The Color Red

by miasylvest

It is the essence of anger

boiling your blood

and heating your face.

It is the bright flashing lights

that scream and howl despairingly,

when trying to save your trapped soul.

It is the warm sensation of passionate kisses,

and a heart that pumps love alone.

It is the tension between you

and a ghost from the past,

that leaves a burning impression in your character.

It is the flag raised

when surrendering to the inner demons

that engulf your mind and trap your spirit.

It is the rebel inside of you

that sets your mind ablaze, yearning for release.

It is the color red.

RagingLive wrote a review...

Hi again, miasylvest! RagingLive here yet again to review one of your poems!!

I found this piece strikingly beautiful as I love color poems. I've written several, one of which is posted here on site, however, yours has your own unique style that makes it a different sort of color poem. This can be good, but we definitely don't want to hear that it can be bad either. I don't believe yours is in any way the latter, but I do think that we could clean it up a bit, yes?

Pardon me if I echo the past reviewers and say that the phrase 'It is' was slightly overused in this poem. I don't want you to think that I'm beating you over the head with this fact, I just want you to realize that this can be a potential problem. Replace 'It is' with 'It might' or 'That is' or even 'Red' itself to spice it up some.
I don't want to sound self promoting in any way, but if you are interested in an example, this is the color poem I wrote and it might give you a few ideas. Also, many more color poems can be found by browsing YWS.

boiling your blood

and heating your face.

Sometimes throwing 'and' in there is fine - but it's an 'invisible' word in a sense and might bring your poem down. This is just a suggestion, not a terrible nitpick that simply must be changed, but I want to implore you to do something along the lines of:
"Boiling your blood / bringing heat to your face"

It is the bright flashing lights

that scream and howl despairingly,

You started out with more of a short sentence pattern but then they gradually began to lengthen.This was a bit confusing as I felt as though the reader lost the rhythm. Maybe if you lengthened the beginning sentence or condensed the ones coming after. I kind of the that the latter would work a bit better.
“It is bright flashing lights / that scream, howling despairingly, / while trying your trapped soul.”
Or you could say ‘saving’ instead of ‘trying.’ I kind of like the latter, though, because it was like the color red had trapped and was torturing your soul. Maybe or maybe not?

and a heart that pumps love alone.

The tope line was just a bit too long, one out of three that make your poem harder to read. Maybe if:
“The warm sensation of passionate kisses, / a hear that pumps love alone.”
Easier, yes?

that leaves a burning impression on your character.

Second of the three mentioned above. I thought Falconer’s advice on this was wonderful, I just wanted to echo her.

It is the flag raised,

When surrendering to the inner demons.

Interesting line, I found it very visual.  Now, we have a stark contrast here between syllable usage that kind of mixes us up. Maybe if we inserted:
“It is the white flag raised,”
Doesn’t that provide an even better visual picture? Also, consider striking ‘the’ in the second phrase above, it might help to even it out even further.

Using the word ‘trap’ here is a bit repetitive involving ‘spirit’ which is relative to the phrases I mentioned somewhere above. But it can be removed, I think, and mean the same thing.
“that engulf your mind and spirit.”
It also helps to cut down on the syllable count.

This was the third place out of three that I mentioned are harder to read. Since you have a comma in the middle I would suggest that you turn it into two sentences, splitting at the comma. Just to make sure it wouldn’t interrupt the flow, I did look at the poem and I personally didn’t see anything wrong with it. Hopefully, you’ll see the same.

Now, I know from personal experience how it can sound one way in your head than when someone reads it, but since we aren’t listening to you read this to us, we have to interpret it ourselves. I don’t want you to think that I’m trying to change the meaning of your poem, on the contrary, I want to understand it better. Incidentally, however, you are going to have to make the final decision for what best fits your means.
I know that this review has become rather long, and I hope that you won’t hold it against me. If you have any questions or need to set me straight on something, feel free to message me in the comments below!
I absolutely loved reading this and I believe that in the future I might end up becoming your biggest fan! :D

Keep writing and keep on smiling!!
~RagingLive

Harker wrote a review...

Hey there, Mia! IronSpark here for another review.

Now, what I want to do here is really examine each couple of lines individually. I think this is one of your best works, and I want to help you improve it as much as possible.

Content:

It is the essence of anger

boiling your blood

and heating your face.

Okay. Well, I hate to be this harsh immediately, but I don't like this start. There are too many overused ideas in this line for it to feel really strong or powerful. For instance, I'd stay away from using "essence". It creates distance between the ideas and the language, and is awkward in this concept. To "boil the blood" is interesting here, but I feel like you could have expanded on it instead of saying "and heating your face". I felt like there was really a great opportunity here for you to create a memorable metaphor, and you should take advantage of it.

It is the bright flashing lights

that scream and howl despairingly,

when trying to save your trapped soul.

This adverb--"despairingly"--didn't really hold much meaning for me. It felt... false, for lack of a better word. I usually discourage writers from using adverbs like this because they're often overused to the point of becoming caricatures of their original meaning. But I do like the usage of second person here ("trying to save your trapped soul"). I feel like it really completes the reader -> narrator relationship.

and a heart that pumps love alone.

It is the tension between you

and a ghost from the past,

I feel like one of the weaknesses of this poem is that it uses so many abstract concepts, like "love" and "despair". That really discourages a meaningful connection between the reader and the poem because the ideas are so general and feel almost awkward in the intense specificity of the metaphors you create. But other than that, I love this bit! Your voice as a writer really shines through.

It is the flag raised

when surrendering to the inner demons

Think about your tenses. For example, "when surrounding" is awkward and unnecessary here, and it takes away from your carefully crafted writing. You know, I would advise reading your poem out loud to an audience a couple times to eliminate some of these wordings! It can be both fun and helpful!

It is the color red.

This is awesome, Mia! I love your writing and your metaphors. Keep posting, and don't forget to be awesome.

IronSpark

Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:55 am
racket wrote a review...

Hello, Mia, racket here to review your poem!
Okay, so I really like this. You really captured the feeling of anger, annoyance, just down-right pessimism that is often described as the color red. I really enjoyed this! Well done.
I have only a few suggestions for you, as your capitalization fits the mood well, and so does the punctuation.
My first suggestion would be to maybe put in stanzas? You have a nice three-line pattern going that would fit well in stanzas, and stanzas help the mood along and also help the readers not get lost in the many lines (not that your poem was long, just sometimes poems lacking stanzas can be difficult to read).
The second suggestion would be to add some variety in the introduction to each different aspect of the color red. You use "It is the . . ." every time, which is nice and consistent and does emphasize each point to an extent, but maybe play with your intros to the different aspects? Spice it up? Make the intros reflect the point about to be said? Or maybe just rephrase, not have an intro at all.

It is the essence of anger
boiling your blood
and heating your face,
the bright flashing of lights
screaming, howling despairingly,
trying to save your trapped soul.

See how the poem didn't really change much in meaning, but is slightly less blocky and more fluid to read? A bit more dramatic? Try changing things up a bit, mixing the three-line sections, changing punctuation, rephrasing lines ever so slightly.
My last suggestion would have been to try combining lines with some commas and semicolons, rephrasing, making the stanzas longer, etc., but it appears I have already pointed that out, so, yeah, the rest of the poem is great!
Good job! This is an awesome work. Really, really good job here. The descriptions are wonderful, it just needs a little tweaking in the delivery. So, great job! I enjoyed reading and reviewing this. Keep writing!
~racket

Que wrote a review...

Hey Mia!
This title caught my attention: I love colors, and poetry on them is great! :D I'm glad you chose to write this poem.

Anyway, I'll just comment on a few things and suggest some stuff as well.

Hmm, this line seems a bit lengthy and oddly phrased... I would go for something more like, "that left a burning mark inside of me."

It is the flag raised

Maybe this could be something like, "It is the flag you raised" because you've been more personal throughout the poem, speaking out to the reader.

I know the repetition of "it is" is pretty nice, but I think for a change (and for emphasis) you could add another stanza and change things up a bit. Make it a line that sums up all of what you've said previously before ending. Something like this:
"Is it [change it and is] __________(sum up/make it dramatic and the best line)____
__________ or
Is it the color red?"
Of course, your whole poem structure is based on starting each stanza with "it is", so I totally understand if you don't want to change it at all. It's your poem, and everything I say is just a suggestion anyway. :)

Also, I love all of your fire words in here! Whether you noticed or not, you have words like "burning", "ablaze", and "boiling" that remind us of fire, heat, and lots of red of course.

Nice work! Sorry for the nitpicks. I hope to read some more of your works soon! :D

-Falco

Cairo wrote a review...

I think this poem is good if you take it as just a study in the color red and its different uses, but I feel like you could definitely expand on some of the ideas you have here. You make good use of vocabulary and descriptors, which is good. But what if you took some of these ideas further?

It was a bit too repetitive for my tastes (I LOVE repetition generally, but that was far too many it is's!).

I can see a sort of story behind this poem and I'm interested in knowing more about it. Which is why I would suggest expanding. It is a great starting point for a further developed story. I didn't find any technical problems and the organization is good, the imagery is great as well, good job! I'd love to read more from you.

-Cairo

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost