z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Forbidden Love

by miasylvest


Between you and I

Lies a sea of love

With waves of desperation.

Between you and I

Lies a million reasons to try

With uncanny thoughts

As to why we should.

Between you and I

Lies a forbidden love

With short visitations

And many I miss you’s.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:11 am
Harker wrote a review...



Hey there, Mia! IronSpark here to review your poem. This is gonna be a short one, I gotta warn you. But I'll do my best! Quickly, grammar. I'm going to go off traditional grammar rules because I feel like your poem would benefit most from those. Here we go, a few suggestions on punctuation and phrasing all at once.

"Between you and me
lies a sea of love,
and waves of desperation.

Between you and me
lies a million reasons to try -
with thoughts
as to why we should.

Between you and I
lies a forbidden love
with short visitations
and many I miss you’s."

There ya go! Now, onto content.

I'm not so fond of the concept of this poem. Forbidden love is something that, yes, many people can and have related too, and that works in your favor, but it can sometimes become a cliche to the point where it's no longer an interesting topic. For instance, "a sea of love" is a tired concept, and I was underwhelmed by the way you used it. Another problem-- sometimes, the language you use falls flat either because of missing punctuation or a grammar mistake or because it's simply boring. For example, "lies a sea of love". So much more could be communicated by simply replacing "lies" with a stronger word, like "rages". That really puts a picture in the reader's mind, and creates a strong and slightly more original metaphor. I would say keep trying with this one! The concept may be a bit overused, but I think with the right tools, this poem could really touch a lot of people. "A million I miss you's" was a pretty novel and exciting concept, I think, and I quite enjoyed this overall. It has a lot of potential.

As we say in my hometown, don't forget to be awesome.
IronSpark




User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 221
Reviews: 127

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:55 am
Konijn wrote a review...



Hello! Before I get started, welcome to YWS! I really like your poem. I can definitely feel the narrators pain through this and think you did an excellent job getting your point across.

As for critiquing, I do not have a whole lot of advice to give as this is clearly a free verse poem most of the things are purely preference. So, I would like to instead some of the things that I personally would change. First off, I really liked the flow but I don't think that I would capitalize every line, but only in the necessary places such as for when beginning a sentence. I liked the repetition used because it definitely helped get the concept across effectively. I don't see anything that I'd really like to change other than the capitalization so please forgive me!

Overall, this was a great poem and I look forward to reading more of your works :)




User avatar
285 Reviews


Points: 237
Reviews: 285

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:36 am
GreenTulip wrote a review...



Hi, Tulip here to give you a review on your poem.

Now this is a pretty good poem. It is easy to read (though in some parts a bit of editing may come in) and the flow was okay.

I rated the flow of the poem as okay because well, it could be better. It could be having punctuation or even actually separating the ideas into separate stanzas.

Like the person before said, it is a free-verse poem. It doesn't require the same rules of poetry as set ones do. Free-verse is typically what I write in, and you can feel free to pop over to my page at any time to view those, so I know that punctuation can be helpful or it can just ruin the mood you are trying to put into the piece.

I love the emotion that came through this piece, even though the word choice is basic. The impact could have been bigger but I believe that the word choice you used is perfect for this poem.

Keep on writing,
~Tulip~




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 4915
Reviews: 172

Donate
Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:57 pm
RagingLive wrote a review...



Well hello, hello, and welcome, welcome, to YWS!! RagingLive here to review your poem!

First of all, I want to commemorate you on the feeling of this piece. I certainly felt the narrator's (or dare I say maybe even the author's?) heartache and longing. You did very well, bravo bravo!! :)

Now, this was more a free verse poem, which means that you don't need correct punctuation or capitalization. You also do not have to worry about rhyming. I want to address the before mentioned first, however.

I noticed that you capitalized the beginning of each line, and while this is a matter of personal opinion over something very trivial, I would suggest that you either remove all of the punctuation or use the capitalized areas strictly when the punctuation calls for it.

Now, as I said before, because this is free verse, it isn't mandatory that it rhyme. One thing that would be nice, I think, would be if you had rhythm. To check this I read it aloud to myself several times and then copied and pasted, splitting it up so that I could check the syllable count of each line.
This is what I found while doing the latter:

Spoiler! :
Between you and I…………......5
Lies a sea of love ………….......5
With waves of desperation..…7
------
Between you and I…………......5
Lies a million reasons to try...8
With uncanny thoughts………..5
As to why we should…………....5
------
Between you and I……………5
Lies a forbidden love…………6
With short visitations……….6
And many I miss you’s…….6

I normally try to stay within a one to two count variable when dealing with syllables so I think that you did wonderful when handling rhythm. One thing, though, was that it felt a bit choppy and not quite filled in. Let me see if I can show you what I mean.

Between you and I

Lies a sea of love

With waves of desperation.

Remember how I showed you the syllable marked version in the spoiler? Well, I split the phrases up in sequential paragraphs based on your repeated phrase 'Between you and I' since that was the key phrase that kind of sets the flow.
You will notice, however, that we have an odd set of lines - eleven instead of twelve. The excerpt from your poem above is the place where I suggest you add a fourth line, help it to mirror the rhythm a bit better.

Overall, I simply loved your poem and I think that you will fit in great here at YWS!! :D If you have any questions or anything else at all, please feel free to PM me or message me in the comments below!

Keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive




miasylvest says...


Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome! I appreciate your feed back it truly means a lot. I'm a sophomore in high school and I hope to be an author one day, so hearing others get the message or emotions I am trying to convey in a piece is wonderful. Thanks again(:



RagingLive says...


You're welcome!! I think most everyone here on the sight would love to see their works in print, including me! I'm glad that you found YWS!!

P.S.
I'm a sophomore too!! :D



Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:44 pm
molly2568 says...



Good work. The words flow together well.





"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu