Who Are You?

by manilla

This is a fanwork for a show whose fandom I'm involved in. This was done on IbisPaintX (free version) in 1h30, just a day or two ago. Constructive feedback is appreciated.

zc927 says...

Hey :)

I really like the effect you incorporated into this piece! I would work on a few things:

- Skin Tone: I know that you are trying to give an effect of darkness, but the skin tone appears very gray which causes your character to loose liveliness. This could definitely be because you shaded with black- shading with pure black or very cool gray will cause the skin tone to look more dead.

-Shading: It's unclear where the lightsource is, the shading seems kind of ambiguous? Light seems to come from the front if you look at the neck, but the shading on the face alludes to light coming from both sides.

-Eyes: You put a lot of care into adding detail into the nose and mouth, but the eyes are more lackluster. I would add more shading to the whites of the eyes, and outline the iris is a darker green rather than a solid black.

The overall effect is really good! I might just be nitpicking at this point...
Good job :)

zc927 wrote a review...

Hey :)

Good job :)

LadyBug wrote a review...

Hello Manilla! I'm here to review your art piece. I usually review novels, so I don't know how well I'll do, but I hope I can help!

THINGS I LIK:

You managed to capture what looks like an inquisitive, curious, almost encapsulated gaze, which makes me wonder what's going on behind the viewpoint, and it correlates so well with the title of this piece.

I like the white lines that almost seem too make the image blur in and out of focus, that's quite creative!

The detail of color and shading gives it such a deep feel!

THINGS THAT I THINK COULD BE IMPROVED

Things could be better blended or blurred, a few colors on her hair feel harsh against the softness of this artwork, and threw me off for a second.

The shading feels scattered and random. When I draw, I tend to visualize a light source, ie the corner or in front of her, to help give me an idea for proper shading.

OVERALL

The scheme was so pretty and it's so pleasing to look at, well done, you're very talented!

Jade

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi there, @manilla! I'm here to review your work.

I admit that I've never reviewed artwork before, but I wanted to try analyzing something new. I apologize if my advice isn't all that helpful.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the fandom in question was Hetalia, since the character looks vaguely familiar and I know you're a fan of it. :) Since you didn't include the character's name, I decided to play detective and look up a Hetalia character with a flower in her hair. If what I saw is right, I think you drew Hungary? If it is Hungary, you did a great job drawing her! I was able to recognize her right away when I saw the picture of her in the anime.

I don't remember much from when I watched the show years ago, but I think the background you chose is a perfect match for her. It just has a very peaceful air to it, especially when complimented by the flower in her hair.

Another thing I love about this drawing is the way you drew her hair. I love how you didn't stick to a single shade of brown, instead coloring them in slightly different shades. It's a great way to add more depth to your artwork. The eyes and flower are also spectacular - you added so much detail!

The white lines were also pretty cool. The combination of them and the background adds a surreal touch to the drawing that I haven't really seen done before.

Criticism wise, I agree with the comment that @whatchamacallit made in their review about the highlighting. The only other two things I can think of is changing the eyebrows and the shape of the mouth. Both are those are definitely personal preference. I feel like darker eyebrows would work better with how you drew the hair. Different shades of brown might also work. You put so much detail into the hair to the point where I could imagine individual strands, but the eyebrows don't share the same detail.

As for the mouth, I feel like it's a weird position for it to be in. I can't draw lips as well as you and my teeth are usually just a few black lines on a white background, but something just feels...off about the way the mouth is open. It's not really a smile, a frown or even that much of a neutral expression - it's like she wants to say something but doesn't know what.

But, overall, I really love this fanart! I may not be a fan of Hetalia anymore, but you have to let me know if it's on Tumblr or when you're posting it - I definitely need to reblog this onto my blog.

manilla says...

(Yes it is Hetalia Hungary :,) )
Thanks for the review! <3 Your feedback is helpful!

manilla says...

I actually realized I forgot to color the eyebrow, haha

manilla says...

Sorry for the excessive replies but that was what I wanted with the mouth - her emotions aren't set, but rather in question :)

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hello Manilla! I saw some art in the green room so I thought I'd stop by for a review!

I really love the colour scheme you chose, and the contrasting texture between the night sky and the girl. The tones you chose for her skin have a coolish nighttime feel and give the feeling of dark without actually darkening the colours. This means that she shows up really well against the sky and all her features are easily distinguishable. I also really like how she almost seems to be radiating light out into the night sky, it gives the piece an almost magical vibe. I also love the loose and informal feel the added white lines give it.

My main critique is that the shadows/highlights don't seem to be consistent with a single light source. Her left cheek is highlighted for example, but the right side of her nose is lighter than the left side. And from how her neck is highlighted, it seems like she's being lit straight on. I would just suggest trying to pick one angle for the light to come from and try to keep consistent with that. And to tie back to my earlier comment about the white lines, I would recommend figuring out which side of her face is highlighted and using more white on that side.

Other than that, I don't really have anything else to criticize! I'm not sure what fandom this is from or what character this is, but just as an objective sketch of a girl I think you've captured her facial expression really well!

I hope my review was helpful, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Keep making art!

whatchamacallit

manilla says...

Thanks for the review! I'm no good at shading, but this did help :)

What praise is more valuable than the praise of an intelligent servant?
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice