Outlaw - Part Four

by mihaivisan

Part One | Part Two | Part Three

I woke up some hours later to the sound of the telephone ringing. I had fallen asleep under a blanket on the living room couch and the damned thing was on the coffee table nearby, howling like the world was about to end. I stretched my leg and kicked it off the table and that made it stop. Until it started again, five minutes later.

I listened to it for a couple of seconds and then the memories of Missus Crane came crashing down on me; the sleep had submerged me in a pool of forgetfulness and indifference. I scrambled off the couch and down on my knees on the living room floor; I picked up the receiver and attempted to answer it, but my voice was too coarse to let any words out. I coughed once, then twice, while someone called my name from the other end.

“Mr. Law? Theodore Law?”

Her voice was soft and tainted with the slightest hint of panic. I asked her who it was that wanted to know.

“My name is Maria; I’m sorry to bother you at home, but I believe you have met my friend yesterday – last night, to be more specific. Her name is Serena Crane.”

I straightened my back as soon as I heard the name as a dog would when it hears its own. I told her we had met, indeed, and that it hadn’t ended well; I then told her what had happened. She said something I couldn’t understand and it was only then that I picked up a slight foreign accent; something from the Latin America, maybe.

“Mr. Law, Serena did not come back to my place last night. See, she has been sleeping on my couch this week. Last time I saw her was yesterday at midday; the plan was that she would meet you and try to hire your services and then come straight to my apartment. Mr. Law, I’m worried about her; I think her husband has done something to her!”

I felt the hair standing up on the back of my neck. I had been too quick to dismiss what had happened and there wasn’t much I could do about it now. I felt ashamed; I told Maria that the blow to my head had considerably rendered me powerless and I couldn’t have started to look for her friend in the morning. I wasn’t going to tell her how my instincts had failed me and how badly I had needed to sleep in order to sober up. Maria’s hopes were dangling by a thin thread and the last thing I needed was her trust in me to hang in the same manner.

“I understand, Mr. Law, but I cannot go to the police; Mr. Crane has everybody in his pocket. I need help – Serena needs help.”

I sighed – not because I had to consider whether I’d help or not, but because I didn’t know where to begin. There was the sound of a door opening and a crowd chatting on the other end of the line; somebody called Maria’s name.

“Mr. Law, I need to go, my break is almost over. Lets meet this afternoon, after my shift ends; we’ll put our heads together and see what we can come up with. Please.”

I said I’d do it and she passed me her address. She thanked me a couple of times and then she hung up. I showered, shaved and counted my blessings when I discovered the last pair of clean underwear in my laundry basket. Little did I know, it also was the last pair I would ever use.

I changed and headed out. It was a dull and grey morning and it took me a whole minute to light up my cigarette. The wind kept blowing at my fire and I matched its stubbornness until my Lucky Strike was lit. The first drag made me light headed. I needed to eat.

I rolled up the collar of my jacket and slid in through the packed sidewalk.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:26 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello and happy RevMo! :D I apologize that I haven't read the previous chapters of this piece, so I'll be looking at this as a part of a greater whole.

This is a very intriguing chapter. I can tell you've spent some time setting up this plot and thinking about what clues you're going to give us when. That's awesome. This chapter does a really nice job building suspense - we have this new predicament (Serena didn't make it home) and a new challenge because no one seems to know where she is or how to help. I don't know Serena because I'm coming into this story late, but I feel nervous for her. I hope they're able to figure something out, but this chapter also has a bit of a helpless tone. Like Serena is gone and it will be next to impossible to get her back.

The writing itself is good. I appreciated that you set the stage and showed us what was happening in the scene rather than telling. I thought it was really nice that you included action and description and how this MC is feeling as he's talking to Maria on the phone. Not only does it make it feel more authentic, but it also creates an atmosphere and adds to the suspense.

I thought this paragraph could be expanded:

This is a pretty short chapter, and short chapters are fine, but you should use every bit of space you have. You've been showing really nicely up until now and then this paragraph has more telling. I want to see what he says to her rather than an explanation of what he said to her. The inner monologue is great though. I love that you're showing us what and how he thinks.

Little did I know, it also was the last pair I would ever use.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but I don't like this kind of obvious foreshadowing that something is coming. Either he's about to enter a gross life of never changing his underwear, he's going to start going commando for some reason, or he's going to die. No matter what, this type of foreshadowing spoils the surprise because now we're expecting something major to happen. I would rather feel the suspense building (as you've been doing in this chapter) and then have my mind blown when something unexpected happens.

I thought the ending was a little abrupt. What exactly is he doing right now? It's too early for him to go meet Maria (unless it's going to take him a super long time to get there). Is he going to look for clues? Why is he leaving, where is he going, and what's his plan? I think some inner monologue action or some introspection here would work nice. You're good at that, so show us what the character's motivation and plan is before you close the chapter out.

Overall, intriguing idea and good writing! I don't normally read suspense, but if you're looking for more readers or if you would like me to read more of the story, just let me know and I'd be happy to do so! And please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! :D

mihaivisan says...

I don't normally answer to reviews, but since yours was so detailed, I feel indebted to you.
I see what you mean by 'obvious foreshadowing', but reading the first three parts might help with that. How? Ulysses actually dies in the first half of the first part. I wanted to get that out of the way, so the reader could focus on how he gets there.
Second: why is he leaving? Where is he going? What's his plan? The answers to these questions are all in there. Why? Because as he said, he needs to eat. Where? Probably to a place with food. Plan? He doesn't have one.
Thanks for the detailed review and, since you mentioned it, I do want you to read the rest of it. There are five parts in total; give them a try and get back to me.

Carlito says...

I'll add you to my list! :D

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:16 am
TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Hello, mihaivisan! Well done with your novel chapter here! Your writing is solid and concise, and you do a good job of describing each scene from start to finish. I admire the level of detail that you provide - you manage to help picture Law (whose name seems appropriate) clearly, by demonstrating his activities, involvement in what is clearly a potentially dramatic case, and his sensibility when it comes to his concern over jumping into this latest issue (which, as I've noted, is oddly smart of him, and helps depict him as a little less than utterly heroic. Perhaps that's for the better, since he lies on the grounds that he doesn't want to jump into a situation in which he's outgunned). Here, he seems to be a devoted, yet pragmatic individual, who is the midst of something he'd rather not be in, but has little choice to avoid it. In this fashion, you craft a solid and complex character without going overboard in details, simply by describing some of his emotions and sensations, among them forgetfulness, dismay, and seriousness. So, I appreciate your characterization and skills when it comes to developing the plot of your story

Beyond that, the plot of this chapter was fantastic. The sense of mystery and urgency that you provide surrounding Mrs. Crane is wonderful, especially when her friend began to become agitated and frustrated. After all, it does seem like she, and her friend, are in a hopeless situation, and the Law (get it? :P) is the only one who can help her now. However, given the way you provided a foreboding ending statement, I cannot assume things will turn out well for him. Honestly, now I'm curious to see what exactly is going to happen to him - will he die? Will he vanish? What will happen to him, and how will he deal with? Knowing that the story is just beginning, I'm excited to see how the plot and setting might expand greatly, as this brief sentences seems to communicate. Regardless, the pacing of this story is wonderful, as is my ease of an ability to slip into this narrative and quickly discern what is happening and the importance of it. Even mundane activities, when combined with questions and concerns that grab the audience's attention, and, of course, the eerie message accompanying them, are dramatic and fascinating.

Thus, all in all, great job! This is a solid chapter, with a good character development and plot, and I enjoyed reading this from start to finish. Personally, I think it would be more appropriate to include your statement "Little did I know...", or at least some other dark hint, at the very end of the chapter. That way, the full weight of your implications can catch the reader off guard, and leave them incredibly curious to read the next chapter. Yep, it might be a little cliche, but it does work. Nevertheless, great job! Thanks for this great story!

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:49 am
Haiimthomas says...

Thomas here.

Since i haven't actually read your previous one's (I shall do that now, though!) it was really easy to pick up (As stated by Dracula below, too ;) ) Nicely done.

I must say, this was a very easy read. My eyes glided through it like a knife to butter. Very impressive.
Cant see anything major wrong with it, nor minor. Not that i have a super critical eye.

I look forward to reading the next chapter/part!

Happy writing.

Thomas :)

Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:01 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, mihaivisan! I'm curious to know, are these 'parts' actually chapters? Or is this story a novella which you've split into different parts for ease of reviewing? Not that it really makes any difference, I'm just curious.

The first paragraph contained a great amount of 'here's what you missed' information. I was able to jump straight into the story since you told me exactly what I needed to know, that he'd been sleeping on the couch and was now being awoken by a phone.

Her voice was soft and tainted with the slightest hint of panic.
So is the language she uses in her speech! You've written your dialogue extremely well; each of the characters have their own distinct voices and that made this really enjoyable to read.

I told Maria that the blow to my head had considerably rendered me powerless and I couldn’t have started to look for her friend in the morning.
This sentence is a little awkward to read, I suggest you reword it. Some changes I would make are rendered me considerably powerless and look for her friend this morning.

Lets meet this afternoon, after my shift ends; we’ll put our heads together and see what we can come up with.
Let's needs that extra bit of punctuation.

Nitpicks aside, there's nothing major that you need to fix, in my opinion. I enjoyed reading this. :D

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour