z

Young Writers Society



Koylyn's Story Part 2

by narniafreak12


Koylyn watched as the tips of the two suns rose above the trees. Then he went to the gate and the guard let him out. He hurried down the corridor trying not to be late. On his way to the stables he passed the kitchen; the smell of fresh cake rolls and sizzling bacon made his stomach grumble. Supper the night before seemed such a long time ago. Koylyn stepped away from the door and kept going down the hall. He couldn’t waste time begging for scraps. Cap’n would know and he’d be punished. Plus Mayell would give him extras at lunch like always.

He stepped outside and breathed the fresh cool air. It wouldn’t be long before the heat would rise and everything would get hot, very hot. Remembering his duty Koylyn headed across the courtyard to the stables. He was just about to turn and go down the path towards the stables when something caught his eye. An older boy, probably a visitor, was “picking” on a yonger boy. Without much thinking, Koylyn walked over,

The little boy’s brown eyes stared up at Koylyn begging for help. Tears slid down his cheeks as the older boy beat him. Then the older boy grabbed a stick from a nearby wood pile. Before he could hit the little boy Koylyn stepped in the way. The stick slammed down on Koylyn’s arm. A small sting rippled across his forearm but it went away and didn’t hurt much.

“Hey! What’s the big deal? This fleabag is supposed to do what I tell him to,” the older boy said glaring up at Koylyn. He glared right back.

“So? He’s little, give him a break. Plus I doubt whoever put you in charge wants to see him bleed all over his work or be too beat up to even do anything,” Koylyn said rolling his eyes. He turned to the boy and helped him up.

“If I was a slave like you I’d keep my mouth shut! My papa will tell someone about you and you’ll get a whippin’ or maybe somethin’ worse,” the boy snarled. Koylyn just rolled his eyes again. He was so scared of a little whipping. The boy stomped of in a storm of rage. Koylyn knew he had the chance of getting in trouble but he thought it was worth it see the boy safe.

“Thanks, mister. I gotta go now. Momma will be lookin’ fer me to do chores. Ba-bye,” the little kid said then he ran off down the courtyard. Koylyn smiled, and then he remembered the stables. He ran as fast as he could to the stables. He hoped he wasn’t late. He took one look at the Cap’n and knew the answer. He was late-again.

∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

Koylyn watched as the tip of the two red suns disappeared under the horizon. Another day was finished. He picked up his tools and headed back towards the stables. His stomach growled and his thoughts turned to food. Today was Saturday, soup was on the menu. Koylyn grinned to himself. The soup would be nice and warm; it’d fill him right up.

He stopped at the stable doors. Something was going on. The Cap’n was stopping everyone, and then he would ask them something. Dread wrenched through Koylyn’s stomach. He had almost forgotten this morning’s tussle with that bully. Not good. If this was what they were after, he would be punished. Then in the next instance he saw a few guards lead another boy away. The Cap’n let the line of boys continue on through the stables. Relief flooded Koylyn, but a small feeling for that boy was there. He was sure they were going to hang him… or drown him.

Shaking the thoughts of the boy from his head he put his tools in the bin. Then he hurried to help finish feeding the animals. He grabbed a feed sack and dragged it to one of the stalls. It was the newest horse, a real beauty. It had a white coat that seemed to glow even in the dim light. The ruler had just “bought” it from a horse farm out west. It was definitely one of a kind.

Koylyn poured some feed in to its trough then took the rake and began piling the waste in to a small mound. When he finished with this horse he waited, watching it. Anyone would be proud to have a horse like this. The ruler mostly just got them so he could prove he could have the best and get whatever he wanted.

“Hey, anyone down here still!” someone called. Koylyn whipped his head around, thoughts gone from the beautiful horse. An older boy was at the stables’ door waiting.

“Uh, I’m down here. Just about done,” Koylyn called back. He quickly gathered the wastes up and dumped them in to the wasted bucket. Then he put the rake and feed sack back.

“Okay, just making sure. Cap’n said to lock up. You better head to dinner while there’s still some left,” the boy said. Koylyn nodded then left.

Outside it was dark. Koylyn could barely see the stars because the torches illuminated the courtyard blocked them out. At least he could see them in his cell. It was quiet too. Not one cricked chirped or dog barked. Then a scream pierced the silent night. Koylyn froze, his fingers curled in to a fist by his side. Then he remembered, the boy. The guards must have just carried out his death sentence. Koylyn began walking again, but the scream didn’t leave his mind. The boy was dead and he would never breathe again. He would never see his family or do work or even eat ever again. Koylyn wondered where he went know, maybe to a better place or a worse one.

Koylyn got in the last of the line behind a really little kid. He looked to be about six. He smiled slightly when the boy turned around and looked at him. His baby blues eyes seemed to brighten at the smile. Those eyes clenched at Koylyn’s heart. They were so similar to his brother’s. A servant girl handed him the end of a loaf of bread. He nodded but she didn’t look up. She just fiddled with the wrappings. Koylyn bit his lip. He hated to think of what some of the servant girls went through during the day. He wondered if guards like Rolant beat them too or just the boy slaves.

At the end of the line he saw Mayell. She was a middle aged woman who had comforted Koylyn when he first got there. He had been pretty shaken up about his mother’s abuse.

“And how are you this fine day Mr. Koylyn?” she asked him in her accented voice. She had come from out west where it was mostly desert and farms, Everyone out there evidently sounded like her. Her smile always brightened everyone’s day. Koylyn still couldn’t figure out how she seemed to be so happy when life was not that great.

“It’s been an okay day, I guess. Same thing as always though. Morning wake-up, work, and now dinner,” Koylyn said grinning.

“Well, nothing bad yet so no reason to not have a good day, right? Enjoy your soup. I gave you extra to keep your strength up.” Koylyn nodded, grabbed and bowl and headed to get his water. He found an empty seat at the end of a table near the far left wall. The seats around him were mostly empty but he preferred it the way. It gave him space.

“Ca-can I sit he-here?” someone asked. Koylyn looked up. It was the servant girl from the line. She had a bowl of soup and a cup. He glanced behind her, the kitchen window was shut. They were done serving food.

“Yeah, sure,” he said then looked away from her. Most servants didn’t like being watched by others. Koylyn couldn’t help look back up. Her eyes were closed, lips moving slowly. He watched her a little confused at what she was doing. Koylyn noticed that without the thin cheeks, greasy hair, and flour specked face this girl might actually be pretty. He wondered what hurt the most in this life; no family, no guy to love her, no safety or protection, or no freedom.

He didn’t say anything but let her eat in silence. Thoughts filled his head. He wished he could help all these innocent people be free from the ruler, though there was no possible way to do it. Unless he had an army of course and that would never happen in his lifetime.

“What were you doing? I mean before you ate. You were sorta talking only not,” Koylyn asked. She looked at him, her brown eyes sad. “Were you praying or something?” She nodded slowly, unsure whether it was okay. “Who were you praying to?

She hesitated, then spoke, “I’d rather now say. I mean I don’t want to get in trouble. Plus so far nothing bad had happened to me, so I know he’s protecting me. Nothing like what hap-happened to other girls.” She stopped, her eyes focusing on something behind Koylyn. A few guards had come in. “I should go. Sorry. Thanks for letting me sit here.”

She got up, grabbed her plate and cup and then was gone. Koylyn watched her go. He hoped her life would get better. No one deserved to live as a servant, especially not someone like her.

“Hey, you boy, you best be getting back to your room,” a guard grumbled. Koylyn looked up. Three guards stared down at him with dark eyes.

“Okay, sir. I was just finishing my dinner, sir,” Koylyn said getting up. He didn’t look at them only at the floor. Then he grabbed his dishes and got out of there.

He headed back to his cell and once there the guard locked the door and left. Koylyn stared at the dark room. It was chilly, feeling like the darkness was creeping in on him. He went to the wall and climbed up by the barred window. He could see the stars and the bring moon perfectly from this view. He found the constellation called Jas. It was like a globe thing with two small hands wrapped around it. Someone had found it long ago and named it after a great person. Koylyn wasn’t exactly who that was or why they named it that, but he thought it looked amazing in the dark sky.

Koylyn leaned his head against the stone wall. He suddenly felt very tired from the day’s work. He closed his eyes, promising himself only for a few seconds. Minutes later Koylyn was asleep, fighting another nightmare.

∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

Koylyn ran through the forest, plants scratching at his arms and legs. Running next to him was a boy. He wore all white and his dusty-blond hair fell to his eyebrows that were just slightly above his muddy brown eyes. Koylyn didn’t know who he was but he knew he was here to help him make it through the forest safely.

An arrow whizzed by his ear, just barely clipping it. He stopped and touched his ear. His ear stung then the pain was gone. They were here again. Only this time Koylyn wasn’t the only one running, he was not alone. He looked at the boy who stood feet away. He wasn’t sure if this scrawny boy could make the run. Another few arrows flew by, barely missing them. They needed to get out of the forest.

“Koylyn? Are you ready?” the boy asked. He looked in to his eyes. They weren’t scared, not even a little afraid. “Come on! We have to go now! RUN!”

The boy grabbed his arm and pulled him a long until Koylyn’s legs began running on their own. They ran for the edge of the forest. Sunlight poured in to the dim forest. Koylyn’s heart pounded with excitement. He was sure he’d get away this time. After all he had a friend to help him.

With only a short distance to the edge Koylyn put on an extra burst of speed and tore through the trees in the bright sunlight. Then he screamed with joy. He was free, he had made it! He took a deep breath and smelled the fresh open air. The forest was no longer a trap waiting to happen. Then he thought of the boy, his friend. He turned around expecting to see him running up behind him, but that was far from what really happened. Koylyn’s heart stopped at what he saw. Two guards had there arms around the boy’s body. His brown eyes were no longer brave, but filled with both fear and a begging to be saved.

Koylyn couldn’t think. The boy had been caught so he could be saved. He had to rescue him from the guards’ hold. Otherwise he would die for running. Koylyn took a step towards the boy, only now he no longer was a blonde boy around his age. Instead it was a young child with brilliant blue eyes and dark hair.

Blood gushed from wounds on his little body. In his eyes was fear but also love. Without much thought Koylyn ran towards the boy. He had to save him, he just had to. No child should have to die for any reason. At the edge of the trees Koylyn hurled himself at one of the guards. Surprisingly the impact made the guard lose his grip on the little boy. Only now it was focused on Koylyn.

He saw the guard raise a fist above his head. Then he glanced towards the boy. He was still caught and dying. I’ve failed him. I’ve let them kill him. I’m worthless, he thought. His eyes locked with those blues.

Then a voice rose in his head. You will never be worthless in my eyes. In fact you have done more than even a brother chose to do. You have no failed me but instead made me a happier. And, Koylyn don’t worry you will be free just have patience and hope. Always have hope that I will rescue you. Because I love you.

Somehow in that half a second of thoughts, Koylyn knew it was this little boy talking to him. That this boy was willing to die for him no matter what. This boy he didn’t even know loved him for you reason. Then Koylyn remembered the guard. He looked up just in time to see a fist hit him straight in the forehead. Then everything went black.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so this probably has a lot of grammar problems and stuff because I don't really understand all of that so yeah, just ignore it. Any thoughts on details, or anything just tell me. Thanks!

-A freak


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 390 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:03 pm
!!AC!! wrote a review...



Nice! I like that there are two suns...it shows you that this is like another reality. I was pretty confused during the part where the Cap'n was stopping people. I didn't understand his motives, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the little boy Koylyn stopped to help. In the story, you speak of a ruler, is this the Cap'n? Anyways, you have a good story, but I think you're leaving too much to explain later. You're readers are going to be very confused, and it's going to take a while to go back and explain. Try not to make your plot too too complicated. :wink:





We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove.
— Mark Twain