z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A 2015 night's tweet

by masterofqwerty


A 2015 night’s tweet

Posted on Dec. 18, 2015

Theseus the duke:

Everyone! Marrying @Hippolyta in four days, everyone is invited! @Bottom, you and your group will put on a play for us!

Posted on Dec. 18, 2015

Egeus:

My daughter is supposed to be married to @Demetrius, but only loves @Lysander. Plz help Theseus!

Posted on Dec. 18, 2015

Theseus the duke:

Yet again a public announcement, @Hermia! You must marry @Demetrius or be kicked out of twitter!

Private chat @Lysander->@Hermia

Lysander:

@Hermia you must come with me to the forest! There we’ll be safe!

Hermia:

Lol, this is @Helena. I’ll go tell @Hermia your message. Hey, you think you can set up @Demetrius with me?

Lysander:

Who’s that?

Private chat @Helena->@Demetrius

Helena:

@Demetrius, @Lysander and @Hermia are sneaking into the woods. You must follow them!

Demetrius:

I’m on it.

Helena:

Wait for me!

Posted on Dec. 19, 2015

Oberon:

Time to play dirty. @Titanicfairy Won’t let me have her orphan as my page, and now she want’s to stay until the wedding!!!!! #outrageous #Thekidisntherson #Billie Jean

Titania:

That’s not my username, @Obese king!!!!!!

Private chat @Oberon->@Robin the puck

Oberon:

@Robin the puck She’s insulted me for the last time! Get me the cupid’s flower, and there will be rewards.

Robin Goodfellow:

You got it!

Oberon:

That man over there, his username is @Demetrius. Anoint the flower to his eyes when he falls asleep. If you forget, he has the girl chasing behind him.

Robin Goodfellow:

It’s as good as done!

Private chat @Lysander->@Hermia

Lysander:

Isn’t it nice to be able to just relax?

Hermia:

All this running is making me tired. Can’t we just like, lie down and look at our phones or something?

Lysander:

I might just hit the hay.

Posted on Dec. 20, 2015

Robin Goodfellow:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Just made it so that @Demetrius will have to love @Helena! #itshilarious

Oberon:

Same with @Titanicfairy, so that she’ll love an animal!!!!!!! It’s Awesome!!!

Posted on Dec. 20, 2015

Bottom:

Rehearsing our play, when suddenly now my head is a donkey’s and a fairy queen loves me! What the crud?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? #confused

Helena:

@Lysander is chasing after me, saying that he loves me! What a cruel joke!!!!

Private chat @Demetrius->@Hermia

Hermia:

GO AWAY! YOU MURDERED LYSANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demetrius:

You know me, @Hermia, I would never kill someone! You’re the one that’s murdering our love!

Hermia:

There is no love between us!!

Posted on Dec. 20, 2015

Robin Goodfellow:

I think that I accidentally gave @Lysander the potion, so now he loves @Helena. I’ll go fix that. #oops

Posted on Dec. 21, 2015

Helena:

Why!? Now Demetrius claims he loves me, but I know that neither of them are being true? Now they’re fighting over who loves me more! This is cruel!

Private chat @Hermia->@Helena

Hermia:

Hey there @Helena!

Helena:

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME HERMIA!?!?!? THIS IS UNNECESSARILY CRUEL! YOU THREE ARE THE WORST, TAKING ADVANTAGE OF MY FEELINGS FOR DEMETRIUS!

Hermia:

What are you saying? I would never–

Helena:

Hey what’s this mist? And why am I feeling so sleepy…

Posted on Dec. 22, 2015

Oberon:

Ughh, @Robin the puck, you made so many mistakes. Now I have to transform @Bottom back to a human, and awake @Titania. Here comes @BigBoyTheseus!

Theseus:

What is this? Me, @Hippolyta, and @Egeus come to see four people, which are the exact people I needed to tweet.

Lysander:

@BigBoyTheseus, I love Helena, and Lysander loves Hermia. We can’t marry the other girl, lest we become sorrowful.

Egeus:

Even though stuff is a lot more complicated than that, I say we let them. But for now, off to the wedding!!

Bottom:

Now it is time for a play about love through a wall!

Posted Dec. 22, 2015, 9:00 PM

Robin Goodfellow:

Well, that play was weird. It’s as weird as this tweet. So maybe, it’s just a tweet… #mindblown


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:37 am
Pompadour wrote a review...



Hi! Pomp here for a quick review!

I'm supposed to be dissecting this same play for a test tomorrow, I'll have you know. So I'm tackling this as a revision of sorts (forgive me if I ramble).

I guess the one thing that bothered me a bit about this was that it's pretty fast and while it gives you a general gist of what the actual play was about, I think it could've been slightly more of a comical/overblown representation of the real thing. It wasn't as engaging as it could be, and for someone who's never read the play/seen it on-stage or on-screen before, it might prove a bit difficult to understand and keep up with.

I was also a tad disappointed that the mechanicals' play-within-the-play was only worthy of one tweet; I mean, it was it was one of the highlights of the play--pure comedic /gold/--as well as Shakespeare jibing at the country bumpkins for their lack of theatrical talent, o'course. because he's clever that way. :P The to-and-fro between the audience and the play was also one of the parts that would've incredible in tweet form, like when Theseus says in the last act that Moonshine and Lion are left to bury the dead (and Demetrius adds that the wall is, too). Seeing Bottom's 'LOL, nu wey, wall is down' response to that would've been epic.

''Now it's time for a play about love through a wall'' is also a bit random, seeing as I think Bottom would've been more ... verbose about what exactly they hope to do, and I somehow picture him tagging Quince and Crew with the utmost gusto until he runs out of space for characters.... >.>

Anywhoo, these are all suggestions--just some parts of the play that I'd've killed to see in tweet form. Another thing--it'd be nice if subtle references were made, like a character randomly asking, ''how on earth is there wi-fi in a forest?'' Or, you know, you could even put a modern twist on it and have them meet up in actual places, which I think would be an immense lot of fun to read about.

I missed the hilarious love-potion induced romance between Titania and Bottom and Hermia and Helena's quarrel--''and though she be but little, she is fierce'' is one of my favouritest lines evur--was lacking. When Helena questions what the mist is, it's a tad too blatant, and it also cuts the argument short. Nuuuu. </3 OH, and another thing:

THE DUEL WHERE IS THE DUEL THAT NEVER REALLY HAPPENED BUT ANYWAY THINGS WERE SO DRAMATIC AND FUNNY DURING THAT PARTICULAR PORTION OF THE PLAY--uhm.

So, yes. I'd like to add that to the list-of-things-I'd-like-to-see-in-tweet-form please.

Quick nitpick: Twitter-Bottom says, ''my head is a donkey's'', but in the play he was never aware of this! It was actually a very interesting form of dramatic irony, and the amount of puns he obliviously made was funny, too. (''You see an ass-head of your own, do you?'' XDD)


I did like the ending, but, like most of the piece, it was a little abrupt. I'm aware this isn't meant to be a serious piece, but even if it's a crash-course of what happened in MSND, it doesn't have the entirety of the elements. Besides that--I liked it! It would've been nice to see the contrast between language used between the classes, like Theseus and Oberon/the rest of the Athenian higher-ups being absolute snobs and typing things out properly, and with Hermia occasionally swearing (*gasp* how unladylike!), while Bottom/the mechanicals use an inordinate amount of chatspeak. I dunno. I think it would've been representative of Shakespeare's pattern throughout the play, but I was quite fond of this piece regardless!

Overall, this was lovely! A very late welcome to YWS and I'd like to see more of your work soon~

Keep writing! Keep it up! PM me if you have any questions~

Cheers

~Pomp c:




User avatar


Points: 579
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:01 am
jellyfish91 wrote a review...



Let me just start by saying that I found the tweets absolutely hilarious! I've seen the play and was mentally comparing the two and it was extremely entertaining. My only piece of advice would be to make the tweets more Shakespearean, although I understand why you made the tweets the way you did. I loved reading the tweets and they made my day. My favorite thing was "#thekidisntherson # Billie Jean", I laughed so hard when I read that. Great job with the tweets, they were amazeballs!





Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.
— Mark Twain