Aged-paper, ink and dirt.

by myjaspercat

There's this distinct smell of old books. You know what I'm talking about; aged-paper, ink, dirt. It's a comforting scent. One that reminds me of summer nights, sitting in the hammock that hangs above the porch at my grandmother's house in Los Alamos. It's like the saying goes, "never judge a book by the cover." And I don't -judge the book by its cover, that is. No, instead I judge a book by its smell. Yeah that might seem a bit weird, but that's how I've come to find the most intense stories I've ever read, because the greatest tales are always the ones left unnoticed. 

There's this thrift store I go to up in Santa Fe and every time I step over the threshold, I know where both my mind and feet are headed. To the far left corner. The book section. It's there that I glide between the shelves until I get to the very front, then I work backwards. Quietly I walk down the rows, brushing a finger along the spine of each book, head tilted sideways, lips moving in the shape of the letters -forming inaudible words; silent. I walk until a title catches my eye, then I stop. Gently I pull it from its home between its family and I examine it. Nose pressed to the closed book, I inhale. That initial inhale is like a right of passage for me, but at the same time, it's also like a first impression. Like somehow I can tell the story that it holds, every place it's been or every hand that it has been held in.

Yet, the real magic is the moment I open its pages, just enough to read its words without cracking its spine. It's at this precise time that I can fully take in the beauty of the book and everything that it is. I can see the meaning and importance that it carries, read its words and become teleported into a new life, a new world and a new persona. Sometimes it's romance, and I get to experience what it would be like to have a family, fall in love or even, fall out of love. Other times, I get to ride in fast cars, break into buildings and decipher coded messages. However, most of the time, I'm tossed into a giant maze of trying to figure out who the murderer is, or when I [as the victim] will become the next lifeless heap on the floor. Even still, it doesn't matter what kind of story the book contains. To me, they're all beautiful. They're all alive.

But lets go back to that thrift store, to walking down the rows of overly stuffed shelves, to brushing a finger along each spine and to inhaling the scent of a book. These are the days, that I find what I'm looking for; in myself, in the world and in others. I bet you're asking what I mean. It's simple. Every story is written by someone who has lived and experienced their own dreams, their own challenges and their own resolutions. The books they write are like collective thoughts; fiction or not. When I [or you for that matter] read, I experience someone else's moments, their memories and their passion. Those stories, the ones that make me cry, laugh or scream in frustration define who I am. They show the world what it is that makes me, well me. And it all begins with an inhale.

A/N: So I would really appreciate some help with this one. First, this is part of a final assessment grade for my AP Literature class, that said, I am not allowed to exceed 650 words [I'm at 582] and second it's due Wednesday. Please give me all your feed back, good or bad. Thanks so much!

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm MJ, here for a quick review. Since this is a graded assignment, I'll try and do my best to make sure this review is particularly helpful and give you a lot of tips. These are all suggestions, and your story is strong already, so don't feel obligated to take all of my suggestions. That said, let's get right into it:

You know what I'm talking about; aged-paper, ink, dirt.
There should be a colon after about instead of a semicolon

that's how I've come to find the most intense stories I've ever read, because the greatest tales are always the ones left unnoticed
What does the scent have to do with being unnoticed? I'm not seeing the connection you're drawing there. And the last statement- the greatest tales being unnoticed- is pretty controversial and isn't proven at all in your other sentences.

I walk until a title catches my eye, then I stop. Gently I pull it from its home between its family and I examine it
Isn't that judging the book by its cover? I think it would be more convincing and consistent if you said something like, "I walked slowly until the faintest aroma caught my nose, and then I stopped and examined the book, inhaling deeply."

or when I [as the victim] will become the next lifeless heap on the floor
There should be parentheses, not brackets, around the phrase 'as a victim'

Another note: In that same paragraph I would add the disclaimer (of sorts) that you only feel that way with good writing and maybe even mention that feeling what the characters are going through and experiencing is a sign of good writing

I bet you're asking what I mean. It's simple.
This is a different tone than you used in the rest of the writing, and for the sake of consistency I would rephrase it to say something like, "Even though this seems overwhelmingly complicated, it's simple."

The books they write are like collective thoughts; fiction or not
This should be a comma, not a semicolon

When I [or you for that matter] read,
This should be parentheses again, not brackets.

And it all begins with an inhale.
This is the PERFECT ending to an amazing story! Don't hesitate to PM me with any questions or ask me for another review; I'm happy to help! Sorry this review got a little long, I wanted to do my best to help you fix this up so you get that 100. You already have an amazing story, and most of my suggestions were minor things that will push you above and beyond!

Best wishes,
MJ

rosette wrote a review...

Ahhh, this is nice.
I wasn't sure if I was the only weirdo in the world who loved the smell of books. There's just something about it...

There's this distinct smell of old books. You know what I'm talking about; aged-paper, ink, dirt. It's a comforting scent. One that reminds me of summer nights, sitting in the hammock that hangs above the porch at my grandmother's house in Los Alamos.

Yes, I do know what you're talking about, and yes, it is a comforting scent. But I'm not quite getting the picture for your comparison. You said your grandmother's house is in Los Alamos, but I've never been there, or have any idea what it looks like, so I don't see how it compares to the aged-old scent of books. For all I know, your grandma could live right in the city or out in the countryside. And how does it remind you of that?

I don't mean to sound super nit-picky here, but this stood out to me.
And I don't -judge the book by its cover, that is. No, instead I judge a book by its smell.

I walk until a title catches my eye, then I stop.

I think judging a book by it's smell would be awfully difficult. You're kind of making it sound like you pay no heed to the cover OR the title (which would contradict that second statement). I'm pretty sure you don't walk into that thrift store, pick up every book and sniff it because you got to admit, that would be wacky, and call me weird but that's the impression you gave me in the beginning.

Yeah that might seem a bit weird, but that's how I've come to find the most intense stories I've ever read, because the greatest tales are always the ones left unnoticed.

First off, I find the "Yeah" really out of place in this work. It's a little too... casual. And I don't necessarily agree with this statement. There are a lot of amazing stories that the world has acknowledged. A LOT. Maybe you meant this in a different light? If so, I'd like to hear that!

Yet, the real magic is the moment I open its pages, just enough to read its words without cracking its spine. It's at this precise time that I can fully take in the beauty of the book and everything that it is. I can see the meaning and importance that it carries, read its words and become teleported into a new life, a new world and a new persona.

I feel a little confused by this. You're not actually reading the book yet, you're just opening it for a quick peek... and you've already gleaned that much?! You flow right into the genres, and different story types you've read after this paragraph, but never actually say when you went on from peeking to actually reading.

Overall, I found this sweet and simple, and yes, I liked it. I do suggest you go back over and edit this a bit; your use of semicolons was unnecessary, I thought. ; )
I hope you do great on your scoring, and thanks for this read!
cheers!
:-D

myjaspercat says...

Thank you for the review!!! I wanted to address a few points you made: First, I didn't really make it clear (so I can see where you were coming from) but the overall story has tie to who I am as a person and why this specific thing represents me... that's why I referenced my grandmothers house, because it's a memory I have associated with the smell of old books. Second, yes, you're totally right, there are a lot of books that are amazing and are acknowledged (if only you could see how many books I buy on my kindle cause Facebook or somewhere else recommends them) however what I was trying to say is that a lot of times I find my favorite books tucked into the oddest corner of a second hand store, written by authors not commonly recognized. Finally, with the third paragraph, I am already reading the book, not just glancing at it. Um, maybe I should make that a little clearer. Anyways thank you so much for the review I appreciate it.

rosette says...

Hey, that makes sense. Books really do kind of in a way reveal who we are. I love it! :D and you're welcome for the review!

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown