The Origins of Buddhism

by michellekim31505

Buddhism was founded in India in the sixth century and was eventually brought to China by the first century. Overtime, Buddhism gradually converted the people following the collapse of the Han dynasty. During this time of instability, Buddhism was accepted, however, as China’s political structure regained its power, many started to reject its teachings. Some Chinese accepted Buddhism and tried to defend its policies, while many others scrutinized Buddhism’s absence from past texts and used it as a scapegoat for political and social problems. They saw it as an outsider, an uncivilized belief and felt as if the Buddhist monks were a threat to the Chinese way of life. China’s political developments may have influenced their responses since the initial response of acceptance slowly gave way to criticism and eventual eradication when the imperial structure was eventually restored. As a result, not everyone believed in the idea of Buddhism and either accepted, tolerated, or rejected Buddhism.

Even though there were many who scrutinized Buddhism, there were more people who accepted Buddhism and tried to defend its policies. For example, an Anonymous Chinese scholar, “The Disposition of Error,” counters the scrutiny of anti-Buddhists with logic. Like one may ask, “If Buddhism is the greatest and most venerable of ways, why did the great sages of the past and Confucius not practice it?” he replies by stating, “All written works need not necessarily be the words of Confucius. To compare the sages to the Buddha would be like comparing a white deer to a unicorn, or a swallow to a phoenix” (Document 3). Now there are those who accepted Buddhism because of its acceptable path to enlightenment. Buddhism believes that human life is one of suffering, and that meditation, spiritual and physical labor. They believe in the “Four Noble Truths” which “The First Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of Sorrow…. The Second Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of the Arising of Sorrow… The Third Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of the Stopping of Sorrow…. The Fourth Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of the Way that Leads to the Stopping of Sorrow” (Document 1). Zhi Dun, Chinese scholar, author, and confidant of Chinese aristocrats and high officials during the period, speaks of the many joys of joining the Buddhist religion. He states whoever accepts Buddhism, “when his soul passes away, be miraculously transported thither. He will behold the Buddha and be enlightened in his spirit, and then he will enter Nirvana” (Document 2). However, there were those who either discouraged or accepted Buddhism. It was condoned by those who did not care and would not be affected by its power. Like Zong Mi, a leading Buddhist scholar, either discouraged Buddhism but didn’t accept it. He just liked to inform others about the different religions. According to his essay, “On the Nature of Man,” he compliments all religions. He states, “Confucius, Laozi and the Buddha were perfect sages. They established their teachings according to the demands of the age and the needs of various beings. They differ in their approaches in that they encourage the perfection of good deeds, punish wicked ones, and reward good ones; all three teachings lead to the creation of an orderly society” (Document 5).

As Buddhism is growing rapidly, the amount of people who discourage the religion increases with it. Now people following the Confucian philosophy may see this as a threat to society because it would conflict with the state’s ideology as some people may abandon their role in society for religion. Confucian philosophy focuses on the importance of personal ethics, morality, and the country overall. However, Buddhism focuses on the religion aspect, showing how religion comes first before everything. With Buddhism increasing, they were scared of the idea of losing their power. This idea led to more people scrutinizing Buddhism. Based on Tang Emperor Wu, he criticizes Buddhism stating that it does society more damage than good. He says “Buddhism wears out the people’s strength, pilfers their wealth, causes people to abandon their lords and parents for the company of teachers, and severs man and wife with its monastic decrees. In destroying law and injuring humankind indeed nothing surpasses this doctrine!” (Document 6) Meaning that even if one man or woman fails to work their role, someone has to pay for it. One person who was against Buddhism was Han Yu, leading Confucian scholar and official at the Tang imperial court. He ridicules Buddhism as “ no more than a cult of the barbarian peoples.” He argues that, “Buddha was a man of the barbarians who did not speak Chinese and who wore clothes of a different fashion. The Buddha’s sayings contain nothing about our ancient kings and the Buddha’s manner of dress did not conform to our laws” (Document 4). Han Yu’s position in the imperial court surely makes his ideas a standard in the state, however the lower class might not share the same opinions.

In conclusion, the spread of Buddhism brought out many different responses. Yes, there were people who were against it, people who accepted Buddhism, however, there were some in the civilization that just did not support, nor reject Buddhism but simply tolerated it. Conflicts such as this cause China’s ideals to become the main reasons for their initial responses of acceptance to buddhism, slowly giving way to criticism and eventual eradication when the imperial structure was eventually restored.

Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:42 am
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi there! Lim here with a review.

First Impressions

This seems to be an interesting overview of different people’s opinions of Buddhism. It seems to be focused on the Tang Dynasty, though I wonder if some of the documents might be from different dynasties, since not all of them have a date/time mentioned. I found it a bit difficult to read because of the organisation, which I will get into later. It does look like you have an interesting selection of evidence to support your points though.

Content and Balance

Something I like about your article is that you describe different sides to the issue. You have about the same amount written on those who had a negative view of Buddhism as those who had a positive view, which makes for a balanced article.

Confucian philosophy focuses on the importance of personal ethics, morality, and the country overall. However, Buddhism focuses on the religion aspect, showing how religion comes first before everything.

^ I thought this was a good point to make. It helped me understand why people who follow Confucianism might be against Buddhism (and perhaps vice versa).

Organisation

Something I think could be improved is the introduction. The introduction goes straight into talking about the facts. There seems to be missing a section to talk about why the reader should read on, such as why this history is important or how it connects to other aspects of life, for instance. There is also a lot of information in the introduction, which makes it a bit overwhelming to start off the article with.

I think it would also be good to make it clearer how your evidence and quotes support the points that you make. For example:
1. Now there are those who accepted Buddhism because of its acceptable path to enlightenment.
1. aBuddhism believes that human life is one of suffering, and that meditation, spiritual and physical labor. They believe in the “Four Noble Truths” which “The First Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of Sorrow…. The Second Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of the Arising of Sorrow… The Third Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of the Stopping of Sorrow…. The Fourth Noble Truth is the Noble Truth of the Way that Leads to the Stopping of Sorrow” (Document 1).

In this part, it doesn’t say how 1.a. shows that 1 is true. The description of the Four Noble Truths doesn’t really support the point that people found Buddhism to have an “acceptable path to enlightenment”. The facts are just there without context.

Meanwhile:
Zhi Dun, Chinese scholar, author, and confidant of Chinese aristocrats and high officials during the period, speaks of the many joys of joining the Buddhist religion. He states whoever accepts Buddhism, “when his soul passes away, be miraculously transported thither. He will behold the Buddha and be enlightened in his spirit, and then he will enter Nirvana” (Document 2).

The quote you gave next has more of an explanation. The bolded parts are some reasons that connect the quote and show why it supports the point that people found Buddhism acceptable. I think it would also be good to explain what Nirvana is here, even with just a short sentence, for readers who are unfamiliar with Buddhism.

I think you have some good content and points to make in this article and appreciate the balance in showing different views. If you are planning on editing this, working on how you explain the relevance of your quotes/ evidence would be a good step, as well as adding more context to the introduction as opposed to information.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask for more feedback!
-Lim

Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:16 am

I'm going to share a few pieces of feedback about this essay, and I hope they will be helpful to you.

First, what is the main idea of the essay? If you had to tell your teacher in one sentence, "My essay is about ...", what would that be? Deeper than just "My essay is about Buddhism", what makes your essay different from one that another student would write? It seems like you have information about Buddhism being accepted, rejected, and tolerated -- are you afraid to take a stance on which viewpoint was most prevalent? I am curious as to what the assignment for this essay looked like.

Confucian philosophy focuses on the importance of personal ethics, morality, and the country overall. However, Buddhism focuses on the religion aspect, showing how religion comes first before everything. With Buddhism increasing, they were scared of the idea of losing their power.

This, for me, is the most interesting part of your essay. If you could describe more about why those who believed in Confucianism would reject Buddhism, I would love to hear more. for example, which specific decrees in Buddhism "sever man and wife"??? How does it "wear out the people's strength"?? What does Tang Emperor Wu believe is the people's strength?

If your assignment was to describe a change of opinion over time, I would recommend including specific events that brought about changes -- describing individual statements doesn't give me a sense of when this happened or if one opinion gave way to another for a reason.

I hope these questions make sense to you! I would also recommend making a rough outline of the main points you want to hit to build to your thesis statement before typing, and then you'll be able to find quotes that support those ideas!

Message me or reply here if you have any questions.

Hannah

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung