z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

RELIGION.

by mercurialbuddha


It’s a topic close to my heart,

a constant in my weird mind,

since I remember I could think,


A constant wherever you go

from Shangri-la to Timbuktu.

A magical glue,

capable of binding the masses.


Here comes the question to ponder upon,

how can something that can bring people together,

motivate them to slit the throats of fellow earthly travellers?


This phenomena surpises me,

you say your religion is perfect and the greatest,

and proclaim me a non-believer.


I ask you, dear sirs and madams,

how can violence ever be great?

how can division ever be great?

I have carried this burden way too long

and its time to spit it out


I may hurt a few people,

but truth only hurts the people,

with blinds over their eyes,

refusing to perceive the truth staring at their face.


Religion is a system,

a man-made device,

and anything made with thine hands

has thine flaws.


Every religion points us in the direction of the one,

Allah, Jesus, Krishna — the names are not the point

they could have been Mohammed, Sally, Rajesh for humanity’s sake!


The one thing I am sure of is a superior power,

To whom I look up to fill my soul with strength and peace,

whom I look up to in my darkest hours.

Stop burning and massacring each other,

under the commands of few mighty and wealthy,


who brainwash you and manipulate the flaws of the system.

Your religion is not superior nor is your God,

The God is one and you all are the members of different groups,

taking the journey to a common destination.


Don’t believe the sham of the religious cons

and let your soul lead the way to your destination.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: I love to write my poems in free verse à la Walt Whitman. I want to free myself from the traditional confines of poetry writing and usher in this modern technique. Many of you might like the old ways, I do not want to offend you. I just have one request for you to keep an open mind and listen to the true voice of my soul!

P.S: I have made my posts “free-for-all”,if you really like my work and would like to support me by making a small donation equivalent to the cost of a cup of coffee,you can use this link "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">https://ko-fi.com/pratik


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 962
Reviews: 56

Donate
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm
JoyDark wrote a review...



Wow. This poem tackles some deep things. Religion is definitely something that, throughout history, has bound people together and also ripped them apart. Like in the Crusades. I think you captured that idea well. I think you also gave out a good expression of your opinion, that the idea of separate religions is just a way to divide people. I will say, though, that many people today are accepting of other religions, even if they don't work with their own. But, of course, that's just my opinion. This is yours.

I think your poem was really well written; your language is beautiful and the flow of this is really something. The way you pose your words helps the message sink in even deeper. It's almost like a speech in the way that each word is proclaimed. I can almost hear the music swelling behind the words, echoing triumphant and true.

I do have a few suggestions, just some minor things:

It’s a topic close to my heart,

a constant in my weird mind,

since I remember I could think,

Personally (and this is very stylistic, so I get if you don't agree with this at all) I might change the word "weird" to something a little more eloquent that still captures the word's meaning. The rest of your language is already very eloquent and smooth, and "weird" almost sticks out a little in the wrong way. Also, it might be a good idea to change the comma at the end of the last line to maybe a semicolon or an ellipses. That way that stanza is sealed off more definitively. But again, these are very, very stylistic!

This phenomena surpises me,

you say your religion is perfect and the greatest,

and proclaim me a non-believer.

You spelled surprises wrong. And you might want to italicize that first line, since every other line in the poem is italicized. Unless... is this line meant to stick out in some way?

I have carried this burden way too long

and its time to spit it out

You need to put some sort of punctuation at the end of this stanza. Otherwise it's inconsistent and looks kind of strange, interrupting the flow ever so slightly. Just keep consistent punctuation and capitalization in mind if your decide to edit this poem. In some instances, if could be adjusted a bit. Also, the word is "it's," not "its." "Its" is possessive, while the contraction "it's" stands for "it is." It's a tricky rule. (English sucks.)

Every religion points us in the direction of the one,

Allah, Jesus, Krishna — the names are not the point

they could have been Mohammed, Sally, Rajesh for humanity’s sake!

At the end of this first line, I might put a semicolon, just because in this instance I think a comma is too weak a punctuation point, if that makes sense. And I think I get the point that this stanza is making (that names for deities don't matter, they just divide us--I think?), but I wonder if there's a way you could make this statement without the exclamation point. I don't know, to be honest.

Stop burning and massacring each other,

under the commands of few mighty and wealthy,



who brainwash you and manipulate the flaws of the system.

I might put these three lines together. You put them in separate stanzas, and I can't understand why. It just seems like an incomplete thought, taken up again too late. I might put them in the same stanza. Whichever stanza that is is up to you.

Don’t believe the sham of the religious cons

and let your soul lead the way to your destination.

This is a great conclusion, summarizing your points you made in your poem eloquently and neatly, and also adding a hopeful message at the end.

Overall: I liked this poem a lot! I don't think everyone will agree with it, but I do think they will see that it is well written and flows like a river, and that it states your views clearly. I'm not sure how much I personally agree with this, but I do understand where you're coming from. Religion, as humans have crafted it, has the power to hurt and heal, to save and to kill. We've seen this through history. And you've shown it, abstractly, through your poem.




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3050
Reviews: 174

Donate
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:02 pm
View Likes
JesseWrites wrote a review...



Hello there,

I will be reviewing your lovely poem today. Please give me feedback on anything you think I could improve on or change. I would really appreciate that, but you don't have to. Let's begin the reviewing of this work.

My first impression of this is the topic, which is something many think is personal, so poetry with a deep meaning may affect others in a way you didn't think of. Like a person who doesn't practice a religion would have trouble understanding some parts in this about the practices and traditions you referenced, so it would always be a good idea to watch everything you say because others can take it differently.

Another thing I would like to bring up is the fact it's quite long. That's not a bad thing, yet it could change how the poem hits emotion wise. Some people wouldn't want to read a long work because it could drag on and waste their time. It's not something you could really fix because you need the lines to make the theme as powerful as you'd like, but it's always something to think about. Most of my review covers stuff like that.

Onto the poem parts. There are no stanzas, which makes it harder to read and that causes issues when reviewing. YWS has their problems on how to format in a readable way, but my favorite is to put a period or something. Stanzas are breaks in the lines, which tidy everything up and look neater than a block of words.

The way the poem is bolded looks a little messy. i just think it would maybe be better italicized because that makes the reader want to look at it, not look away because it hurts their eyes, but that's my opinion on that. Stick with whatever style makes you feel like it's a good looking poem.

Here are some minor things that you can leave if you don't like them:

The author's note is blended in with the poem a little, so separating it would look nicer and also be more organized, but that is just another opinion, so you can leave it if you don't think it's a great idea.

WHY? I ask in bold


No need for that capital word. It just looks a little unprofessional and I don't think that's what you want for the poem. It's meant to be a statement of something important, not a 5th grade level little thing, so that affects how others think of it.

Have a good day,
Haley.






Thank you so much for posting this critical review, I am honoured to receive such a warm message. I have implemented all the suiggestions in my post which seemed appropriate, so you can check out my edited post.I will like to share my opinion on your point about me sharing religious references which might be alien to a non-religious person. I believe that , it might instigate them to learn about new stuff which in my opinion is a good thing!



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 55
Reviews: 34

Donate
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:25 pm
View Likes
thepages wrote a review...



Yo, nice poem you've got here, makes one reconsider the sole purpose of religion; is it a way of dividing people or one to bring them together. The creator is one,(besides the scientific theory) why then do we have different versions of Him/Her. Religion happens to be the ultimate test of faith.
I like ths piece, you missed a "d" somewhere in the third line though.
However much we have different religions, i find religious warfare not the best soln. Considering the message of love in all of them.
Great work!






I am humbled by your sweet response! I am happy you could take something meaningful from my work!




The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.