De-Evolution

by lyssiekins

Behold! Your mind in a cage.

Careful, it bites!

Subdued when you set the stage

For your life. 

Every setting is a limitation.

-

All life's a stage

And it's curtains for you

Because the show is "King Kong"

The monkey mind is subdued

But for what duration?

-

It's all the rage 

The audience is captive

Yet even life may be surprised to find

Itself unadaptive.

Now for a standing ovation.

Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:44 pm
theshcr20 wrote a review...

Hello,
I would like to start by saying how well you grabbed attention with the very first line. As I’ve read it, I knew - this will make me think. And I love that.

The brain being compared to an animal in a cage, vicious - is quite a unique way to describe it. I must admit that I have not heard or read anything similar. Perhaps it means that the brain is too dangerous for its own good? Or maybe, the brain is not meant to be trapped and we should set it free to achieve greatness?

“Every setting is a limitation.”

This line made me wonder - are we the ones setting the limitations or the worlds around us?
The next five lines talk about how life is a stage, which made me wonder further. Maybe our brain needs more? A bigger stage? Maybe we were never meant to be there in the first place?

So many questions and I think more than one answer, more than one interpretation is possible and that is what makes this a really good piece. It makes you think and different people might ask different questions and have completely opposite answers.

I really enjoyed this!

Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 am
alpacaboss wrote a review...

I really like reading poems that make you think. It is usually a fresh breath of air from its opposite, emotional or heart-wrenching poems. Not saying I don't like emotional poems, but it's nice to see something like this every once in a while.

Behold! Your mind in a cage.

Careful, it bites!

Subdued when you set the stage

For your life.

Every setting is a limitation.

This is an interesting way to describe the brain. A wild creature that bites and cannot be tamed until you set the stage for life. Personally, I think this means that the brain is wild and must be set free or it will be hostile, biting as it is trapped in the cage. However, every stage in life has its limitations, preventing your mind from achieving its fullest self. However, what exactly is the optimal environment for the brain? Too much freedom can be detrimental, but too little freedom can produce some of the most resourceful minds, especially those that want to escape.

All life's a stage

And it's curtains for you

Because the show is "King Kong"

The monkey mind is subdued

But for what duration?

Life seems like a stage and not a place for the mind to grow. Although I don't believe in evolution, I do agree that some environments tend to limit our mind's potential and capabilities. (ahem, the flawed school system, ahem)

It's all the rage

The audience is captive

Yet even life may be surprised to find

Itself unadaptive.

Now for a standing ovation.

I have to admit. I don't get this part. It feels a bit more abstract compared to the previous two stanzas. What I get from this is that with such kind of environment, the brain cannot achieve its full potential. Thus, life finds itself stagnant and repetitive. I find the last line to be more of a sarcastic reply to the this sad reality that we are forced to live mundane lives when we can do so much more.

Overall, this poem made me think and I like to think and I like things that make me think. I'm a simple person (alpaca). Thank you for this!

This is alpacaboss, signing off.

lyssiekins says...

What you mean to say is you don't understand evolution. You can choose not to believe in the sun too, but it exists anyways.

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein