My Short Story ! ~

by miisstianaa

Hey so here's a short story I had to write in preparation for my English/Literature exam. It's on a hero. It's basically confusing, but I'm doing Advanced English and we're told to "show" not "tell. The guy in my story, he's basically whatever you want him to be. I guess this is kind of like Twilight, but not really. He could be a vampire, but it's however you percieve it. I thought he was more human with special abilities. :) Just let me know what you think, and if you have any queries, I'll reply :)

Thank youu !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHORT STORY

It seemed as though I was flying down the hallway of rowdy teenagers as I fought to get away. I couldn’t stand these hooligans even though I was one of them. Maybe it was not so much about the fact that they were wild and loud though it definitely contributed. Maybe it was more about the fact that I had to listen to their annoying objections towards me. I couldn’t stand listening to them go on and on and on about how creepy I was.. But I had to deal with it for the sake of who I was and what I stood for. There were people, if you could even call them that, who were my enemies that I had to protect my kind from. My duty was to act as a normal teenager at a local high school, where our enemies existed. This was a task that was not my forte, but to protect my kind I had to be tough and endure this agony.

Here comes the freak. What’s with the black coat?!’ I heard one whisper. The train of thoughts continued as I soared down the hallway. ‘What’s with the all-black look? The greasy, jet black hair, the long coat. He looks like an emo or something’ Ha! They compared me to an emotionally challenged being. I smirked at that remark. ‘Marcus, the freak-a-zooid’s He‘s so creepy!’ Great, so my name was well known around here. Why do they notice me so effortlessly when invisibility is all I desire.

I found myself at my regular, secluded corner, where I sat down to enjoy the serene teenage-free atmosphere and gave in to the warm sunshine. Even though it was isolated around me, and students were slightly visible in the distance, I could still hear their obnoxious, disturbing voices.

‘He’s always sitting in that corner. Wonder why he’s got no friends’ I growled at that infuriating remark. How dare that kid assume I have no…Something slashed my train of thought and had my full attention. ‘You mean the Crow is here? …So what do I… Find him and kill him inconspicuously?! Have you gone utterly ABSURD? How am I supposed to… it’s a school you know, with humans scattered everywhere!…What do you mean he can hear…’ Her thoughts were abruptly cut off. She was not a popular girl, but she had a definite entourage everywhere she went. Her striking auburn hair blew wildly in the wind as I strived to hear more.

Something was terribly odd. I couldn’t hear her anymore, though she was in close enough distance for me to evidently hear her. I did something entirely ridiculous - I stood up and slowly strolled towards her, hearing a low growl in my chest. Suddenly she glanced in my direction, and a flood of fear filled her eyes.

It all happened very quickly then. She turned abruptly and ran in the opposite direction, her red hair flying violently in the wind. I heard the school bus in the distance, huffing and puffing down the windy road. The bus was almost as fast as she was when she ran. As she’d stepped out onto the road, she turned her head to capture a glance towards me. She was so consumed in knowing where I was and what I was doing, that she didn’t realise she was about to meet head on with the bus.

Something happened that moment. An unexpected and unrecognisable feeling conquered my entire body. It was almost as though gravity could not hold me down on the ground anymore. My heart beat rapidly to what seemed to be a million beats per second. As though it sought after pouncing out of my chest.

My feet suddenly moved impulsively as I ran towards the girl, without even a moment of thought. My brain didn’t have a chance in negotiating the situation. Though my mind was protesting against this, my body just instinctively moved. The wind blew aggressively as I hurried towards her.

The bus beeped frantically at the girl, warning her to move. As soon as I was in close distance enough for me to lunge, I soared through the air as I grabbed her body in time for the bus to swoosh by. We seemed to roll for a while, until it ended and I was on top of her. Her eyes conveyed the fear a lot greater than I’d noticed before. But this time, it had a glint of something hardly recognisable. It was a glint of hope mixed with warmth.

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant