z

Young Writers Society



Ice Cubes #32

by miyaviloves


End of Chapter Robert and Christopher

*****************************

Dinner was incredibly awkward, not as I anticipated it to be. Becca was in a terrible mood, I put it down to her probably being on her period, I knew from Sappy that sure did put girl’s in terrible moods. It was either that or just the fact that she really didn’t want me there. There seemed to be more awkwardness between Chris and Rob than anyone else, in fact I felt so at home that it was not normal at all. I wanted to start up a conversation, I could just feel the words scratching at the back of my throat, eager to come out. But the strange atmosphere at the dinner table struck me speechless. Chris cleared the table, keeping his eyes away from Rob the whole time. Becca made her way silently to my old bedroom and Rob sat at the sofa to watch TV. I opted to help Chris wash up the dishes, anything just to talk to him.

“What’s going on?” I said in a hushed tone, making sure my voice was not heard over the television. Chris plunged the dishes into the warm soapy water and began scrubbing, handing me the clean cutlery to dry and put away.

“Well…Rob wants Becca here now, he has the right to have her here every Thursday night and at weekends.” He pulled his hand across his nose quickly, leaving a small trail of bubbles across his cheeks.

“Is that it? I bet he wants her here because he misses me so much.” I smiled at him, putting the towel up to his face to get rid of the bubbles.

“I guess he does!” Chris laughed “But, I can’t stand that child…she is vindictive, vile, ergh.” He stuck his tongue out in dismay.

“So…what are you going to do about it?”

“I’m leaving him.”

“What?” I stopped drying and stared at him “Only because of Becca?”

“No…after you left it was just me and Rob…it was weird, like, I felt really awkward around him on my own…I know I sound so stupid saying that, we were seeing each other for ages before he left Clarice. But it was just different. I just don’t love him.” I looked down at my feet, the kitchen floor sparkled clean between my toes. I had always hoped that maybe Chris would leave Rob one day…but not as soon as that. It was like a door had been shut, and even if I found a way of opening it again the room that it was closed to would be completely different.

“So…does Rob know?”

“Yeah, we talked about it last week, I’m staying here until I can find a place of my own, but Becca doesn’t know, so can you keep it quiet?”

“Yeah…yeah I will…can you take me home tonight?”

“Sure.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
514 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 514

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:04 am
JC says...



I agree with Alainna, it is slowing down a lot. There really doesn't seem to be a plot or a problem or anything like that. Conflict. One word that all writers should keep in mind whilst writing. Conflict.

-JC




User avatar
410 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 410

Donate
Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:21 pm
Alainna wrote a review...



Another fantastic piece Meevs!

I knew from Sappy that sure did put girl's in terrible moods.

For some reason that just doesn't sound right. It goes kinda wobbly at 'that'.

I really like Ice Cubes but I feel like the pace is slowing down a little. Maybe it's because Jamiy is growing up, I don't know. But I'd love to have a big scene between Chris and Jamiy and maybe one with Sappy like Steve said.

Great work,
Keep it up!
Alainna
xxxxxxxx




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:20 pm
Jules the jester wrote a review...



Very short but i enjoyed it as always.

Look forward to the next part. Though i do still hate chris :evil: :evil:

I dislike chris. But i dislike his mother. And we aint seen Sappy in a while what going on with that??





Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield