The Warm Winter Wind

by mythh

It’s hard to describe
The obscurities,
I wish I had in my mind

It’s easy to list
The obstacles,
I wish I could just deny

It’s mischievously taunting to ascribe
My shortcomings,
To my handsome pride

However, sometimes I just live by
And smoke in the indifference
To exhale the fumes of hubris in perfect shape and form;
What a day it has been to be celestial after yesterday’s tragedy.

Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:19 pm
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi there mythh!

General Impressions

My first impression is that the poem seems mysterious. Each stanza seemed to hint at something a little different – “obscurities”, “obstacles”, “shortcomings”, so I kept guessing. Although I read the summary, the first three stanzas seem to build up to something else besides ‘a warm day in December’. It took me a while to figure out what the last line meant in the context of the title. At first, I was very puzzled by the use of the word “tragedy” and it took me a while to realise that it probably referred to ‘yesterday’s cold weather’ and not a specific tragic event that occurred ‘yesterday’.

The themes of the poem seem to be simplicity and nature. The speaker appears to contrast the complications of their own mind ordinarily to the simpler state of mind they have when the weather takes a sudden warmer turn, when they are able to “just” live.

Structure

Something I like about the poem is your use of repetition. The repeated pattern of “It’s ____ to (verb) / The (noun)” over the first three stanzas catches the eye and builds up tension. In that lane, I also like that the title includes the alliteration of three ‘W’s – Warm Winter Wind.

I think the line and stanza structure also works to build up the last lines and ‘point’ of the poem. The first three stanzas all have three lines each, but the last has four – and some longer ones at that, so the reader is naturally drawn to see that one as a big conclusion.

The poem has a consistent voice and tone. The speaker sounds somewhat bitter or sardonic up until the last stanza where they reflect on a more hopeful or at least neutral note. However, it still sounds to me like it’s the same person talking.

Language and Imagery

At times I found it kind of hard to understand the meaning of the lines.

The obscurities,
I wish I had in my mind

What does it mean to wish or want obscurities to be in one’s mind? I wasn’t sure and it didn’t seem to be overtly connected to the next two stanzas, which appear to be about personal flaws or troubles of some kind.

I like the idea of indifference being compared to “smoke” and hubris compared to “fumes”. I think this aspect of the imagery seemed to appear and be over very quickly, so it was hard to connect it to the other images that occur such as “celestial”.

I thought this was an interesting piece with a good flow as a whole. My suggestions if you’re planning to revise this would be maybe to consider expanding the poem a little bit, so that the different threads of imagery and hints can breathe (the poem seems to try to do a lot in a small space, for example I identified motifs of: obscurity, internal vs external problems, pride, the present moment and then of course, the weather). It might be interesting also to play with reducing the number of motifs and keeping the poem at the same length.

Let me know if you’d like more feedback on something specific, and keep writing!
-Lim

mythh says...

I will definitely revisit it after this. I'll write a more detailed response in a while! My phone is terribly inconvenient.

Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:54 pm
Ley wrote a review...

Hiya! Ley here to review.<3

First impressions... This is a very powerful and deep lyrical poem. I found the format simplistic yet effective!

When I was reading this I felt... Dark and challenged. This poem gives off feelings of angst and sadness-- but I didn't feel that. I felt somewhat empowered, yet weak at the same time. Your word choices really did a wonderful job of setting the tone of this piece!

My favorite line/quote is...I chose this specific stanza because it was the perfect ending to the poem. It left the reader to think and reflect, which is exactly what I look for in poetry! It also shows the opposite side to what the rest of the poem was about-- and sheds a light on how the narrator gets over these feelings that they're having.

However, sometimes I just live by
And smoke in the indifference

Some things I would change would be...Nothing! I couldn't find any grammar mistakes, your vocabulary was more than impressive, and the piece flowed very smoothly! The only thing I would point out is the punctuation in the last stanza-- I feel like the semi-colon after the word 'form' isn't needed!

Overall... This was a wonderfully intense and powerful piece. I really enjoyed your descriptive language and the way you portrayed the narrators feelings. Well done, and happy writing!

With Love,
Leya

mythh says...

Thank you so much Leya

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin