Battle of the Band

by moosiegirl

My life is still a complete mess. I guess it was because I still haven't gotten over how bitch faced Carmille took my place, but that's for later. Right now I've got bigger problems to face. My laywer told me to tell him everything about my journey as a member of the Platnium Sun. I still have my pink hair and my memories but it's still not the same. I'll start at chapter one. My name is Brie Johnson and I'm being sued 20 million dollors by my record company.

"Eww Bobby! how many cans of bee did you have!" Evie asked him. Evie twirled the end of her dark brown hair and bit her lip. She only did that when she was upset.

"Noot muucth darhling." He slured. Evie looked at his stained graphic tee in disgust. I knew this was a bad idea. I mean Bobby can be such a boob sometimes. Especially when... well when he was drunk.

" Bobby you'd better get it together man. we go on in about 2 hours." Rieley told him.

I looked around the dark sweaty club. The only reason we were here was because Daniel's paperwork got left here. And so I blame our manager completly.

"BOBBY! I cried exasperated. "Hurry up!" I remember the days when every thing was as calm as it could be and we wern't a hot band. Those were the days when Bobby wasn't always drunk and when he could actually stay sane for more often of a time. That was when we were going steady and when the band wasn't overbooked.

"Indifferent... is that what i mean toooooooooo you!" Evie sang. Not to be rude or anything but there is a reason Evie's not our lead singer.

"Im back. Didja miss me?" Daniels Robinson stutted out of a crowd. "Hey I've got the papers lets go now!" Daniels paused. "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO BOBBY? EVIE? RIELEY? BRIE?! ANYONE ON THE WHOLE DAMNED PLANET?"

"4 buds happened." Rieley replied. Rieley played with his sticks. He had them where ever he went. He always ran his fingers through his hair when he was pissed off and someone. His hair was a complete mess.

"Well drag him out of here or something. THis is SO bad for your image." Daniels started pacing out the door. "Well hurry up, the limos out back."

Evie and Rieley grabbed his feet while I grabbed is arms. "Come on BB, lets go."

When we were in the limo, Bob woke up. "Hey my heads like up 60 miles an hour. I had the worse dream ever. Hot bitches all over me. crazy like shit man." Rieley looked like he was gonna punch Bobby.

"Listen man get your self together. Do you really want to land in rehab? Cause that's where you'll go if you need to. Do you wanna spend the rest of your life in la la land? Cause that;s where you'll land if you wanna." Bobby looked upset.

"Rieley's right." Evie said. "He just is a boob." She smirked.

"Come on. Break it up." Daniels seemed very upset.

Rieley put his arm over my shoulder. I moved closer to him. "I wish all our troubles would go away." I whispered.

"Me too Babe."

We arrived at the gig 30 minutes later. Bobby was more sane and well, we were too.

"My heads like better." Bobby said. "I think I can play."

"Are you sure?" Daniels asked. "If you aren't we could get a sub..."

"Nah."

"All right then." Daniels tucked his tie back into his suit. "Well let's get going gang."

We all trouped out onto the stage. I sat in sound check for 20 minutes while Rieley smiled at me. I smiled back. Evie and Bobby were arguing again, but for the most part, we were a normal band.

"Ok people, places." The sound dude yelled.

We scrambled off to the wings of the stage. Bobby on bass, Rie on drums, Evie on keyboard, and me on guitar and lead vocals.

The show started out with a bang of smoke and everyone cheered when we came out. I saw Rieley squinting and I followed his gaze as we counted about 2000 spectators. Bobby held out his hand in peace. Everyone cheered. When we were going steady, all the girl fans hated me. They all love Bobby. I mean I did as well.

Rieley started the count off with his sticks. 5 click 6 click 7 click 8 click.

Bobby strummed out the opening chord to "broken hearts".

"whenever I'm with him it feels so wrong/cause im still hung up on you/i see you and your new girl every day/and i pray that i'll mend my heart..." I sang my heart out. I guess the crowd could tell we were on a roll and the really got into it. The clapped and cheered to the rhythm and by the time we got back to the end, the sound was defening.

"Broken hearts dont fit together/broken hearts just fade away/you try to put them back togehter/but the pieces slip away..." Bobby and I strummed the last chord and the crowd went wild. Bobby chucked his pick into the audience. The scramble was pretty fierce.

After we had played all our songs, we packed up our instruments and went to the after party. I was kind of strange having to be invited to your own party. A bunch of people ran up to Bobby and asked for his autograph. I just turned away as a stream of fans, not nearly as big as bobby's came my way.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:19 am
Sam wrote a review...

Heya, Moosie!

First off, I thought this story was really interesting because not a whole people can write about bands and make it interesting- the Stiff Dylans in the 'Georgia Nicholson' series is an exception, because the author describes more of the background and the atmosphere at gigs. Usually when people do bands, though, it ends up like the 'Cheetah Girls' books, which were (needless to say) gag-worthy.

Your story, however, is like the Stiff Dylans- there's a problem, and some interesting characters to go with it.

I could go on all day about what I loved about your story, but I'm a critic, no? I've got to be critical. :wink:

DIALOGUE: is really tough to do convincingly. Myself, I've always got a problem with what to do with my characters while they're talking to each other- and you seem to be a kindred spirit. :wink: So! I'll lend you some tips I've found from other writers-

1. MAKE YOUR CHARACTERS DISTINGUISHABLE IN DIALOGUE: Not everyone sounds the same when they talk, right? Think of your dialogue as though you're acting out a play. What does one character sound like? The next?

This sounds really, really tough to do- and quite frankly, it is. This is where your characters help you out. There have got to be enough quirks on their part (you did really well in dialogue with your drunkard :wink:) in order to make them 'stick out'.

2. MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT A SETTING TO DESCRIBE: You can tell in your story that everyone is frantic, so you have things for them to do while they're speaking- looking at their watches, tapping feet, etcetera- but we don't quite know where they are. You may have even made a point of telling us where they are, but in the frenzied mood of the dialogue it was lost in translation. Think of it (again!) as a play. You've got actors, but it's super boring if it's performed against a white backdrop with regular lighting, right? This is why it's important to remind readers of your setting when people are talking.

3. MAKE SURE YOU CAN RELY ON SAID: I know what your teacher told you in third grade English- never use the word 'said', because it's boring. However, what a lot of beginning writers will do with their 'stuttered' and 'ejaculated' and 'yelled' is rely only on the verb to make their point. (Using adverbs to describe these, like "She said, informatively" is just a no-no. NEVER, EVER, EVER use this unless you've got a good reason to.) That's why it's important for a writer to experiment with only using the word 'said' after dialogue- can you get along, using your yummy descriptions and vivid characters to portray how they spoke?

CHARACTERS:

*coaxes Moosie out of hiding place under rock* Now, now, it's not that scary...

I'd recommmend sending your characters through boot camp (aka, Snoink's 'Character Development' course). You've got a lot of characters- and they're all musicians, so they've gotta be really whacked- but yet, I can only remember the woman-trashing druggie, and I don't even know what his name was. (Not exactly the best character to remember, either).

Hmm.

One thing that makes your story really stick out is unique characters, and here, when they're all artists, you can have pretty much free reign with them. Experiment! Have fun!

...hehehe, you can hide some more, now. :wink:

Good luck, Moosie! I really want to know where you're going with this- so if you've got a second installment, or just have questions about my ramblings, feel free to PM me. :D

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:26 am
Emma says...

You really are immuture arent you. I wasn't aiming it at you BleedingHeart. Only the first line. The rest was for Mossie. I'll make it more clearer next time.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:33 am
BleedingHeart says...

Dear Emma,
:shock:
U got it all wrong..

I dint write that story..It was written by Moosie Girl..
I was providing a review..

Emma wrote a review...

Bleeding heart, you're 23...

ANYWAY

MOOSIEGIRL

You rush straight into the story. You seem to give us no introduction. We are hit with these characters all of a sudden.

Plus, you just tell the story, you explain it, feel it... what ever. We want to know how Bobby's expression on his face changed, e.g. his lips curling out, his eyes looking down towards the floor. You know what I mean?

Always remember to put a capital letter after a full stop. The English teachers go MAD when that happens so best to avoid getting a smacking by putting in that capital letter.;]

But I do like what you have here, you have a plot and I would love to see where this is going.

I'm not meaning to be harsh or anything. You do so much better than what I did at twelve. I could barely write to save myself. Still can't. Plus I can tell you have a good imagination. Niceeee. So stick in there, pratice and please keep on with this story. Don't give up because a few people said something that might offend you. Here's what I say: do your best to prove them wrong. Show them what you're really made of.:]

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:22 am
BleedingHeart wrote a review...

I dun think im mature enough as a writer to give a review about anything.

But if u ask me my honest answer would be that it looks like you were a bit drunk yourself when you wrote the story. :D

It doesnt start or end at any point.Too many characters with no description about even one of them.

But at the age of 12 if u managed to write that much you have a great future.All da best.No hard feelings.

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon