The Sky

by midnightdreary

Hi! My friend's birthday is coming up, and among other things, I would like to give her a poem. I know it's a little weird, but I never share the poems I write with anyone really, but this person means a lot to me, so I want to give them a poem. 

So if you decide to review, could you please really rip it apart, or just tell me if it's too bad to be fixed? I want to give my friend a poem that she'll truly enjoy. 

Thanks in advance for reading my poem!

TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Eh, I dunno if there's ever truly a poem bad enough that it can't be fixed. It might take a lot of revision, whether in the language, core ideas, or both, and the end result may only barely resemble the original, but any and all poems can be changed and made better with the right hands and the right minds. Hence, you don't need to worry so much, particularly since this poem is good.

I mean, it's not perfect. I'd like to reiterate what an earlier reviewer said in adding a comma in the second line. In the final stanza, "only a little at first" isn't directly enough related to the main train of thought that it warrants commas, and might be better implemented in dashes or parentheses. So, basically, "It began to rain -/ only a little at first -", or "It began to rain/ (only a little at first)". A comma between "then" and "before" can also improve the flow of that line. The final metaphor also doesn't make too much sense to me (even though I've always loved the sound of the word plopped), since the previous two looked like the two steps before a kiss, whereas this one appears to be focused on a joke. It might be better to describe it in terms of the sun kissing, and then weeping in joy, or something similarly suitable and sweet (as long as you keep plopped, of course. :P), so the consistency of the stanzas is kept.

Still though, I love this poem. It's delightful, charming, and warm. The description of the sky blushing, and hiding it in clouds, was adorable to me, and I admire the way you interweave metaphors with the weather. Sure, it's rain, but it comes in warm weather and is outlined by the sun, so the result is, literally and otherwise, bright and refreshing. If you wanted to expand on the metaphor, you could always describe the way that the sun reflects its light on the raindrops, the enjoyment of the narrator and the other person, and perhaps even something like them dancing in the rain. As such, you can keep the cheerful and loving tone going, and add some more emotion to the piece. I'm just throwing out ideas, and you don't have to listen to them - the poem stands on its own already, and, though it might need some touching up, was great to read through. Well done, and I hope your friend likes it!

Thank you for your review! It's much appreciated. I'll make sure to take your suggestions into account.

Hi there Midnight.
What a lovely idea, to give your friend such a personal birthday present - I'm sure she'd love it even if it weren't perfect because the sentiment is just super sweet.
I'm not great at poetry reviews, but I'm going to give this my best shot.

No it was more yellow-orange

I think you need a comma after 'No'. Also, a personal opinion I think it flows better if you switch orange and yellow and add 'an' after more. So it would look like this:
No, it was more an orange-yellow' .

In the second stanza, you mention that the water was seeming to fill your lungs. This seems like quite negative imagery for something that is, on the whole, a positive piece of poetry. It sounds akin to drowning, from this description. I'm not sure quite what to suggest you change it to, but I think it needs altering, nonetheless.

There's lovely imagery within this poem and I think that's in keeping with the intention behind it - it shines through, which is great. The last thing I would consider is the use of the word 'plopped' in the last stanza. Maybe 'spilled' would be a good substitute?

Anyway, I hope this was somewhat helpful and I'm sure your friend will love it, even if you don't make any revisions to it!

Until next time.
Icy.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll make sure to try and add them in!

Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Steggy here for a short review!

That's so sweet that you're writing your friend a birthday poem! I haven't read many poems to where they are dedicated to someone and I find that really interesting that you are doing it. The poem, itself, has a nice idea to it. Because you have some nice comparisons between some minor things that most people don't really think about. One thing I like about this is the description that is held within the poem between the words. Basically, when you are describing the sky or the clouds, it does seem to hold true with the theme. Your beginning is nice and opens the poem quite nicely. One thing I would suggest for this would be the first two stanzas. Dealing with the first stanza, the opening feels too open. Personally, I would say something like: 'as I was outside today/it was cloudy, but not gray'. Because you are bringing yourself into the poem and kind of relating your feelings to it if that makes sense.

the water stuck to your skin
and seemed to fill your lungs

I do like these two stanzas but with what you are saying in the previous two stanzas, it makes it seem like the humidity in the air is trying to drown you. Perhaps you could say 'residue covered your lungs' or something similar.

Overall, this poem has a sweet theme to it. It makes me just happy reading it. I do enjoy the sort of rhyme scheme you were trying to have here. Anyway, if you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

Thank you for the review! I'll make sure to try and add your suggestions in!

I really love a poems that have a figurative meaning. ..

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed!

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie