A Traffic Accident

by malachitear

It's really short, but okay.

“Screech!” The ear-splitting sound of mutilated metal and shattering glass reverberated throughout the estate, causing anyone within a few miles of the road to turn instinctively towards the source of the din. I whipped around, startled.

Nothing could have prepared me for the scene that appeared before my eyes. Scrap metal carpeted the length of the road, dotted here and there with shards of glass. Right in the centre of all this mess was the remains of a lime- green car and a beige run-down lorry, both blighted by the crash.

The Caucasian male, who was the lorry driver, was trapped in his vehicle; face partially obscured by an inflated airbag. He was not injured, and was already trying to come out of the lorry with the assistance of a few people. The lorry, being heavier, had got through the accident with barely a few dents and a couple of smashed headlights, but the car was not that lucky. Almost half of the car was destroyed, but miraculously, the driver was unscathed. A young woman in her forties, she was trying to come out of her car, albeit without success.

By this time, the lorry driver was out of the vehicle and on the curb, a dazed expression on his face. It was then that it struck me that I should have called an ambulance. I fished out my phone, clammy fingers rapidly pressing the three numbers that would bring help. It turned out to be unnecessary, however, as the moment I put the phone to my ears, the blaring note of a siren filled the air, and I put the phone down. An ambulance entered the scene, followed by a police car. The female driver was also out now, but there was a vast difference in behaviour.

She was screaming and abusing the Caucasian man, hysterically pointing an accusing finger at the driver as he silently protested. Finally, the policemen had had enough. They coaxed the woman until all she did was glare at the driver angrily.

The man’s face was ashen. Realising that something was wrong, the paramedics took him in a stretcher to the ambulance. The lady was brought in for questioning.

Soon enough, the crowd dispersed and everyone went about their businesses, and I continued on towards my house. By the time I had reached home, the incident had yet to settle comfortably in my mind, and relentlessly played itself over and over. I was truly unable to think of anything else.

The next day, on my way home again, my stomach lurched as I saw a cobalt-blue sign on the footpath -‘Witnesses needed’- with a graphic image of two cars at the bottom, followed by a telephone number. Not wanting to get involved, I walked on, as if I had never noticed the sign at all.

Yay! My first spoiler :D Okay. So I had to do this for school, some time ago, and when I was looking around in my room I suddenly found it. It was my first real piece of writing, the first thing that I actually enjoyed doing. It's cliché , and the topic is not very interesting, but please review and tell me what you think. If this looks familiar, Its because it's unedited version has been posted before, a year ago, using my old account. I deleted it though, it shouldn't be on YWS anymore. It's a little devoid of emotion during the scene, and the 'me' in this story isn't doing anything at all(any suggestions on countering that?). As my first attempt though, I'm happy with it. Hope you enjoy reading, and rip it apart!

ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Huh, this was indeed a realistic piece out there. You actually managed to put forward a very realistic work. It was seeing a very common incident in another light. Anyway, let's get into the review now.

First and foremost, the screech. I think that you don't need quotation marks around screech. Without quotation marks too, it sounds pretty decent. Adding quotation marks actually add an effect which I caan't quite explain.

Your descriptions were awesome. It was like I could vividly see the scene appearing in front of me.

Scrap metal carpeted the length of the road, dotted here and there with shards of glass.

I really liked the use of the word "carpeted" here. It added a lot to the scene here. Great imagination, I would say.

One thing which I do feel is about the description is the injuries done to the drivers. Like it's honestly pretty much impossible that the whole car was broken down and then the driver was inside the car and didn't get injured at all. It's kind of very contradictory. Also, I think you could add a bit of more sound here. Like the shattering of glass and then how the crowd caused chaos and then it was difficult for the ambulance and poolice officers to go through the crowd. These little descriptions can be added.

Another thing which I missed is the intense feeling. Like when you told that the character was not being able to forget it, you have the chance to add a lot of feelings and spark emotion in the unemotional readers. In these type of stories, I think adding feelings is a necessary part. I liked the last line though. The narrator there was the perfect representation of the people who ignore certain circumstances and for them people don't get helped. Though they understood that it was required and they kind of knew what happened, they subtly avoided it. That's quite sad, to be honest.

But again, I am a bit confused about the eye witness thing. Do we generally call for eye-witness in these accidents? Perhaps not. I am not sure about this though, maybe we live in different places with different rules. Overall, a didactic story and a good one too.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

malachitear says...

I'll add it in. I was actually too far to see it, and It's too minor for smoke to actually be released. The back would have to be badly damaged for that to happen. I'll probably add in the smell of it though. Thanks for mentioning it(:

malachitear says...

Thanks for the reviews!

BrooklynWriter :D :

First, to answer your questions.

A lorry is a large, heavy vehicle that is kind of like a truck. The driver was unscathed; many head injuries occur without visible symptoms(It was actually the shock though :D) This accident is set here, in Singapore. People argue a lot about materialistic items and are very stingy (not Singaporeans in general, referring to the characters in my story, thus the hysterical screaming, without concern of the lorry driver's state of mind. I'l add in more details on this when I redo it. Thanks so much!

Woot :D :

I understand what you mean about the wordiness, and I'll work on that, since I could probably do a better job at description if I got straight to the point.
Knowing what the piece is needed to do would help to straighten my plot since I would be more sure of what was needed to be done. Thanks for the insight on the characterization and emotion building. I'll keep the questions in mind when I do any further writing. I guess I forgot that the people reading might not know as much as I do about the characters.
Thanks for replying to the spoiler, and for taking the time to review.:D

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:33 am
Woot wrote a review...

This piece is decent for a first edit. However, I think it could benefit from a through read through to reduce the wordiness. As well as injection of emotion, as you suggested in your spoiler because right now, this piece lacks a point.

I will have to preface my review by saying that I am Canadian living in the US, so if I miss something because it's English, forgive me. I had to look up "Lorry". Ignorant Canadian is ignorant.

Ultimately, you have to ask your self what you want to accomplish with this story. What do you want the take away to be? How do you want your reader to feel after they have finished your piece? What do you want to say about your characters? Right now, this leaves me feeling lackluster, not really feeling one way or the other. Once you have answered some of these questions for yourself, you then can rework this piece to match your answers. You can inject some of the answers into your piece if you know what I mean.

For instance, what do you want to say about the women involved in the accident? Was she right to scream at the man? What's going on in that interaction? By detailing subtle things like body language or tone of voice and not so subtle things like dialogue you can characterize the women and the man and make the reader feel a certain way about them. Also, what does your Main Character think of the accident and the people involved? You might want to detail his thoughts on this. I also don't think it is a problem that your MC is just an observer, just as long as we get some of the characters thoughts with the observations. If we learn more about the three characters involved in the story, it will add the emotion that you find to be lacking.

If you want some more tips on this stuff I might checkout these articles:
5 Tips for Realistic Characters by Teaque
Breathing emotion into scenes by Rosey Unicorn

Your ending left something to be desired. Maybe it's an English thing, but what did the blue sign with the "Witness Needed" mean? Why was a Witness needed if the police were there? Did the women kill the man or something? Because the ending was so confusing, it didn't really have any punch. Although it is interesting that your character just kept on walking, but it would be even more interesting if I knew why. Does he just not care or is he traumatized about the whole event? If you do more characterization earlier in the piece, it might be easier to answer that question.

Nitpicks, Examples and Such:

“Screech!” The ear-splitting sound of mutilated metal and shattering glass reverberated throughout the estate, causing anyonewithin a few miles of the road to turn instinctively towards the source of the din. I whipped around, startled. #0000BF "><--- because your MC whipped around, it is already clear that he is startled.

Nothing could have prepared me for the scenethat appeared before my eyes. Scrap metal carpeted the length of the road, dotted here and there with shards of glass. Right in the centre of all this mess was the remains of a lime- green car and a beige run-down lorry, both blighted by the crash.

The Caucasian male, who was the lorry driver, was trapped in his vehicle#0000BF ">,face partially obscured by an inflated airbag. He was not injured, and was already #008000 ">trying to come out of the lorry with the assistanceof a few people. The lorry,being heavier, had got through the accident with barely a few dents and a couple of smashed headlights, but the #008000 ">car was not that lucky. Almost half of the #008000 ">car was destroyed, but miraculously, the driver was unscathed. A young woman in her forties, she was #008000 ">trying to come out of her #008000 ">car, albeit without success. #0000BF "><---couple things, the descriptor "Caucasian" just seems a little too sterile and formal for this work. The other thing is, you use a few words repeatably in this paragraph, which I have highlighted in green. Whether you see that as a problem is up to you.

I apologize for the long quote, but this is just an example of how you would be able to cut some words, and increase the impact of this piece. A general rule I follow is, if a word is not absolutely necessary to understand the essence of the sentence cut it. I have done the first few paragraphs, but of course you have final say on which edits to keep, if any, and which to discard. I just wanted to give you an example of what I meant.

Also I changed a semi-colon to a comma (highlighted in blue). Sorry for the grammar lesson, but you only use a semi-colon when you have a complete sentence on either side of the colon. While you have a complete sentence on the left side of the colon, you do not have a complete sentence on the right. So a comma is the right punctuation for that sentence unless you rework it.

Overall,This work is decent. If you have any comments or questions feel free to PM or write on my Wall.

W

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:33 pm
BrooklynWriter wrote a review...

Whoa, this is amazing. You really captured this car accident. It seemed to be a mysterious piece as well. While I was reading, questions began to present themselves to me. First, of all, what is a lorrie? Next, I wondered what was wrong with the driver. He was unscathed, but surely he must have hit his head. What else could have left him in such a state? Then, I wondered why the woman was so angry. She didn't seem to be mad over the car, more deranged in general.

But, because I'm nitpickedy, I would rather have known what the woman was screaming, and some more overall details of what you, or whoever is telling the story, was thinking when they decided not to get involved. But good job anyway.

Never Stop Writing,

Brook

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Wow! This was really good the description was excellent it was almost as if I was there!
Great job!

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin