Home » Literary works » Short Story » Realistic

Middle School Debate

by mackmack101

Middle School Debate

Characters

• Ms.Clinton
  • Ex. Pres Trump
  • Ex. Pres Obama
  • Marcus (Student)
  • Sarah (Student)

Setting

In an alternate universe at School were Ms.Clinton teaches. This is 2 months after Trump has been out of office from his 2-year term.

Background

Ms.Clinton is a Political Debate teacher, who is having trouble explaining the importance of Political Debate. So earlier that day she calls former presidents Trump and Obama. Even though they don’t get along very well they end up teaching the kids an important lesson.

(Scene 1 opens up to classroom with 5 minutes of school left the teacher anxiously looking out the window and at her watch she had a plan for a particular 2 students.)

Ms.Clinton: Thank you everyone that presented except for Sarah and Marcus (After a pause) Again. You guys may talk for the last 5 minutes.

Marcus: (Talking to the guys while sitting down on top of his desk) I didn’t do my presentation because I cant stop thinking about how I can’t wait to go to the Skate park later and shut Darien up with all that mess he’s been talking about. He can’t even beat me in 2k.

(Focus shifts to Sarah just as she feels it should always be)

Sarah: (Sitting in desk legs crossed and makeup mirror out while talking to friends) I would have presented today it’s just I didn’t want to mess up my nails on the podium I just got a refill.

(Ring-Ding went the bell as everybody tried to rush out of the class, but they were to slow for Ms.Clinton she darted across the room and let everybody go except Sarah and Marcus.)

Marcus: I didn’t do it I swear it wasn’t me it probably was that Darien.

Sarah: What’s your obsession about this guy Darien do you really think about him this much?

Marcus: I hate him I cant wait to take him down he’s my worst enemy he thinks he’s better than everybody else.

Sarah: Mhmmmm

Marcus: That’s it, the only reason I say his name

Sarah: (Rolling her eyes) WHATEVER

Marcus: Seriously (Pauses)… I don’t need to prove myself to you. You’re just a shallow girl with nail refills.

Sarah: And you’re just…

Ms. Clinton: (Interrupting Sarah before she could finish) I’d hate to stop you guys because this is the most debating either of you two have ever done in my class since you’ve became a student at Mclair Middle, But there’s a reason I had you two stay after school today.

Sarah: (Whispers) To punish us

Ms.Clinton: (Who has keen ears) NO. Not to punish you, but to educate you.

(There’s a knock on the class door and a big commotion and glass breaks in the distance as a cat yelps. Ms.Clinton runs to look out the window and sees two black limos)

Ms.Clinton: Oh no they weren’t suppose to get here at the same time.

Marcus and Sarah: (Say in unison) who wasn’t supposed to get here at the same time.

Ms.Clinton: Your former presidents.

Marcus and Sarah: (Looks quizzically) What!

(Ms.Clinton opens the door to see two feeble men race-walking down the hall to get to the door first they charge through Ms. Clintons door and tumble as they entered. Obama tries to get up.)

Obama: Looks like the win…

(Trump pulls him to the floor and steps on Obamas back)

Trump: …Is me. Hi Hillary (He says in a loud obnoxious voice)

Ms.Clinton: Hi Donald the rea…

Trump: For my glamor shots. I know, I know.

(Obama uses table to stand up)

Obama: Nobody wants pictures of your wiltering body. (Obama makes these up on the spot) Anyways Hill, Hilly, Hill Billy, Tiger Lilly what’s up why did you invite this dimwit and me.

Ms.Clinton: Well two of my students, Marcus and Sarah are…

Trump: (Cuts Ms.Clinton off again) Oh they must be big fans of me.

Marcus: (Marcus says mater of factly) I’m not, my parents aren’t fond of you at all. They said you’re a dumb pig who was trying to make a profit off the country.

Trump: (Getting angry) Well you can tell them…

Sarah: (Cutting trump off this time) How dare you Marcus? (She says this with great emphasis) You must be out of your simple brained mind. Trump is the greatest president of our time its an honor to have him here.

Obama: You didn’t pay her to be here did you Trumpy. It must either be that or her parents must be some darn Republicans.

Marcus: (He says this very sure of himself) They are they’ve been to his entire rally they treat him like some type of god or something. Her parents are loaded too.

Trump: Just because her mom isn’t on Medicaid and has her dad around, doesn’t make them rich Marky.

Marcus: First my Dad is an Engineer, and my Mother a doctor. Second don’t call me Marky.

Obama: Isn’t it so sad that he automatically decides what someone will be or act like by the way they look.

Sarah: Ok so what if some people think about the past of some peoples races before they speak.

Obama: You are one prejudice child, but I know it’s not your fault you weren’t raised in a good society.

Trump: That’s Fake News Shut up!

(Marcus laughs)

Trump: What’s funny you imbasil.

Marcus: (Out of breath from laughing so hard) It’s just… Its just I didn’t think you said that for no reason in real life.

Obama: (This is said with much excitement) Right! We were talking about the white house and I told him the air force 1 plane was really nice, and he screamed Fake News! I was trying so hard not to bust out laughing.

(Obama starts laughing now)

Trump: (Talking to Sarah) Look at those monkeys laughing about such a serious topic that’s why he had to go.

Obama and Marcus: What did you call me.

Sarah: A freaking M-O-N-K-E-Y

Obama: How dare you call me that, and for the record I was in office for 4 years and you 2. So by the American peoples vote YOU are the one that had to go.

Trump: At least I’m better than the horrible President we have now she use to own some boring stupid show.

Marcus: (He says this plainly) Oprah Winfry that’s crazy you don’t even know your current president.

Sarah: Its not like she’s done anything in office in the past 2 months.

Marcus: It’s been a year and four months. She’s actually done so much since she’s been in office she made a cheap and affordable health care…

Trump: Which she stole from me.

Obama: Which you stole from me.

Marcus: She made most colleges and schools free to the public. She’s put up 800 different shelters in 45 different states. She’s made becoming an American citizen a lot easier and user friendly.

Sarah: Why? So people from all these different countries can bring drugs and take our jobs?

Marcus: Believe it or not there’s a lot more people seeking shelter or have come to better the American culture, than those to hurt it. If there are some drug dealers or such, president Winfry has remodeled every police station in the 50 states and raised the salary for police officers. So I think we’ll be just fine.

(Ms.Clinton is at her desk admiring how well her plan has come together)

Ms.Clinton: Thank you Sarah and Marcus for presenting you guy did great.

Sarah, Marcus: What?

(Ms.Clinton, Trump, and Obama high five.

Ms.Clinton: Since August when you took this class you haven’t debated not once. So I called up some old friends of mine. They just happen to be Ex-Presidents. I asked them to fake an argument to get you guys into it.

Sarah, Marcus: So this was all a set up. I feel so dumb.

Ms.Clinton: Yep Mr.Obama and Trump have been friends for months now.

Obama: Yep

Ms.Clinton: You guys can go now. Its 5:30 you can still make you nail appointment and Marcus you can still play 2k.

Sarah: Do we have to? It was fun debating.

Marcus: Yea please? Can we stay?

Ms. Clinton: Of course you can (She says smiling)

(The lights fade with Sarah and Marcus laughing as the curtains close)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
seekingthetruth wrote a review...

I am going to say this first I SUPPORT THE DEMOCRATCS

I dont know what in the name of god were u thinking when u decided to write this but you cant make the president of the united states to be this I mean he may have a horrible past and all and yes some of the things he has said while he has been president have been wrong , he still did many of his election campaign promises and he is good for my country once we finally leave the EU. too be honest its a bit childish and I think next time re check your work and make sure it wont offend anyone or cause upset as its an offense in the justice system to judge someone by thier cover.

stereotypes , why the hell do you only associate girls with "girly things" its absurd we are living in the 21st century and I am a girl I dont wear make up or care bout stuff that some girls do and if u have a problem with that … then keep it to your self this piece is really offensive and judgemental and I am sorry but if u r going to post stuff like this on here then u better leave becuase no one likes it , you are good at wrting and your vocab is great but the things you said and implied did not help your case in anyway I am sorry but becuase this is offensive to pretty much everyone then I am going to have to report this.

sorry

seeking the truth , found out the horrible truth of some peoople

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 pm
inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, mackmack101! Ink here for a review, so let's get into it!

I'll preface this by saying that I consider myself a Democrat (at least, that's what I'll register as when I register to vote), but I still think you've done Republicans a disservice in this script.

You can't make Trump out to be some oaf who can barely speak a sentence. He managed to become president, and although you don't have to respect him, you have to give him some credit. He's not a complete imbecile (and while we're on that note.)

Trump: What’s funny you imbasil.

You spelled imbecile wrong.

Throughout the entire work, you had numerous spelling and grammar errors. When I review, I rarely point these out, but I thought it was at least worth a mention.

Another thing I'd like to mention are the gross stereotypes you imposed upon Sarah. As a girl, I hate it when girls are characterized as people who only care about their appearance and are always mean to people. I also hate it when girls who care about their appearance are shamed for it. There is no harm in wanting to look good. Most of the girls I know who dress well and wear makeup are the girls who I know are going to be extremely successful later on. You can't make characters from stereotypes. People aren't that simple!

How dare you call me that, and for the record I was in office for 4 years and you 2. So by the American peoples vote YOU are the one that had to go.

Uhh, FAKE NEWS (sorry, I couldn't resist). Obama served 2 terms so 8 years.

5:30? How long does school there go? That's ridiculous! I've always gotten out of school around 3, and I have attended several schools in multiple districts.

I'm sure you are aware that Trump has a history of being overtly racist, but this is actually a nasty slur (? not sure if that's the right word to use in this case). Black people have been called monkeys to dehumanize them since slavery times. I'm not sure if you were aware, but I just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't know that it was an insult very close to home for African Americans.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. If this was supposed to be a pro-Democrat argument, you did not do very well. You didn't have a clear focus and you did not support your arguments well. You made Trump into a strawman which is a notoriously bad debate tactic. Your grammar, like I said above, wasn't spectacular, and that made this difficult for me to read.

I'd also like to note that you should always always always do your own research on politics. Consider both sides. Don't just take whatever people tell you and run with it. The most valuable opinion is your own opinion. I'm only saying this because you are presumably young and likely don't have a lot of experience consuming media about politics.

I know I sounded very negative in this review, but I only want to help you. The beautiful thing about writing is everyone can improve with practice and effort. Keep writing and you will improve; I promise.

If you have any questions or comments, ask in a reply to this review or a pm!

~Ink

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:55 am
DreamingofWriting wrote a review...

Okay, very interesting. I love your writing style, as it’s easy to understand, and you didn’t use a lot of fancy words.
However, I felt confused reading it, because some of the sentences were missing punctuation marks.
And some letters were low caps when they should’ve been uppercase letters.
Then some words were missing.
Suggestions: (I’m working from the bottom to the top, just so you know)

You guys can go now. Its 5:30 [.] [Y]ou can still make [it to] you[r] nail appointment and [,] Marcus [,] you can still play 2k.

Yep [.] Mr.Obama and [Mr.] Trump have been friends for months now.

Since August [,] when you took this class[,] you haven’t debated[.] [N]ot once. So [,]I called up some old friends of mine. They just happen to be Ex-Presidents. I asked them to fake an argument to get you guys into it.

(Ms.Clinton, Trump, and Obama high five.[)]

Thank you Sarah and Marcus for presenting [.] [Y]ou guy did great.

Believe it or not [,]there’s a lot more people seeking shelter or have come to better the American culture, than those to hurt it. If there are some drug dealers or such, [P]resident [Winfrey]has remodeled every police station in the 50 states and [,]raised the salary for police officers. So I think we’ll be just fine.

It’s been a year and four months. She’s actually done so much since she’s been in [the] office[.] [S]he made a cheap and affordable health care…

Its not like she’s done anything in [the] office [(I removed the in)] the past 2 months.

Oprah [Winfrey] that’s crazy you don’t even know your current president. [(This sentence is extreme confusing)]

At least I’m better than the horrible President we have now[.] [S]he use to own some boring show. [(I felt as if the sentence would be improved without the stupid)]

So, now, I believe you can see the areas that could definitely be improved. As you can tell, I did not edit, I guesss you could say, the whole thing, but those were done if the major problem ms I found scattered throughout the play.

Now, I loved it. You have a very good sense of humor in writing, and actually managed to weave a lesson in there for your readers to learn. That’s admirable.
and then choosing this particular subject as well. Very courageous.

I’m sorry if I did this wrong. I’m new, and I’m not the best at reviewing stuff. I’m really sorry if I did anything wrong.

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala