z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Equestrian Experience

by mundane14


The first time I interacted with a horse, I was only three years old. From there, I went on to ride for eleven years, learning valuable life lessons in that time.

There are two main types of riding styles. In Western riding, there are many different branches of riding such as pleasure riding, barrel racing, calf roping, and many more. In English riding, there is dressage, jumping, hunter, and others. The Western saddle is more suitable for beginner riders, so I began riding Western. My mother signed me up for a few riding camps. I immediately wanted to begin lessons. During my first official lesson, I rode a Paint horse in a large Western saddle. I held onto the protruding saddle horn for balance during lessons. I quickly improved over the next few months. My instructor saw my progress and let me go on a trail ride and I galloped uphill.

At the age of nine, I asked my parents if I could try the more challenging style of English riding. They agreed, and I soon began. Because English riding and Western riding are very different from each other, I had great difficulty adjusting to the new riding style. The Western saddle I first learned to use was large and bulky. The horn stuck up in the front of the saddle, and is primarily used for roping cattle. Under the hard leather seat of the saddle, a rough leather piece extended the saddle backwards. After changing to an English saddle, I was struggling to get used to the softer leather seat with no horn. That saddle was smaller and lighter. Without a horn, there was nothing to hold onto when riding except for the reins. The new saddle made me feel unbalanced and I became a more cautious rider.

I rode different styles of English for years to follow, never getting past a trot. My instructor sometimes switched my saddle, which made the ride feel different. My lesson horse would often be changed and I would have to get used to the gait of the new horse. Because of the changing saddles and horses, it was difficult for me to improve in English riding. This angered me at the time because I wanted to advance to a higher level of riding, but the changes gave me new experience. I perfected walking, turning without reins, going forward without kicking the horse, and worked on my posting trot. A posting trot is a fast movement that can take up to a year to master. I slowly improved, and I wanted to learn more.

As I worked up the courage for my first canter, I quietly nudged my brown horse forward, my heart racing. He picked up a smooth trot, kicking up dirt with every step. I settled into a rhythm and waited for the cue. I heard my instructor telling me to canter from the middle of the arena. My focus was on my horse’s steady movements. A mix of fear and excitement overcame me, and I nudged my horse into a canter. My horse’s long neck rocked as he worked to canter. I held the reins above his shoulders and between his ears. I looked up, as I was supposed to, parallel with the horse’s movements. The wooden walls beside me were blurred, but the curving bend in the path in front of me was clear. I nudged my horse and clicked my tongue as a symbol to keep going. My horse kept his pace around the corner, and I could feel my instructor’s eyes on my posture. Feeling uncomfortable about being watched, I lost my focus. I began to put too much pressure into my right stirrup, accidentally sliding the saddle to the right, towards the wall. My horse, sensing something was wrong, immediately slowed to a walk, then stopped. The girth belt, which held the saddle in place, began slipping until it hung on the horse’s side. I grabbed the wall and pulled myself off quickly before I could hit the ground. I landed safely on my feet, with nothing damaged besides my confidence. The horse was standing, waiting for my next command. My instructor rushed over to me and held my horse by the bridle. I was unhurt, but afraid. My teacher told me that I rode a good canter until my saddle slipped, and gently told me what I could fix the next time I would canter.

I was afraid to canter for weeks afterwards, but eventually was able to try again. I now enjoy cantering, and hope to try on my new horse, Nadia. I will wait until my instructor tells me I am ready. If I had the choice to go back in time, I would not stop the fall from happening. That riding lesson taught me many different things about riding, patience, paying attention, and most importantly, being persistent when trying new things. This experience has taught me to get back on my feet and stand strong, because almost anything, big or small, will get better.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:52 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there mundane14. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

I saw this sitting in the depths of the Green Room and now here I am. I was hesitant at first to read because I have been riding for so long. I have seen many attempts at writing about the different styles, that let's say, didn't live up to my expectations. I have used my experiences as a rider for many projects in the past and for 4-H. Most of my career has been in Western but I do ride English once in awhile and I am waiting to see what spin you take on things. Enough with my chit chat because this is where the real critique begins.

The first time I interacted with a horse, I was only three years old. From there, I went on to ride for eleven years, learning valuable life lessons in that time.

1. This is your opening sentence, that first shot you get to grab a reader's attention. I would say first shot out of the gate, but I think that's in poor taste considering the subject. There was nothing gripping about this statement that really made me want to read on. It was very casual and just stated your opinion in relation to a fact. You need to create excitement that draws the reader in and then you can just stick to the facts.
2. I remember writing something like, "When I first felt the rhythmic pattern of the horse's hooves hitting the sand and the wind blowing through my hair, I knew that in the saddle was the place for me." Now in reality I was five years old and such thoughts probably weren't crossing my mind. But I was on sand and there was some wind. It doesn't matter that this wasn't what I was thinking at the time, it's how I remember that first magical moment. You need to capture the magic of that ride and convey that emotion to the audience.

There are two main types of riding styles. In Western riding, there are many different branches of riding such as pleasure riding, barrel racing, calf roping, and many more. In English riding, there is dressage, jumping, hunter, and others.

1. In the first sentence it would help you to include Western and English. It avoids confusion when the readers move down to the next line. Why? Well you are stating there are two main styles then you jump straight to Western. Now most people do know about Western and English, but technically you should introduce both types fully before proceeding.

During my first official lesson, I rode a Paint horse in a large Western saddle. I held onto the protruding saddle horn for balance during lessons. I quickly improved over the next few months. My instructor saw my progress and let me go on a trail ride and I galloped uphill.

1. Large western saddle is not that accurate if you were three or four years old, especially considering if you were riding a Paint. All I ever rode were Quarter Horses and a retired race horse. QHs have large rear ends and I did ride in a saddle size that would probably be above my age but I didn't have a custom at the time.
2. Now it depends on the Western style that you were taking but many instructors actually tell you to grip the back of the saddle. Holding on to the horn is not as safe and that's why some people don't use that technique anymore.
3. Again for a three or four year old, an instructor would not have allowed a gallop, most likely at least. Maybe a canter or do they do it different at the school you took? See I never went to a camp or an official school. Both of the places I rode, it was for a family that used to give lessons or had a 4H club. I never did much official stuff and in the more recent years I basically exercised horses at these stables to get my lessons.

Because English riding and Western riding are very different from each other, I had great difficulty adjusting to the new riding style.

1. I don't think that was the right use of because. Maybe I'm wrong.
2. Just one more personal comment and I swear I'll stop. This probably didn't happen to you because you were only nine or so, but when I first started English I injured my back. It was because of the different posture requirements. For eight years I had two different Western styles driven into my head. I also got extremely offended at what the English instructors thought of my Western background. That experience is probably why I don't ride English very often.

I really did like your whole paragraph about cantering because I remember when I had to learn it in the space of a couple of weeks. Do you know about the Miss Cowgirl competitions? Probably not but anyways when they were doing their tour, I got to be one of the riders in the circle. And I hadn't reached cantering yet so I learned in the space of a couple of weeks. You should probably glad that all that happened was that your saddle slipped from the sweat. My entire bridle broke once when I was rounding the third barrel. Not fun when you're going full speed and you realize you just lost control.

Your essay overall was pretty good and I hope I didn't bore you with my life experiences. It's just so much easier to write reviews when you can connect to the author in some way. I would recommend that you go into more detail about those life lessons. You barely touched on the subject and it's a little plain.

Well that's about all I have for this review. Sorry if I couldn't offer any more words of advice/comments depending on how you take them.
Have a nice day.
Lizzy
Queen of the Book Clubs




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:24 pm
Aley wrote a review...



Hello Mundane14,

Welcome to Young Writers Society. I'm Aley and I'm here to review your work. This review will have what I liked, what I didn't like, why I didn't like what I didn't like, and, most importantly perhaps, how to improve. Without further ado, let's get to it.

I really like that you wrote this as an essay. It fits that format very well. I also really like that you go into detail about horses and how the riding schools work because I too, am a rider. I'm also taking English lessons so I know for a fact you got all of that information spot on in your essay. Good job.

I do think you have some improving to do however. Your thesis is that you learned a lot from riding horses, but you never really go into what you learned, just how you learned it. I think it would be valuable to shift the focus a little bit in this essay from how you learned it, to what you learned. The essay is somewhat bland at the beginning because you don't give us any sort of teasers about what you learned, and you never do include it. You say that you'd never change it, but why? What's the point of this essay if you don't tell us what you learned?

The essay style is a tool used to convince people of something. It's used to share information in a way that's both entertaining, and informative, heavy on the informative. If you want to write an essay about what you learned from riding, then share what you learned. For instance; during my short two years of riding horses I've learned how to be more confident in myself. When I started, I had no confidence that I wouldn't hurt my lesson horse because of my riding, but with my instructor's help, I've learned just how much we can succeed if I give him faith, and do everything I want to do. My lesson horse loves to show off, so when I ask him to shine, he gives me everything he can. My instructor assures me that I've never asked for something wrong, so I've learned that no matter how I ask, it is up to me to do what I feel is right in the situation to communicate with my horse because he will always understand what my instincts tell me to do.

From there, I can launch into an example supporting each point of things that I've learned and at the end of those sections, I can relate it back to how that helped me learn to be more confident in myself. Right now, your essay is just saying, "When I ride, I learned," but it doesn't go into what you learned.

It might take a little tweaking in the actual essay itself, but decide what that long story about you unexpectedly dismounting after a successful canter taught you, and make that your "what" so that you don't have to rewrite the story.

I really like the story and I think you did a good job going through it. You may want to break it up into a couple paragraphs though, like getting to a trot, finally looking up, and maybe include a paragraph about just how it feels to be going that fast and whether you felt bliss or fear from doing it again after so long. Just, break the paragraph up into paragraphs that incorporate one idea of how the ride was for you and how that built up into this dismount, and put a little bit of a summary at the end of each paragraph, just a line that teases how that helped you learn whatever it was you learned. I don't think we need a play by play as you get your hose to a trot though, just already be in a trot and when your instructor asks you to cue for a canter. That'll speed it up a little.

So overall, I really like the way that you wrote this. I think you have a really good grasp of how to work an essay language-wise, but you need to have a better thesis. Just edit in what you learned from riding, and I think this essay will be done.

I hope this helps!

Aley



Random avatar
mundane14 says...


Thank you! I'll definitely take notes from your comment.



Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 0

Donate


Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
— Voltaire