Wisdom

by n1o2u3r4

A Wise Man foretold

After I posted the following poem under the category of “Essays” some reviewers argued it was not the right place. Besides, someone asked me to disclose its overall meaning and change it. Instead, I will give a short explanation showing what my intention was, regarding my work.
       The idea crossed my mind when I thought of many intellectuals nowadays in relation to wisdom. Even though they are perceived as educated and smart, they fall short of the average standard of sagacity. Good judgement and understanding are not necessarily the outcome of a highly-educated mind. Put differently, a wise man can be illiterate while a widely-read and cultivated mind may pass for a fool.
        What does really make a wise person wise?
I strongly believe that experience and self-culture are more effective tools to throw humankind into the realm of wisdom than that of books, acadamic circles and art. In one word, life, with all its hardships, and calamities, nurtures the mind and strenghtens the soul more than a higher education.                                                

Thought, intellect, and culture, no wisdom impart,
                                            Neither do books, literature, education and art.
                                            A cultivated mind, seldom, sounds like a sage.
                                            An illiterate fellow, much wiser with age.

Patience and perseverance are the seeds of maturity.
                                            Not, a widely-read, sitting on the couch, drinking tea.                             
                                            Calamity, paves the way for a subtle and a refined mind,
                                            Whilst the frivolous well-educated, by wisdom left behind.  

Excellence, only through self-culture and ethics, is achievable,
                                             Gaining experience and sophistication from pages, is unbelievable.
                                             So, whoever good sense and careful judgment strives to behold,
                                            “Stay far from the madding crowd of books,” a wise man, foretold.

Temi wrote a review...

First of all, I respect your views! There are refined and mature. Although I disagree with your understanding on the message. Anyways, that's another topic.

The poem is strong and show's a clear depiction of your thoughts on the subject matter. This is very good! Your choice of words is mature and makes the reader understand your voice. Also, you have a very good way of communicating to the minds of readers.
In my opinion, it's a good poem with fantastic potential, but still needs a little bit more thought.
Thank you.

SiriusBlack wrote a review...

This is a great poem but the one thing I didn't like about it is maturity and tea don't rhyme in the way I would have liked them to. You had tis excellent flow and then that. You went back to the rhyme that followed the pattern after that line so it didn't make much sense.
I like the message and the title really brought me in. Great work.

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic