Boromir

by megsug

In 1954 a man by the name of J.R.R.

Tolkien published a book he titled The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the trilogy Lord of the Rings. A character that is introduced and dies in this book is a man of the name Boromir. He is the epitome of ‘man’ in Middle Earth. He’s impatient, selfish, and quick to anger. Boromir is the one of the first characters in the trilogy to fall under the Ring’s enchantment. He attacks the protagonist, Frodo, for it and is painted as a generally unlikable character. However, Boromir, a man who tried to take the Ring for his own purposes, demonstrates humility and honor towards the end of his life. He attempts to save two other Hobbits that accompanied Frodo, sacrificing himself so they might be saved. With his dying breath, he shows great humility by apologizing for attacking Frodo and dies an honorable man.

Boromir is the first character in any literature I became aware of that fits into the group I call ‘redeemed characters.’ These characters are creations that begin the story as unlikeable but endear themselves in one way or another at the end of the story or their involvement in the story. Sometimes I call these characters the ‘Boromir character’ because he was the first I was aware of.

He also opened my eyes to the fact that goodness is in everyone. If a man can endanger the world and still protect practically defenseless beings with his own life, could not a man here on Earth, in reality, make a horrendous mistake and redeem himself? I think he could. Whatever the mistake, I think it could be overcome and that legacy replaced with a more favorable one. I try, sometimes unsuccessfully, to give people the benefit of the doubt. Boromir is one of the reasons why.

Boromir shown me that actions do not always mirror one’s soul. Sometimes outside factors tarnish the surface, and we need to be understanding enough to either ignore the smudges or learn to accept them. Maybe I should have mentioned that the ring would be the perfect weapon to defeat an army that was coming to destroy his city, to save hundreds of thousands of lives. Sometimes, one’s reasons, reasons we cannot always see, are often better than the outcome they create.

Oh girl, a college application essay? then you KNOW i am all over this.
these are important; we have to get them right. we have to work for hours and days and weeks, so let us get started.

first of all, the technical is EXTREMELY important in applications, so i'll give examples of nitpicking for you to be aware of in your second draft.

In 1954 a man by the name of J.R.R. Tolkien published a book he titled The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the trilogy Lord of the Rings.

In 1954, a man by the name of J.R.R. Tolkein published a book he titled The Fellowship of the Ring, the first in the trilogy Lord of the Rings.
though as jack said, volume would be better.
but as i say, this is a completely completely unnecessary sentence. the people who read your application are old and have probably heard a lot of things in popular culture, especially since lord of the rings was around before the movies, the movies were extremely popular, and the recent release of the hobbit has brought them all back into popular memory. you DO NOT NEED to introduce the concept of lotr to your application reader, and even if you want to give them base information, the name of the author, laid out in such a clunky way, is ONLY eating up your word limit. omg, please please please look for every way you can condense, so you can fit more words of value in!

Sometimes, one’s reasons, reasons we cannot always see, are often better than the outcome they create.

learn to use m-dashes! they're awesome: sometimes, one's reasons -- reasons we cannot always see -- are better than the outcome they create.
(hey, you said sometimes, but then you said often; keep an eye on that! you can only have one temporal moderator at a time!)

now now now, i am done with nitpicks and you need to seriously rehaul this. like i said, boromir and lotr need far less introduction, which means you can cut your "i should have told you that the ring was really powerful" that comes close to the end, too. in fact, i am going to quote here all that i think is necessary:

He is the epitome of ‘man’ in Middle Earth. He’s impatient, selfish, and quick to anger. Boromir is the one of the first characters in the trilogy to fall under the Ring’s enchantment. He attacks the protagonist, Frodo (+ something about how this is bad 'cause frodo's innocent) ... {he} demonstrates humility and honor towards the end of his life. He attempts to save two other Hobbits that accompanied Frodo, sacrificing himself so they might be saved. With his dying breath, he shows great humility by apologizing for attacking Frodo and dies an honorable man. ... could not a man here on Earth, in reality, make a horrendous mistake and redeem himself? I think he could.

and NOW you need to show /yourself/. it's a college essay, and the reason they want to read a college essay is to learn about YOU, not about what you call boromir characters (which by the way, you shouldn't claim to have named, 'cause lots of people study characters and tropes and define their actions by labels and stuff, so if you want to get personal about how you named them, instead describe how you feel about them).

the main point is, how has this changed you, and how does that make you better equipped to live in the world. you get into it a little: you try to see past people's mistakes, and you give them the benefit of the doubt. that's good, but it's weak. how has boromir changed your world view? when did you first realize it? tell an anecdote about yourself, now, to show why you chose this topic and what it reveals about you as a person.

good luck. put up second and third drafts. let me know if you have questions.

megsug says...

Thank you for this. I was wondering about how in depth I needed to go with the storyline, so this eases my mind and my word count. :)

Firestarter wrote a review...

One does not simply ... write an essay about Boromir.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you had a word limit or not for this but I think a few of your ideas could be elaborated upon. Specifically, the idea that the ring could have been the perfect weapon to defeat an army. Would it really? Remember that to anybody not powerful enough, the One Ring is not that much help. I would have preferred a discussion on why Boromir was so mistaken about the ring. I believe it's because he knew little about its lore and history, whereas the Elves and Gandalf and other learned creatures knew the only way to defeat Sauron was to destroy the ring, rather than use it. Perhaps it is because Boromir is a trained warrior but not an intellectual? And this, in the end, failed him, because he could only think militarily. His bravery and his loyalty are to be commended, but his failure to think should not be. It is probably also worth mentioning that Boromir's unwavering loyalty to Gondor was one of the motives behind is attempt to take the One Ring. A discussion on whether a man should be always loyal no matter what would be interesting here: see Nazi officers in the Second World War and psychological experiments done afterwards on why people simply follow orders.

There's a lot of tangents you could explore and that's why to me this essay seems too short and not fully-rounded.

On a specifically pedantic point, The Fellowship of the Ring is a volume, not a book, and Boromir actually dies in the book The Ring Goes South.

megsug says...

Thank you. I find your tangents fascinating. However, I did have a word limit and a prompt. Exploring the tangents would be getting off topic. It is something to think about if I decide to repurpose this essay though which I thank you for.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:59 am
Craz wrote a review...

Wow.
Not only am I inspired by this, but I think I might actually watch Lord of the Rings. I was a little dubious at the beginning, because I didn't know where you were going with it. I think another term to describe Boromir is a dynamic character, because he was viewed as 'that crazy villain guy' but near the end of his life he became 'that cool guy that died'. Of course, I only watched the first movie maybe once so I could be wrong. Your writing is extremely good, and I would like to read more of it. ~:P

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 am

Hey there;)
Interesting stuff you have here. I kind of just sat back, thinking about what you've written. I consider myself a pretty solid LOTR fan, and Boromir was one of those characters I didn't know what to feel for. I mean, sure, there are always characters that we initially hate and then turn into the good guys (directors love having those kinds of characters there). I can name many examples of those, and surely can you.
The thing that I ask myself is that do we really forgive those characters at their end for all they've done? Might sound like an evil thing to say, and Boromir isn't the best example because he hasn't actually done anything too evil to the group (apart from chasing after Frodo). What I feel for Boromir in this case is that he's been simply screwed over by the ring's powers. Can we really blame him for that?
Of course, I was really sad at his death, and it's still a scene I watch with wet eyes, and I can't help but think that it's just unfair that he died - he could have been very useful later on.
(I feel I'm striving a little off topic here;P )
So, overall - when you're talking about the so-called 'redeemed characters', think about who they were the whole story through. Do you forgive them at their end for what they've done? For Boromir, I certainly do, but for other characters of the same type, I'm not so sure.
Darth Vader, Prince Zuko (from Avatar) - to name two examples of the same character type - to what extent can they really be re-deemed? Have they done enough to be truly forgiven for all at the end?
That's just a little thing to think about...
Still, overall - loved it. Keep up the great work, hope you get into that uni!

Whisperer says...

Hey. Zuko redeemed himself, all right? ;)

Hahaha, okay, maybe I'd have to agree with that example. He definitely redeemed himself more than Vader... but, I can't close my eyes to how he treated Iroh, and don't forget he rampaged and burned villages, eh?
*I still think he's the coolest*

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 pm
Pencil2paper says...

That was a very interesting essay. I have to say that I agree with you about how many people can be redeemed, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that everyone, no matter what they've done, is redeemable. I think that there is a certian point of no return, but it is very far away. I actually liked Boromir from the biginning, even with his faults, and he has continued to be one of my favorite characters in the trilogy. Overall it was a good essay, but I would suggest if you are doing this for school to make it longer and to use third person (something I learned the hard way). Otherwise, it was a good essay. Keep writing!

megsug says...

It's for a college application, so it can't be any longer than 500 words, and it's supposed to be about me and my feelings on the topic at hand... which I apparently forgot to put on there. :P

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott