Fire, After

by mtempleton

Fire, After

And in the very ending of your world, forests will be flame. Mountains will blind in the heat of centuries. Oceans will chaos with the blood of the earth. All the empires of your toil will pass away.

And the stairway to the After will come down, in the city with silver walls.

--------------------------------------

The days were better now that the last hordes of the diehard were packing.

In years past, the Fires on the far horizon had stained it crimson. Now, in the very eaves of the sky, the red was faded, like blood in rain, and though, at night, they could hear the inferno like the wind inside a conch, sometimes they heard silence too.

The canvas roofs were folded from the square beside the clock tower. Two dozen souls placed all they owned, save their thick, pavement skimming coats and the pieces of fine weave muslin which kept the smoke from their lungs, into sackcloth. The crates were stacked on the carts which hadn’t yet disintegrated. The wind wore the walls another inch. The stone, grey granite, caught the death of the sunset and sparkled. Quite where the throngs were going was still unclear.

Ashe was too young to remember anything but the ruins. Her mother might have, if she had strained to think, but the hours, if anything, were longer where they were, and there wasn’t much beyond after which to lust. The Fires had raged in the distance for so long that the years had ceased to be counted. It was generations now. Decades. When hell advances for so long, it doesn’t matter if the exact date slips from the consciousness. Even the names of the ones who had started them had fallen from contempt.

There had been a cliché, just before the earth had burned, about being thrown from the frying pan and into the fire. Though mirrored, that seemed their world exactly.

If it was any consolation at all, Ashe couldn’t dread the world beyond their walls. Even the flames in the very eye of the inferno might have been an improvement.

Whether Ebony was afraid, or whether she had simply adjusted to the hell from hell in which they now resided, Ashe couldn’t read.

“You can’t stay here.”

Ashe hadn’t sat down. There was only one comfortable spot on that particular mound of rubble, and Ebony was perched on it already.

“This is where we have to be,” she said.

Ashe kicked one of the smaller stones away. It was difficult to gauge her thoughts; the better part of her face was covered.

“We’re leaving at dawn.”

Sunrise, sunset, it didn’t make much of a difference. The sky was burning either way. The section in between, where they grew restless in the ruined streets, or listless under their canvas, was equally as grey.

“You’re an idiot, Ebony. And you’re not even happy. I can suffer fools if they’re content, we don’t have a choice. But you’re not happy at all.”

“I’m not a fool either,” she on the bare rock said. “This is where we need to be. The After”

“There is no After.”

“I keep dreaming about it. No more pain. What is that going to be?”

Ashe turned her eyes away. A hundred years since the matches had been set, since their fuel, and their cities, and their warheads caught alight. Twenty, since the city had been closed.

“Everything hurts,” Ebony breathed. “The sky is screaming. I can’t imagine anything else. Not even numb to the pain. Free from it.”

“Pain is the hallmark of reality.”

Ebony laughed dryly. Ashe could quote the prophesies all she liked, but it couldn’t be that they were meant to hurt.

She stood, and stormed away. The diehard could leave the holy city if they wanted. She would stay until the Fire blazed against the walls.

“If that’s what you’re chasing, you’re leaving me behind.”

In the middle distance, if one craned and squinted and was talked into seeing what ought to be, there was a pool of a darkness so pure that it seemed the Fire would never take it, but that wasn’t a future to strike out for.

“We shut a thousand people in,” said Ashe, “and now we struggle to count thirty. What else is there?”

At the city’s gate, there was a cherry tree. It didn’t blossom, and the leaves, once emerald, were so coated in the smut of the Fire that they were petrified. The tree only leaned over the gap in the wall, warped to a crescent, bark so tight and knotted that it seemed a muscle under greatest strain. Ashe dreamed through the branches. She left among the first of the two dozen.

Ebony climbed the clock tower to watch them leave.

“You will be alone,” had come the final words.

“Then I would rather be alone.”

She sat in the curve of the great iron bell, safe. It had been years since the clock hands turned, and they were frozen forever at midnight or noon. Some had said that that was when the world had ended.

The breeze, like solar wind, abounded through the belfry. It had taken the spider webs years ago. The birds nests in the corners had grown brittle, and even their fleas were gone. But she could make herself believe the air was pure, and she let it tear the muslin from over her mouth.

At her eyes, at her back, at one hand and the other, the Fire raged. They had vanished before she had reached the top of the stairs, and her loneliness was in squinting for them across the plain. She couldn’t see a thing.

As hard as she lashed against the bell, it didn’t make a sound.

I have a feeling about this one. It came from nowhere, but I could expand it, in either direction. This could be a prologue or an ending, I don’t know. I’m sort of new to the genre, so comments on the idea, as well as the writing, please please.

m

Kale wrote a review...

This was very confusing. Whose viewpoint is this being told from: Ebony's or Ashe's? Also, a bit more background on who the diehard are and what "dreaming" is and why it's significant would be nice. As is everything, including the setting, is very vague and undefined, and that left me asking every couple sentences, "What is going on?"

So, yes, very confusing.

Bickazer wrote a review...

I'll be your reviewer for today. :)

Mountains will blind in the heat of centuries. Oceans will chaos with the blood of the earth.

I think there should be a "be" before blind, and a "be" after "Oceans". :)

I'm quite liking this little...prophecy, is it? It's a nice way to introduce the story, because it induces an element of mystery from the very beginning. And it has a very nice, poetic ring to it (plus, I love that it doesn't rhyme).

The "diehard"? What's that supposed to mean? O_o *confused*

In years past, the Fires on the far horizon had stained it crimson.

Is there a reason "Fires" is capitalized? You might want to explain why, because right now it's striking me as a tad...pretentious?

Now, in the very eaves of the sky, the red was faded, like blood in rain, and though, at night, they could hear the inferno like the wind inside a conch, sometimes they heard silence too.

I like this description, especially the big of "the wind inside a conch"; it's very evocative and figurative and plays nicely with the senses. However, I feel this sentence is too long; you should probably split it in two shorter ones.

The canvas roofs were folded from the square beside the clock tower.

I'm a bit confused, honestly, what you're describing in this sentence.

Two dozen souls placed all they owned, save their thick, pavement skimming coats and the pieces of fine weave muslin which kept the smoke from their lungs, into sackcloth.

Should be a "that" after the "all". Also, I had to read this sentence twice to get its meaning; I feel it'd make more sense if you moved the "into sackcloth" part to the front (after the "all that they owned"). I do like your concrete descriptions--you describe just how long the coats are, and the exact sort of cloth that the people wear over their faces. You don't use generalities. That's good; good writing is concrete.

The crates were stacked on the carts which hadn’t yet disintegrated.

Why would the carts disintegrate?

The stone, grey granite, caught the death of the sunset and sparkled.

This is some very nice description, though I figure you could just say "grey granite" and remove the "stone" part; that'd remove some redundancy.

Quite where the throngs were going was still unclear.

Wait...why are the people leaving in the first place? O_o Seems to me you're trying for an air of mystery, which you've achieved--but right now there's a bit too much mystery. I'm completely lost here, which is bad.

Her mother might have, if she had strained to think, but the hours, if anything, were longer where they were, and there wasn’t much beyond after which to lust.

This sentence doesn't make much sense...I do get the general sense of what you're tyring to say, but try to rephrase it so that it's more clear. It seems a little rambling right now. Remember that good writing is not only concrete but concise as well.

The Fires had raged in the distance for so long that the years had ceased to be counted.

Ah, we do have an explanation. I assume the "Fires" are something of a destructive force? Why am I picturing a nuclear bomb? (Though I don't think they're really like nukes).

It was generations now. Decades.

Should be "it had been...", and also, "decades" are shorter than "generations", so perhaps this would have more impact if you said "decades" first and then "generations".

Even the names of the ones who had started them had fallen from contempt.

Very nice sentence. It's a unique way to say "everyone forgot who started the Fires", and it helps show the peoples' feelings towards the Fire-starters. It's emphatic, and I like that.

Also, I like the way you're building up your world--not through massive info-dumps, but through interspersing the background details into the flow of the narrative itself. From the very first sentence, you've thrown us into this fascinating world without huge paragraphs of exposition. Good job.

I'm not quite certain what this paragraph means.

"Couldn't read" is rather odd phraseology; it's more typical to say "couldn't tell". Also, who's Ebony? I did like the way you introduced Ashe, just by mentioning her, but it doesn't work so well for this mysterious Ebony. Try to describe Ebony, what she's doing, etc.

I really like this paragraph. it's very...atmospheric, I'd say. And some very nice description that's evocative without being over-the-top.

Um...again, I'm confused about what this paragraph means. Though that does give me the impression that this is a post-apocalyptic story. Tighten it up and make it more specific, though, because as of now I'm just confused.

I like the way that Ebony speaks, in short sentences. It's very distinctive. Is she a prophet?

The diehard could leave the holy city if they wanted.

Again, you mention this mysterious "diehard". I'd like to know what they are.

I'm a bit lost again...perhaps by describing the setting more concretely, I'd be able to understand what's going on. I don't know what this "middle distance" means, nor the part about being talked into seeing or whatever. It's fine that you're going for a sense of mystery, but you need some concrete details to anchor the setting into the readers' minds.

Again, not quite sure what Ashe means.

The tree only leaned over the gap in the wall, warped to a crescent, bark so tight and knotted that it seemed a muscle under greatest strain.

That's some very nice, evocative figurative language, and a wonderful simile. You have a talent for imagery. :)

Ashe dreamed through the branches.

Umm...what's this supposed to mean?

Who's saying this? Ashe?

It had been years since the clock hands turned, and they were frozen forever at midnight or noon. Some had said that that was when the world had ended.

Wow...that's a very strong, haunting image, and again helps cement the story's post-apocalyptic setting. It reminds me of Watchmen, almost...

The breeze, like solar wind, abounded through the belfry.

"Solar wind"? Odd analogy, especially for a fantasy...

But she could make herself believe the air was pure, and she let it tear the muslin from over her mouth.

Again, that's a very evocative image.

They had vanished before she had reached the top of the stairs, and her loneliness was in squinting for them across the plain.

I'm very lost about what's going on here; what does this "they" refer to? And I have no idea what the "loneliness was in squinting..." part is supposed to mean.

Why is Ebony lashing against the bell?

Overall comments--I'd have to say that I like this as an atmospheric piece. Through strong, highly evocative language sprinkled throughout the story, you've managed to create a very desolate, post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Some of the lines sent shivers up my spine; as I said before, you're very good at figurative language. I can't explaine exactly what made the descriptions resonate so much for me, but many are excellently done and use few words to paint very concrete pictures in the readers' mind. That's good.

Your writing is also very technically sound; aside from the missing "be"s in the first few lines, you didn't have any other noticeable errors.

However, while I can tell you were aiming for an air of mystery, you went a bit too far in the "mysterious" direction. I was lost at a lot of points...and truth be told I don't really see a plot. I know we have a post-apocalytpic setting, and these ever-present Fires, and a desert city...but I don't know why all that is so. Though you described the setting excellently, you were very sparse with description of the characters. I had no idea who they were or what they were doing, except that Ebony stayed while Ashe left. I couldn't feel any real connection with them because I was so confused at points. Some of your sentences were also a bit awkwardly worded as well.

My advice is--scrap this piece, or use it as draftwork or a springboard for a greater story. You have a wonderful setting with this story, a setting and a premise, and you've proven your technical ability. Now go back and plan. I mean it, PLAN. A lot of writers (especially young writers) just write on the seat of their pants, but I can assure you as someone who used to write like that until recently, it'll never lead to anywhere. Work on developing your world, your characters, thinking of the storyline you'd like to puruse. Then, after you're done with all your planning, you can start truly writing. And this time, you'll know where you're going. You'll know who the characters are, what you're doing; you'll be able to figure out just how much information you want to keep secret for the sake of mystery and how much you should reveal so the reader isn't lost.

Keep on writing! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. :)

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)