z

Young Writers Society



The method of madness

by melkor


Oh-boy....someone hasn't written anything decent in a while...

eh?

Well...

I hope this makes up for it.

The streets were ghostly quiet, surprisingly lonely, and disturbingly distraught. Only litter stirred there, shifting uneasily in the wind, while the sky was as pale and mild as a newborn.

It was cold, too.

The wind was only the tiniest of breaths, as though the voice of its bearer had weakened, but for some reason it had chosen to be icy and piercing today. There was no snow to admire, thought the doctor bitterly, as he fumbled with the frozen key between numb fingers. All around him dark buildings sprouted as dominant as any mountains, sporting leering, shiny faces. Many of them were skyscrapers. He always hated how they stared down at him angrily with a myriad of glittering windows. Each one could hide a face, a witness. Not that he was doing anything wrong of course; he just liked to be secretive. Finally, the key found its place as it turned perfectly in the lock with a subtle creak and Doctor Crombie entered the building at last.

This particular building was much like all the others around it. A gargantuan great block, like a dark tower, was embedded deep in the ground and it was filled with thousands of office-like rooms. Some offices were minuscule, others occupying entire floors. The doctor’s room, was at the very top of the building, and counted as one of the largest there. Luckily for the doctor, there was an elevator.

This was always the way, thought the doctor. He held his briefcase tightly; he was always enthusiastic, but he was weary too. He was always here, before a single soul stirred, ascending in the elevator to meet patients’ needs. His patients were strange, unpredictable folk, and even he had never counted their numbers. It was because of these patients that he had not got much sleep as of late, what with all the forwarding of appointments, which was rather deteriorating on a man of sixty-eight. Soon, he was in his room, placing his briefcase on the table and tearing his gloves off. He adjusted the light. After he set the windows, he gathered a pen, a paintbrush, and a piece of paper. Then he was fixing the chair, a velvet recliner where the last patient had rested, and he was all but ready.

He looked once around the room, for atmosphere was everything in this sort of job, and then, content with it, he sat down on his leather chair and opened his logbook. Doctor Crombie was a rather tall man, and it left an impression on most people. His eyes were deep set and dark, ringed by withered creases, and his skin was like papyrus, emphasizing the dusty plain grey of his hair. Mostly, it was his voice that would be remembered. The doctor had been gifted with a powerful and soothing voice that seemed to shake the very air. It was reassuring, like a gentle giant, but always in control. With a voice like that, coupled with his vast intellect, the doctor could have gone far, but he was content in his work. No one could replace him, and he was quite certain that without him the patients would be rather 'different', which meant the world would be 'different’ for neither better nor worse.

The pages of his logbook crackled like dead leaves as he turned them, and Crombie wondered, certainly not for the first time, if his work had any impact on his well being, his opinion, and his sanity. He flashed a lonesome and quite rare smirk. Yes, that would be ironic; perhaps the cure imbues the curse. Thoughtfully, he arrived at the present day’s page, and took a while gazing at it.

Date: September 15, 2005

Room: Six

Time: 1:30 pm. --Moved forward to 5:20 pm.

Duration: Three hours plus.

Patient: Mr. Jack Leer.

Session no: Twelve

Notes:

-Item confiscated 06/05/05, considered detrimental to patient in several ways.

-Tread carefully, use subtlety, eye contact.

-Amber, book, painting, cat, jellybeans, weapons, Loki?

-Paintbrush?

-Remove dangerous and/or provocative objects.

Yes, Leer. He was one of his more colourful patients and surely the most fascinating. The doctor was always exactly twenty minutes early, for atmosphere of course, and Jack was always exactly seven minutes late, for, perhaps, the same effect. The doctor sat there pondering silently for a while, mostly in the dark as the only lights were the bright ones in the center of the room. They rested right above the recliner, and, for all their clairvoyance, only illuminated the seat just below them. It gave the rest of the room a sickly glow.

Mr. Leer arrived, and he was greeted at exactly five twenty seven. He quite promptly seated in the velvet chair, and lay back, silent at first. In mere minutes, however, the patient would turn from a quiet, introverted man to a vivaciously outgoing specimen. Doctor Crombie paced around him, taking notes with paper and pen, and occasionally taking up his paintbrush.

“Well, Mr. Leer. It's been a while. Have we had any....progress?” asked the Doctor, his voice lurking in the air for some time after he spoke. Jack had in fact closed his eyes, and he hastily opened them and looked almost innocently at the doctor.

“None what-so-ever. In fact, it has worsened.”

“Ahh...”

The doctor held back a sigh. He knew exactly what troubled the man, but he wished to be subtle, and so he began to discuss the more generic problems that Mr. Leer suffered from.

“How is your painting then?” he ventured.

“It's changed. Dramatically, in fact, it seems that when my mood changes, the focus also changes, so it's almost like two paintings, on one canvas...”

Jack had a calm, yet strangely smooth way of talking that was often betrayed by his unemotional, tortoise like behavior. He may have seemed unnerved in voice, but his body language and expressions seemed to tell a different tale.

“Is that so? Fascinating,” the doctor drawled, making a quick note, and once more tried to avoid 'that' topic.

“Is the cat eating again?”

“I assume so. It's possibly the only creature alive that can abide me, other than you doctor, but you're quite non-conforming, more of a wraith than a man.”

On saying this, Jack turned and smiled, which under the effect of the light, had quite a startling effect. Jack was one of the youngest of his patients, still in his early twenties, yet still, perhaps, the most troubled. The main problem was that he didn't immediately strike a person as odd. He was a tall, well built person with a perfectly ordinary dress sense, and polite enough mannerisms. The most disarming and indeed misleading feature of Mr. Leer, however, was that he was also, in fact, quite handsome. He had pale delicate features, angled dark hair, and piercing green eyes that seemed to dominate his entire person. He was consistently witty and clever despite his introverted and antisocial nature, and he had a large sum of money and achievements to his name. All things considered, he was a man who had had a considerable amount of luck in the world, and yet, the doctor had rarely encountered a man so wretched, so insecure. This man struggled more to understand himself than he did others.

“The book, Mr.Leer, what of the book?”

“I finished it; actually...I simply can't find it.”

The difficulty with Jack was that he treasured information almost jealously, and it was a dire struggle to get him to part with it. However, there was a topic the doctor could easily speak of which had nothing to do with his much larger, darker problem.

“Are things well with Amber, then?” asked the Doctor, putting all his cunning and guile into his voice.

“Well...”

Jack seemed to float into a dream at the question, choosing to look at the lights rather than the doctor. The lights themselves were an odd feature, weighing heavily in the center of the room. An opening had been made in the ceiling, a sort of cavernous dome that lay above that vital chair, and in it sputtered pale lights. Most were yellow and white colours that cast their brilliance on that particular patient. And, again, most patients reeled from the light, as though trying and failing to avoid it, and so, the doctor often found he had to turn them off beforehand.

But Jack...he seemed to welcome the light, almost as though he was reaching out to it.

As the doctor watched him now, he was perfectly still, his hands resting on his chest and his hair about his face. The tiniest of smirks was escaping from his lips, but his eyes...they seemed to be moving at a pace too quick for the old doctor to mark, as if Jack had spotted a thousand drifting shadows, and was trying to watch each one. The light seemed to spill into his eyes instead of anywhere else, and as the doctor watched, it looked as if a shadowy wraith had lain before him. It was wreathed in darkness, save for two glowing, green eyes that were fixed to the heavens. They never blinked, constantly moved, and appeared to be unbreakable. Yet, they were somewhat tainted, and held just the tiniest hint of a pale smile. This is different, the doctor told himself, and that was all. It was not wicked, nor angelic, just simply different.

“Jack?” asked the doctor, his own voice seeming to echo endlessly in oblivion.

“She's fine, really. I don't see her often. I've became too...unpredictable, you see. Things have to change. I still love her, though, if that counts for anything...”

The spell seemed to have broken and Jack had returned to the same attitude as before. The Doctor dimmed the lights a little, and noted that the smile had vanished.

“Yes, I see.”

The paintbrush was drawn again. There was silence for a while, both men seemingly deep in thought. The Doctor continued painting, but he didn't speak of it, for he was a firm believer in patience. Jack, however, soon became restless. One minute he was smiling at the lights, and the next he was sitting up to looking out the window to the vast, great city. Morning seemed to be brewing.

Several minutes had passed when suddenly Jack’s expression changed. His body tensed as though he was suddenly aware of something being both threatening and close. The doctor instantly marked this, but he pretended not to notice, even as Jack slowly stood up, a wicked intent and a sort of fear in his eyes. Jack didn’t, however, pay any attention to the doctor; rather, he crept to the corner of the room, where a small, very old clock was ticking in an almost arrhythmic way. He began to study it, as though it might attack him at any moment. Then, he began to murmur something, as though he was chanting, and he spoke softly. The doctor could just barely make out the words and what he could hear left him somewhat disturbed.

“Tick...tock...tick...tock...”

The doctor did his best to ignore his patient, and he succeeded for a full ten seconds. Suddenly, Jack snatched the little clock in both hands and viciously began to bash it off the wall.

“MR LEER!” shouted the doctor, mostly in frustration.

Jack leapt a foot back in shock, and dropped the clock on the ground, suddenly looking quiet and harmless again, if a little afraid.

“I'm...I'm sorry doctor... I-I can’t stand to be imitated...” he whimpered, and his voice was like a tiny breeze passing through the boughs of an old tree. The doctor raised a single eyebrow, and then returned to his work, watching Jack out of the corner of his eye. The patient crept back into his chair as though he was treading on thin ice. The doctor couldn't resist a smile. He was purposefully ignoring Jack now, knowing all too well that his erratic behavior would only increase, and thus the window into his psyche would be just a bit wider.

It seemed that, for at least a little while, that Jack had calmed down. Indeed, the doctor was rewarded with an entire seven minutes of silence, and he fed on the creativity of it. When he heard a tiny little sound that reminded him of the clicking and turning of gears, he frowned. It seemed as if it came from some sort of device. It was not a completely alien sound, simply one he wasn't expecting.

“Jack.....” sighed the Doctor heavily, as he gently sat his page face down on the desk and turned to stare at his patient. Jack, who was not content with simply sitting like a normal person might, had begun to fiddle with the chair’s mechanism. It was a little machine on the underside which allowed the chair to turn around with a flick of the switch. It appeared that Jack had broken that switch, for the chair was now in a constantly slow spin, emitting a soothing, droning sound. Jack was standing on the chair, his head just below those brilliant lights, and he seemed much more imposing from such a height. His arms lay outstretched like some sort of sublimely mad angel, and his eyes sparkled like fractured gems above a crooked and glittering smile. He rotated slowly, not just bathing in the light, but absorbing it, accepting it, mastering it.

“They were wrong.”

It was all he said in a quiet, yet suggestive voice. He tipped his head back, and closed his eyes like some sort of unearthly parasite feeding on light itself.

“Pardon, Mr. Leer?” asked the doctor, half fascinated, half irritated.

“The people...a lot of them were wrong.” Jack laughed a sort of humming, closed mouth laugh that reinforced his wide smile.

“I daresay they were! Wrong about what, Jack?” the doctor’s voice showed genuine confusion, he sincerely wished Jack would open his eyes, yet he was unsure why. Jack opened his mouth fully and, as though relishing it, emitted a faint 'Ha!’. His eyes remained closed, and his pose did not change.

“They say, doctor...that...it's a struggle...an ongoing struggle between two things....the light, and the dark... don't they?”

The Doctor nodded, just as the rotation brought Jack’s face to view, and he repressed a shiver.

“They were wrong. It's not a battle. It’s slaughter. …a little fading hope against an unquenchable thirst…’

Jack’s body began to rake with laughter at the revelation, ‘Yes! Light can never last! It's fleeting, doctor! It’s just a little spark, powered by an energy that can never last for an eternity. Electricity, candles, explosions, the sun! They all die eventually, but darkness never dies. It just keeps going, waiting, watching, and as soon as the light weakens, it pounces! Darkness is a constant, doctor. Light is a variable. Doctor, they were wrong.”

The Doctor paused for exactly twelve seconds considering this, and then, without warning, the lights flickered off. The rotating stopped, and Jack let himself fall back, like a fell demon in descent. He landed on the chair, arms still reaching and clawing at the shadows, and he laid his head back over the edge of the chair so that he was staring at the doctor from upside down.

“The question is, Doctor Crombie: Do we mock it? Do we laugh at the pitiful attempts of the light? Or, do we embrace it? Enjoy the splendor while it lasts?”

The Doctor found himself smiling, which worried him.

“That...that is not a question that I can answer, Mr. Leer, nor would I try.”

Jack sighed deeply and replied, “Yes, I thought as much.”

Silence.

Then, as if forgetting the conversation, the pale white smile returned, and he asked, “And how are you Doctor Crombie? Is all well with you?”

The Doctor, who had been sitting on his desk, rose calmly, yet wearily, and walked to the window, his steps piercing the shadows.

“In my work, Mr. Leer, I've become very familiar with the works of Freud. You know that, yes?”

Jack nodded slowly, as if he was being tested somehow.

The doctor seemed, for once in his life, uncomfortable, and he gripped his pen firmly, his eyes starting to show a restrained pity.

“And he said, quite simply and truthfully, that it is impossible for a man like me, in medical profession, to treat those in love...”

Here he stopped, and locked eyes with Jack, burnt out grey coals, refracting off the startling green.

“Or the mad.”

Jack’s smile seemed to widen to frightening proportions, “Well, I think you can be the judge of that, doctor. Am I either of those things?”

The doctor looked to the lights, which seemed to have faded back on somehow.

“Mr. Leer, I'm afraid you're quite mad...”

Then, he was mournfully silent. Jack, however, simply laughed; it was a spirited and almost musical laugh.

“Oh no, doctor. I don't think that’s it. I'm not mad. I'm simply...very, very sane!”

The Doctor’s tired eyes seemed to sum up his thoughts on the matter.

“Really?” he asked, humoring the young man, yet taking notes all the same.

“Yes, really. I simply see sense, where people only see mess, disorder, chaos and... When I see, what they call 'sense', I see only disorganization, stupidity, procrastination, fear, and, of course...injustice. That often depends on my ‘mood’, as we might call it.”

The doctor, it seemed, was fighting a losing battle, and it was near impossible to avoid Mr. Leer's 'other' problem. Curing patients was a delicate operation, like digging a precious, yet fragile gem from beneath solid, useless rock. He had to be cautious; slowly chipping away at the rock or the simple problems until, over time, the gem was unearthed and revealed in all its glory, untainted. Only then would Mr. Leer be cured. Despite his subtlety outside this room, however, Jack was incredibly to the point inside it. He wanted to speak about the one true ailment he had.

“In what mood, Mr. Leer?” asked the Doctor, finally giving in.

“Isn't that obvious, dear Doctor?” Jack merrily replied, “Certainly not the one I'm in now. We have talked about this. “

The doctor sat down at his desk with a rueful face. Looking his full sixty-eight years in the dimmed light, he put aside his notepad, pen, and tiny paintbrush.

“I see. Do...do you wish to talk about it, Jack?”

The young man simply looked at him with mock innocence, and it was clear he was rather smug at getting his own way.

“Very well then Mr. Leer, let us talk about your condition. Let us talk about Loki.”

Jack turned his chair around and faced the doctor, his expression half smiling and half frowning. It was rather strange how the introverted reacted to treatment. At first, they were quiet and timid, finding it incredibly difficult to speak of their problems. Then, slowly but surely, they would blossom, opening up bit by bit, until Doctor Crombie had a perfect view of inside their head. It was not always pretty. Mr. Leer, however, seemed to be stuck halfway.

One minute he was patient and thoughtful, and the next he was leaping around the room, breaking things at random. He had had worse patients, reflected the doctor, so he simply dealt with it, in his usual, adamant way.

“Well. It is exactly one week since I last heard of you, Mr. Leer. How many 'fits' have you had since then?”

“A fit?” scoffed Jack, “Not the word I'd choose, Crombie, but I've had around... well... two or three every week... each one much the same as the next.”

The doctor bowed his head like an ancient monk. “Then they have increased, yes? Rather dramatically?”

“Indeed. Some days... some days I'm more Loki than Jack. I risked a great deal coming here, Crombie. It's come to the fact that I don't trust myself...”

The Doctor went to pick up his pen, before deciding against it, and instead he shook his grey head wearily and said, “The human mind is perhaps the most deceptive device in the universe, Jack. You are wise to see that.”

“Oh, I'm not bothered, Crombie. It’s rather... ‘interesting’.”

That certainly caught the doctor off guard. He even took a few seconds to think of an appropriate response. He was worried, something that he never participated in.

“Then... then you no longer fear it?”

The dawn was rising slowly, attempting to break a second horizon, and the block of generic apartments were not far from the window. Only half the morning shone through the window, and so only half of Jack's face was illuminated. It gave him a lopsided and distorted appearance.

“I never feared myself, Crombie. I just feared what I might do...when I’m not myself.”

The doctor fought to organize his own thoughts as he stared at Jack. His thoughts were raging at a fierce pace, birthing a flawless plot with every second that passed, and within moments he had made up his overcrowded mind.

“Very well. Start from the beginning, Mr. Leer, from the very beginning.”

Jack laughed mockingly, a rich almost poisonous laugh, “But Doctor? Have you forgotten?”

The doctor's brow became a tangle of wrinkles as he frowned deeply.

“I do not forget, Mr. Leer. It will however help us both, if you fully describe things.

Not only will I achieve a vast insight into your true feelings on the matter, but you will certainly feel somewhat ‘purified’ if you empty those feelings from the recesses of your mind.”

Jack brushed his hair from his face casually, and sighed mournfully. Once he had flashed a half hearted smile to the ceiling, he began.

“The beginning, oh the beginning. It makes sense that a tale should be opened at the start. Well, I suppose it really began when I was still quite young... around eleven, I'd say.

At that tender age, I was finally beginning to truly understand the world, and the things in it, but what I really wanted to understand, beyond any schooling or lessons, was myself.

At first, it seemed easy: I would simply find a mirror, like the old one in my father’s study, and everyday I'd sit in front of it, cross legged, and stare. Yes, I would simply stare at my own reflection, peering, pouring, and searching for a hint or a clue. I’d hope for even a tiny little gesture that might reveal a soul, or a spirit, or a mindset. Anything that gave me a view of a part of myself so I could understand.

“I did this every so often, because I knew secretly and selfishly that if I kept looking then one day I'd find it. One day I'd find the little spark, the little hidden light that I saw so clearly in everyone else that explained them in a perfect and simplistic manner. I kept looking.

“My mother worried about that, I think, and she seemed to think the mirror scared me, but she had the wrong idea. It was only confusing, like fear, or blindness to something, yet it was not fear.

“So my mother tried to find things for me to do, and her attempts were not in vain.

I began to concentrate under her guidance on a great many other things: my school, nature of other children, and lessons. I was especially interested in science, which, of course, affected me deeply throughout the years with its objective and all seeing logic.

“Around that time, I wasn't just leaving childhood. I was leaving that phase of terribly inaccurate perceptions that so many humans never shed, which sees the world as great, big, woven mystery, a majestic coil that we can never comprehend. It created a world of magic and spirits, where thoughts and feelings became solid and real.

“Yes, Crombie, too many see the world that way; they see it as a concept, a little blessing designed solely for them. But it isn't, is it, doctor? It's a machine; a roaring great contraption of flames and steel that just keeps going, feeding, burning, and if we study and preserve it, we see it for what it really is: a single, simplistic motion. It’s like clockwork: stunning, fascinating, but overall in vain. Ha....”

Jack's mind seemed to have wandered off, and as his eyes began to shine. His expression softened, as though he was about to fall into a deep enchanted sleep.

“Mr. Leer, you are deviating again...” exasperatedly murmured the doctor, cautious but sure. The smile flickered back once more, as quickly as breath may vanish on a frosty window.

“Oh, yes. I'm rather an expert at deviating, aren't I? So, where was I?”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
280 Reviews


Points: 794
Reviews: 280

Donate
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 am
Nutty wrote a review...



Woah. It seems this has already been gone over with a fine-toothed comb.

I guess I shall do too. I haven't read the above critiques, (just noted the size) so if I am repeating, bear with me.

The streets were ghostly quiet, surprisingly lonely, and disturbingly distraught. Only litter stirred there, shifting uneasily in the wind, while the sky was as pale and mild as a newborn.
It was cold, too.

Nice opening. Though, to be nit-picky, how can a street be distraught when there is no-one there? Distraught is a tense, rather active description. It reminds me of weeping women and strangled cries from men. Since the rest of this is implying that the streets are lonely, it seems out of place.
Also, I would omit the 'there' in 'Only litter stirred there', as it adds nothing to the sentence, and is therefore redundant.
I would also omit the 'too' in the last sentence. "It was cold." has more impact.
The wind was only the tiniest of breaths, as though the voice of its bearer had weakened, but for some reason it had chosen to be icy and piercing today.


I would suggest you remove the 'for some reason'. This is a nice description, but this part weakens the whole sentence. Also, omit the 'today'. It is also unnecessary.
All around him dark buildings sprouted as dominant as any mountains

Nice imagery. Just remove 'any'.

was embedded deep in the ground and it was filled with thousands of office-like rooms.

I personally would change it to read "and was filled" rather then "and it was filled". You may have noticed, I am a great believer in the economy of words.
Soon, he was in his room,

Remove the comma. If you're not sure, read the sentence allowed and add commas where you naturally pause.

He adjusted the light. After he set the windows, he gathered a pen, a paintbrush, and a piece of paper. Then he was fixing the chair, a velvet recliner where the last patient had rested, and he was all but ready.


Nice. I got the feeling of a well rehearsed routine, and that in turn gave me an insight on the doctor.

He flashed a lonesome and quite rare smirk.

'quite' doesn't add anything to the sentence.

Love the doctor's notes. Strange and slightly humorous. Made me wonder what kind of person the patient was.
He quite promptly seated in the velvet chair, and lay back, silent at first.

Again, 'quite' doesn't add to the sentence. It makes a clear description unsure. I would suggest not using it in most cases.



Jack had in fact closed his eyes, and he hastily opened them

I would omit 'in fact'. We trust that what you state is fact, we don't need reassurance :wink:

Jack had a calm, yet strangely smooth way of talking that was often betrayed by his unemotional, tortoise like behavior. He may have seemed unnerved in voice, but his body language and expressions seemed to tell a different tale.


A 'calm, smooth voice' doesn't suggest nerves to me. In fact, I would say the 'tortoise-like' body language was more nervy and withdrawn.

which under the effect of the light, had quite a startling effect.

You've used 'effect' twice in a short space of time. I would suggest re-wording.

The doctor did his best to ignore his patient, and he succeeded for a full ten seconds. Suddenly, Jack snatched the little clock in both hands and viciously began to bash it off the wall.


Hehe! I like. Random savagery :wink:

It appeared that Jack had broken that switch, for the chair was now in a constantly slow spin, emitting a soothing, droning sound. Jack was standing on the chair, his head just below those brilliant lights, and he seemed much more imposing from such a height. His arms lay outstretched like some sort of sublimely mad angel, and his eyes sparkled like fractured gems above a crooked and glittering smile. He rotated slowly, not just bathing in the light, but absorbing it, accepting it, mastering it.


Brilliant. I love the way you handle a somewhat deranged character, and the descriptions are great. Very well done.

“They say, doctor...that...it's a struggle...an ongoing struggle between two things....the light, and the dark... don't they?”
The Doctor nodded, just as the rotation brought Jack’s face to view, and he repressed a shiver.
“They were wrong. It's not a battle. It’s slaughter. …a little fading hope against an unquenchable thirst…’


Again, a great insight into Jack's psyche, without being forced or overdone. I genuinely like what you have done with this character, and the doctor's reactions and thoughts are realistic. I must say, I'm almost envious XD

like a fell demon in descent.

Hrrmm. Maybe replace 'fell' with 'fallen'?

the pale white smile returned

I would remove the 'white'. I think it flows better without it.

It's come to the fact that I don't trust myself...”

I think 'came to the point' fits better here.

Overall, this is brilliant. The descriptions are great, and the balance between description, plot and dialogue is well done. I love what you have done with Jack, he's well thought out, intriguing, and as realistic as any 'mad' or 'truely sane' character could be.
I also like the doctor. His mindset and actions complemented each other perfectly, and I was thoroughly convinced.
I also enjoy your style, and was entertained throughout the piece, which is possibly the most important part of storytelling.
I just want to know what 'Loki' is, now.
Very well done.

-Nutty




User avatar
228 Reviews


Points: 1203
Reviews: 228

Donate
Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 am
Linx wrote a review...



*shrugs*
I liked it. It flowed nicely and that short sentence when it says,

It was cold, too

but I am not sure that there is supposed to be a comma between cold and too.
I like the sentence though. :D In fact. I like the whole thing overall. I got a little bit lost during the conversation, but that is probably just me.
Good job! :D




User avatar
842 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 842

Donate
Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:53 pm
ashleylee wrote a review...



Oh, Melkor, I can just sense this is going to be another one of your masterpieces. I read the critiques before I started on the story, and I must say, you have some other fans :wink:

Well, hopefully I can live up to LovableLittleStock's detailed review :P

It was cold, too.


I rather don't like this single sentence. I would add more too it, instead of just saying "It's cold"

This was always the way, thought the doctor. He held his briefcase tightly; he was always enthusiastic, but he was weary too.


Okay, this sentence made sense at first. Then, as the paragraph went on, I wasn't sure I understood the "enthusiastic" part. Yes, I get the doctor is weary and is of the age of sixty-eight...but what makes him enthusiastic? Go into more detail there.

Then he was fixing the chair, a velvet recliner where the last patient had rested, and he was all but ready.


This sentence is awkward. Do you mean that he was "sitting" in the chair or actually "fixing" it?

No one could replace him, and he was quite certain that without him the patients would be rather 'different', which meant the world would be 'different’ for neither better nor worse.


I understand what you are saying here but something is off here. I would try to describe that "differences" you are trying to emphasize, you know?
Also, I want to praise you on your vast vocabulary and way with how you structure your sentences. The way you shaped Doctore Crombie was amazing :D
Okay, I'm done with praising, on with the rest of the review!

He quite promptly seated in the velvet chair, and lay back, silent at first.


I would say "sat" instead of "seated"

Suddenly, Jack snatched the little clock in both hands and viciously began to bash it off the wall.


I think you mean, "viciously began to bash it against the wall"...maybe?

“They say, doctor...that...it's a struggle...an ongoing struggle between two things....the light, and the dark... don't they?”


Just so you know, there should be a space after every (...)

The rotating stopped, and Jack let himself fall back, like a fell demon in descent.


Don't you mean a "fallen demon"...?
Also...how did the lights go out? Did the doctor do it, or Mr. Leer?

“Very well then Mr. Leer, let us talk about your condition. Let us talk about Loki.”


Should be a comma before "Mr. Leer"

Mr. Leer, however, seemed to be stuck halfway.


I think it would sound better if you add "between" at the end of this sentence.

“Oh, I'm not bothered, Crombie. It’s rather... ‘interesting’.”


Wow, I think I understand now...Loki is like his other half. He has a split personality, right? That is really interesting... and disturbing that Mr. Leer think so too :P

Whew, I read it all and let me tell you, you have blew me away, again, Melkor. This, by far, is my favorite story of yours. The descriptions, the doctor, Mr. Leer, the plot, and the thickening insantiy... all so wonderful! :D

You did end at a rather odd spot... so I'm guessing there will be more to this :wink:

Let me know when you post more!




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 17

Donate
Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:10 pm
melkor says...



Alright then.

I'll write it if you read it....

I only have two other crazies at current...

One is this little blonde kid who falls in love with everyone.(when i say kid, I mean twenty something)
(I kid you not, well okay everyone except children, he's terrified of them)
So basically we have the horrifying pathetic and super emotional person.:D

The other is a pretty lady, who in short, is a bitch.
She's nasty without intention, to the point that she can barely from relationships.
I know thats not very crazy in that context, but shes also obsessed with the dead, in very eerie sort of way....

They basically get their own short Dr.crombie scene.

But yeah...

If you think Jacks crazy wait til ya see Loki.....


Also, don't get too attached to any of the characters:D




User avatar
183 Reviews


Points: 2168
Reviews: 183

Donate
Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:01 pm



Hello! Thanks for the nice little response you got there. I appreciate it =]

How did you get so very clever?


I'm super-special.

-I love the way you review, although occassionally, I got alittle confused as to whether you found a bit genuinely good, or you were simply being sarcastic.
e.g
Oh... so he paints with the paintbrush... That should have been blatantly obvious to me from the very beginning =]
Those bits confused me atad....


Well, in this specific example, I was talking about the fact that I was constantly mentioning my confusion with the paintbrush - you know, wondering why it was there and all. When he started to paint with it, I finally got why it was there. That's why I said it should have been obvious to me from the beginning =] Doy.

-I am very happy with you review, because you actually but a ridiculous amount of effort into it.
was this becasue the story wa sinteresting, or because it was wrong in a variety of ways???


If you really want the truth, it was because I was in the mood to review something and give a super-long and in depth review. I've also wanted to do one to a story that wasn't written by an incredibly horrible, amateur writer. Which, unfortunately, there are many on here and they don't even know they're bad XD Moving on..

Do you think it's better to perfect this first bit, or get on with the story?

-I'm glad you like Jack, hes one of the various mad people I have in this book.

I've written about eight pages more, most of which elaborate on Jack/Loki,so if you're actually interested.....


Get on with the story, and then perfect things! Finish before you edit (although I never follow that philospophy myself...) And I love Jackie. Mainly 'cuz he's a crazy handsome guy (Get it? CRAZY handsome? I crack myself up)

And I'd love to read the rest =] I have to go now, though. In Latin class, and the bell rings in two seconds. Byes!

~*Sara*~

PS: I'm fourteen.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 17

Donate
Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:12 am
melkor says...



Dear lord......


How did you get so very clever?

.....

Well....in point form here is my reaction:


-I love the way you review, although occassionally, I got alittle confused as to whether you found a bit genuinely good, or you were simply being sarcastic.
e.g
Oh... so he paints with the paintbrush... That should have been blatantly obvious to me from the very beginning =]
Those bits confused me atad....

-I am very happy with you review, because you actually but a ridiculous amount of effort into it.
was this becasue the story wa sinteresting, or because it was wrong in a variety of ways???

-Right now, I'm going to print me off a copy of your review, and then I'll attempt to take each thing into account.

-Do you think it's better to perfect this first bit, or get on with the story?

-I'm glad you like Jack, hes one of the various mad people I have in this book.

I've written about eight pages more, most of which elaborate on Jack/Loki,so if you're actually interested.....


Anyhooo.......


Love for you etc.
If I knew you a bit better, i'd

A-be able to comment on yopur abilities
and
B-Insert you in the story somewhere as thanks...I do that a lot with people...


having said that..

You're fifteen?


From this review I gather that you have deep understanding of literary concepts which not only outdoes my own at age fifteen, but it makes mine look pitiful age seventeen.

So- 'yes' if you keep up this level of understanding (and I don't know if this applies to you too but for me I'm always more critical of my own writings than of others, so in theory you must be superly acute towards your own writings) you'll be a better writer than me at....

-looks at his watch-

Oh...


now?




User avatar
183 Reviews


Points: 2168
Reviews: 183

Donate
Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 pm
LoveableLittleSock wrote a review...



The streets were ghostly quiet, surprisingly lonely, and disturbingly distraught. Only litter stirred there, shifting uneasily in the wind, while the sky was as pale and mild as a newborn.

It was cold, too.


I love what you did here -- the comedy bit with the annoying, repetitive descriptions and the overly-detailed sentences. And then you're like, "And it was cold, too." You're funny.

The wind was only the tiniest of breaths, as though the voice of its bearer had weakened, but for some reason it had chosen to be icy and piercing today. There was no snow to admire, thought the doctor bitterly, as he fumbled with the frozen key between numb fingers. All around him dark buildings sprouted as dominant as any mountains, sporting leering, shiny faces. Many of them were skyscrapers. He always hated how they stared down at him angrily with a myriad of glittering windows. Each one could hide a face, a witness. Not that he was doing anything wrong of course; he just liked to be secretive. Finally, the key found its place as it turned perfectly in the lock with a subtle creak and Doctor Crombie entered the building at last.


I like your language, but I'm starting to fear for the rest of the story at this point. Is the rest of the piece going to be over-the-top, detail wise? I know you're describing the back drop of the scene, and your personification if wonderful, but I can't help wonder. By the way, there is a comma after "creak" in the last sentence. And also, the sentence I italicized, was one that I felt pushed the story off to a halt. You hear all this description, these sentences teeming with detail and care, and then you see, "... he just liked to be secretive." A fairly innocent sentence, but it's just way to simple for this paragraph. I think what just irks me is the verb "like," because I know you can come up with a much better one than that.

This particular building was much like all the others around it. A gargantuan great block, like a dark tower, was embedded deep in the ground and it was filled with thousands of office-like rooms. Some offices were minuscule, others occupying entire floors. The doctor’s room, was at the very top of the building, and counted as one of the largest there. Luckily for the doctor, there was an elevator.


You write "office-like rooms," yet then you imply that the building is, indeed, composed of offices. I suppose an office can be office-like, but what would be the point in writing that? And the last sentence, "Luckily for the doctor, there was an elevator;" I literally went, "What?" There was an elevator? What's the fun in writing a scene with a guy on an elevator? Why don't you have him climb up stairs? Of course, a couple elevator scenes could prove useful to the story, because it may force social interaction between two people who... Anyway, I guess I just hate the expression, "Luckily for so-and-so..." because it sounds like a guy narrating a cheap television series about space monsters who eat corn. I'm starting to wonder if there is such a series..

This was always the way, thought the doctor. He held his briefcase tightly; he was always enthusiastic, but he was weary too. He was always here, before a single soul stirred, ascending in the elevator to meet patients’ needs. His patients were strange, unpredictable folk, and even he had never counted their numbers. It was because of these patients that he had not got much sleep as of late, what with all the forwarding of appointments, which was rather deteriorating on a man of sixty-eight. Soon, he was in his room, placing his briefcase on the table and tearing his gloves off. He adjusted the light. After he set the windows, he gathered a pen, a paintbrush, and a piece of paper. Then he was fixing the chair, a velvet recliner where the last patient had rested, and he was all but ready.


What's the paintbrush for, first of all? And secondly, in the first sentence you write that he is holding his briefcase tightly, yet he's weary. Which means tired. Either holding such a thing tightly represents either anxiety or enthusiasm, and you write "he was always enthusiastic." Why, though? You also write that he's always the first one there, he's been losing sleep, and so on. Care to tell us why a man like Dr. Crombie is enthusiastic about going to work?

He looked once around the room, for atmosphere was everything in this sort of job, and then, content with it, he sat down on his leather chair and opened his logbook. Doctor Crombie was a rather tall man, and it left an impression on most people. His eyes were deep set and dark, ringed by withered creases, and his skin was like papyrus, emphasizing the dusty plain grey of his hair. Mostly, it was his voice that would be remembered. The doctor had been gifted with a powerful and soothing voice that seemed to shake the very air. It was reassuring, like a gentle giant, but always in control. With a voice like that, coupled with his vast intellect, the doctor could have gone far, but he was content in his work. No one could replace him, and he was quite certain that without him the patients would be rather 'different', which meant the world would be 'different’ for neither better nor worse.


You see what words are in italics? Let me explain what's wrong with them:

1) The first part of the first sentence - there is no point for that. At all. He looks around the room, taking in the atmosphere? How in the world could that possibly move the story along? I mean, I'm all for the characters stopping and smelling the roses, but this line has no place in any piece of writing anywhere, unless the protagonist is a paranoid freak, which, if he is, you have failed to mention.

2) I don't care how you do it. I don't care how detailed you are, how subtle you are, you cannot, and I repeat cannot dump the characters physical characteristics on the reader in one paragraph. Reading something like that makes me want to grab a gun and shoot somebody. You just don't - it's like, an unwritten law. If you really want to let the reader know what he looks like, mention how he's hovering over his patients, or how his clients are mystified by his deep, dark eyes. Write how he runs his hand fingers through his dusty, gray (by the way, it's gray, not "grey") hair, and write how in the darkness his light, papyrus skin stands out. Please, I can see your a brilliant writer - don't stoop so low as to do this again.

The pages of his logbook crackled like dead leaves as he turned them, and Crombie wondered, certainly not for the first time, if his work had any impact on his well being, his opinion, and his sanity. He flashed a lonesome and quite rare smirk. Yes, that would be ironic; perhaps the cure imbues the curse. Thoughtfully, he arrived at the present day’s page, and took a while gazing at it.


This paragraph tells us a lot about Dr. Crombie - how he rarely smiles (or smirks), and how he's very thoughtful about whatever field he works in, although I'm assuming psychiatry. Anyway, I italicized your simile because I wanted to point out how much I liked it =]

Date: September 15, 2005

Room: Six

Time: 1:30 pm. --Moved forward to 5:20 pm.

Duration: Three hours plus.

Patient: Mr. Jack Leer.

Session no: Twelve

Notes:

-Item confiscated 06/05/05, considered detrimental to patient in several ways.

-Tread carefully, use subtlety, eye contact.

-Amber, book, painting, cat, jellybeans, weapons, Loki?

-Paintbrush?

-Remove dangerous and/or provocative objects.


I sort of don't understand why you start the list with, "Item confiscated on 06/05/05," when you fail to mention the item in question (Dude, that totally rhymed). It might be the paintbrush at this point, but I'm not quite sure (if you haven't noticed, I haven't read this first. I'm critiquing as I go to give you a better point of view from the reader). And where the "Amber, book, painting, cat, jellybeans, weapons, Loki?" taken from him, too? Or are they just random tidbits you added to the story in an attempt to make it funny?

Yes, Leer. He was one of his more colourful patients and surely the most fascinating. The doctor was always exactly twenty minutes early, for atmosphere of course, and Jack was always exactly seven minutes late, for, perhaps, the same effect. The doctor sat there pondering silently for a while, mostly in the dark as the only lights were the bright ones in the center of the room. They rested right above the recliner, and, for all their clairvoyance, only illuminated the seat just below them. It gave the rest of the room a sickly glow.


Very nice way of describing the room. And on my spell-checker it says "colourful" is spelled wrong, but it may be how Europeans spell it, so I don't know. And that... thing... in italics should die. Because I'm starting to hate how you're referring to atmosphere when it's completely irrelevant to everything else. But, if you want to keep it, keep it. And one more thing: second sentence, comma after "mostly in the dark."

Mr. Leer arrived, and he was greeted at exactly five twenty seven. He quite promptly seated in the velvet chair, and lay back, silent at first. In mere minutes, however, the patient would turn from a quiet, introverted man to a vivaciously outgoing specimen. Doctor Crombie paced around him, taking notes with paper and pen, and occasionally taking up his paintbrush.


This paintbrush symbolizes something, I know it. I just can't put my finger on it, obviously because I don't have enough information. Wonderful use of suspension, even though it's very subtle. And I do believe a dash should go between "five" and "seven;" and no comma should be between, "In mere minutes," and "however" because you do not naturally pause there. Read it out loud - it sounds awkward. And why is Dr. Crombie pacing around this poor man? That should make anybody pretty anxious, but hey, he's the shrink, not me.

“Well, Mr. Leer. It's been a while. Have we had any....progress?” asked the Doctor, his voice lurking in the air for some time after he spoke. Jack had in fact closed his eyes, and he hastily opened them and looked almost innocently at the doctor.


"Well, Mr. Leer," and "It's been a while" are both parts of the same thought, so I suggest you replace that period with a comma. And the bit about Jack closing his eyes and reopening them - it's a tad awkward from my angle, because when you read "Jack had in fact closed his eyes," you expect him to keep them closed or take a deep breath, because apparently he has closed his eyes before the narrator took notice. When he "hastily opens them," it makes no sense, because he might have as well have kept them open if he does both action in the same sentence (unless he's blinking). When he looks around the room it's like he's lost his memory or something of that nature, because he looks innocent, and that can only tell us a couple of things. I hope you can understand what I'm rambling about, because I'm not re-reading it =p

“None what-so-ever. In fact, it has worsened.”

“Ahh...”

The doctor held back a sigh. He knew exactly what troubled the man, but he wished to be subtle, and so he began to discuss the more generic problems that Mr. Leer suffered from.

“How is your painting then?” he ventured.

“It's changed. Dramatically, in fact, it seems that when my mood changes, the focus also changes, so it's almost like two paintings, on one canvas...”

Jack had a calm, yet strangely smooth way of talking that was often betrayed by his unemotional, tortoise like behavior. He may have seemed unnerved in voice, but his body language and expressions seemed to tell a different tale.

“Is that so? Fascinating,” the doctor drawled, making a quick note, and once more tried to avoid 'that' topic.

“Is the cat eating again?”

“I assume so. It's possibly the only creature alive that can abide me, other than you doctor, but you're quite non-conforming, more of a wraith than a man.”


Ah, the first dialogue of the story. Let me just point out the comma that should be between "painting" and "then" in the fourth paragraph. Second, the paragraph in italics completely repeats itself. You tell us the tone of his voice doesn't match his body language in the first paragraph, and then you state the same exact thing again, only with different words. And "tortoise-like?" Elaborate?

On saying this, Jack turned and smiled, which under the effect of the light, had quite a startling effect. Jack was one of the youngest of his patients, still in his early twenties, yet still, perhaps, the most troubled. The main problem was that he didn't immediately strike a person as odd. He was a tall, well built person with a perfectly ordinary dress sense, and polite enough mannerisms. The most disarming and indeed misleading feature of Mr. Leer, however, was that he was also, in fact, quite handsome. He had pale delicate features, angled dark hair, and piercing green eyes that seemed to dominate his entire person. He was consistently witty and clever despite his introverted and antisocial nature, and he had a large sum of money and achievements to his name. All things considered, he was a man who had had a considerable amount of luck in the world, and yet, the doctor had rarely encountered a man so wretched, so insecure. This man struggled more to understand himself than he did others.


You did it again, didn't you? You info-dumped his physical characteristics. Brilliantly written they may be, you have to keep it subtle. You're trying, but it isn't working well enough. What I personally suggest is you omit the sentence in italics, because the rest is perfectly fine. Fit those traits in somewhere else where people start to care.

“The book, Mr.Leer, what of the book?”

“I finished it; actually...I simply can't find it.”

The difficulty with Jack was that he treasured information almost jealously, and it was a dire struggle to get him to part with it. However, there was a topic the doctor could easily speak of which had nothing to do with his much larger, darker problem.

“Are things well with Amber, then?” asked the Doctor, putting all his cunning and guile into his voice.

“Well...”


Can I ask why there is a semi-colon after "it" in the second paragraph? Strange. Change it to a comma, will you? Moving on, the second sentence in the third paragraph, the one in italics, confuses me. When he says "there is a topic," is he speaking of the topic he just mentioned? Or is he talking about Amber, and the fact that he's possessive is his larger, darker problem?

Jack seemed to float into a dream at the question, choosing to look at the lights rather than the doctor. The lights themselves were an odd feature, weighing heavily in the center of the room. An opening had been made in the ceiling, a sort of cavernous dome that lay above that vital chair, and in it sputtered pale lights. Most were yellow and white colours that cast their brilliance on that particular patient. And, again, most patients reeled from the light, as though trying and failing to avoid it, and so, the doctor often found he had to turn them off beforehand.


There is no comma between "so" and "the doctor" in the last sentence. That's really all that's worth mentioning, here. Although you sort of are info-dumping with the lights, I'll let it slide because it's not that bad.

But Jack...he seemed to welcome the light, almost as though he was reaching out to it.


What a strange boy.

As the doctor watched him now, he was perfectly still, his hands resting on his chest and his hair about his face. The tiniest of smirks was escaping from his lips, but his eyes...they seemed to be moving at a pace too quick for the old doctor to mark, as if Jack had spotted a thousand drifting shadows, and was trying to watch each one. The light seemed to spill into his eyes instead of anywhere else, and as the doctor watched, it looked as if a shadowy wraith had lain before him. It was wreathed in darkness, save for two glowing, green eyes that were fixed to the heavens. They never blinked, constantly moved, and appeared to be unbreakable. Yet, they were somewhat tainted, and held just the tiniest hint of a pale smile. This is different, the doctor told himself, and that was all. It was not wicked, nor angelic, just simply different.


escaping: wrong verb. A smirk cannot escape from your lips, but "settle upon it," or be "creeping along." You get the gist?
wraith: From what I remember, you had mentioned that Dr. Crombie was a wraith, or seemed like a wraith, yet you mention no such thing. I guess you just like this word.

I don't like this paragraph at all, and I would recommend getting rid of it. It give absolutely nothing to the story, besides the fact that Jack is different, which you have already established. To me it just seems like your rambling on and on, just in a descriptive and colorful way.

“Jack?” asked the doctor, his own voice seeming to echo endlessly in oblivion.

“She's fine, really. I don't see her often. I've became too...unpredictable, you see. Things have to change. I still love her, though, if that counts for anything...”

The spell seemed to have broken and Jack had returned to the same attitude as before. The Doctor dimmed the lights a little, and noted that the smile had vanished.

“Yes, I see.”


in: I think it's "into."
became: it's "become," Jackie sweetheart.
Doctor: This isn't capitalized.

The paintbrush was drawn again. There was silence for a while, both men seemingly deep in thought. The Doctor continued painting, but he didn't speak of it, for he was a firm believer in patience. Jack, however, soon became restless. One minute he was smiling at the lights, and the next he was sitting up to looking out the window to the vast, great city. Morning seemed to be brewing.


Oh... so he paints with the paintbrush... That should have been blatantly obvious to me from the very beginning =]

Several minutes had passed when suddenly Jack’s expression changed. His body tensed as though he was suddenly aware of something being both threatening and close. The doctor instantly marked this, but he pretended not to notice, even as Jack slowly stood up, a wicked intent and a sort of fear in his eyes. Jack didn’t, however, pay any attention to the doctor; rather, he crept to the corner of the room, where a small, very old clock was ticking in an almost arrhythmic way. He began to study it, as though it might attack him at any moment. Then, he began to murmur something, as though he was chanting, and he spoke softly. The doctor could just barely make out the words and what he could hear left him somewhat disturbed.


I don't see anything wrong with this. I wonder what's he's going to do to the clock. Smash it?

“Tick...tock...tick...tock...”

The doctor did his best to ignore his patient, and he succeeded for a full ten seconds. Suddenly, Jack snatched the little clock in both hands and viciously began to bash it off the wall.

“MR LEER!” shouted the doctor, mostly in frustration.

Jack leapt a foot back in shock, and dropped the clock on the ground, suddenly looking quiet and harmless again, if a little afraid.

“I'm...I'm sorry doctor... I-I can’t stand to be imitated...” he whimpered, and his voice was like a tiny breeze passing through the boughs of an old tree. The doctor raised a single eyebrow, and then returned to his work, watching Jack out of the corner of his eye. The patient crept back into his chair as though he was treading on thin ice. The doctor couldn't resist a smile. He was purposefully ignoring Jack now, knowing all too well that his erratic behavior would only increase, and thus the window into his psyche would be just a bit wider.


snatched the little clock in both hands and viciously began to bash it off the wall: I KNEW IT!
“MR LEER!” shouted the doctor, mostly in frustration: There's a period after "MR," and omit "mostly in frustration." We can infer that he's frustrated by the fact that he's yelling.
leapt: It's "leaped."
was like a tiny breeze passing through the boughs of an old tree: I just ADORE your similes!

It seemed that, for at least a little while, that Jack had calmed down. Indeed, the doctor was rewarded with an entire seven minutes of silence, and he fed on the creativity of it. When he heard a tiny little sound that reminded him of the clicking and turning of gears, he frowned. It seemed as if it came from some sort of device. It was not a completely alien sound, simply one he wasn't expecting.


He fed on the creativity of the silence? Huh? And what's this with the clicking and turning of gears? The clock's dead, and Jackie was all like, "Stop imitating me!" to the clock. Ew, does Jack make clock-ish sounds? If the clock isn't alive and Jack doesn't make weird sounds, then you're going to have to help me out here. =]

“Jack.....” sighed the Doctor heavily, as he gently sat his page face down on the desk and turned to stare at his patient. Jack, who was not content with simply sitting like a normal person might, had begun to fiddle with the chair’s mechanism. It was a little machine on the underside which allowed the chair to turn around with a flick of the switch. It appeared that Jack had broken that switch, for the chair was now in a constantly slow spin, emitting a soothing, droning sound. Jack was standing on the chair, his head just below those brilliant lights, and he seemed much more imposing from such a height. His arms lay outstretched like some sort of sublimely mad angel, and his eyes sparkled like fractured gems above a crooked and glittering smile. He rotated slowly, not just bathing in the light, but absorbing it, accepting it, mastering it.


That should either be "and," or you take the comma away. And wow, someone's getting a little strange. Mastering the light, eh?

“They were wrong.”

It was all he said in a quiet, yet suggestive voice. He tipped his head back, and closed his eyes like some sort of unearthly parasite feeding on light itself.

“Pardon, Mr. Leer?” asked the doctor, half fascinated, half irritated.

“The people...a lot of them were wrong.” Jack laughed a sort of humming, closed mouth laugh that reinforced his wide smile.

“I daresay they were! Wrong about what, Jack?” the doctor’s voice showed genuine confusion, he sincerely wished Jack would open his eyes, yet he was unsure why. Jack opened his mouth fully and, as though relishing it, emitted a faint 'Ha!’. His eyes remained closed, and his pose did not change.

“They say, doctor...that...it's a struggle...an ongoing struggle between two things....the light, and the dark... don't they?”

The Doctor nodded, just as the rotation brought Jack’s face to view, and he repressed a shiver.

“They were wrong. It's not a battle. It’s slaughter. …a little fading hope against an unquenchable thirst…’


Put an "and" between "confusion" and "he." And Jackie's creeping me out a little bit now. Obviously that's your intention, so I've sent some Kudos your way. And I don't really catch the last sentence Jackie utters.. I understand how it's a slaughter, but who's winning? And why? And how is it a little fading hope against an unquenchable... OH. Never mind. I got it.

Jack’s body began to rake with laughter at the revelation, ‘Yes! Light can never last! It's fleeting, doctor! It’s just a little spark, powered by an energy that can never last for an eternity. Electricity, candles, explosions, the sun! They all die eventually, but darkness never dies. It just keeps going, waiting, watching, and as soon as the light weakens, it pounces! Darkness is a constant, doctor. Light is a variable. Doctor, they were wrong.”


Wow, he's deep. And why did you put an apostrophe there instead of a quote. Oh, and you put one after "thirst..." too. Silly.

The Doctor paused for exactly twelve seconds considering this, and then, without warning, the lights flickered off. The rotating stopped, and Jack let himself fall back, like a fell demon in descent. He landed on the chair, arms still reaching and clawing at the shadows, and he laid his head back over the edge of the chair so that he was staring at the doctor from upside down.

exactly twelve seconds: How is the relevant? Just say "several seconds."
He landed on the chair: Ow! That must've hurt.

“The question is, Doctor Crombie: Do we mock it? Do we laugh at the pitiful attempts of the light? Or, do we embrace it? Enjoy the splendor while it lasts?”

The Doctor found himself smiling, which worried him.

“That...that is not a question that I can answer, Mr. Leer, nor would I try.”

Jack sighed deeply and replied, “Yes, I thought as much.”

Silence.


Ooh. It's getting all suspenseful up in here. And maybe you could put an "ever" in that second piece of dialogue, so Dr. Crombie would be saying, "nor would I ever try?" Just asking.

Then, as if forgetting the conversation, the pale white smile returned, and he asked, “And how are you Doctor Crombie? Is all well with you?”

The Doctor, who had been sitting on his desk, rose calmly, yet wearily, and walked to the window, his steps piercing the shadows.

“In my work, Mr. Leer, I've become very familiar with the works of Freud. You know that, yes?”

Jack nodded slowly, as if he was being tested somehow.

The doctor seemed, for once in his life, uncomfortable, and he gripped his pen firmly, his eyes starting to show a restrained pity.


“And how are you Doctor Crombie? Is all well with you?”: I love how he's so random, and doesn't act like he was being a crazy bat seconds ago.
if he: I would suggest putting the word "knew he" after these - "as if he KNEW HE was being tested."

“And he said, quite simply and truthfully, that it is impossible for a man like me, in medical profession, to treat those in love...”

Here he stopped, and locked eyes with Jack, burnt out grey coals, refracting off the startling green.

“Or the mad.”

Jack’s smile seemed to widen to frightening proportions, “Well, I think you can be the judge of that, doctor. Am I either of those things?”


“Or the mad.”: Isn't he all daring and powerful?
Am I either: Write "Am I ONE..." because you put two vowels next to each other, and it sounds strange..

The doctor looked to the lights, which seemed to have faded back on somehow.

“Mr. Leer, I'm afraid you're quite mad...”

Then, he was mournfully silent. Jack, however, simply laughed; it was a spirited and almost musical laugh.

“Oh no, doctor. I don't think that’s it. I'm not mad. I'm simply...very, very sane!”

The Doctor’s tired eyes seemed to sum up his thoughts on the matter.

“Really?” he asked, humoring the young man, yet taking notes all the same.

“Yes, really. I simply see sense, where people only see mess, disorder, chaos and... When I see, what they call 'sense', I see only disorganization, stupidity, procrastination, fear, and, of course...injustice. That often depends on my ‘mood’, as we might call it.”


This is all fine, except for the last paragraph. I sort of just went, "... Huh?"

The doctor, it seemed, was fighting a losing battle, and it was near impossible to avoid Mr. Leer's 'other' problem. Curing patients was a delicate operation, like digging a precious, yet fragile gem from beneath solid, useless rock. He had to be cautious; slowly chipping away at the rock or the simple problems until, over time, the gem was unearthed and revealed in all its glory, untainted. Only then would Mr. Leer be cured. Despite his subtlety outside this room, however, Jack was incredibly to the point inside it. He wanted to speak about the one true ailment he had.


untainted: This sort of makes the sentence lose it's dramatic sense. Make it just end with "glory."

“In what mood, Mr. Leer?” asked the Doctor, finally giving in.

“Isn't that obvious, dear Doctor?” Jack merrily replied, “Certainly not the one I'm in now. We have talked about this. “

The doctor sat down at his desk with a rueful face. Looking his full sixty-eight years in the dimmed light, he put aside his notepad, pen, and tiny paintbrush.

“I see. Do...do you wish to talk about it, Jack?”


Looking his full sixty-eight years: See! There's subtle! That's the subtle physical characteristic thing I'm talking about.

The young man simply looked at him with mock innocence, and it was clear he was rather smug at getting his own way.

“Very well then Mr. Leer, let us talk about your condition. Let us talk about Loki.”

Jack turned his chair around and faced the doctor, his expression half smiling and half frowning. It was rather strange how the introverted reacted to treatment. At first, they were quiet and timid, finding it incredibly difficult to speak of their problems. Then, slowly but surely, they would blossom, opening up bit by bit, until Doctor Crombie had a perfect view of inside their head. It was not always pretty. Mr. Leer, however, seemed to be stuck halfway.

One minute he was patient and thoughtful, and the next he was leaping around the room, breaking things at random. He had had worse patients, reflected the doctor, so he simply dealt with it, in his usual, adamant way.


Nothing's really wrong with this.

“Well. It is exactly one week since I last heard of you, Mr. Leer. How many 'fits' have you had since then?”

“A fit?” scoffed Jack, “Not the word I'd choose, Crombie, but I've had around... well... two or three every week... each one much the same as the next.”

The doctor bowed his head like an ancient monk. “Then they have increased, yes? Rather dramatically?”

“Indeed. Some days... some days I'm more Loki than Jack. I risked a great deal coming here, Crombie. It's come to the fact that I don't trust myself...”

The Doctor went to pick up his pen, before deciding against it, and instead he shook his grey head wearily and said, “The human mind is perhaps the most deceptive device in the universe, Jack. You are wise to see that.”

“Oh, I'm not bothered, Crombie. It’s rather... ‘interesting’.”


Put a comma after "well." Haha, that's it. I'm too busy reading the story to really comment on it much. But I'm starting to assume that Jack is secretly some mystical creature, preferably Loki, that mischievous dude?

That certainly caught the doctor off guard. He even took a few seconds to think of an appropriate response. He was worried, something that he never participated in.

“Then... then you no longer fear it?”

The dawn was rising slowly, attempting to break a second horizon, and the block of generic apartments were not far from the window. Only half the morning shone through the window, and so only half of Jack's face was illuminated. It gave him a lopsided and distorted appearance.

I never feared myself, Crombie. I just feared what I might do...when I’m not myself.”


"I'VE never." And fear what? I wonder..

The doctor fought to organize his own thoughts as he stared at Jack. His thoughts were raging at a fierce pace, birthing a flawless plot with every second that passed, and within moments he had made up his overcrowded mind.

“Very well. Start from the beginning, Mr. Leer, from the very beginning.”

Jack laughed mockingly, a rich almost poisonous laugh, “But Doctor? Have you forgotten?”

The doctor's brow became a tangle of wrinkles as he frowned deeply.

“I do not forget, Mr. Leer. It will however help us both, if you fully describe things.

Not only will I achieve a vast insight into your true feelings on the matter, but you will certainly feel somewhat ‘purified’ if you empty those feelings from the recesses of your mind.”


a rich almost poisonous: Should be a comma between "a rich" and "almost."
And that paragraph in italics - it's a nice paragraph, but should it not be attached to the previous one?

Jack brushed his hair from his face casually, and sighed mournfully. Once he had flashed a half hearted smile to the ceiling, he began.


and sighed mournfully: "...and HE sighed mournfully."
began.: Put a colon instead, because you can tell he's going to be saying really important things here, and so on.

“The beginning, oh the beginning. It makes sense that a tale should be opened at the start. Well, I suppose it really began when I was still quite young... around eleven, I'd say.

At that tender age, I was finally beginning to truly understand the world, and the things in it, but what I really wanted to understand, beyond any schooling or lessons, was myself.

At first, it seemed easy: I would simply find a mirror, like the old one in my father’s study, and everyday I'd sit in front of it, cross legged, and stare. Yes, I would simply stare at my own reflection, peering, pouring, and searching for a hint or a clue. I’d hope for even a tiny little gesture that might reveal a soul, or a spirit, or a mindset. Anything that gave me a view of a part of myself so I could understand.

“I did this every so often, because I knew secretly and selfishly that if I kept looking then one day I'd find it. One day I'd find the little spark, the little hidden light that I saw so clearly in everyone else that explained them in a perfect and simplistic manner. I kept looking.

“My mother worried about that, I think, and she seemed to think the mirror scared me, but she had the wrong idea. It was only confusing, like fear, or blindness to something, yet it was not fear.

“So my mother tried to find things for me to do, and her attempts were not in vain.

I began to concentrate under her guidance on a great many other things: my school, nature of other children, and lessons. I was especially interested in science, which, of course, affected me deeply throughout the years with its objective and all seeing logic.

“Around that time, I wasn't just leaving childhood. I was leaving that phase of terribly inaccurate perceptions that so many humans never shed, which sees the world as great, big, woven mystery, a majestic coil that we can never comprehend. It created a world of magic and spirits, where thoughts and feelings became solid and real.

“Yes, Crombie, too many see the world that way; they see it as a concept, a little blessing designed solely for them. But it isn't, is it, doctor? It's a machine; a roaring great contraption of flames and steel that just keeps going, feeding, burning, and if we study and preserve it, we see it for what it really is: a single, simplistic motion. It’s like clockwork: stunning, fascinating, but overall in vain. Ha....”

Jack's mind seemed to have wandered off, and as his eyes began to shine. His expression softened, as though he was about to fall into a deep enchanted sleep.

“Mr. Leer, you are deviating again...” exasperatedly murmured the doctor, cautious but sure. The smile flickered back once more, as quickly as breath may vanish on a frosty window.

“Oh, yes. I'm rather an expert at deviating, aren't I? So, where was I?”


"As A great,"
And nothing's wrong with Jackie's little speech, and I congratulate you with that.

~*~*~*~

DOCTOR CROMBIE

From this, you can tell a lot about the doctor. He's patient and kind, yet he does harbor a deep feeling where he wants to have power over his clients. He isn't frustrated easily, although he does get so at the time (like when Jackie smashed the clock), but he doesn't get so in vain. In the beginning I thought this guy was going to be this super-dreary, suicidal psychologist who really had no interests in life. I actually did not expect Jackie to come in at all.

JACK LEER

JACKIE! I love this character - you did such a good job with him. From what I've gathered, he's a loon, yet a very logical and intelligent loon (although a loon, nonetheless). He looks at life from a different point of view, and is doesn't find it the slightest bit irritating that he's special (I may be wrong here) in this way. He has many temper tantrums, as we've seen and he's confirmed, but we don't really know what has caused his lunacy. I'm suspecting that he's special in maybe a supernatural way, or he's incredibly intelligent, or he may just have some mental disorder. You tell me.

GRAMMAR

You're grammar is fine - just a couple of commas here and there.

LANGUAGE:

I want a vocabulary as large as yours. It seems you showed off in the beginning, maybe because you wanted to hook your reader. As the story progressed your words became shorter and your sentences simpler, which is great; you don't want to overwhelm the reader. I love, love, love your similes, and I like how you use them in moderation.

OVERALL

You're a very clever writer who knows what he's doing then his fingers hit the keyboard (or wrap around a pencil). Personification and foreshadowing seem to be your favorite devices, because if you didn't notice, I was guessing what was to happen through out the entire chapter. I enjoyed this very much, and I do hope there is a sequel (I probably won't critique it though, because this one took me like, TWO HOURS). Your characters are developed, although you do have some problems at times with stilted dialogue and some confusion in your language, where your readers have to re-read it a couple of times to understand what you're saying. Other than those, you're fabulous. This entire piece is fabulous.

Can I ask you a question? Your super-small profile says that you're seventeen - how long have you been writing? You're great, phenomenal - in the three years I have before I reach your age, will I be able to reach your level? These are questions for your guest book, I know, but I'm way too lazy to even think about posting on there.

Great job!

Toodles!
~*Sara*~




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 17

Donate
Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:17 pm
melkor says...



Well hello there.

Thanks for the review.
Yes, I have taken that into consideration, I guess a character study at the begining of a book is a little off the radar.

I'm planning on adding a little begininng scene which essentially confuses and hopefully encourages the reader.

I will continue, but that depends on how happy my readers are, and how good the story is....

-ponders-

It's undecided...




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:43 pm
~nariel~ wrote a review...



This was extremley well written and I really liked it. Your vocabulary and grammar are well done, so I don't have any comments there.

There are some parts in the beginning that seem to drag on, so I suggest you speed things up just a little bit. I liked your descriptions in the beginning though, especially of the doctor and skyscrapers.

The middle scene with the doctor and Jack made me want to keep reading. It was original and very captivating. Jack is a great and unique character...And kinda creepy. :)

I was dissapointed when this came to an end and I hope you make this into something longer. My only suggestion to you would to try and start your beginning off with a bang because the one you have here doesn't draw me in that well.

But, good work and I hope you continue.

*Gold star*

Nariel





I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil