Canned Beans #3

by miyaviloves

Jake left a good hour ago now, yet the conversation we shared is still prying on my mind. I never knew that people talked about me and Rob like that, not in such a crude and dirty way…I know that the neighbours must have thought something was going on, but the whole village? Its absurd. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Rob hadn’t of died, if I stayed with him, would he still be happy? Would I? I know I wouldn’t have the simple pleasures in life that I have now. Rob never let me buy honey. I love honey, it fills my mouth with so much sugar all at once that I feel like I will never be able to taste anything the same again. Mom was the first person to give me honey.

“Here” She said, shoving the pot into my chubby hands “Honey, its sweet” She smiled, her eyes glistening in sudden happiness “I got it from Mr Cloves, he said, ‘Give that to your lad, he could do with a bit of sweetness in his life’” Then her smile seeped away.

“But mommy, we must not eat honey” I gave the jar back to her “It belongs to the bees”

“Sweetie, the bees made it for you”.

I’m not sure why Rob had such a dislike for the stuff, but he banned me from getting it. But when you’re a kid, you do what your not supposed to, it tastes better that way.

Now I fancy a jar of the sweet stuff, but its half past ten and I cant go out tonight. Not tonight. There is always something that holds you back in life, so me, its my mom. I didn’t tell Jake about this, but, she’s calling me tonight. I found her.

silent_halo says...

that is cool. you told me to tell you when i have editted my story well i have. good goood byebye

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch