z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Steps into the Mirror (Breaking in the Glass) - 2/3

by mephistophelesangel


3. Oh so don’t pay no mind to my watering eyes, must be something in the air I’m breathing

Once again, Gale tells Teal nothing.

They manage to last through the long winter while everyday Gale begs for the snow to stay, and at some point the flowers begin to freeze and wilt black under his fingertips. And in the small cave that Gale had led them into, Teal shivers and coughs through the night, and Gale has to urge a boar forth and take the light from her eyes. As he watches Teal’s body heat, cool, then settle into a comfortable temperature under the boar skin, the blood outside on the melting snow haunts him through his ever-sleepless days.

Spring arrives with a rush of chirping birds, muddy ground and a hint of warmth. With Teal wandering in the trees, constantly fascinated by the growing of green and the little winged animals that dart through the maze of branches, Gale finds a new rock near the cave and slumps down on it. As he squints at the white sun, he remembers lying crumpled in the snow, a day of the first winter, and burying his face into the cold powder to murmur a wish for warmth, an apology and a prayer of regrets.

He never knew that a season built from remorse and longing could be warm.

When spring has nearly passed them by, Gale finds himself tearing across the forest, as Teal hasn’t come back to the cave in the morning. Not too long into his search, he stumbles across Teal laughing like something even warmer than the sun from atop a tree branch.

Gale’s legs tangle and he slams into the ground haphazardly. Above him, Teal’s laughter comes to an abrupt pause and he yells down at Gale if he’s hurt.

Shaking, Gale rubs his face into the mud and trembles with painfully muffled sobs. His nose and eyes are alight with the same flames that took Teal’s life the first time.

And when Teal descends onto the ground to place a hand on Gale’s shoulder, Gale laughs only for the man made from his own reflection. The teardrops sink into the ground silently to bloom and shape the world into summer. 

____________________________

4. No matter how my heart tries, when I’m free from the grip of this life, you won’t be there by my side

They come to the mountain when summer is nearing to an end.

It happens somewhat too fast for Gale to comprehend. He is showing Teal a family of foxes that is too wary to come close to where they are standing. The redness of their fur delights Teal, and when they finally scurry away he glances around him and frowns at the bright green leaves. The sunlight that is dyeing the land and trees gold makes him blink rapidly.

“I think that everything will look better with the leaves red,” he announces, glancing sideways at Gale.

Gale beams gently and follows Teal’s gaze, and everywhere his eyes fall upon the trees explode into bright shades of red and orange. Some of the leaves sway easily in the wind and begin to fall onto the forest floor, and in only a split second the whole mountain has lighted itself on eternal fire. Above them, the sky melts into a darker shade of blue and clears.

Teal’s eyes widen and he laughs loudly, clasping his hands together.

“This is the season of autumn,” Gale’s voice is soft as he tells Teal. “Will you remember that I created this time only for you?”

When Teal nods at him he seems to glow, and for a moment Gale allows himself to imagine that the light that sinks into him will last longer than it had before.

Sinking low onto the ground, Teal gathers up an armful of fiery leaves and flings them at Gale, who lets out a bark of choked laughter. Shaking his head with a grin, Gale kneels down himself and sweeps the forest floor for the most crimson leaves.

When he jumps back onto his feet, Teal is staring at him with a wooden stick through his throat.

Gale stares, then he lets go of the leaves to catch Teal as he pitches forward bonelessly. Over Teal’s shoulder, he can see two men covered in the rough skin of animals. One of them holds a long, curved branch with a string connecting each end. They exchange a series of syllables, then one jabs a finger at Teal and shakes his head.

Feeling the hot wetness of blood spill down his shoulder and back, Gale clutches helplessly at Teal as he slowly settles him down onto the ground into a red and orange grave. When the wooden stick refuses to budge from Teal’s neck, Gale turns his head sideways and lays it back down gently.

(He rips the two men to pieces and slams them into the ground so deeply that the glow of Teal’s season will never reach their eyes again.)

After easing the stick as gently as possible from Teal’s neck and watching him shudder awake with violent coughs, Gale refuses to cry when Teal doesn’t know what he means at all by a thing called autumn.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again! Happy review day! (Sorry again about taking so long to get to this :O)

I really like your chapter/scene titles - very creative. Even though I'm not 100% how they relate to the rest of the scene, I think it works :)

Part 3 - I'm not sure if I should refer to it as a chapter because each little piece is so short (which is fine!) but similar ideas will apply. Last time I talked a little about showing vs telling and you're still using mostly telling here. I want to add a little to that and say that telling sometimes is perfectly fine. I think at the beginning of this section when you're describing the changing of the seasons and time is passing, it's fine to tell because you're trying to pass a lot of time.

But then after that, I think the scene falls flat because nothing really happens. There's no action or conflict. They run through the forest and laugh and there are tears that turn the season to summer. (I'd like a little more about those tears - does he literally have the power to turn the seasons like that? I want more description about that.) There is potential for action and conflict and plot advancement here, I think you just need to give us a little more. (Remember that action doesn't have to be things exploding, just that something needs to happen).

Think about what you want the focus of the scene to be - Gale changing the season? That's the goal. What's the conflict or the thing keeping Gale from being able to do that? What are the stakes or what will happen if Gale can't do that? How does each character feel? What do they think? What do they see/feel/hear/smell? What do they actually do? Those types of questions can help you build the scene a little more. (And if you don't want that to be the main focus, apply it to whatever you want the main focus to be). :)

Part 4 - I really liked the descriptions in the beginning about the season and what they're experiencing in this season! Great! Exactly what I was saying before about using the five senses to paint a picture :)

Now try to apply that to other areas. Like the ending here moves really fast. Slow down and paint a picture about these guys they see, exactly what these guys do, what the thoughts/feelings are of the characters, what Teal and Gale do about the guys, and more about this death thing (literal death or metaphorical death?) Slow down and show us exactly what happens.

I'll leave things there for now and move along to the next part. Let me know if you have any questions, want me to elaborate on anything, or if anything I said was confusing! :)




User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 425
Reviews: 158

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:26 pm
View Likes
Payne wrote a review...



So, Gale doesn't have complete control over this world? Or just doesn't realize that he does?

In a way, I feel like you lost your rhythm in the first part of this. The story becomes too rushed and a little disorienting.


When spring has nearly passed them by, Gale stumbles across Teal laughing like something even warmer than the sun from atop a tree branch. With a strangled yelp, Gale’s legs tangle and he slams into the ground haphazardly. Above him, Teal’s laughter comes to an abrupt pause and he yells down at Gale if he’s hurt.


This paragraph and the two after it are when things lost momentum, I think.


At section 4, you came back into the right rhythm, I think. I really do feel sorry for Teal and Gale. Teal just...dies. A lot. And from what I can tell he's a blank slate every time he comes back, his only company this guy who looks like him and who probably seems a little crazy, to him. And of course Gale just has a horrible lot in life. I'm sort of rooting for him to finally get a break.

(He rips the two men to pieces and slams them into the ground so deeply that the glow of Teal’s season will never reach their eyes again.)


I would suggest removing the parentheses from this line. They're not necessary and they sort of jar the reader.

Anyways, on to the last part!




User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:02 pm
View Likes
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here to review!

Awwww, this was so cute and yet so sad. Especially the ending. I feel so sorry for Gale, and also for Teal (I mean, the number of times that guy has died, you have to feel sorry for him right?)

They manage to last through the long winter while everyday Gale begs for the snow to stay


It should be every day, rather than everyday. Also, if Gale has the power to control the seasons, how come everything thaws out? Why is he letting Teal shiver in the cold if he can make it warm for them both?

When spring has nearly passed them by, Gale stumbles across Teal laughing like something even warmer than the sun from atop a tree branch. With a strangled yelp, Gale’s legs tangle and he slams into the ground haphazardly. Above him, Teal’s laughter comes to an abrupt pause and he yells down at Gale if he’s hurt.


Hang on. Isn’t Gale meant to be like some kind of god? Just tripping over for no real reason other than to further the plot doesn’t seem like the sort of thing an ordinary character, much less a god would do. Clumsy god. Perhaps he should be chasing something, if you really want him to trip.

And when Teal descends onto the ground to place a hand on Gale’s shoulder, Gale laughs only for the man made from his own reflection.


So cute. I’m still not sure about their relationship – whether it is fatherly like tigeraye said, or if it’s a brotherly bond… ooh, I don’t know, even a lover’s bond. And I don’t know if you’re intending to leave this ambiguous or leave it to the reader’s interpretation, but I really do like the interactions between them. :)

Gale stares, then he lets go of the leaves to catch Teal as he pitches forward bonelessly. Over Teal’s shoulder, he can see two men covered in the rough skin of animals. One of them holds a long, curved branch with a string connecting each end. They exchange a series of syllables, then one jabs a finger at Teal and shakes his head.


I’m not sure why Gale created other humans if he was trying to keep his creation safe… I mean, things haven’t exactly gone well for Teal have they? Poor Teal. Only one person seems to like you, and that’s a slightly narcissistic god.

After easing the stick as gently as possible from Teal’s neck and watching him shudder awake with violent coughs, Gale refuses to cry when Teal doesn’t know what he means at all by a thing called autumn.


Saddest ending ever! Although I can see there’s another part, so not THE ending. Just an ending. It was still sad, though. It nearly made me cry too!

Overall, I feel like the story’s really starting to come together now, and I’d be interested to see where you take this! Keep writing! :D




User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:16 pm
View Likes
tigeraye wrote a review...



3. Oh so don’t pay no mind to my watering eyes, must be something in the air I’m breathing

Once again, Gale tells Teal nothing.


haha, I like that opening. It's really eye-catching.

And when Teal descends onto the ground to place a hand on Gale’s shoulder, Gale laughs only for the man made from his own reflection and feels the teardrops sink into the ground to bloom and shape the world into summer.


Really long and awkward sentence.

Feeling the hot wetness of blood spill down his shoulder and back, Gale clutches helplessly at Teal as he slowly settles him down onto the ground into a red and orange grave. When the wooden stick refuses to budge from Teal’s neck, Gale turns his head sideways and lays it back down gently.


Sooo they tried to kill Teal again. I hope you elaborate on why they have it out for him so badly, just jealousy or what?

After easing the stick as gently as possible from Teal’s neck and watching him shudder awake with violent coughs, Gale refuses to cry when Teal doesn’t know what he means at all by a thing called autumn.


(He rips the two men to pieces and slams them into the ground so deeply that the glow of Teal’s season will never reach their eyes again.)


Any real reason this part is in parenthesizes?

The father-son relationship between Gale and Teal is really touching.

Well done again, I really like the character of Gale. Not much else I have to say about this, it's really charming and well-written.






Hey! Again, thank you for your review!

About your question as to why the humans are constantly killing Teal - I didn't really mean it to read like they didn't like Teal, it was purely an accident on their part. They saw something and killed it (there should be a part where one man points at Teal and shakes his head as if saying, That's not an animal you idiot).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

Mephis




Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack