z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Mother- A short

by mawpah


Mother:

Mother, must we stay in this place forever? It is terribly dark”

“No, child. Do you wish to see what is about you?”

“Please mother, for the dark is ever so cold”

From the fingertips of the goddess came a small flame, the size of a candle. It illuminated the face of a beautiful woman, with a small boy clinging close to her legs. The small boy looked up at the brilliant flame in awe, for he was seeing light for the very first time.

“Child, this is light, and this is also life. It will be your guide through the darkness”

“But mother, the fire looks so frail and weak compared to the dark around us”

The goddess smiled “This is true little one.” The goddess knelt down and brought the flame just in front of the child. “Life is but a fleeting flame, and there is nothing we can do to halt its progress. Just like a flame, it burns brilliantly in the beginning,” The light sparkled brilliantly in her hand, captivating the boy in its light “then it begins to fade,” The light flickered and weakened in her hands. “And finally it extinguishes.” She said as she smothered the flame between her fingers

“Ah! No! The light!” Cried the child, with tears running down his face

“Cry not child,” said the goddess as she brushed aside the boy's’ tears with her fingertips.

“You see, all of us will experience darkness, and we must learn to conquer it. For the darkness holds nothing that your inner light cannot banish. Fear not what hides in the dark, fear the dark that hides within the light.” The goddess pointed towards the sky and suddenly a great light shone out from the furthest debts of the darkness. The light revealed the place on which the pair stood. They stood upon a flat plain of grass that seemed to go off in every direction, forever.

The child looked around and up at the blue sky above him. “Mother, will the light stay with me forever?”

The goddess gazed upwards at the blue sky. “I’m sorry child, but with light there must come dark, or the light would grow too large and engulf itself. Worry not though, for the darkness can also bring about life and beauty” The sky changed to black and millions of tiny lights filled the sky, and a great full moon shone out in stark contrast to the night sky.

“See child, there is nothing to fear in the night.”

“You’re right, but isn’t there more to this place than light and dark? Is it truly just you and I?”

“There are many more of you, child. You are but one flame in the great fire, but do not let that that deter you. Though there will be many, you can make your inner light shine brightest of all. You can change the world, or let the world pass you by. That is your choice alone my child. Now, you will experience a great many things when you depart my side. There will be love, hate, jealously, happiness, and so much more. Then one day, when you are ready, you will join me back at my side and it will start all anew.”

The child looked up at the goddess, his eyes full of curiosity and wonder. “O-Okay mother, I think I’m ready to go. Will it be dark?”

The goddess bent down and kissed the child’s forehead. “Yes, but only for a moment. Now goodbye child and may you bring light to those who have fallen to the dark.” Whispered the goddess as the boy disappeared before her, leaving the goddess alone and in the dark.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 256
Reviews: 37

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:28 pm
View Likes
wickedlygoodwriter wrote a review...



Hello! Very good job! i liked the overall message and how you made it kind of like a mother and son. you really capture so much emotion in such few words. i liked your dialogue and how closely you followed each character and their personality. you really gave that innocence and fear of the child and the purity and motherhood of the goddess. it was very deep and one of the few "spiritual" stories that i really enjoyed! keep up the good work! cant wait to see more!




mawpah says...


Thank you!



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 7350
Reviews: 131

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:57 am
View Likes
chancesnchanges wrote a review...



Hi! there mawpah :)

This reminds me of the saying “One can never know happiness without sadness.” It suddenly popped in my mind. Like in here “You won't fully appreciate the light, if you didn't experience being in the dark.” Those clashing ideas give balance to our perspective in life. Your piece has so much depth, I might not fully understood the message but it sure did taught a lesson about life.

Keep going :)

> Cha




mawpah says...


Thank you for the review! Yeah, it is those clashing forces that really helped make the story come together. I wouldn't say their is a completely fixed message to it, rather its more what you take from it. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)



User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 610
Reviews: 89

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:33 am
View Likes
Annaclare wrote a review...






mawpah says...


Thank you so much for the great review! I'm glad it all came across well, I was worried that people might not get the message behind it. I really had a lot of fun writing this, it was one of those moments where the story almost seems to write itself as it comes together. Thank you again for your input and it's always good to be nitpicky. I'd rather someone tell me my mistakes so no worries on that end. :)



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 am
Willard says...



Please remove your full name from this.




mawpah says...


My bad, I didn't even notice I left it in.



Willard says...


It's okay ;)



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 269
Reviews: 9

Donate


How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane