nothing behind those eyes

by mercipourlevenin

my generation, beaten and torn, confined into the straitjacket of conformity, caught in a fine-spun wicker basket insects swarming over, crumbling under the hideous deeds of sordid mankind, swirling in a maelstrom of lifeless delusion,
clutching onto a strand of individuality, tenuous, feeble, and the thread is unraveling so fast so fast so fast oh catch them before they fall,
and misunderstood & underappreciated, my psalms of truth gather dust as time withers them away, tragically ignored,
because they’d rather believe those sugar-coated lies those vipers in disguise than my hysterical acrimony, the tortuous cacophony,
because they’d rather ignore the looming face of trickery barely visible through the opaque blockade of toxic grass, of fine powder, of liquid Venom,
yes ma’am yes sir I’ll do as you say & I’ll act as you say & I’ll think as you say mommy daddy they told me so oh they told me so oh I must obey,
those robotic jerking sickening movements and one by one they stand, posers! jokers! liars! deceivers! blank faces & identities they’re all the same searching for nothing, those tragic nomads all identical all the same,
sinking under Delirium they are dragged into Oblivion into the sins of humanity and there’s no turning back,
the whole world’s just a big fucking propaganda and tell me kind sir tell me what to say what to believe all around me signs! advertisements! sermons! it’s commercial warfare a wild arms race the arsenal is jam-packed tight it’s all about who fucks people up the most I need my oxygen,
bolted down by parental and institutional anesthetics they numbly watch the blurry world whizzing by like a preordained kaleidoscope,
blind to the walls closing tight squeezed tight, deaf to the war raging swarming angry bees Nazi fleets, mute and unresponsive to the fatal regulations binding the metal clangs snaps shut jail life pea pod shell doom,
and meanwhile, I scream underwater flail piteously my eyes glazed over with the pain and cruelty of it all but everything still falls I need my oxygen my oxygen need oxygen!
my tales almost permeate the suffocating atmosphere but stop midair, halted by all the formulaic bullshit incantations, hypnosis, irrevocable & irremovable,
too fucking scared too fucking brainwashed too fucked up the ass to care so now all your Idiosyncrasies fade to black,
I look into those eyes those heinous blazing eyes those stagnant voids eroded into dullness by time and there’s no one behind them,
I see nothing oh god oh god I see nothing behind those eyes,
I can see you breathing but are you even there,
are you even there?
and now their lives dissipate leave muddy tracks that ebb away but the shell is there empty egg rolls crazy wrecked no self control, Allah oh please save them they need their oxygen.

-Author's note-
I understand that this isn't exactly in the conventional form of poetry, so I thought I'd offer some explanation.

As I said before, this poem was an English assignment to emulate the style of the Beat Generation's Allen Ginsberg. It's basically in the point of view of an insane person under the influence of drugs, and this poem is the delerious, outraged ramblings of said insane person. In other words, this poem is supposed to come off as bizarre and GLORIOUSLY confusing.

So after you read this poem, you are thinking:
1) "What the hell was that?"
2) "There's a lot of anger pent up in this sad, twisted person."

then leave me a positive comment and a gold star, because that is precisely what I was going for. If not, then leave me some advice on how to capture the thoughts of a crazy, drugged-out person at least a little better.

Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the comments!

-mercipourlevenin

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:05 am
timjim77 wrote a review...

Hmmm, well, yes, I suppose. But no one likes homework attached to a poem, now do they?

I understand this was an assignment. I'd say you did a bang-up job for the assignment. There were some really great moments (e.g., "it’s commercial warfare a wild arms race the arsenal is jam-packed tight it’s all about who fucks people up the most I need my oxygen"). The structure of it obviously relates to its content, so I have no concern there. Even the thesaurus-like nature of the poem doesn't bother me, since its tone is so quick that it all whizzes past.

What gets me is this poem doesn't say anything. Of course, the speaker is crazy, so this is the intended effect, at least partially. But, the reader shouldn't have to care what you intend. She shouldn't have to say, "The author really achieved her objectives there." Nameans?

So the little tag on to your poem, beyond being patronizing and annoying, destroys what there could be between you and the reader. Luckily for you, you left it at the end. But that will only piss off someone more, after they took the time to read it. There is no Council for the Ethics of Poetry, so you are certainly free to come to your own conclusions. And I tell you this as someone I respect as a poet: serve your reader. When a poet begins to disdain the reader , the poet loses her perspective. What else is poetry than perspective? You can disagree with a reader's opinion, you can even disregard their comments. You can even be pissed at them! But look at it this way: when they are reading your poem, you are responsible for their emotions. So, if you wanted people to feel upset and angry, as perhaps Ginsberg did, let them! Let them not like your poem!

The end.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 am

Jennafina wrote:This sounds like the ramblings of a crazy person, like it should be spoken instead of in text. I don't know what you're going for or if you achieved it, but this didn't do anything for me. I found this hard to read, and jerky.
...You use a lot of cool and interesting words, but it just seems like panicky nonsense all put together.

YES
YESYESYES
That is EXACTLY what i was going for.
Oh, that makes me so happy.

Seriously, check out Allen Ginsberg's "Howl." After that, things will make a HECK of a lot more sense.

Jennafina wrote a review...

I'm sure I don't understand this poem. I don't even claim to. However, there are a lot of poems I don't fully understand that I still can appreciate and enjoy.

This sounds like the ramblings of a crazy person, like it should be spoken instead of in text. I don't know what you're going for or if you achieved it, but this didn't do anything for me. I found this hard to read, and jerky.

I do think a little more capitalization and punctuation would help, but it doesn't sound like you're interested. It's true that a lot of great poets didn't use it, but a lot of other great poets did, and in this poem's case it could make it more fluent, and easier to finish.

I like the last three lines; the pause before going back into the intensity is nice. You use a lot of cool and interesting words, but it just seems like panicky nonsense all put together. Sorry.

Thanks for posting your work, good luck with your writing!

Crawfy says...

And to the first reviewer: step outside the box. First of all, capitalization can be arbitrary. Ever heard of not only Allen Ginsberg, but Emily Dickenson? e. e. cummings? All of whom are deemed oneof the greatest poets of their time? And poetry doesn't have to be in verses either.

You need the caps, it's simply just grammar! Of course it doesn't need to be in verses, but it would be far better for the reader if they could be involved with the poetry, lining just helps the reader to... read it. Also, it separates different ideas, so that the story told is not just prose and the thoughts are individualised. Orally, it has no benefits, just aesthetics!

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:55 am

I don't think you guys fully understand this poem.

Have you ever heard of the Beat Generation's key masterpiece "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg? This poem was an English assignment meant to emulate his style.

Just thought I'd clarify. I'm sorry I didn't express this clearly before hand. If you read that poem and come back to this, it will make a lot more sense.

To the most recent reviewer; I didn't mean it to sound like a thesaurus, Those are honestly the first words that came to mind.

Other than that, Thanks for the comments.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:56 am
Cade wrote a review...

It's like drowning in a thesaurus. I prefer to have poetry slosh comfortably around my ankles, not bash me over the head with a vocabulary lesson. Even as a performance poem...I would feel rather overwhelmed listening to it. Focus on your images and your rhythm--those have a good deal of potential.

-Colleen

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 am
Leja wrote a review...

Quick mod note: I upped the rating from PG-13 to R for heavy instances of swearing.

Welcome to YWS, mercipourlevenin!This is very much poetry (just to confirm since you already knew that ^_^)!

I like how, in this part especially, it is not just a list, but each phrase advances the whole idea. That really made the poem, in my eyes.

But here, it starts to get a little run-on-y, so go through again and double check that doesn't happen to too extreme a degree, that everything is structured how you intended it.

Above, the bold parts are especially nice wordings, and the parts in red are way too whine-y for the rest of the poem; they're a real downer in that sense.

Same here with the [word][exclamation point!]. It doesn't do much to enhance your point.

This last line didn't make any sense. I got lost somewhere around the egg rolls. I like the oxygen bit; that was a nice return to needing oxygen a few lines/stanzas up, and a nice way to tie the whole poem together, but what comes before it doesn't appear to have enough to do with much, especially given that it's the last line.

I liked the pacing in this especially, and I would expand on that, but it would be babble. So let's just say that such babble would be filled with lots of praise and leave it at that ^_^

Love2act4ever wrote a review...

I agree with the other two. This just does not strike me as peotry.It's not even free verse...it is more like a prose if you think about it. It could be title as article....well maybe. I would have at least put it under "other" but not in dramtic poetry.

On the other hand...I did like the prose or what ever you want to call it.

Krupp wrote a review...

Hate to say it, mate, but this doesn't really strike me as poetry...

More of spoken word or prose, really. But that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just a bit absurd. A tad bit angry, too...that was actually one of the few things I really admired about this was how evident the raw anger is in the piece...

But seriously, if you want this to be a poem, straight up things here. Break down the lines into shorter ones. As it is, the lines are way too long as it is. Also, this isn't a big deal, but I think there are some people on here who would complain because you didn't post an R rating for this piece because of the vulgarities. Just warning you, you might wanna fix that if you can...

Crawfy wrote a review...

Gah!--was my first thought.

I was thinking--is this dramatic poetry, nay, is this poetry. I am guessing from first sight that this should be in verses? Anyway, let's assume it is:

my generation,
beaten and torn,
confined into the straitjacket of conformity,
caught in a fine-spun wicker basket insects swarming over,
crumbling under the hideous deeds of sordid mankind,
swirling in a maelstrom of lifeless delusion,

I doubt that's right, but it's the best I have--perhaps you could post another? So caplocks are non-existent and punctuation is all over the place--in the end, I find it very hard to read because of its fluidity--or lack of. The imagery here is wonderful and the metaphors, great. But I ask you, does it make sense? I understand where this comes from, but more so, where is the rhythm?

You go from beaten and torn (4 syllables)to confined to the straitjacket of conformity, (13 syllables). Yes, I know that may not be the original line length but certainly that is the length between punctuation, and it hurts the reader. The pace therefore is all over the place, so try rephrasing (or just punctuating) to work this out--which I can't help with since I don't know how it should go!

If each paragraph is in fact a verse, then I think this may be a very long poem. Essentially, the length should be irrelevant but this is a poem, some of the greatest works are merely a few lines. Find a summary of this, and work from it. Discard all unneeded!

Okay I’m supposed to be asleep what am I doing measuring sinks
— EllieMae