z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

生日快乐-"Happy Birthday" - 1

by manilla


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

An experimental piece, mostly for practice on effective, realistic dialogue. Please, if you can, correct the Chinese not based on the translation. (I want to keep my ancestors from rolling in their graves!)  

--

中文:

“跳一下,哭一下。没有妈妈,没有爸爸,但是他们都死了。”

“小娘娘*,起来把。早上的太阳再晒,请你看财红。红色到紫色是呢的伤心的歌。

生日快乐,小娘娘*。这是你的礼物。

--

English:

"Jump a second, cry a second. There's no mother, there's no father, because they have died."

"Little empress, get up now. The morning sun is shining, please look at the rainbow. Red to purple is your heartbroken song."

”Happy birthday, little empress. This is your gift.“

--

"Crap, there's so much blood. Look at it."

The flashlight shines blankly on the crushed body underneath the giant stone brick. 

-"Go figure." 

"Is that her, underneath?"

-"...Potentially."

"I thought she'd be alive!"

-"She's been dead for how long, now? Supposedly?"

"Hours."

-"Wrong, days."

"Why doesn't it smell, then?"

-"Because it's freezing cold, you damned idiot!" 

The two men stop and stare at the dainty foot that sticks out. 

"Oh God, how old is she? Please tell me she was at least-"

-"Ten."

"Tell me why were we picked to go search the ruins of this effing palace?"

-"It's not a ruin. Most other things are intact."

"Let's come back to the girl later. There's other things to explore."

Picking up their tools, the two walk out of the great hall to the left wing of the palace. 

-"Stop hyperventilating like a kid, rookie."

"You do this for fun!?"

-"Who the hell would?"

Another uncomfortable silence passes.

"Look, there was a party here. Look at the tables of empty plates. Is that a cake?"

-"You're not having some. It's probably tainted."

"Well, let's solve this mission, then! Who murdered the girl?"

--

Translation Notes:

"娘娘” Doesn't exactly have a very good English equivalent, so I tried the best I could.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 3262
Reviews: 81

Donate
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:07 am
View Likes
Lael wrote a review...



Although I basically can't read Chinese characters (sorry, ancestors!), I do know some historical-related words because of dramas. xD What intrigued me was that when I initially saw the word empress, I kind of automatically assumed an empress regnant (which really didn't happen much in Chinese history, so I don't know why I did). However, turns out the characters was niang niang. So she's a child empress consort then?

Since I'm not proficient in titles of the Imperial court or anything like that, I wasn't sure, but in that case, although niang niang is the way to address her as "Your Highness" and such, would huanghou sound better there?

(If I got that totally wrong and she's supposed to be a ruling empress, then I would suggest 女皇 or even 陛下, since I think niang niang is for the main wife of the emperor.)

As for the rest of the Chinese, like I said before, I don't know how to write in the script, so I can't say much about that. :(

On to the actual content, I was a little confused because it's marked as a Novel/Chapter, but only has lines of dialogue. I looked back at the top and reread your author's note, so I understand now. I felt that the dialogue was generally smooth and flowed naturally. However, the speech seems very modern for a Chinese empire. Is this a self-imagined Chinese setting in the future? (Would that explain the presence of cake, besides it being her birthday? Birthday cake that I'm imagining in my head is definitely a Western custom brought over to Asia in recent history.)

Just my honest thoughts! I hope that my roundabout rambling helped somehow, since they weren't meant to be harsh in any way. I adore anything related to the Chinese language and Chinese history. I'll try to look at your Part 2 as soon as I can. :) Happy writing!




manilla says...


This is really late, but thanks for the (chinese-ish) review. The empire is yes, set in modern history, so the setting would be based off of history. I've heard niangniang be used as some form of an insult, so I thought it would work here.



User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:33 am
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hi manilla! I was snooping around the green room today and was thoroughly intrigued by your piece. :)

The flashlight shines blankly on the crushed body underneath the giant stone brick.

I know you're mostly focusing on the dialogue here, so you need not be overly heavy on the description--that's fantastic, but I do think that this little bit could be stronger. Still brief, but packing more of a punch, if that makes sense? Since it's one of a few places without dialogue make it work in your favor. :)

"I thought she'd be alive!"

-"She's been dead for how long, now? Supposedly?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sort of imagining an eye roll here--she's crushed under a stone and you thought she'd be alive? (If that's not what you're getting at, please feel free to ignore me!) I think a little insertion of "Come on" or something akin to that at the beginning of the second line could help clarify the feeling of exasperation.

"Tell me why were we picked to go search the ruins of this effing palace?"

-"It's not a ruin. Most other things are intact."

"Let's come back to the girl later. There's other things to explore."

This part confuses me a bit plot-wise. I assumed that these two were called in for investigation of the death--why would they "explore" the palace? Are they searching for evidence? Wouldn't the girl be the most important thing here?? Not questions you have to answer all at once, just some things to consider or clarify. :)

Picking up their tools, the two walk out of the great hall to the left wing of the palace.

Ahhh, sorry for picking on your descriptor line again! But "tools" is pretty vague, and it's a little hard to tell what things they might be doing. Maybe list one specific tool? If it works for your story.

"Well, let's solve this mission, then! Who murdered the girl?"

For some reason, "mission" feels more formal than they've been talking so far. I'd expect a word more like "case" in this situation, so it seems a little out of place.

I really loved your story! I don't think I've really read anything with quite this style--sort of minimalist? But you show a lot through the dialogue, especially the relationship between the two characters. We don't even know their names, anything about them, and yet we have a sense of their characters. That's super neat!! :D

I also liked the Chinese bit at the beginning, because I think it set a really interesting gone for the whole piece. You just did a really nice job with this all around.

-Q




manilla says...


Thanks!



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 am
View Likes
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hey, manilla! Rain here for a review. Since this piece is pretty short, I'll do my best to review everything I can! (However, I'm completely unfamiliar with Chinese, unfortunately, so I'll be unable to help in that area).

What first drew me in was the mystery aspect! I think it's quite interesting how you're taking this approach to a mystery story - the dialogue only - because I've never seen that before! Mysteries are usually described in a lot of detail, especially to get the readers thinking about all possible aspects of the case/murder. So I'm very interested to see how this mostly dialogue story will take it! Not to discourage you from dialogue only - I think it's very unique. Just want you to be aware of making sure the two men are speaking out everything that's necessary (any clues/hints).

The man with the dash next to his name seems very knowledgeable. I like how I can detect a bit of differentiation between the two men - which is especially crucial in a story like this where the only indicator is a dash or no dash (it can get super confusing for the reader). So I like how we have that bit of difference between the two characters.

-"She's been dead for how long, now? Supposedly?"

"Hours."

-"Wrong, days."


This confused me at first and sounded really weird (why would he ask only to provide the answer?) - until I realized that DashMan seems to be a mentor of sorts for the other guy (maybe?). With the use of "rookie" and a more commanding tone to DashMan, this became clearer for me. Still, something to think about.

Curious about how DashMan knows the girl is ten, though. Was he provided details beforehand? Even if the other guys responds "Oh yeah, [insert info where he recalls where he previously heard it]", that would be better. Because otherwise it just seems a bit unrealistic.

Okay, I think I'm going to leave it at that! I love the dialogue aspect of novels myself, so I'm really interested in reading more of this! Let me know if you post more and I'd be happy to review! :)

~ EternalRain




manilla says...


Thanks for the review! The question Dash Man was asking the "rookie" was rhetoric (to himself), as to test his knowledge.




*CLUCKING INTENSIFIES*
— Snoink