School Analogy

by momonster

One day, a man was driving home from work. As he was driving, he saw his friend on the side of the road. He realized that his friend's car had broken down. But the man had a party to attend, and he didn't want to be late, so he drove past. "Someone else will help him," he told himself. He went to his party and forgot all about it.

The next week, the man's car got a flat tire. He pulled over and waved to the people driving by for help, but no one stopped. Then he saw his friend and sighed with relief. Surely my friend will help me! he thought. But his friend drove past him.

Luckily, someone else stopped and helped the man. The next day, the man called his friend. "Why didn't you help me? I know you saw me."

His friend said simply, "Because you did not help me!"

RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Momo!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

I really loved how you conveyed such an important and valuable lesson through such simple text. It was short and direct and you get straight to the point without lingering on descriptions or anything else really. I think it highlights the message of the analogy. You help others when they are in need, period. There are no 'buts', no 'ifs'. It is a simple fact, and you should stick to it lest you face the day when you are the one in need and the world simply walks by, ignoring any predicament you might find yourself in. Karma, I suppose finds a way to get back to you.

I am not used to reading such short pieces, but I don't think it would have the meaning if it was lengthened to fit more text that does not really go with the context. I am glad with your decision to keep it short. I love the slight satire you included with the thought "Surely my friend will help me!" It was not only ironical considering his actions of the previous night, but it also reflects the hypocrisy and the double standards of the world.

Overall, I really liked reading this. I guess it is true what they say, a friend in need's a friend indeed!

Keep up the good work and have a great day!

momonster says...

Hi MomoMajesty,

You wrote a great analogy. It fits very much into today's times, in that unlike the ones I learnt at school, you've populated it with a relatable plot that everyone can experience for themselves (flat tyre, invitation to the party...).

I especially like the fact that the story is short and crisp. :D You get straight to the point and it's understandable to everyone who reads it, which is what an analogy is all about. Stylistically, I think it's very good that you've divided the text into several sections, which could all be given a title. To analyse it is also very good, because you can clearly see how happiness turns against the man the further you read.
As you shout into the woods, so it echoes back out says a german proverb. You have transposed this well into the text. I would argue that the moral is that if you want something, you have to start doing something yourself - in this case, help. One is treated like one has treated somebody else.

The ending turned out great, when the friend tells him that he didn't help him, because the man didn't help the friend beforehand. It's a different kind of morality that is shown here, as you get it from other analogies. Perhaps it is a little too strict here, at least that was my first impression when I read it.

Since in most analogies you have a good background, or rather you learn what happens if you are not polite, or mean, you get punished. Here in the case, you even go so far as to have the friend come up with a very saucy response. I think it has a certain malicious pleasure (schadenfreude) in it, as he makes it clear to the man what happens if you don't help you. The man also comes across as very selfish with his previous comment, that he only thinks of himself. So maybe the text has more than one clear meaning?

In contrast to other analogies where fate and chance are spoken of, here it is clearly shown that neither exists and that one is responsible for oneself and one's environment. I find the sentence very expressive because it illustrates this. At the beginning I didn't like it so much either, because it feels like a punishment for the man and I also thought it would continue in an eternal cycle. Because the friend talks about the missing help. Did the friend had the problem because he didn't help somebody before?

Surely my friend will help me! he thought.

Here I would replace the exclamation mark with a comma.

It's an exciting analogy with a great message. I would equate it with being there for your fellow man in order to receive something yourself, because if you don´t do something, you won´t get something. Maybe you can come up with more analogies in the future. :D

Have a great rest of your writing!

Mailice.

momonster says...

Thu May 06, 2021 7:12 am
LittleLee wrote a review...

Gosh. I'm not entirely sure what the moral is... help those in need or you will lack it when you need it? Be nice or you'll experience karma?
Or, considering the title, "Help your friend do their homework or you'll have none when you do yours?"
Eh, something along those lines.

Is it, "Tit for tat ain't all bad"

As a short story/whatever it is, it's quite nice. The idea of helping those in need isn't entirely original for moral stories, but it isn't too often that those stories are written with the modern perspective of cars, parties and annoyed friends.

"Someone else will help him," he told himself.

Geez, this guy is a terrible friend if he prioritizes a party over his friendship. But I guess that's part of the point?

Hmmm. One could argue that his friend could have helped him anyway. It's morally the better thing to do, since revenge won't actually teach you to be a better human being.
But to be honest, I think I'd do the same as he did.

Perhaps you could have had the friend help him anyway, then show a conversation between them that shows the first guy how mean he was being? And he understands why what he did was unfair and pretty darn nasty.

Either way, it's a very pleasant read. The English is simple and easy to get through, the message imparted (or rather, the one I received) was loud and clear. Hard to define, but there you go.
Now I feel like I missed the message completely. XD

Have a good day!

~ Lee

momonster says...

See if you can guess the moral!

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela