z

Young Writers Society



Disney's Sleeping Beauty

by luna_the_shiekah


I never really expected to post this. There was a thread on a roleplaying site called gaiaonline where you posted a truth or dare of writing for the person who posted next.

The dare: Rewrite the ending to a Disney movie. And I chose Sleeping Beauty. Here is the result. Enjoy :)

Sleeping Beauty copyright to Disney.

I own nothing!!

***

An Alternate Ending to Disney's Sleeping Beauty

Prince Phillip panted and quickly dove to the side of the rocky cliff. To think that the vile witch Maleficent had such a demonic form beneath her emerald skin, dark cloaks, and condescending tone. It was a horrific sight to behold for any mortal.

The dragon screeched and roared, fire mimicking its opposite forms flesh erupting from its gaping maw. The ebony scales that covered its massive body seemed to drink in the very light around it, the hardened flesh of the creature's belly in a dark mauve hue. Malevolent glowing yellow eyes pierced the clouded skies, forcing his heart to skip in terror as he pressed his back against the black patch of thorns and spikes behind him.

Phillip cried out in pain as he felt the sharpened points rip through the silk clothing of his royal garments and pierce his flesh. The crimson liquid that kept him and all other mortals alive dripped down the paling skin of his back.

With white knuckles, he gripped his shield and sacred blade, his jaw clenched and his gaze hardening in response to the dragon's bloodthirsty stare.

He had a maiden to awake. A fair-haired, pale maiden with pools of blue and full red lips. A princess endowed pleasing curves that locked inside the sincere heartbeat of a saint. Her long lashes had been closed for far too long, her breathing slow and leisurely for years in her magic-induced slumber.

He had to save her. It was his duty as a prince, as a man, as the woman's fiancée.

His duty was to never be completed. In his haze of blood loss and desire for the lady held beyond his reach by magic and stone, the dragon flew up and descended upon him from the stormy skies above, its jaw unhinging and forcefully pulling his body apart. His torso separated from his pelvis, his blood showered the morbid vines as the witch crunched on his bones and delighted in the taste of his organs.

The sacred shield and sword fell to the ground. A testament of a noble act left undone.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 1040
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 pm
shakira1187 wrote a review...



Pretty much everything was already said. To feel you the truth I really expected this to be cheesy, come on its Disney. I was pleasantly surprised by this fanfiction, it was dark and pretty good. I did not expect the ending and it was a pleasant and graffic conclusion.
The only thing that bugged me was the middle where you are describing the fight and the bleeding. It was a bit too wordy for me at times but I think someone already commented in that.
All in all it was written well for a Disney fanfiction, I will never watch Sleeping Beauty the same again :)




User avatar
106 Reviews


Points: 5749
Reviews: 106

Donate
Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 pm
Flux wrote a review...



Oh dear, I am overcome with jealousy. I guess I'll start with the faults to boost my ego a bit ;)

The crimson liquid that kept him and all other mortals alive dripped down the paling skin of his back.


So, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (since I am too lazy to read through other reviews) but the "and all other mortals" doesn't need to be there. Since Prince Phillip is mortal, then if the crimson liquid that keeps him alive would be the same for all other mortals. That basically doesn't need to be there.

OVERALL:

I am truly jealous of you. The description you had was amazing! You set the mood from the start. Everything was so vivid to me; I could see it exactly the way you wrote it. You played the seen perfectly.

And as for the gore? Well, the gore is perfect. Not all endings are happy, are they? This adds a delightful twist to the story!

Excellent job! Gold star from me!




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 31

Donate
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 am
huggybear123 wrote a review...



I loved this! It was so descriptive and a more realistic, darker ending to the Disney version. Disney ruined the Brothers Grimm stories. You know how the prince woke the princess in Sleeping Beauty? By having sex with her! Plus Cinderella was based on Ashputtle which was a very bloody, morbid tale.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 1294
Reviews: 25

Donate
Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:59 pm
cnvalambrosia wrote a review...



"pools of blue"?
it would make sense that you mean her eyes here, but then it doesn't when you realize that she's sleeping and her eyes are closed. Unless you were going for a creepy, open-eyed, staring into the abyss which is mine kind of sleep. In that case that's cool to.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 10

Donate
Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:03 am
The-Phantoms-Thorne wrote a review...



I quite liked this piece and I'm sure that there isn't anything I can say that other have said already.

One thing, though. Maleficent didn't have green skin, it was more of a grey hue. Perhaps you were thinking of the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz?

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of it. A job very well done. Have you considered re-writing some more?




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:10 pm
Embroswyn15 wrote a review...



this was a very clever and intriguing twist on the classic disney story. I never would have thought of that. i believe that at the end, however, the gore was a little overboard but other than that, I think it was fantastic, no matter how gruesome the sad ending was. i, for some reason, tend to like taking a traditional story and twisting and altering it up a bit. overall, great job. i hope to see more of your work.


~Morgan~




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 1212
Reviews: 17

Donate
Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 pm
running_with_the_devil wrote a review...



This painted a great picture for me. I could really picture it all. I particularly liked the part where the dragon ripped his body to pieces. Deffinately a twist to this sweet fairytale!
Tis a shame that Arora will never wake up now... Hehe



pale maiden with pools of blue

Does this mean eyes? My apologies if I sound stupid for asking.




User avatar
297 Reviews


Points: 9917
Reviews: 297

Donate
Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 am
Kaylyn wrote a review...



Wow. Very descriptive, although I prefer happy endings, you wrote this piece beautifully and thats what counts. You did great on the imagery, unfortunately I could see everything happening, :) even the gorey parts. Great job, and good luck with your writing!!!




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 1188
Reviews: 38

Donate
Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 am
JordanEmert wrote a review...



Even though The prince never kissed Sleeping Beautyand woke her up like the original story goes, I thought this was a splendid ending. I honestly like this ending more, it has more life in it. Good job. Everybodys yelling at me for not saying whats wrong with other peoples story because thats what a critique is. But there was nothing wrong with this onein my opinon. so.. Good Job!




Random avatar

Points: 790
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:45 pm
View Likes
theniceguy1135 says...



Very good work. Nice and gory. The only mistakes I saw were the ones already pointed out.




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:45 pm
Esmé says...



Okay, I see that everything has been said, lol. I just wanted to add that the description of the dragon was fabulous.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 82

Donate
Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:34 am
misspriss wrote a review...



It was very well written, and I'm not sure if someone already said this but when you said, "A fair-haired, pale maiden with pools of blue and full red lips." I think you meant with pools of blue for eyes or something like that but as it is it sounds like she has pools of blue on her...




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:27 am
blackwings_angel wrote a review...



This is wicked cool. It unfortunetly would never happen, disney hasn't made anything have a sad ending in a while. If this were to be a disney picture It wouldn't be so bloody, the dragon would of just eaten him whole instead of ripping him in half sendin g blood everywhere. :? Oh well. Send it into disney and see what happens :wink: that would be hilarious they could call it

Happily Never afters: the true stories




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:27 am
hellstrife wrote a review...



It wasn't perfect, but it didn't really need to be. Obviously this was just for fun and to amuse, and I was certainly amused. The image of Phillip getting horribly mutilated by Malificent pleased me, and not just because I think that Phillip is another annoying one-sided character of old-school Disney. Malificent is one of the coolest villains ever, and I think that she definitely should have beat him.

It amused me and with fanfiction, that's all that matters.




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:44 pm
Myth wrote a review...



A fair-haired, pale maiden with pools of blue and full red lips.

Pools of blue what?

I’m not a fan of Sleeping Beauty (or fanfiction). I also did not think the ending was as impressive as the beginning, especially as the description of the dragon was fabulous.

-- Myth




User avatar
647 Reviews


Points: 9022
Reviews: 647

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:21 am
Alteran wrote a review...



luna_the_shiekah wrote:His duty was to never be completed. In his haze of blood loss and desire for the lady held beyond his reach by magic and stone, the dragon flew up and descended upon him from the stormy skies above, its jaw unhinging and forcefully pulling his body apart. His torso separated from his pelvis, his blood showered the morbid vines as the witch crunched on his bones and delighted in the taste of his organs.


How pleasently graphic.

I like the idea of an unhappy ending to a disney movie (It will never happen).

Sweet except for the few parts that everyone else pointed out. I had a hard time understanding the part that said:

The dragon screeched and roared, fire mimicking its opposite forms flesh erupting from its gaping maw.


till i read the crits. nice job :)

Brought to you in part by the CCF




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:01 am



KazSmurf: I see your point on the gore, I just threw it in to be bloody. ;)

Lilyy: I wasn't aware there were different versions of the word fiancee' depending on the gender of the person. Thanks for that tidbit though!

Thanks for the critiques ^_^




User avatar
116 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 116

Donate
Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:39 pm
Lilyy03 wrote a review...



This was interesting! I quite liked the way it held to the original in some ways, but was much darker. The Prince's thoughts about the girl were especially well done. I can only think of a few small things that could be improved...

Prince Phillip panted and quickly dove to the side of the rocky cliff.


I think the word "quickly" might be a bit extraneous here... When I think of word "dive", it happening quickly seems sort of automatic.

... as the woman's fiancée.

I'm pretty sure that fiancée is the term for an engaged woman, and finacé is the word for an engaged man.




User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 79

Donate
Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:24 pm
Cpt. Smurf wrote a review...



Overall, i thought this was good. There were a few things that were unnecessary, so i will review those.

The dragon screeched and roared, fire mimicking its opposite forms flesh erupting from its gaping maw.

There was only a minor mistake here. You should have put a comma after 'forms.'

The crimson liquid that kept him and all other mortals alive dripped down the paling skin of his back.

You could drop the "and all other mortals" bit, it doesn't need to be there. "The crimson liquid that kept him alive" works just as well.

His torso separated from his pelvis, his blood showered the morbid vines as the witch crunched on his bones and delighted in the taste of his organs.

I think there was some unnecessary gore here. It detracts from the quality of the piece. All you really needed to say was something like "his blood showered the morbid vines, while the witch delighted in her kill." This has the same effect without giving us graphic gorey images.

Overall, this was very good, and i actually had to be quite picky to find anything to improve on. There is nothing bad here, and it is a good, darker alternative to a much loved children's tale.





she slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew there was a lion among them.
— r.m. drake