z

Young Writers Society


Violence

So Many Lost Ones

by manilla


Trigger warning - abuse, drug use. Possible Stockholm syndrome. Angsty NorFin with a side of angsty SuFin.

--

He’s gone.

My Tino, where has he gone?

The police find nothing of him.

I can’t find him.

He wasn’t there the last time I checked.

It’s like he disappeared into thin air.

--

Lukas fumbles for his wallet and pulls it out - A small fee must be paid for tacking up a missing poster to some of the lampposts on Lakeview Street. In his hand are the missing posters, and monotonously, he posts them to the pull and languidly covers them with clear masking tape.

It’s been twenty four hours. The police have found nothing. Lukas has found nothing.

Tears begin to burn in Lukas’s eyes as he moves down to the next lamppost, attracting unwanted gazes from passersby. Their eyes burn into his soul, as if questioning him, giving him pity he does not deserve.

--

If they can’t find you, I’ll find you.

This is not a wish - This is a promise.

I’ll stop anyone who gets in the way of you and me.

I know who stole you, who ripped you from my heart.

--

Post after post. Thought after thought. Lukas’s mind is wandering, wallowing in the deep of anguish. The void is pulling him down, and fast. Not only is Tino’s time limited, but his is, as well.

He couldn’t have taken his beloved for granted, not in their years of being together. No. No, way.

He takes the evening train home for dinner, in which he heats up perunamuusi, or mashed potatoes and gravy-covered meatballs. The Norwegian’s appetite is nonexistent, but he shoves the food down his mouth anyway. Tomorrow, he will stop waiting for Tino to come for him. Instead, he will go out in the open and look for clues himself.

--

“Look, Ber, I can explain!” Tino stammers, staring at the brute ahead of him. The lights have been shut off, and the blond feels his back pressing against the cold, chipped wall.

Berwald only takes a step closer to him, narrowing the fine gap between them.

Tino knows he shouldn’t have left Lukas after that fight in December. It was late at night, and honesty was the only thing that crept out from the dark. Savage, bitter, honesty. He begins scanning for things to use as a weapon - The glass lamp to his right on the bed stand, and a leather belt to his left on the bed itself. Both had been used before by Berwald; Tino knew from past experiences what to do.

One month of bliss was followed by another of pure torture. Tino couldn’t escape - He couldn’t get his thoughts together, and every time he tried to escape, he was beaten. Berwald was dark and haunting like the bruises that covered Tino’s lithe frame.

The Fin loved Lukas again, and it came to him that not only was he unlucky, but he was so, so, stupid. Tino braced himself as the belt came lashing down across his torso. How did Berwald know?

--

Berwald.

Tino chose Berwald over me.

That’s where I’m going.

Berwald’s house.

Answers lie there...At least, they have to.

--

Why Lukas chose not to give the police information he doesn’t understand himself. Perhaps he wanted to save some of the glory for himself, but that would prolong this...State. He had colored his hair night black and for once in many years, took off the cross pin in his hair. Lukas selected contacts that would tint his eyes an emerald green; Unnatural, unnerving. Surely it would attract attention, but it didn’t matter if Berwald noticed. He put on a tight-fitting Adidas tee, something he’d never wear on a normal day.

After spending more time customizing his look, he was out the door. After he put up the lampposts, there’d been no calls or texts to his number. He strolled out midday, appearing to look casual with the small pistol concealed in his right pant pocket. Lukas asked a local shopowner for a phonebook - Some business couldn’t be done online.

Lukas found Berwald’s address in no time - There was only one of him in town. He felt relieved that there were no thoughts of Tino plaguing him on their own, but a wave of guilt swept over him for not thinking of his love.

255 Karlazen Boulevard.

That was it, Lukas thought to himself.

--

Does he not live in his own home?

Is Tino far from here?

Where is he, where is he, where is he?

I’m such a fool for thinking it’d be this easy.

There are so many lost ones out there.

They were never recovered.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 am
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello hello!! Here to bring this out of the green room for you! :D

Is this really a novel chapter because it reads more like a short story. I think it could easily be expanded into a novel because this feels like a really intriguing plot. I love a good mystery and I love a good kidnapping story.

I also think it's really intriguing that this MC was also kidnapped by the person that has his friend (right?) and so he doesn't want to turn the guy in to get his friend because of the Stockholm Syndrome business and wants to do it himself. With that though, why is he putting up missing person posters if he wants to do this low-key and on his own? And why does he want to rescue his friend in the first place if he still has some emotional connection to the captor? Is he worried that by rescuing his friend he could be potentially putting himself in danger again by being in close proximity to this captor? Does he know the friend wants out of the situation? It almost sounds like he's trying to get revenge - the captor wanted the friend more than him so now he's going to take the friend away.

My biggest qualm was the structure. I love interesting structures and non-linear timelines. My guess is each visually different piece of text (the bold parts, italics parts, and regular parts) are intentional and each have a meaning and will illuminate a certain part of the story and eventually it will all piece together? If that's the case, 100% on board, do the thing. But, where you'll have to be careful is not overwhelming the reader with the differences so that the reader gets confused. I would either stick with one type of text per scene or have no more than one switch per scene just so the reader stays grounded in when.

Overall though I think it's a really intriguing concept and way of constructing the story! If you end up posting more of this, let me know because I'll keep reading! :) And let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 2061
Reviews: 54

Donate
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:47 am
View Likes
chhlovebooks wrote a review...



Hey, nice to see a fellow Hetalia fan on the site. Let's get right to the review, huh?

First off, I'll get into the positives. Lukas' reactions in the beginning are spot-on with his character- he is by nature rather monotonous and prone to heavy thoughts so his initial reactions are definitely a way he'd act. I'm also fond of your descriptions, as they really help the reader to get into how the characters are feeling. My favorite part is likely the bolded text, as it is deeply poetic in some places and add to the darkness of the piece. Your last lines really hit me, for example, as they were incredibly deep and real in nature.

Now on to the negatives. Let's cover what I found wrong story-wise first. To begin, your portrayal of Lukas in the latter half of this and of Berwald's whole character are really skewed. I know you are doing this to create a story, but while both characters are capable of great violence within the frame of war and political turmoil, as people they wouldn't act like this. Yes, Berwald is incredibly fascinated by Tino, but he is also supposed to be fairly gentle. Yes, Norway can be rather cold and cunning, but he isn't the sort to go out and ignore logic altogether. This piece is fine story-wise, but not with these characters. If you really want it to be about them, give me more reasoning why they are together, what drove Tino away, and why Berwald and Lukas are so quick to jump to violence. "Because I love you/ how dare you betray me" aren't answers that can be taken care of in a sentence or two and then make perfect sense. Secondly, you don't give context to whether or not these characters are immortal countries or mortal humans- if countries, they REALLY wouldn't act like this, as humans, who are bit more prone to irrationality, you would need to provide a lot more character development and background before I would be willing to believe that anything like this would occur. Third, your timeline needs a more solid mention- I had to read this a few times before I realized that a month has passed. I actually thought this all took a place in a day, and that the italics was a flashback- that Tino has been missing a month and that Lukas was only going to the police and going to find Tino now. I suggest mentioning how long it has been in the part where Lukas is wondering why he hasn't gone to the police with the new info so as to make your timeline a bit more clear.

You also have a number of spelling issues which I'll get into below chronologically.

"he posts them to the pull" It should be pole.

"No, way." The comma is unnecessary.

"Lukas selected contacts that would tint his eyes an emerald green; Unnatural, unnerving. " No capital letter in unnatural.

" After he put up the lampposts, " He put up posters, not lampposts.

"He strolled out midday," I would suggest 'at midday'.


Overall, this could use some work. You have some solid descriptions and an interesting concept, but the execution of your idea seems rushed and could definitely benefit from a bit more time and effort. It isn't bad, but I think that you have the potential to do a lot better.

Have a nice day! ^v^




manilla says...


Thanks for the review! I'll really look into this and define more things in the next chapters.



manilla says...


But I'm a little confused on how Lukas is acting irrationally, other than he didn't tell the police (which I fixed)



chhlovebooks says...


I know you do it for story and all, but usually hunting your lover's kidnapper down with a gun in your pocket to possibly murder them is more than a little bit extreme, especially for a character known for being calm and collected. Vigilante behavior, for a good cause or not, is still likely to get you arrested.



manilla says...


Hmm, thanks.




If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman