z

Young Writers Society



it was my first poem so it well...sucks, lol

by lulu_lizzrd


1


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 8413
Reviews: 816

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:11 pm
Leja wrote a review...



First of all, the title is a huge turn-off. If you don't like your work, how do you expect others to?

Woah... repetition. I'm sure you can gauge my reaction here. I get bogged down in the repetition so much that I can't even really read the rest of it.

The last stanza, while pleasently devoid of repetition within itself, was just a summary of what happened in the previous stanzas, and didn't seem to add mcuh that was new, rather than helping to understand everything else in a new light.

Rethink your approach, and you might have something going here.




User avatar
236 Reviews


Points: 4825
Reviews: 236

Donate
Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:08 pm
carelessaussie13 wrote a review...



The last two lines were off rhythm and didn't add much to the poem. The repetition was getting boring. I knew the entire feeling and subject of the poem by the time I read the first stanza. why did I need to go on? But for a first poem, not bad. keep writing.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:12 pm
Lora wrote a review...



*sigh*
it seems that everyone has said everything already. but that's ok, because...your poem had to much repition in it...so why can't everything else? it's because it is a bit tiring to hear after a bit, right?
so maybe if enough people say it, then maybe it will make sense to you?
other than that the last verse, was indeed sweet! Muy Bien! nice first try...but remember, you can only get better now!...well let's at least hope that all of our repetitious posts have helped! keep it up!

---Lora




User avatar
316 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 316

Donate
Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:38 pm
whence wrote a review...



well, everyone else has pointed out the content errors, and Claw already said my standard recommendation: Read.

However, I still feel there's something to say.

Whatever you do, do not set yourself up for failure. If you introduce your poetry by saying 'yeah...it sucks', you might think you're just trying to excuse any mistakes via admittance, but in reality you're putting everyone in a mindset to read something terrible. Also, if you just bluntly say you think your piece is crap, it lends to thinking that you don't care about it. And if you don't care, then why should any potential-critiquers care?

Regardless, if you expect to write poorly, then that's what's gonna happen.

Oh yeah..... read
:D

~Ed




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:25 pm
Emerson wrote a review...



It repeats to much, and has no punctuation. (Unless you count the one period at the very end.) Those are my biggest complaints.

Since you yourself say you are new to poetry, I suggest you read poems. That helps. Read some on the forum, look at the comments, see what is good/bad, and figure out how you can improve your own writing by what other people look for in poetry.




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Not going to mention the repetition seen as others dealt with that... oh dear. Too late. I mentioned it. Seriously though, that doesn't work. One or two lines repeated for emphasis is fine but the whole poem is repetition with the odd other word. Also, you mistyped your a few times -

Write a poem that 'wakens you eyes (here)

Laugh a laugh that 'wakens you eyes (and here)

Also, 'wakens makes little sense. Even as awakens your eyes, it still doesn't sound quite right but I agree that the ending is sweet and well written.




User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 179

Donate
Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:37 pm
biancarayne wrote a review...



Like everyone is saying, there is too much repetition in here that does nothing to this poem but rather takes away from it's potential power. Also punctuation might help too. Otherwise, for a first ever poem, which you said this was, this was definitely a very impressive write, as I've seen people who have been writing poetry for a while that don't right this good. I think you could be good at it if you kept writing and working at it and developing a style and all, ya know?




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:08 pm
Twit says...



The last verse was very good,but if you had varied the first verses it would have been better. Just a little too repetitive,that's all.




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 13

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:32 am
London Aspen wrote a review...



lulu_lizzrd, I think that your poem whould sound less repetitive if you made it something like:


Sing a song that opens your heart
Dance a dance that 'wakens your eyes
Write a poem so lovely you weep
Laugh a laugh just for we
For whatever you do
I will always love you.

You whould add more punctuation, but it should probably sound something like that.


Good Luck,
London




User avatar
185 Reviews


Points: 1175
Reviews: 185

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:09 pm
piepiemann22 says...



What everyone else said. Keep going, you seem to have potensal.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:18 pm
checkers;, says...



Its repeats to much. Try going along the same lines... but using different worrd. if that makes any sense.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:18 pm
checkers;, says...



Its repeats to much. Try going along the same lines... but using different worrd. if that makes any sense.




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:37 pm
Swires wrote a review...



I didn't like it: I think the repetition didnt carry any meaning and took all power away from the poem. In future, consider writing what your heart says - don't try and make a pattern of your words and don't try and force a repetition or rhyme that doesn't work.




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 1190
Reviews: 6

Donate
Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:16 am
pink puppies wrote a review...



Hi! I like the ending of the poem! (but the begining........, don't repeat so much.) :?
But overall, it's a good poem! :D




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 164

Donate
Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:52 am
Ares says...



Uhm. Stop using all the same lines...

And how do you laugh a laugh? That sounds weird. Dance a dance sounds funny too. This could be cool if you had more in it and didn't use all the same stuff again and again.





They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain