was a brother, a friend, nothing more. He knew this, though like many others in the village, he did not give up trying.

Asarah let her face soften as she remembered how he had taken her in, ignoring her past, the absence of light in her face. Aware that shadows were drawn to her, she had tried to stay in places where shadows were plentiful. Unfortunately, it did not work. Though Cian did not seem to mind her dark ways, it was obvious he was a man of light, not of darkness - like many of the village.

After about a mile of walking at a faster pace than usual, Asarah slowed to a halt. She reached for a small dagger and began to walk at a much slower speed. Cian attempted to ask her what she was doing, but Asarah only held her finger to her mouth, refusing him the full sentence.

Just ahead lay the bear, quiet and seemingly lifeless. Asarah crept forwards, leaving Cian in the undergrowth. This bear had injured many of the village’s livestock. Enough was enough, it was her time to travel to the shadow world.

With a strangely, accurate aim for someone untrained, Asarah threw the small knife into the side of the bear’s neck. The bear reared, causing Asarah to jump back in case it turned to find her unarmed. She beckoned to Cian, who passed her his bow without question and she took aim yet again.

This time, it was not the neck she aimed for. To ground this bear, she would have to kill it with the first shot. Between the shoulder blades lay a place of no defence. If she could shoot accurately, the bear would be down in seconds. The arrow raced past her ear, leaving a trail of wind behind it. The shot was accurate enough, but not fatal. The bear turned and swung.

Asarah ducked. She had fought a bear only once before, and it was not a memory she wanted to relive. Only the remnants of light remained as she ducked again, forced towards the river. Shadows were gathering around her, she could feel their presence screaming at her. Asarah’s mind filled with voices, rage, force. Cian screamed at her to move as she closed her eyes, trying to concentrate. There was one voice she could hear over all the rest. One she wanted to hear.

Don’t run Asarah. Don’t hide. I shall help you this once. I owe you my aid. But after this time, you must help me. Asarah, I will find you soon. You shall know when you see me. I shall help you now, then you shall help me.

A large thud echoed throughout the forest. Cian cried out once more as Asarah opened her eyes to find the bear standing above her. It reared onto its hind legs, before slamming its full weight onto the ground for a second time, landing with its muzzle only inches from Asarah’s face.

“Asarah! What are you doing! Run!”

But Asarah could not run. Her shadow seemed to root her to the ground, refusing her any movement from the waist down. She could do nothing but wait as the bear breathed the scent of death and malevolence into her face. The voice grew louder, overpowering all other sounds. Darkness filled her vision as she heard nothing but the words which screamed inside her mind. Asarah could no longer see Cian nor hear the words which he aimed at her. The words which filled her head were of a different race, she could tell. Still, it made no difference. She could understand every word which entered her mind.

Don’t run, Asarah. Remember our deal. I wont let you fail this time. I wont let you fail if you grant me the favour I ask you when we next meet. You listened to me before Asarah. I’m the reason you survived the winter three summers ago. I’m the reason you outran the hunters when they found out you were different. Don’t run this time Asarah. Fight.

Her vision returned as she found the bear raising its left paw. She could no longer hear those familiar words ringing through her mind like a thousand church bells. Cian still screamed at her to run, but she could not listen now. The voice was right, it had helped her before, whatever it was. It would not let her down.

Cian fell silent as he realised Asarah’s intentions. He was the only one who had seen her hunt in her true spirit, but against a bear? It couldn’t be done.

Asarah felt her skin pale with a calm danger. She would not let the bear win. The shadows which surrounded her seemed to enter her own, making her grow with a strange sense of darkness. The bear took a step backwards. Asarah’s eyes shone, two undisturbed pools of black. Words she could not control escaped her lips, words of power unknown to the surrounding forest. The voice was her own, but the lyrical language was not.

Cian disappeared from the scene as he subtly moved backwards, attempting to escape the word of shadows. The bear, however, was not so lucky. Shadow surrounded it, pulling its shadow from beneath her. Asarah did not move from her dark position until the bears shadow no longer joined with its physical form.

Rushing forwards to catch her, Cian moved around the bear’s corpse and slid in behind Asarah. She collapsed into his strong frame, breathless with exhaustion. Her eyes returned to their normal state as Asarah regained her balance and smiled weakly.

“I did it, Cian. I killed the bear.”

“I know. Now, lets get back. You know what Damarii is like when we arrive home after sunset.”

“It’s too late for that.” Asarah was already walking subtly back towards the village. Cian was right. Damarii would not be happy, no matter how many bears they had killed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 282 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 64

Donate
Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm
bisquit wrote a review...



Firstly, u write beautifully.
i will get the tips over with first...no one really likes tips so i will not make them last long.
1) quick thing...you need a space in the...first line fourth paragraph betweeen but and when. hehe.
2) First sentence, 5th paragraph, the sentence is a bit long without breaks. maybe go back and edit that slightly.
3)in ur 8th paragr, you have rrom and ability to describe the setting even further! Go for it!
4)"she had cubs.” "has cubs" maybe?
5) fifth paragraph from the bottom i think it is..try not to repeat the word shadow.

only a few points there!
your structure of writing is great. you write so passionately and realistically. :)
Your characters are strong and important, and the ending was brill!
hope i have helped :)
xx





The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984