z

Young Writers Society



A Blank Page: Prologue prt. 1: An Alliance Betrayed

by mikedb1492


This is an idea I came up with a while ago, but I was in the middle of another story, so it was put on hold. I really enjoy writing this one, so I hope it has the same effect on you. Now, the entire prologue is 27 pages, 14 font, single spaced, in Microsoft Word, so it's obviously long. That's why I'll be posting it in parts. Even if you only review one part, it will be appreciated.

Edit: So far I've edited this story according to the following reviewers: pandapez, ankhirke, esme

And so we begin.

A Blank Page: Prologue prt 1: An Alliance Betrayed

Image

Gabriel Abrams sat in his study, hunched over the mess of parchment before him. The only light in the room was a dripping wax candle at the corner of his desk. He shifted uncomfortably within the blue and silver robes of an Adviser, which he’d recently received. No matter what he did with them, they always felt wrong, as if he weren’t supposed to wear them. He sighed. It would be that way for a long while. After wearing the robes of an Author for forty years, it was no wonder he felt unwanted in any other clothing. But he couldn’t let that bother him. He was merely an Adviser now, which brought him back to the problem at hand.

The papers spread before him spoke of past sales, trading agreements, and donations between the city-state of Varin and their neighboring kingdoms, the most notable being the kingdom of Mandred, who’d been very gracious throughout their history. They wanted the favor of the Varin, and since their reign stretched from the agriculturally rich Brazulian River Valley to the mineral filled mines of the Beorris Mountains, their gifts were quite extravagant. During the celebration of Yule the Mandred would send aged wines from their wine cellars, breads, pies, and cakes from the bakeries of South Head, and fresh hogs and deer from the Western Forests. These were accompanied by gifts of gold and silver fashioned into jewelry for the Author and those directly beneath him. For years this was tradition. During Abram’s reign as Author, not once did they miss Yule. But this year had been a different story, and it was surprisingly after the selection of the new Author, Gregory Archeim.

Abrams toiled his mind over why they didn’t follow the tradition. Such a day would be perfect for gaining the new Author’s favor, but instead they’d chosen to ignore him. Even now, no new donations had been received, and the Varin were worried. What would they do without their help? Over a fifth of their income came from the Mandred’s donations, and without them, they’d need to make serious cuts in their lifestyle.

He had been making some calculations, comparing the current income of donations, the profits from trading, and the Varin’s expenses. The Varin, from the outside, was a fortified stone monastery, with armored guards patrolling from above on walkways, each armed with swords and crossbows, and ballista were positioned at the city-state’s four corners. Moving beyond the well-protected outer shell, it was a place of peace and quiet, where talking was frowned upon. The halls and chambers were lined with bookshelves, and where they weren’t, tables were set up for the Varinian monks to translate, copy, and decorate books. This was where their only trade-related income originated, in the trade of books. Even so, these weren’t enough for their expenses, and so donations were a dominant necessity.

The old Adviser pushed up his glasses to rub his eyes. He was getting old, his long beard gray, eyesight failing. He could feel it in his bones; they ached with every movement, even the flick of his ink-dipped quill. He rubbed his fingers gently, stretching out the joints in an attempt to alleviate the pain. He wondered when the Grand Design planned to bring about his death. It would be good to die. In fact, maybe as a final request, he would ask Archeim to do it right away, that night even.

He began writing in the air, remembering how it felt to wield the fates at the end of his quill. He could clearly hear it scratching upon the ancient parchment within his head. How he wished to be within the Book Room right then, writing the world into existence.

But that couldn’t come to be. He’d already had his forty years as Author, and now all he could do was advise until he died. It was bittersweet; he was proud of his young pupil, but the power was no longer his. Even so, the temptation was still there.

The old Adviser let his hand plop to his lap, where a faint pang of pain rippled through his wrist. He silently wished he’d disobeyed the Grand Design. He could have easily left out the words that led to his pain. No ill would have come of it. The only difference would have been the comfort of an old man.

“No,” he asserted, pushing away such dangerous thoughts. He was glad he hadn’t given in to the temptation, and he also realized he couldn’t put it upon Archeim. To ask his friend to write down his death would be cruel and it would also give him a taste of power. Archeim was strong, but the temptation of the power he held at the end of the Book’s quill could take over if he wasn’t careful. No. He wouldn’t speak to Archeim about his pains. He would patiently await his death and let the Grand Design flow unhindered and unadulterated through the young man’s quill, for that was the Author’s job, to write the world into existence. If he followed the Grand Design to the letter the world would eventually reach its ideal form. He would be a good Author, of that Abrams was sure.

He began to chuckle softly as he thought about the limitations set forth for the Authors. If the fact got out that the Author was forbidden to alter the future, their donations would surely plummet to a measly sum. That was the only reason they got anything. The surrounding kingdoms brought gifts of food, gold, and precious gemstones in hopes that the Author would write their victory of conquest into the Book, or maybe write for a good crop that year. No matter what the aim, that was their only reason for donations.

As he continued to work, he heard an airy, thump-like sound in the distance. He looked up, but all seemed quiet. No footsteps came from the hall, no one spoke, and even the bugs seemed quiet that night. Odd but quiet. Nothing wrong. He went back to the job at hand. He couldn’t trouble himself with the sounds of night, for he needed to figure out what costs could be cut.

But they continued as time passed. Every few minutes he’d hear that airy thump, wonder what it was, but then go back to the papers. He thought he heard some voices and shuffling of feet out in the halls, but it wasn’t enough to persuade him out of his chair; his bones wished for as little strain as possible.

Then the airy thump sounded louder than before, closer, more like a boom or explosion, and he could feel the vibrations where he sat. Dust shifted off the tops of the bookshelf as the copper saucer of the candle rattled, dripping molten wax onto the table.

Abrams stared at the drop of wax that cooled upon the oaken desktop. He couldn’t ignore it any longer, whatever it was. He stood up and went to the window with the candle as another boom shook the room, making him trip and nearly fall, just barely catching himself on the windowpane. A few slaps sounded as books hit the ground, and the chair he’d sat in moments before rocked back on its hind legs. And then, after a few moments of silence, for the first time in living memory, the halls of the Varin were filled with cries of terror and pain.

“What in the blazes is…” Abrams looked out the window just as the wooden catapult creaked and launched the ball of flames into the air. It flew in a great arc, and as he watched it, he began to realize where it would hit.

Abrams stumbled away from the window, willing his aching bones to put up with the pain. A red glow shone through the glass and pooled into the room. He could faintly hear the crackling of fire as he yanked open the door and fell through. Not a second later, the flaming projectile exploded through the wall he’d stood at moments before, sending stones flying. Flaming pitch splashed throughout the room and set it ablaze, spreading rapidly upon every surface, even stone.

Abrams lay on the ground outside the study, his hands protecting his head. Flecks of stone and grime had settled into the folds of his robes, and he could feel the heat of the burning study behind him. He wasn’t bleeding anywhere, and after gathering his thoughts, he realized he’d somehow survived.

He groaned as he started to get up. But then he felt a sudden rush of heat from his left thigh.

He hurriedly stumbled to his feet and beat at the lower half of his robes, trying to put out the flame that he soon realized wasn’t there. There was only a white, waxy substance. Confused, he looked around his feet and eventually saw his candle, mashed flat against the ground with the copper saucer beside it. The flame had been smothered, but the molten wax still pooled. That had been what seared him, not pitch. He was lucky. Pitch was nearly impossible to put out once lit.

Abrams brushed the wax from his robes and looked around. The hall was filling with confused and scared monks. Bookshelves had been knocked over, their contents scattered across the ground. Some of the monks who hadn’t gone mad with fear were trying to collect them in the safety of their arms. But others trampled the texts in their hurry. Armored Varin Guards were patrolling the halls, giving orders. The old Adviser caught a few of their words.

“… get to the passage.”

“I need you all to just calm down and…”

“Leave the books! There’s no…”

“… or do you want to die?”

“The passage is your only…”

It was chaos. The once silent and calm Varin Monks were now no more than a confused herd of frightened animals. It was an insult of contrast to the usual peace of the halls, and it angered Abrams. He turned away from it but inadvertently looked back into his study.

Looking through the door, the study was a mess of stones from the obliterated wall, books flung carelessly over them. Flames danced upon everything, even the shapeless stones because of the pitch. Abrams found an odd curiosity in the fact that there wasn’t much smoke coming from the room, but then he saw the big, gaping hole of black where the wall used to be. It stretched up into the room above, weakening the floor separating them. It sagged, stones tumbling down from above. Abrams could see a bloody arm hanging limply over the crumbling ceiling’s edge.

The old Adviser cried out and stumbled to the opposite wall as part of the ceiling caved, bringing a brown-robed body with it. A cloud of debris puffed out the door and veiled the study in a dusty haze.

Abrams couldn’t help but look. The flames crackled and licked forth from the study door, trying to reach him. A few monks ran by, but as if in a trance, he didn’t notice. He just stared ahead into the inferno that was his study. As the haze fell, peeking out from the rocks, he thought he saw the pale pink foot of the fallen monk.

“Adviser Abrams, I need you to come with me.”

Abrams looked over at the guard who’d suddenly appeared beside him. He was young, maybe twenty, with no facial hair. He wore the Varin Guards’ plated armor, with the chest plate, greaves, and gauntlets. On his head was a leather cap with cheek flaps, beneath which he had long, brown hair tied in a ponytail. His eyes were desperate, and his armor-clad hand seemed glued to the sheathed sword at his hip. He was panting heavily, and sweat and soot cloaked him.

“Sir,” the guard said urgently. “I… I need you to come with me.” He waved down the hall, where everyone was running from. “Author Archeim says you can save us, so please come!”

The old Adviser was still in a daze, as if he were watching events unfold from afar. He squinted at the young guard and tried to comprehend what he’d been told.

“Sir? Are you okay?”

“… What?”

The young guard shook his head. There wasn’t time for this. “Please, sir, just come with me.” He grabbed the old Adviser by the arm and began dragging him down the hall.

Abrams didn’t resist. He stumbled along behind the young guard, trying to gather his thoughts. No matter what he did, however, he couldn’t get the images out of his head; the hand hanging from above, the body falling, the foot peeking from the wreckage. He shook his head, hoping the physical action would somehow jar him back into reality.

“W-where are you taking me?” the old Adviser asked as he stumbled over a pile of books. “And… What’s happening to the Varin?”

“It’s the Mandred, sir.”

“The Mandred!?” The shock, for a moment, banished the horrible images from his mind’s eye. Why hadn’t he foreseen this? The donations had stopped, so of course they were going to do something. “Are you sure it’s them?” he asked.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but the Mandred…” the young guard clenched his fist, the leather straps of his gauntlets stretching loudly. “… our allies, are attacking us. They must be after the Book.”

“What in the blazes is wrong with them?” Abrams cried. “They know that one can’t just pick up the Book and wield it! There’s an extensive process to go through that only we know.”

“I know just as well as they, sir, but they must think that those were lies. Or maybe they’re planning to capture Author Archeim in this mess, force him to do what they wish. Or maybe even you.”

Abrams shook his head. “If that’s their plan, then they have no hope. Gregory won’t be swayed by personal threats, and neither would I. But they must surely know what will happen if there’s no one to write within the Book, to write life's story. They would eventually need him, or me, to write within it, and even then the Grand Design would tell us what to write, what will bring about the fall of our captors and the rise of the new Varin.”

“I-is that true?” the guard was surprised by how confident the old Adviser sounded.

Abrams nodded. “Of course. The Varin are always a necessity in the Grand Design, and so if the Author follows its will, the Varin will rise again. It wouldn’t be the first time, I tell you. I believe the last fall of the Varin was around three hundred years ago, so another may be due. After all, the falls themselves are part of the Grand Design.”

The guard led Abrams around a corner, but then stopped suddenly. The old Adviser looked past his escort, curious as to why he stopped. He soon understood.

Before them was a group of four men, two kneeling in front of others. Each aimed a loaded crossbow in their direction. They were covered in grime, their armor having lost its sheen, sweating, and their trigger fingers looked ready to pull. An intense silence rippled between the two groups, each waiting for the other to move first.

But then a sigh of relief. They all lowered their weapons as they saw the Varin insignia on each other’s chest plates and their leather caps.

One of the four stepped forward. He had a gray beard and bushy eyebrows that popped out from beneath his leather cap. “Why are you coming this way?” he barked. “The orders were for everyone to evacuate to the passage, which is in that direction.” He pointed from where they’d come.

The young guard, with his hand still at his sword, said, “I need to get Adviser Abrams to the Author’s side right away.”

The bushy-browed guard frowned, unconvinced. “And I have orders to keep the monks safe by sending them in the direction from which you came. Wouldn’t I appear negligent if I let you pass?”

“But it would be negligent to keep the Adviser from where he’s needed!”

The two glared at each other, the bushy-browed guard’s lip curled with distaste.

“Enough!” Abrams bellowed with a voice reminiscent of younger years. He walked right up to the bushy-browed guard and looked him in the eye. “I don’t care what your orders are! I am Gabriel Abrams, the fortieth Adviser, and I have new commands for you to follow; step aside and let us pass! Or do you want the death of the Varin to be on you?”

The bushy-browed guard was taken back. He tried to say something, but all that came out was a vocal crackle.

“Exactly. Let’s go… What was your name again?” He waved at his guard escort.

“William, sir,” the young guard gasped.

“Very well, William, let’s get going.” Abrams pushed past the speechless guard with William close behind. The other three guards parted quite easily with their leader still gaping down the hall.

The only thing on the old Adviser’s mind at that point was getting to Archeim’s side. He was needed. It felt good to be needed again, but what was he supposed to do? He was no longer the Author, and for him to take over was forbidden. He could only advise. He just hoped that would be enough.

As they walked on, William thought about the passion that had taken residence in the old Adviser. He seemed more alive, and William now felt as if he were being escorted, not him escorting Abrams. It was a surprising, but well received, change.

“Sir,” the young guard asked as they were walking down a flight of stairs at the corner. “Do you even know where we’re going? I don’t think I’ve told you.”

Abrams nodded. “Of course. The Book Room. It’s in this direction, and there’s no where else around that Gregory would be.” The thing he couldn’t figure out, however, was why Archeim hadn’t evacuated with the Book yet. That was the obvious solution, for the Varin existed to fall for its existence. He’d have to ask him when he got to the Book Room.

They passed many more guards as they continued through the halls, but none seemed willing to stop the old Adviser as he trudged through their lines and ignored their words. William, however, wanting to be well informed, pulled a guard aside from a group that was going in the same direction.

“So what’s the current situation?” William asked. “I only know it’s the Mandred.”

The guard, Archibald, had orange hair, with sideburns that grew down to his chin where it met a lightly-trimmed beard. He spoke with his hands, waving them about to accentuate his point. “Well ya see, what happened is they came chargin’ in from the east, west, and south, catching us on three sides.” He brought his hands together with a clap. “Mashed us, they did. Would’a come from the North too if it weren’t for the cliff. I always thought that was mighty handy, worth more than a pretty sight of the sea.”

“Yes, yes,” William urged, waving his hand in a circular motion. “So what’s happening now?”

The guard hardly seemed put off. “Well, what happened, ya see, is they brought in some flash bangers on the eastern wall, and then…”

“Sorry, flash bangers?” William asked. By now he was sure this man was foreign, maybe from Albinai.

“Aye,” he said, nodding. “Flash bangers. Fire sticks. Things that go ka-boom!” He threw his hands into the air.

“Ah, explosives.”

“Aye,” he said, waving his finger at him. “Explosives. Anyway, they took the flash bangers and blew a hole into the eastern wall. Ka-boom!” He threw his hands into the air again. He then brought them to chest level and wiggled his fingers as if they were little soldier feet. “Then they walked right in, they did. They took us by surprise, I hear, and it was easy for them to spread. But don’t worry, Willy, our guys are keepin’m away from the Book Room. We’ll die before that happens, we will.” He pounded his chest plate with his armor-clad hand proudly, the motion picked up by the guards in his group. A morale-boosting clanking filled the air. “We’re off to fight now, we are.”

After that, the red-haired Albanite struck up a new conversation, one with a cheerier topic. The two hit it off well, and William found the man interesting, despite the fact he couldn’t understand half of what he said.

As they talked, Abrams walked alone, deep in thought. He’d heard the conversation and now understood the situation well. “What are you doing, Gregory?” he said softly. Some of the nearby guards looked up curiously, but a sharp glare from the old Adviser scared them off.

Walking for so long had made his old bones hurt, and he was breathing heavily. It made him all too aware of his current status as Adviser. Back in his crimson, Authorian robes he’d been able to do amazing things, even without the Book. He thought about how easy it would be to rewrite the story of his bones so they wouldn‘t ache with each step or to better his lung capacity and blood flow to aid his breathing. Even without the Book, he could do that and more.

But it was forbidden.

He was the Adviser, not the Author. Even for small benefit, he couldn’t rewrite the stories set forth by the Book and Grand Design. And so he would put up with the burdens of age.

He proudly reminded himself that’s why he’d been considered one of the best Authors in Varin history. He could do things without the Book that many of his predecessors had only dreamed of. But even so, it had been his resolute attitude towards the temptations that made him elite. He’d once declared, “I would rather die than defy the Grand Design.” But had that been true? He thought back to his weakness not too long before, back in his study. He’d thought about asking Archeim to write his death within the Book. He cursed that version of himself, that weak being he’d let take over. It was as if he’d awakened from a nightmare, and now he would never fall asleep again.

They reached the door leading to the Book Room. Some of the guards looked curiously at the door. It was so plain, if you ignored the size and heft, but there was a mystery about it. They all knew where it led, but none knew what exactly lay within. The Book was in there, of course, but only the Author and his Adviser were allowed inside.

“Would you like us to… come along?” one of the guards asked hopefully. But with a simple glance from Abrams, he turned on his heals and walked away, the others soon following.

“Well,” the guard from Albanai said before following, “I guess I’ll be seeing ya, Willy. We’ll be sure to keep them damn Mandrenites away as long as we can, so ya better do what ya gotta do and get out. Got it?”

William smiled and nodded. “We will. Good luck, Archibald.”

“Aye. Good luck to ya too, Willy.” He pounded his fist against his chest plate as he walked down the hall to battle.

Abrams waited until they were out of earshot. “Rather annoying, that Albanite was.”

“I thought he was interesting,” William said, defending his new friend. “And you have to admit he’s a good man.”

The old Adviser looked back with a risen brow, but it was soon followed by a smile. “Yes. I suppose I do. The world would be a far blander place without such loud friends, I suppose.”

Abrams put his hand on the door. It was special, one that could only be opened by those who commanded Authorian forces. Whenever he’d entered with Archeim he’d let the young Author open it, but for the time being he would need to. Doing such was merely frowned upon for an Adviser, not forbidden. And so he began to rewrite its story.

The old Adviser, once Author, could see the words that ran through the door, the ones that brought about its existence. Each letter sparked with bright life. With forty years of Authorian experience, it took him an instant to mentally pluck out and rewrite the necessary words. And then the door was unlocked. It opened smoothly.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 1990
Reviews: 254

Donate
Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:03 pm
mikedb1492 says...



Thanks for the review Esme. Long, but helpful.

First, considering when he gets his powers, I understand what you're saying, and I'll alter how it went down. But for the story he needs to have access to these powers. The first is so that he can get through the doors to the Book Room, and the other shows up later in the story as an explanation for some things.

Also, I may have made how he accessed his powers a little too dramatic with bringing down the mental walls and whatnot. It's not like his powers were sealed off or anything. He just uses his own resolve not to use them since the Adviser isn't supposed to..

To have this all make more sense, I'll go through some serious editing that will probably span the other parts of this prologue.

When it comes to William's POV, I think it's something I'll be keeping. I'll have to change some things, as you said, to make him a more stable character, but I still want to keep his POV present.

As a side note, I'll get rid of the story's description that goes over the Authorian powers, so people will be able to see if my story itself explains it well enough.

As to the other matters you mentioned (too many for me to go through in this reply), I'll be sure to apply them as well.

Thanks again.




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:40 am
Esmé wrote a review...




Rhythm


I begin to read, and there’s something I can’t really place my finger on, or whatever the expression is. The sentences themselves are fine, no real need to rephrase or anything (that might be inducing a feeling of, ah, offness, we’ll call it. We’re in parenthesis because I wanted to say that “there wasn’t a light in the room” does sound a bit awkward, but that it’s beside the point right now).

Text text text comma text text. Text text text comma text text. Admittedly: text text text text comma text text.

In other words, rhythm, or something along those lines. It’s repetitive and creates a bad illusion. Pecking at the eyes, the repetitiveness of it all.

Moving along, Varin as a city state isn’t plural? Below, I take it, it’s people not city, but I’d still go for singular up there. I’d also cut the commas surrounding “like most” – they’re a nuisance. Bah, I’m trying to keep away from the grammatical issues (and poking at them from every angle), so I’m not quoting. But we’re on the second paragraph now. Politics are nicely smuggled in, in an interesting way, and it’s not an info dump. So far so good. Actual information without being assaulted by mountains of facts.



Oh all right. I always gave in to temptation.



Quote:
On a usual year, during Yule, while the Varin celebrate the new year,

Not awkward phrasing, but like little ah, blobs in a pudding? (keep away from English references. Chocolate pudding, thank you very much). Fragmented. Consider rephrasing?


Quote:
But this time they had, and it was, surprisingly, after the selection of the new Author, Gregory Archeim.

Rephrase. Rocky sentence, I have the feeling I’ll trip any second. Comma spree to be killed, please.



Living expenses


I’m not sure I like the term (likewise “armed guards armored”) applied to a city state. Individuals can have living expenses, yes, but city states? Odd, and odd enough to stand out, I think. Living expenses as in food, food for the cat, electricity and etc. With “city-state” smuggled in there, we have ah, yes, living expenses, but of a government (even with actual people inside a city state), and it’s not living expenses any more. I’d tell you if I knew what it is now.

And the people. Monks, they’re described, living in what appears to be a “fortified monastery”. States that they’re monks below – why “appear”? Yes, yes, it’s not an outright monastery, but still I don't like the sentence.



Power Lost



Quote:
He began writing in the air, remembering how it felt to wield the fates at the end of his quill. He could clearly hear it scratching upon the ancient parchment in his head.

That’s scarcely two sentences! And then there’s a void.

So, basically, he was The Author. He was thought to The Power. And now he’s a mere Advisor – here’s where the void steps in. Him being uncomfortable in his robes was a wonderful illustration, but I think that similar feelings would have to be expanded here, especially here. The higher you were, the harder the fall, no?

Linking the subtitle with death, the writing of it is as confusing as this very sentence:
Quote:
He wondered how long it would be until the Book would have it’s new Author write his death within it.


Firstly, scrap the apostrophe. Secondly, when I first read this sentence, I had no idea whatsoever what is happening. Who’s death? was the question. His, Abrams, or his, the Author’s. Yes, there’s talk of Abrams demise, but still it’s unclear.





The booms.

Scrap the second “faint booming”. That was used to describe the first one, and the repetition stands out.

Mm, but I think I disliked how the situation was handled. He hears these odd sounds and then ignores them? I mean, yes, if he heard them only once. But then he hears them again and again. Wouldn’t anyone go out to check? As a guard, nearest person at the very least? Or if he were so uninterested, suggest that. I also found the “something was wrong” overly melodramatic in a situation where there was no drama. Odd, that.

The funny thing is that I immediately associated the booms with an attack, and maybe that is why I don’t like how the situation was played out. Manderin, I thought to myself. And then when it turned out that in fact it was an attack, it felt kind of, ah, insulting.

He could have looked out of the damned window?!

On the other hide, the fact of where the catapult was aiming was nicely done. I dislike, however, the shattering glass comparison of stone, as we have so much talk of glass in the paragraph without it. Also dislike the “okay” expression. The world doesn’t strike me as one which would tolerate “okay” words too well. And the “sigh” – I don’t like the “sigh”. Moan, groan, whatever. But “sigh” is just too – ethereal, for a situation like this one? Yes, he could sigh in something, but still.

So, I didn’t like the boom episode, but after Abrams does finally look out of the window, everything runs smoothly. Wonderful pacing, terrific descriptions, awesome narration.




After Boom



Quote:
Some of the monks, who hadn’t gone mad with fear, were trying to collect them in the safety of their arms.

Nothing particularly wrong, it’s just that I found that with the interference up there, the sentence has a slightly awkward ring to it. I went over it again and again, which in itself is bad.


Quote:
He turned away from it but inadvertently looked back into his study.

Pronoun pebble aspiration.

Leaving grammar.
Quote:
“What has happened?” he said quietly.

And here I though “Good God”, although I have to admit that I first read it as “good, good”. Nevermind. Back to what’s at hand. Abrams uses this perfect English, complete with “has” and in dulcet tones, too!

Come on. (cut “strangely enough” after the guard with no facial hair; just drags the sentence).
Abrams. Okay, fine, he can be a man of little words, so much better than all those other monks who are panicking (we’ll get to those), one who does not show his emotions. But for Godssakes he just saw a man – his pale pink foot! He’s under attack! There was, can you believe it, a catapult! A catapult!
“What has happened?” he said quietly.

If you were going for some kind of clash to the present situation, a clash you had, but a bad, unrealistic one.

And the monks. The bodiless bits and tatters of dialogue were a wonderful idea to show and describe a black mass, without showing and describing it directly. Characterization at its best.




Oh, Mandred!


So it’s Mandred. Ha. I knew it.

Insulting.

Remember how yesterday I wrote that you managed to give us info without the info dump? Well, then I went to bed and my thoughts drifted toward your story, and I thought to myself: why’s there so much about Mandred? To show policies, maybe, yes, but that doesn’t entirely excuse it.
See, I still stand by what I said and claim it’s not an info dump, but that doesn’t entirely mean I like the information layout. It’s as with that boom section, you know? I know what is going to happen, and I don’t like it.


Quote:
In the back of his mind, he realized this explained why their donations had stopped.

One word: obvious.

Back to information layout. Make it so it isn’t quite so obvious? I odn’t know, maybe that was your plan, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I like it, and I don’t.

On the other hand, the falls of Varin was a nice little detail.




Power Found

You’re not (my tone’s accusing) paying not much attention to Abrams going Author. He changes. Has a different aura. Yay.

Uhuh.

All through that part, I have this unexplainable feeling that it was written to be written, to be their, and that you were in a rush to get to the next part. Even if not, that’s how the end product came out. That scene is two-dimensional and terribly flat. On a slightly different note, I’d scrap entirely him going Author – perhaps a memory that he was Author once, etc., etc. – it’s so dastardly melodramatic, and is it entirely needed? No?

Yes, “passion had taken up residence in the old Advisor”. And could we leave it at that?

We find out that it’s so taboo and all. But then why does he do it? I mean, he could have done it without going Author! He could have! He’s an Advisor, called by the current Author! And what he’s done, it’s absolutely forbidden. Stress that. And he just did it, without much of a boom, I may add. Just a few words on the situation being mildly desperate.

Later on we get a description of what he actually did to the guards’ minds. But I stand by what I said, and my feelings don’t change. It’ s taboo, it’s a big big big taboo, obviously, and he just did it. Also, he had easy access to those powers, no?




Archibald

I don’t like his initial description, but I already wrote that somewhere (the part where Dear Will “figures”). His very introduction came out a bit flat, actually. “Foolhardy guard who’d talk”? Name introduction more so. Consider recrafting that part?

Narrator problems, you see, with that name. Narrator is third person but not all knowing – and suddenly we have a name popping up. How? (also, while we’re on narrators – there’s a direct “you” in the story which I heartily, heartily dislike. It’s not necessary, it’s not needed, and direct “you’s” look ugly – the part when Abrams and Dear Will reach the Book Room).

But Archibald is distinguishable as far as speech is concerned, and that counts a lot. He’s a likable character. That bit of dialogue about him, after he leaves is, however, priceless:

Quote:
Abrams waited until they were out of earshot. “Rather annoying, that Albanite was.”
“I thought he was interesting,” William said, defending his new friend.






Dear Will



Quote:
“Sir,” the guard said urgently. “the Author says your audience is vital, so if you would come with me…” he waved down the hall, ironically enough, where everyone was running from.

Dialogue punctuation – in a capitals sense. Also, I heartily dislike exaggerating irony. That’s not good irony up there.


Quote:
“Sorry, sir, no time for arguing.”

Link to “okay”. The horror. A guard saying sorry to an adviser. Yeah.

Quote:
“I’m sorry, but I haven’t the time to protect you



Actually, with this “sorry” I’d put up with, probably because of the “I’m” which makes it more tolerably. Slightly more respectful? But then on comes a parody: “I haven’t the time to protect you.” (there’s also a “young man’s fear” section I didn’t like, but nevermind that now). I’m sorry, but horrible piece of dialogue.

And then the young fellow there grows some backbone and suddenly has authority (run-in with the Varin others). Which is fine, yes, but maybe with a more smooth passage from A to B, then. Right now I can’t believe our guard’s, not their, insolence. Dear William has personality disorders (the “gasp” after Author-Author Transformation – elaborate here, from Will’s POV).

Mm, a thought just struck me. He found his Advisor quite easily, no? In that mess, that is.
I’m not too sure if I like the sudden change to his POV (“passion/residence” part). It’s been Advisor narration for so long, and then suddenly – as if I banged my head against the wall. No, I don’t like it. In the same paragraph we have his confession of being afraid, and him not showing it – I dislike that blunt sentence. Not for its bluntness, really, but for its part in the makes of the character. I think it should be signaled at the reader previously, somehow.

Then there’s him “feeling as if he were being escorted, not the other way around”. Terrific, but he’s only a guard, no? Defense capacity? Leader as in find the pathway leader, not leader as in “I am wise and you listen to me”.

Dear Will is definitely weaving his web (I don’t like the “so comma”). His role expands greatly; he has his own POV and we actually leave Abram to see him pull over another person. “What has happened” is awkward, though, and by now in a wrong tense. Me, I don’t know if I like this new expanded role. If it’s that horribly necessary. I feel that the information could have been slipped in more subtly, somehow.

From secondary character he becomes a one and a half character. There are phrasing attempts to distinguish his narration from that of Abrams, the ones which I dismissed and disliked (“so”, etc., and then there’s “he figured”. The horror. So – informal, all of the sudden). They work, but just barely, and they irritate me more than anything else.

Of Will, I don’t particularly know what to think. He’s inconsistent. He’s obviously not stupid, but doesn’t strike me as too intelligent – all those “sorry comma”. He “figures”. There’s the authority dilemma. As a character he’s unstable and under a question mark. From a mere guard he goes to having his own sections before once again returning to Abram.




Abrams

I’ve written a lot about him, sprinkled throughout the review, but he does deserve a section of his own. A collection of all those comments, and maybe a new one or two.

As was said, him being uncomfortable in his robes is a terrific illustration. Then were those two sentences which were not quite enough for me, and I repeat the petition of elaboration there. See, he was The Author. And now he’s a measly Advisor! He has to have some hard feelings, and if not, that should be suggested also. Those two sentences aren’t enough to let alone.

I didn’t like his behavior during the booms , although the catapult scene was wonderful. Quietly asking about what has happened actually made me laugh, but we’ll leave that. Here, especially here, when he sees a pink foot and all that jazz, I’d like to see a bit more emotion on his side. Right now he appears to be quite unruffled, and that is so not good.

Him/guard interaction. Here applies the above, also. There’s a section when he “fumes”, and that particularly irritated me, because he just saw the ceiling cave in! I by no means demand to see him panic, but just a bit more of a human face…

Conversation, conversation. Big blob of a dialogue paragraph, full of information. Abrams is quite happily explaining the mechanics to the guard (in the air: to us). Firstly, they’re under attack, there’s screaming, catapults, there’s a mess, dust, people are scared (and so. Are. They.), which aren’t exactly ideal conditions for a tea party. I don’t know, maybe he should think those things?
And then Abram goes all Author. Coooool. But before it was the guard who took up (picked up? Whatever the expression is) the initiative and he stood quietly by his side, cowed (?). Yes, he might be a “mere” Advisor if he was Author, but he’s still Advisor, and so much more important than any guards, no? I think it would have been enough to push on that authority, without being so melodramatic as using the Author powers.

Of course, we only ever see confidence. But still, I’d cut the Author powers bit, you know? I mean, that confidence and words would surely come through without? Once, obviously, the meek Advisor came out of his guard’s shadow.

Quite nicely done, the titles, by the way (“fortieth Advisor”, etc.). And yes, I get awkward commas if I want.

And oh, oh fine, he doesn’t have to be all wise and Author (without being Author!) from the beginning, he can even be in the shadow of his guard, but show us that he’s still there! Don’t entirely forget him as a person, as an Advisor, drowning in bits of his own dialogue. He’s a man of flesh and blood, and he’s there. And if he’s meek and all that, suggest that too, and explain. And elaborate.

I basically don’t like Dear Will taking over so much.

Then he’s back to Author, generally, and I’ll leave it at that. As a character I like him, he’s wellwritten and three-dimensional and all that.



The Concept


I find it hard to write about it, because you explained it before letting me read the prologue. From the explanation, I’ll tell you that it’s an interesting and original idea that definitely caught my eye. But I don’t know if without that explanation I’d still understand what is happening.

There’s Varin, where the Author lives, the Author himself, who has to retire after some time and cannot return to being Author, and then there’s a terribly important Book. But the Author can use his powers without the Book – as Abrams did. Now, I don’t know if I would have understood that particular section without your intro. But I can’t really say, since I did, and the intro is there.

To have a world rely on an Author (who at the same time can’t change the future, yes? So he has limitations) is a complicated idea. Interesting, again, but hard to pull through. And me, I still can’t get over how easily Abrams slipped into Author mode. Just like that.


Ending notes. Well-written story, kept my attention all the way through – not an easy feat, seeing how long it was. Fancy writing a 27 page prologue.

Esme




Random avatar

Points: 1990
Reviews: 254

Donate
Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:10 pm
mikedb1492 says...



I'm glad you both enjoyed it!

Pandapez:
I edited according to what you said and will continue watching for repetitions in my writing. I've been told such things before, but I tend to forget about it... Anyway, thanks

Ankhirke:
Thanks for pointing that out! This is the first time I've given myself access to all of the characters' point of views, and so I need such things brought up. I'll try and fix that jarring feeling right away, and, although I think the next part won't have any such problems, I'll check it too, just to be sure.

As a side note, I'll also see if I can do something about the first paragraph. I don't know for sure how or if I'll change it, but I will try to make it more hooking.

And by the way, I'll have the next part up later today, but not until after I've gone over it a couple more times.

I'm off to edit!
Well, I'm actually off to go eat, which will be followed by piano lessons, which will be followed by Summer School homework... But no one wants to know what's going on in Mike's life, so I'm off.




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 1190
Reviews: 36

Donate
Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:31 pm
ankhirke wrote a review...



The first paragraph had me sort of wary, but you managed to banish that completely within the next two. This drew me in and held me in a stranglehold. The world and concept sound fascinating (I have a bit of a taste for books that control reality) and you have a great eye for detail and pacing.

The only thing that bothered me was the brief switch into William's POV near the middle. Since most of the narrative has focused on Abrams' thoughts from a neutral omniscient POV, I'd go with an omniscient narrator at that point to tell us of how the Adviser has outwardly changed - this combination, I think, would feel a little less jarring.

I would really like to see more of this book-written reality, and would love it if you posted the next part soon. Loved it!

~Annie




Random avatar

Points: 915
Reviews: 26

Donate
Sun May 31, 2009 11:58 pm
pandapez wrote a review...



Hi! First off, this was amazing! I really loved it. You had so much depth in here and the way you presented everything was brilliant. Alas, I did find some things though.

Main Thing: Repetition

Though you did very good on this -- you have a terrific vocabulary :D -- you did slip up here and there.

Abrams toiled his mind....

Abrams had been....

Abrams sighed and pushed...


You started every paragraph here with Abrams. Try using he.

He sighed and began...

He sighed, letting his hand...


Same thing here. Other than that, you did good :3

Nitpicks

And the fact their actions were pointless was humorous to Abrams.


this line seemed awkward to me. Try rephrasing it maybe?

and I neither would I


Extra I. Watch out for this

I believe the last fall of the Varin was around three hundred years ago, so another may be do.


due, not do
And other than that, I couldnt really find anything. This was a wonderful piece and I seriously hope I see more of this soon. Pm if there is please :3

--PandaPez





You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind.
— Joyce Meyer