z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

soft light and big hearts//vignette. {edited}

by manilla


"How long it take you to make this?" you ask, every other word slipping away from your mouth. In front of you is a mansion, made of every soft accessory in the house. In front of you is your mansion inside of your home. 

"Not too long," she grins. "Just come on in."

You're guided to underneath the pillow fort, the sheet lifted up by stacked chairs that are lined with golden fairy lights. Covering the floor are pillows - Soft pillows, sequin pillows, throw pillows, silk pillows. Lining the chairs are more pillows, blankets, and the occasional stuffed animal. The lights are low, and they twinkle in the corner of your eye as you crawl to the center of the pillow fort. Is that the scent of hot chocolate and marshmallows not too far off? Is that cinnamon, nutmeg, and swirled vanilla?

Her voice comes from behind you. "Ah, I forgot."

There's a click, a spinning, and piano begins to play. A voice begins to sing.

"Wise men say only fools rush in."

In the heart of the pillow fort is a folded, fluffy blanket that you wrap around yourself, and an open thermo. You sip, and you realize your senses have not betrayed you, for this is the best hot cocoa you have tasted in your life. She's here now, right behind you, with the cassette player in her hand. You see her face, blushing a shade of pink; her smile, genuine and radiant like the girl she is. After you set down your thermo, she takes your warm hands and squeezes them tight.

"Do you like it?"

You nod, mesmerized. Every single word possible has been tucked away into your heart. 

Her sweater is made by you, each stitch of red and white one made with tender care, a sweater that took hours to do because you wanted to get it just right for her. She is your other half, a girl that stands beside you no matter what you do. 

You feel yarn against your skin, the one from her sweater. She pulls you into a hug as the song finishes.

"But I can't help falling in love with you."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:32 pm
View Likes
Kazumi wrote a review...



Flash fiction and second-person? Hey come on man you don't copy other people's styles >:((

Hi manilla, here's the review I promised.

This story is so interesting to me because it has two stylistic choices of mine in prose fiction: flash fiction and the 2nd-person POV. I probably have like 3, probably 4 second-person flash fiction stories out so far, so it's a thing of mine already and one reason why I was so attracted to this short.

The choice to use flash fiction (whether it was thought about deeply or just thrown in for fun) has some interesting effects on this one. I don't claim to be an expert on flash fiction, but being an almost flashfic-only writer, I just know for sure that this story harnesses the strengths of the short short story format. For one, the small word count imbibes the narrative with a strong energy that sticks all throughout the story and a strong punch at the end, which are two things longer formats can't achieve.

I don't know about you, but I definitely feel this way about novels and shorts. In novels, I feel there are like some parts in the narrative that become less intense, and in the end I don't feel as strong an impact. But I feel different in short stories, where all throughout it feels unrelentingly intense and the ending feels like it has such a strong punch.

For me, flash fiction evokes those feelings, but to a more extreme degree. This story plays on those two strengths of flash fiction. Because the story has been rendered so short, it has little (if not zero) downtime. And because it's so consistently sweet and fluffy all throughout, the story ends with a nice, heartwarming punch. Had this been extended, the momentum of the story may have been slowed, it may have gotten less fun at some parts, and the ending may have gotten weaker.

On the use of second-person, I'm not an expert on it either, really. But I guess one thing that it does for this story is it involves the reader in an unconventional way. Third person stories may feel a little bit detached, and sure, first person stories do involve the reader somehow. But the second person, it's very uniquely direct to the reader. It's jabbing. Unlike the first person which feels like you slipping into the skin of the character, this story pushes the character into you. And it just feels so fresh, you feel me?

On the flipside, I do have some minor complaints on the story. Don't get me wrong, I think this story is definitely competent as it is, but these are the kinks I just want to talk about.

First, the general-ness of this piece is a double-edged sword for me. The story isn't really specific to be honest. We don't know how old the characters are, we don't know the context that happened before this romantic exchange, and it's possible to read this as a lesbian romance just as well as a straight one!

It helps because many people who have experienced romance can easily identify with it. The gays, the straights, young people, old people, longtime lovers, fresh couples, all that fancy stuff. Anyone can just slip into the skin of this story, and that's cool. Don't listen to people who say genericness in a story is bad, I think it really does help here.

However, it hurts because for people who haven't experienced romantic relationships (like myself) and who hate fluff because it may feel rather empty.

The other weird kink is how the song is written here. I just want to say, the song you chose is such a great song choice. It's so mellow, it's so simple, it's so iconic and timeless, it's just so sweet like honey to listen to. And as someone who's listened to these smooth baritones of Presley so much, it hits me so hard every time.

The impact of the great song choice can made even greater by splitting these song lines according to the pauses in the actual song. Like you know, Presley pauses briefly in the parts between "Wise men say" and "only fools rush in." If you can reflect those subtleties in the original song in some way like this:

"Wise men say...

...only fools, rush in"

then the song lines (especially the ending!) will be more reminiscent with the original that people know and love, and thus become more evocative.

That is, unless you wrote this with an alternative cover of Can't Help Falling In Love in mind. But the OG Presley version is what everyone knows, so might as well go with that.

In conclusion, soft light and big hearts//vignette. is fluff. Some people might like it. Some might not. But as it is, for sure it is very competent fluff. Despite some few weird kinks, it is a damn good version of itself that utilizes the strengths of flash fiction and the second-person POV to make itself a little more than just fluff.

***

Anyway that's the end of the review. It's been a long, long while since I actually did one on any form of literature really (last one was probably in August last year oof), so I apologize if it fell short of the quality you'd expect from me. Let me know if it helped or if you got any questions. I'd be happy to chat about it a little more, because it's been a pleasure reading and reviewing this so far.


Thanks for reading this review!

-Kazumi

(BTW:

Many thanks too for reading and giving my latest 2nd-person flashfic a review. It's also been a pleasure reading it. Like, I got a little bit heartwarmed at that part about the "essence of realism" in my work. I'll take your kind comments to heart as I revise it later on yaaaay)




manilla says...


I totally stole your style. Thanks for the review!



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm
View Likes
Kazumi says...



It has a few weird kinks in there but there's much to like about this lil baby <3

Remind me if I forget to review this one by tomorrow, I want to say things about it owo




manilla says...


"few weird kinks"
Man, this could go places lol



manilla says...


oml sorry i didn't mean it like that jjjhhhhhh



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:22 am
View Likes
Holysocks wrote a review...



Hey there! Care for a review?

Oh man, the setting in this is absolutely beautiful. I would live in that blanket fort forever. I can certainly relate to how the character feels in this- I would be in absolute bliss, especially at the thought that someone cared about me, and knew me enough to do something like this for me!

Is that cinnamon, nutmeg, and to top off that all, is this love?


I thought that it was a little odd how fast things went from hot chocolate to love. I mean, those are wonderful sort of things, and hot chocolate if amazing, but it just seemed like an odd sort of jump. Personally, the times when I think most of "wow I love this guy" (towards my bf) is when he says something that makes me feel so at home with him, or when we talk about something difficult, and I'm reminded how thankful I am to have someone that communicates well with me, respects me, and genuinely cares for me. So I guess here it just felt a little flat to me? Like- especially if it's in the "falling in love" stage, it just kinda feels like the character is falling in love with the other character for more superficial reasons? If that makes sense. But that's just my thoughts!

I guess that kinda brings us to the other thing I wanted to mention, which was that I feel like all there was was basically a setting. We don't get to know who the MC is falling in love with, and we don't even get to know the MC really. So it makes it hard for us to kinda feel those gushy feels that you want people to feel when they're reading a love story! My advice for this is to maybe just put a little more in this- it doesn't even have to be much longer, just maybe have the characters interact a little more, or maybe there's a letter or something for the MC from the love interest? Just something to give us a better image into what the characters are like a little more? Just a suggestion, in any case!

I also thought the song lyrics were a nice touch! But at the same time, I felt like having the story end on the song lyrics, made them a bit too much of... like the main thing? That could just be me, but it just kinda felt like the song was more of a crutch at the end- if that makes sense? I still really liked the song in it, but maybe if the story ended on a different note, written by you, it would have more of an impact. Because when the song is the last thing we read, the song is the last thing we think of- and that's ultimately someone else's work. So I feel like it would make more sense if people thought of something you wrote after? Sorry for rambling! XD It's hard to explain my thoughts right now.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool story! Keep it up! C:

-Holysocks




manilla says...


Thanks! Yeah, some of these ties weren't really well pulled together being a vignette, but I'll take your advice into consideration next time.



User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 548
Reviews: 57

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 am
View Likes
1nspire says...



This is so cute! I love that you used second person, which is rare, but really makes this story so much sweeter. I love the way that the characters don't have names and that specific details are kept a little vague, this really allows the reader to use their imagination and picture this story in whatever way makes them happy.

I have one minor suggestion, which is just in the first quote, I believe it should read "How long did it take you to make this?" Aside from that, this story is really beautiful.

I loved how easy it was to imagine this story, especially with all the details you included. Not going to lie, I'm craving some of that hot chocolate right now. I absolutely love the premise, and right now I want nothing more than to curl up with pillows and blankets and music. I might just have to do this for a certain someone...

Enough about me though; Thank you so much for sharing this piece, amazing work.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some hot chocolate to make...

Have a great day!




manilla says...


Thanks! I hope the hot chocolate tasted good <3



User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 548
Reviews: 57

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:29 am
View Likes
1nspire wrote a review...



This is so cute! I love that you used second person, which is rare, but really makes this story so much sweeter. I love the way that the characters don't have names and that specific details are kept a little vague, this really allows the reader to use their imagination and picture this story in whatever way makes them happy.

I have one minor suggestion, which is just in the first quote, I believe it should read "How long did it take you to make this?" Aside from that, this story is really beautiful.

I loved how easy it was to imagine this story, especially with all the details you included. Not going to lie, I'm craving some of that hot chocolate right now. I absolutely love the premise, and right now I want nothing more than to curl up with pillows and blankets and music. I might just have to do this for a certain someone...

Enough about me though; Thank you so much for sharing this piece, amazing work.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some hot chocolate to make...

Have a great day!




User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 121

Donate
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 pm
manilla says...



Might continue this/edit heavily





There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket