Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Narrative

You Are Not a Failure

by megmcdonald

You are not a failure.

If I’m being candid, I have been struggling lately with feeling like a failure. My creativity has felt shot down and not much has made me feel motivated. All my days seem to blend together with the same routine. It looks like this: force myself out of bed, coffee (immediately), get ready for class, go to class, go to the library and study (more coffee), workout (if I feel motivated to), go back to my room and mindlessly scroll through social media or watch Netflix, repeat. As of recently, there has been no grit and no passion for what I was doing.

I knew something had to be done and I have started working on a life that I can leap out of bed for. With a happy heart, I can say I am so excited for all I have planned. It is going to be hard and I have to keep reminding myself that I am not a failure. My plans have changed, and I have changed, and that is okay. I don’t have to do what I said I was going to. I don’t have to stay where I said I’d be. It’s okay that what use to make me happy has changed. I am growing, and sometimes that is uncomfortable. Right now, I am figuring out just what my new plan is going to look like. I’m taking my time, making sure I leave room for it to change and grow too.

I guess the point of this piece is that I want you to know you are not a failure if you’re not doing what you told anyone you would be. I’m working on changing majors and hobbies. I am writing a lot and it is making me so happy. I am also learning to let my writing be what I want it to be. Sometimes I feel pressured to write something I think represents who people think I am instead of what I am really feeling. I have some crazy ideas I have been afraid to write. Lately, I have been letting myself write boldly, and I am working on letting myself share it. Life is not meant to be linear, it is okay to change. You can change your hair, your mind, your opinions, your job, or your major. Change does not make you a failure, it means you actually care about living an authentic and happy life.

If change is knocking at your door, do not be afraid. Run with it. Let yourself transform. Let yourself fail a little because failure is something you do not something you are. Failure in one place leads you to success in another place. Let yourself live. Let yourself learn. Help yourself leap out of bed in the morning.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:40 pm
thestraycat wrote a review...

Hi there!
Straycat here for a review.

First, I really like your topic. It kinda reminds me of what I've been doing lately (I'm actually feeling the same way about the daily routine dilemma). It's really true that it gets boring when you're running your life on a threadmill. I like the way how you perceive things in a positive way, encouraging your readers to really appreciate their lives and learn how to reach self-actualization.

On the other hand, I'd like to point out some things that in my opinion, can be improved. For example, on your first paragraph:

"My creativity has felt shot down..."

I suggest you could use 'shut down' instead of what I mentioned earlier. In addition, it might be great if there is a consistency of verb tenses so the readers won't be confused of what you're saying.

When it comes to content, it can be helpful if you use concrete examples and try to use words or phrases that could introduce your next paragraph. Aside from that, it's well done.

Looking forward for more.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:47 pm
fraey wrote a review...

Hello there.

I wanted to pop by and give you a quick review of this work of yours.

First off, the topic is an interesting one and something that is certainly relatable to a large section of the current population. Your example of a standard day seems like a decent place to start when describing how life can feel boring, especially if school/work is making you so very busy. My own school has definitely kept me inside and working on assignments for hours on end, which certainly puts a damper on creative ideas.

Content-wise, I think this falls a little short being called an actual article, rather than even an "Other" work, as this isn't very fact-filled. That's fine, but I would be interested in seeing some statistics or even the results of quizzes or studies in finding out where the feeling of inadequacy comes from in the first place. Maybe then, researchers can point out the issues in how people are currently living in this society and then apply ways of breaking that failure stigma.

One issue I have with this work is that the tenses are a little confusing to me. The first true paragraph when you're describing how you've been struggling is written in present tense, but then there is a single occurrence of past tense in the next section, with the rest entirely in present again. I think to have a better transition during those paragraphs, you should change the first entirely to the past tense so that you can better compare your thinking and feelings.

Overall, I think this is a good sentiment to spread across platforms, but I think even reading someone's personal experience can seem tough to some people. There are still those that feel inadequate reading others' stories about how they themselves struggled but then got better. It's a hard thing, dealing with self-esteem and self-doubt. Here's to hoping it gets better someday.

Thank you for your work
- concord

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:32 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...

Hi there!
I. LOVE. THIS! It is soo inspiring and so true! This piece speaks out right into the heart of the reader, and it makes them want to do better. I see nothing wrong with this piece. I am going to point out that in my mind, the middle paragraph is the one that speaks out the strongest. That is just me, I do know that it will be different for every reader. The very last paragraph is also very strong. I love this sentence:
"If change is knocking at your door, do not be afraid. Run with it. Let yourself transform."
So very true!!

Thank you for writing this and putting this out there! It will help me a lot.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:10 pm
RowenaLynn says...

This is awesome!

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm
BreBolden says...

I love it

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm
BreBolden says...

I love it

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm
BreBolden says...

I love it

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:23 pm

This is the reassurance I really needed right now, thank you for that! This is a very positive piece of self-reflection that I think is pretty hard to come by nowadays. Congratulations!

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.