17?

by mariannne

Here I stand on the eve of my birthday. Finally, I'm about to rise up to the ripe age of...17? Who ever heard of one being excited about that age? It follows the year of attaining a license, yet rests before the year when one is officially determined an adult by society. No sepcial priviledges come along with it unless you count the whole r-rated movie thing, but face it, who has really been denied entrance to a film of that rating when they were sixteen? I know I haven't, therefore I see no point in rejoicing over this age boost.

On the other hand, one could view it as being a year closer to becoming an adult. I can only imagine the feelings I will experience once I reach that. One year closer to being able to contribute to society. Sure the average teen contributes to society, but atleast at eighteen, your voice has a bit more of an impact. I guess this year will be full of anticipation, but I'm willing to suffer through it and enjoy.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:37 am
lexy says...

And turning 18 means???
Bills
Paying tax
A lot more work
Adult responsibilities.

The advantages? You can drink legally.
Hello!? Kids have been drinking since they were 13!!!!!

*sighs*

Coming of age sucks.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:43 pm
rosethorn wrote a review...

You are right about it. I felt somewhat cheated when I turned 17. Even 18 isn't much better. Two days after my 18th birthday, I stepped forward to join the CASA program (for guardian ad litems), thinking I'd be accepted. But I was told their age requirement was 21 all along. Go figure.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:07 pm
backgroundbob wrote a review...

I rejoiced because it was the last year to do impressive things without people figuring it was just normal. After all, when you're an adult, everyone thinks your achievements are just ordinary :) when you're a kid, they seem pretty advanced.

I made use of it; these days, they consider me a prodigy without me really having to be prodigous :P

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13