The Confused Princess

by misspriss

The Confused Princess

By Anna Nolte

Once upon a time, there was a very, very confused princess, who could never make up her mind. Whether it was deciding to have roast duck or stuffed goose, or choosing to have the blue silk or the pink satin made into a dress, she could not settle on one or the other.

The worst thing about it is that whenever she tried to explain to the cook or the seamstress why she couldn’t decide, they would become dizzy. Literally.

Eventually, after talking herself blue in the face, she would become lightheaded. Then she would ask the maid to fetch her smelling salts; but it would take the giddy maid so long to fetch the salts that by the time she came back, the princess would be fine.

One day it came to her attention that one of the servants had brought one of their friend’s relatives to live with them in the servant’s quarters. Of course, this was unacceptable and the princess had to get someone to shoo the beggar out, and decided that there was no better person to do the job than herself.

So after donning her finest and most stately clothes, she marched right up to the filthy servants quarters and knocked on the servant’s wooden door. As it was later found out, the giddy maid who had been so useless during the princess’s spells of dizziness occupied the room, and she had sneaked her friend’s old grandmother into her room and had been stealing food to provide for the old woman.

As soon as the giddy maid had opened the door and it had been established that her mistress was very displeased by this conniving that had taken place, the giddy maid fled the room from humiliation of being found out.

Unfortunately this left the princess in the room with only an old woman who was diligently knitting, to blame for this horrendous outrage. The princess moved in front of the old woman.

“I suppose you know how terribly in the wrong you are.” The princess said, hoping she looked incredibly regal, and that she might be mistaken for a queen. The old woman never even looked up, and didn't even stop her knitting!

“Of course I do my dear, but are you going to throw a poor old widow like me out of this splendid palace into the kind of rainy weather outside?”

The princess turned a little pink.

“Well…I-I don’t k-know…” she stuttered, trying to decide what to do, “look here, you’re just trying to confuse me, an-and it’s not going to work! B-Because you know I get confused easily and can never make up my mind, and I know that you know that I get confused easily so it’s not going work!” Suddenly the princess put a dramatic hand on her forehead, and closed her eyes as if feeling unsteady.

After a few minutes of silence passed, the princess slowly pried one eye open to sneak a glance at the old woman. She hadn’t seemed the least bit fazed and didn’t even show that she had seen the her distress.

“Don’t you feel the least bit confused?” The princess asked in a stern voice, rapidly cured of her spell. The old woman never stopped knitting but she did look up with a sensible look on her face.

“’Course not,” she said, snorting in a very unladylike way. The princess was amazed.

“Well, it is a funny thing, for I do not feel the least bit lightheaded either. Perhaps you could stay, I don’t really see what the harm in it,” the princess said brightly.

“Gu’day to ya then,” The old woman said calmly.

“Good day!” And with that, a much happier princess walked lightly out the room. On her way she met the maid, she wished her a very nice day indeed."

As the weeks turned into months and months turned into years, the unusual relationship grew, and fairly soon the princess came to talk about everything with her wise friend. Time passed quickly and almost before she knew it, the princess’s 18th birthday was the very next day, and on that day, as it was custom, she would choose a husband. A merchant, to be more specific. It was never really told why it would have to be a merchant, but it was suspected it was so the poorer people would not feel estranged from their rulers.

However, why the rule was made was not important, whom she would choose was the really significant subject. She took the question to the wise woman she had met before. As soon as the old lady heard the princess ask her whom she thought she should marry, she, for the first time since they had met, stopped knitting. The clickety-clacking was no longer heard, and there was a most alarming silence.

She must have sensed the princess’s discomfort, for as suddenly as she had stopped knitting, she resumed it.

“The baker.” She said thoughtfully.

“Hmm…” mused the princess, “why the baker? What’s wrong with the blacksmith?”

“Oh the baker’s a fine man, ’course the blacksmith may be strong and handsome, but that head on his shoulder has vibrated once too often from swinging that large hammer of his, besides, the baker is a handsome also, and sensitive. Yes, the baker would be a fine match.” Said the old woman evenly.

“Oh, I suppose your right, as always.”

And so it was that the next day she married the baker, and they ended up very well suited for each other, while the blacksmith, on the other hand, married the giddy maid, and they were well suited also.

After being married and happily settled down for quite some time, the princess brought her husband along when visiting the old woman. The moment he entered the servants quarters a grin broke out on his face and the old woman’s eyes twinkled like never before.

Then he said two words that made sense of everything.

“Hello mother.”

nah, I know you're not trying to criticize or anything.

Areida says...

Nobody's trying to come down on the story, atariel, just trying to give her some constructive feedback. It's a cute story. :D

atariel lossehelin wrote a review...

OK PEOPLE!!! PLEASE! Can I say to mr purple balloon or whomever, no offense, but lighten up?! Good lord. I thought the dizziness of the people the princess was explaining to gave the story some punch. This isn't the traditional princess story, OBVIOUSLY. And yes, that one sentance was a MAJOR r-o, but geez.

The thing with the baker being the old woman's son was a bit obvious to me, but then I'm freakishly good at anticipating where someone's going with something.

I thought it was a truly amusing story, and 'twould make an ideal childrens' book lol.

Areida says...

Not a problem at all! I had a good time reading it. :D

misspriss says...

Thank you for the feedback...at least someone enjoyed it. (Not that I didn't appreciate the other critiques, it's just that it's nice to know someone like it, right?)

Areida wrote a review...

I love fairy tales, so I enjoyed this piece a lot. You followed the fairy tale format to some extent, but since you didn't use any magical elements, it might almost be called a folk tale. I guess the dizziness the princess experienced might be called a magical element, because it could be the result of some spell, but since its origin was never explained, nor did it seem very important after the first of the story, it kind of faded away.

At the beginning I was a little thrown off, because it seemed like the princess was indecisive, not confused. She did get confused later on when she was speaking to the old woman, but in the beginning she was unable to make decisions, not confused about anything.

The only big thing that I can think of that would really improve the tale is some kind of moral that makes the story more timeless, if you will, something to connect it more to our own time.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the only moral I can think of is, "Be nice to old, wise women, even if they confuse you, because they might have a son who's a really good-looking baker with a great personality and you could get married!" Not that that wouldn't be a sweet deal or anything, but I'm just saying.

A couple of other errors/suggestions that I had:

The moment he entered the servants quarters a grin broke out on his face and the old woman's eyes twinkled like never before.

Servants here should be servants'.

"The baker." She said thoughtfully.

Punctuation error, should read: "The baker," she said thoughtfully.

"Oh the baker's a fine man, course the blacksmith may be strong and handsome, but that head on his shoulder has vibrated once too often from swinging that large hammer of his, besides, the baker is a handsome also, and sensitive. Yes, the baker would be a fine match." Said the old woman evenly.

Same as above: "...Yes, the baker would be a fine match," said the old woman. The 'evenly' isn't really necessary, though it's not terribly distracting if you really want to leave it.

"Oh, I suppose your right, as always."

'Your' is an adjective. 'You're' is the contraction for 'you are.' Make sure you allllwaaaaays remember the difference. This drives most editors and lovers of grammar and spelling absolutely bonkers. :P

Time passed quickly and almost before she knew it, the princess's 18th birthday was the very next day, and on that day, as it was custom, she would choose a husband.

I think 18th should probably be written out, if nothing else, just to go along with the fairy tale feel you've got going here. This should probably be divided up into two sentences, or at least separated by a semicolon as well. Something like: 'Time passed quickly, and almost before she knew it, it was the eve of the princess' eighteenth birthday. The next day, as was the custom, the princess would choose a husband.'

The worst thing about it is that whenever she tried to explain to the cook or the seamstress why she couldn't decide, they would become dizzy. Literally.

Hee hee! I thought these couple of paragraphs were very Gail Carson Levine-esque. I love how she does her fairy tale retellings with these kind of silly things all throughout; it's a lot of fun. :D

Once upon a time, there was a very, very confused princess, who could never make up her mind.

Oooooh... I got it! So she was confused AND indecisive! Okay cool. So disregard my earlier statement. Well, maybe not. Maybe you could clarify whether she got dizzy/lightheaded only when she was confused, or also when she was indecisive. If that made any sense whatsoever. LOL

Well, that's all I've got for you right now, but all in all, a very enjoyable piece. Thanks for the read!

Swires says...

ANI wrote:
Phorcys wrote:Then you review it before posting. Simple. No excuses please lol

Ooo... we really have a strict teacher here,lol. :wink:

lol-

Ani - do not interrupt me when I am speaking miss Ani. YWS Detention - You have to read Tolkien's LOTR series over and over until you are bored out of your mind lol.

Ok, Ill stop interrupting your critique now. lol.

misspriss says...

*sigh* Phorcys, your right...I'll review MUCH better next time.

Shine wrote a review...

Swires says...

misspriss wrote:I was kinda rushed when I made it, thank you for the feedback!

Then you review it before posting. Simple. No excuses please lol :D

Shine says...

Good try!Work on it and you will get the best out of it.

misspriss says...

I was kinda rushed when I made it, thank you for the feedback!

Esmé wrote a review...

Phorcys said it all. I have nothing to add,w ith the exception that I had o make myself read it.

Note: I am not saying that your writing is rubbish, NO! If you work on it a little more and follow Phorcys's instruction, I am sure it will be truned into a great tale.

Swires wrote a review...

Grammatically this should be a single sentence, you cant begin with "Whether". You may want to do something about that.

The worst thing about it is that whenever she tried to explain to the cook or the seamstress why she couldn’t decide, they would get dizzy. Literally.

They would "become" dizzy, not get dizzy. Also the fragment is out of place in a fairy tale type story.

Eventually, after talking herself blue in the face, she herself would become lightheaded and would have to ask the maid who was eavesdropping to fetch her smelling salts, but it would then take the giddy maid so long to go fetch the salts on wobbly knee’s that by the time she came back, the princess would be fine.

STOP! This is a single sentence, its far too long and full of rubbish. Ill rewrite it below.

There was alot of messy grammar in this paragraph, you may want to read stories aloud in future before posting - this way you can get a sense of what sounds right and what doesn't. Ive simplified the paragraph muchly.

On day it came to her attention that one of the servants had brought one of their friend’s relatives to live with them in the servant’s quarters. Of course, this was unacceptable and the princess had to get someone to shoo the beggar out, and decided that there was no better person to do the job then herself.

Spelling Error: One day....
The following reads better than your own, you had too many commas in a single sentence. Also typo - "than" not "then".

the beggar out. She decided that there was no better person to do the job than herself.

So after donning her finest and most stately clothes,

I arnt sure if "donning" is the right word in the context of the piece - after all it is a fairy tale type piece.
she marched right up to the filthy servants quarters and knocked on the servant’s wooden door. As it was later found out, the giddy maid who had been so useless during the princess’s spells of dizziness occupied the room, and she had snuck her friend’s old grandmother into her room and had been stealing food to provide for the old woman.

"Sneaked" not "snuck." Also, what seems to be showing up regularly in the piece is your over use of commas. Do NOT be afraid to end a sentence and start a new one, especially when you are writing the same sentence about various ideas. Also the word "and" is sometimes good but it seems to be your personal enemy. Try to avoid it when you have a run-on sentence and instead start a new one.

Again, this could do with simplifying. "conniving" is too wordy. Also take note of my comma suggestion before hand.

Unfortunately this left the princess in the room with only an old woman who was diligently knitting, to blame for this horrendous outrage. The princess carefully moved in front of the old woman.

Maybe "moved in for the old woman" would read better.

“I suppose you know how terribly in the wrong you have been.”

"You are" not "you have been"

The old woman never even looked up, much less stopped her furious knitting.

In personal opinion, I hate the phrase "much less" as it is often misused like in this sense and makes the piece read terribly.

I think "and didnt even stop her knitting!" would be better.

After a few minutes of silence passed, the princess slowly pried one eye open to sneak a glance at the old woman. She hadn’t seemed the least bit fazed and didn’t even show that she had seen the princess’s distress.

"Seen her distress" - You dont need to keep refering to "the princess" we know who the story is about so just use "she" or "her" - throwing in the odd Proper Noun here and there to avoid repetition.

“Well, ‘tis a funny thing, for I do not feel the least bit lightheaded either. Perhaps you could stay, I don’t really see what the harm in it,” the princess said brightly.

All through the piece the princess has spoken properly. Here however you use "'tis" which informalizes things. Use "it is" in order to keep the mechanics of the Princess's speech the same.

On her way, she met and wished, the purely astonished maid, a very nice day.

It would read better as "On her way she met the maid, she wished her a very nice day indeed." Also - why is the maid astonished?

As the weeks turned into months and months turned into a year, the unusual relationship grew, and fairly soon the princess came to talk about everything with her wise friend. Time passed quickly and almost before she knew it, the princess’s 18th birthday was the very next day, and on that day, as it was custom, she would choose a husband. A commoner, to be more specific. It was never really told why it would have to be a commoner, but it was suspected it was so the poorer people would not feel estranged from their rulers.

months turn into years.

Also you seem to skip quite a bit here and jump onto a totally different topic. I thought this was about a confusing princess? You run on for a long time with your sentences as well.

However, why the rule was made was not important, whom she would choose was the really significant subject, and she brought that question to the wise old lady.

Sigh, Im getting bored of these types of sentences now.

"subject. She took the question to the wise woman she had met before"

--This gives info on which wise woman it is, some readers could get confused.

“The baker.” She said thoughtfully.

Bakers were business men, as were blacksmiths - they wernt commoners they were middle-class tradesmen, merchants.

After being married and happily settled down for quite some time, the princess brought her husband along when visiting the old woman. The moment he entered the servants quarters a grin broke out on his face and the old woman’s eyes twinkled like never before. Then he said two words that made sense of everything.

“Hello mother.”

A surprising end, and a cliched end. In the fairy tale style it should of ended as a fairy tale.

Ok, this piece needs a lot, a lot of work in the grammar section. It seems to have run-on sentences, bloated verbs etc. I'm sorry but Ill be honest - I hated the piece, the conflict was drab and there were little morals like should be in a fairy tale piece. The whole thing was cliche but I was willing to forgive that because fairy tales are cliche.

Work At it and with my corrections you will be on the way to a presentable piece. However you may wish to change the story significantly so it actually makes sense instead of bodging two stories onto each other. The story is about a confused princess, keep it that way.

Regards,
Adam[/b]

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare