z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Void

by nashville_skyline


I was expecting for you to hurt a little less
After so much time has slowly passed
But look at me, no change, still an aching mess
Remember how you said we wouldn't last?

I close my eyes and visit all our hidden places
Hearing the sounds, smelling that irresistible scent of yours
But you moved on and I guess I just have to face it
That you will never again appear at my door

I want to let go but also hang on to every detail
Because without our story my life seems dreadfully cold
And if I erase you there's no reason to wake up
There's nobody out there to fill this boundless void


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:09 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hey! Forever here with a review!!

So the first thing that struck me was the lack of punctuations in the third stanza. As long as I know, there are two types of poems: one properly punctuated and one not punctuated at all. As your poem falls in the traditional format, I think you can add punctuations to the thirs stanza too. However, I don't know if the lack of punctuations was supposed to mean anything specific, like void, perhaps? When I read the word void, it actually made a bit of sense to me. I am not sure though.

I really like the concept of the poem. You did a good job in representing love through the old memories. They say that once you live someone, you can't un-love them. This was something like that. I have no idea about what really happened to the lover. Like did they leave? Did they completely leave? Did they break up or something? I would really love to know a bit more on that.

I loved how the narrator found love in all the old memories and the materialistic things that their lover left behind as a sign of their love. There's a subtle sense of loneliness throughout the poem which I really admired. The rhyming scheme also added greatly to the poem. It sounded great.

I don't have any other critique except this one:

Hearing the sounds, smelling that irresistible scent of yours

I think this line, in terms of length stood out a bit than the others. Maybe you can decrease one word and make it a bit shorter?

Keep Writing!!

~Forever




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 187
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:33 pm
AriesBookworm wrote a review...



As children we are told to be patient, by middle school we're told to get over things, and in high school, we are told that things heal with time. How long are we supposed to wait though? A month? A year? A decade? How long should we wait for things to heal and how long should we wait before deciding that we need to move on. Don't tell children to be patient, I never have been, tell them to do something while they wait. Give them a book to read, a picture to color, or a toy to play with. Teach them to be productive with the time on their hands, not to waste it by withering away in a chair in a waiting room for a doctor's appointment. Teach them not to be afraid of new things, and encourage the questions they have. When you do this, children will learn how to deal with things like heartbreak and rejection. When they are at their lowest, they will not lie on the ground, they'll pick themselves up. Life is so short before we spean eternity in Heaven, so why waste time thinking badly of experiences that we will only experience once?




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 155
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:08 am
NewHope wrote a review...



Hello there

Lehmanf here with a short review. I hope it finds you well.

My first impression is a very strong worded poem. The stanzas are really nice but I'm not sure if they have the flow connecting that you're looking for. But the poem as a whole is really nice.

I was expecting for you to hurt a little less
After so much time has slowly passed


It feels like the narrator has come from a relationship. Waiting for it to heal but it still hurts no matter how hard they try to forget. No matter what they do it always seems to haunt them in the night.

But look at me, no change, still an aching mess
Remember how you said we wouldn't last?


As I was saying the narrator is heartbroken. Is trying to walk away, put the phone away and forget. But they always think about their love. I think you may need another stanza here to help with flow, for example: Remember how you used to look into my eyes
Remember when you use to stop me from falling
Remember when you would comfort me and wipe away my tears
But now the memories deprive me of sleep


I close my eyes and visit all our hidden places
Hearing the sounds, smelling that irresistible scent of yours


Like I suggested, something about they can't sleep because of it for an extra stanza before this one. To carry on, the lines here are my favourite. Contain the best description, the best feeling. And I can imagine every word. The musk or maybe the perfume. The alto or maybe the soprano. But you always just remember them.

But you moved on and I guess I just have to face it
That you will never again appear at my door


(This actually reminds me of Little Do You Know by Alex and Sierra.) I think this cements the stanza as my favourite part of the poem. I have this image of the girl staring at the door waiting. Imagining the boy coming through the door. Ecstatic by the sound doorbell but it's just the pizzaman and they cry. Shake their head but they just have to accept.

I want to let go but also hang on to every detail
Because without our story my life seems dreadfully cold


Sitting with photo albums, fire in the fireplace and contemplating whether to throw them in or not. Wanting to give everything up but not wanting to let go. Sitting, biting her lip as the fire slowly dies.

And if I erase you there's no reason to wake up
There's nobody out there to fill this boundless void


Really not wanting to let go because everybody else isn't the person you love. Waiting, wishing, sitting there and crying.

I really, really like this poem, the description is good. My main critique is that it just feels like pieces taken from a longer piece.

Have a fantastic day
Lehmanf






Thank you very much for your nice words, I really appreciate you took all the time to write such a complete and beautiful review. Not only did you get the story/feelings behind it, you also came up with some very nice lines there on your own, very inspiring.. :-)



NewHope says...


My pleasure, yes, half the time my reviews for poetry are my own little stories. Have a nice day!



User avatar
1019 Reviews


Points: 67
Reviews: 1019

Donate
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:06 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



The person the narrator is describing is someone who lights up their life in a way no one else has,in a way no one ever has.It’s more than hard to let go of that person,your other half.You’d never truly forget them,no matter what happens.You never forget them.Great poem! I hope you have an amazing and awesome day and night.






You nailed it vampiricone6783, I wouldn't describe it better!! Now the phrase "someone who lights up their life in a way no one else has.." lingers in my head, I would only complement it with ".. and no one ever will". Thank you for such a nice review :-)





You%u2019re welcome!



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 3
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:25 pm
LostWriter wrote a review...



Hey there! Lost here with a review! :D
FIRST of all, you did a great job! I Iiked it but I think you could definately make it better.
I didn't quite get the rhyming scheme. The first paragraph rhymed pretty well but the last two paragraphs didn't go with the flow of the first paragraph.
Now coming to the body of the poem

"I was expecting for you to hurt a little less
After so much time has slowly passed"

Oh, that sounds painful. I can understand the expectations of the narrator after maybe being in a relationship for a long time, if I'm not wrong maybe that's what the poem is about.

"But look at me, no change, still an aching mess
Remember how you said we wouldn't last?"

I haven't experienced anything like that yet but as much as I can assume, it's hard to move on.

"I close my eyes and visit all our hidden places
Hearing the sounds, smelling that irresistible scent of yours"

Oh fellow memories... This is the perfect representation of teenage love where your mind is going haywire and you can't decide clearly what to do.

"And if I erase you there's no reason to wake up
There's nobody out there to fill this boundless void"

Beautifully written lines, I seriously loved these lines. You just showed how powerful this mere teenage love can sometimes be where you just lose your reason to wake up by just losing the person.

Overall, neatly done work! I loved it! A solid 7 out of 10.

Keep up with your writing!
Good wishes! :D




Random avatar

Points: 6713
Reviews: 130

Donate
Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:53 am
Stellarjay wrote a review...



Hello nashville_skyline,
I hope you are having a wonderful day wherever you are.

Roses

This is such a nice poem. It sounded like a conversation or a pile of thoughts. The long lines and how you put commas in the middle of the lines really helped with this! I noticed how you had a loose AA BB rhyme scheme going on. I enjoyed that a lot as well.
I close my eyes and visit all our hidden places

I especially loved this line! It was so simple and sentimental.
Also this line was so tragic!
Because without our story my life seems dreadfully cold

The meaning of the story was pretty straightforward, so I won’t delve into that.

Buds

The only major suggestion I have for you is to experiment with different wordings. So in this line:
But look at me, [/u]no change[u], still an aching mess

You could change “no change” to “unchanged”. I find that it flows easier this way. There were a few other lines with the same sort of thing going on. In some cases it doesn’t always help the poem along with having words like “because” “but” etc. Sometimes it’s better to just cut those words out. HOWEVER, that is purely a design choice and you can do what you want!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall I really enjoyed your poem! It was so sad and reflective. I loved how you chose to use longer lines. I should definitely try that out. The only thing that you could experiment on is your wording. Anyways, I hope my review was helpful and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Have a great rest of your day and keep on writing!
Stellarjay






Hello Stellarjay,
thank you so much for your review!!
First of, I really appreciate the advice about using/not using some of the words, you are totally right. I loved the change you suggested in the third line, beautiful! I will definitely try to steer clear of "because" and "but" in future poems, you're right it would sound much nicer using other words (just to come up with them.. :-)
Also, I am very happy to hear you liked my poem, it is always a joy to get a positive feedback. :-)
Thank you again and have a great day!



User avatar
218 Reviews


Points: 13763
Reviews: 218

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:05 pm
WinnyWriter wrote a review...



Hey, there! This is a well-written poem, and I enjoyed reading it. One of the first things I appreciated was the clean, organized structure and consistency with the stanzas. You have the same number of lines in each, and your rhyming pattern is fairly easy to follow.

The second stanza is an excellent example of including sensory details. The mention of eyes/vision, hearing, and smelling bring the experience of the narrator to a new level of reality and relatablity. Sensory details are something that I have repeatedly seen emphasized from people who give advice on effective writing, so it's great that you seem to have a handle on this feature.

I feel like the topic of pain is a pretty common one. We all face it in life, and yet each individual's experience with it is unique. It can be hard to know how to handle. However, writing can be an outlet for it. Your poem is a beautifully written expression of a firsthand encounter with this common struggle.

It looks like your punctuation and grammar are pretty much on. However, I did notice that the final lines of both your second and third stanzas end with no punctuation. In some styles of poetry, this is acceptable, but since this one is already so structured and organized, following the clean lines of traditional poetry rules, I think it is important to include the end punctuation for those final lines. It may have been simply an oversight on your part, but I just thought I'd drop that observation for you.

Your rhythm also seems pretty consistent. I especially love the rhythm of the line:
"But you moved on and I guess I just have to face it."
Not only does it flow really well with the two preceding lines, especially the first line of that stanza, but the rhyme of "face it" is a creative way of matching the sound of "places." I really like this.

Well, that's all for now. Really wonderful poem! Thanks for sharing. Also, if pain is something you're currently dealing with and you need an outlet, feel free to DM me if you ever need to chat.

Once again, great job. Keep it up!






Hello WinnyWriter,
thank you very much for such a positive review, you wrote so many beautiful things that I'll start to blush! :-)
I will definitely look into the punctuation thing, it might make my poems easier to follow, thank you, I really appreciate it!
And by the way you totally nailed it, my poems are the way I cope with pain and it's even more therapeutic to share them with nice people like you. :-)
Have a wonderful day and thank you again.




Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala