z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Fendall Woods (Part II)

by wtppowers


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

The alarm woke me up this morning and I got ready for school.

"Good Morning Annapolis! It's another gorgeous Wednesday morning here in the Spring of '82, and it's gonna stay beautiful. We're exp-"

I turned off the alarm and went downstairs. I found my mother, as usual, sitting on the couch. She was watching the news. "We're out of cereal, Carl," she began.

"You know," I snapped, "It's not that hard to go buy some." I wasn't even hungry. I just said that to be an ass.

My mother turned around on the couch and gave me a dirty look. "You know, if you would just go get a job, maybe there would be some damn cereal!"

I had enough. I grabbed my backpack by the door and left. I walked down the street, toward the street. I passed the Jensen's house, with their annoying dog. I passed old man Robinson, a World War I veteran. I passed by one of the many open spots going into Fendall Woods (you're just... weird).

I froze and stood there, looking into the woods. I could clearly see the river, where I cleaned the blood off. I saw the bush where I hid Nicole. It was eight years ago, but it felt like yesterday. But I've done so much more than that... why did Nicole stick with me?

I couldn't stay here forever. It was getting to my head. I had to get to school. I sprinted down the road, and I didn't look back. Before I knew it, I had calmed down and just reached school. I walked by the crowd of kids and made into school in peace, despite the usual callings of "giraffe" and "freckles".

I went to my locker and then straight to first period. Mr. Thomas was my teacher that period, English. I was ready to discuss Pride and Prejudice and how much of a dick Mr. Darcy seems, but then I was ordered down to the office.

When I got there, I was met by the local psychiatrist, Dr. Wood. He would come down regularly to talk to me after the incident in the locker room. I met with him twice before, but we never went anywhere. I thought we were finished, but I guess I thought wrong.

"Mr. Perkins!" Wood greeted me energetically, like he was happy to see me. "Can we go somewhere private?"

"No," I said. Nonetheless, we went to a conference room, complete with a surrounding brick wall and a total of zero windows. I sat down on one end of the table. He took the other side.

"Before we start," he said, "I want to say that I'm a huge fan of your music."

Oh great. A Carl Perkins reference. It's funny, because I hate the guy's music.

"Can we just get this over with?"

He looked at me, and shrugged his shoulders. "How have the kids been treating you lately?"

Crappy, of course. But then again, it's always been like that. I'm easy prey for these kids. Tall, lanky, freckles, acne... the whole nine yards. Of course, it's been very bad at times. I told this to Dr. Wood.

"How has it been worse?" he asked.

I tried to say something, but I simply couldn't. My mind was swirling with thoughts. I felt dizzy, and a million thoughts came to me. I blacked out.

"Hey FRECKLES!"

"You worthless piece of garbage."

........................................................

It was hot in the locker room. I had just come pack from playing dodge ball, and everybody had to go take a shower. I walked inside a stall and turned on the water, when I heard someone walk up to me from behind. As soon as I turned around, this guy pushed me into the wall.

He walked closer to me, and I saw it was Mack Mitchell, the starting linebacker for the football team. Behind him, I saw that some other boys were watching with amusement. I looked at them pleadingly, but none of them did anything.

Mack grabbed me by the arm and lifted me up.

"I don't like you, you little shit." He twisted my arm, and red-hot pain came running up to my shoulder.

He threw me down on the ground and began to poke and prod me with my foot. Every time I tried to get up, he'd knock me down again. I made my way out of the stall, and now I was surrounded by all the other boys.

"Look at what we have here!" Mack called to the other boys. "A rat! A cold, diseased, and drenched rat!" He kicked me in the chest, and I thought he broke something. A rib, maybe.

"Anybody else want to help me take out the trash?" He asked. Then out of nowhere, I felt someone stepping on my head. I screamed as they kicked me away.

"Clarence, my man!" Mack said to the guy. The guy was Clarence Maxwell, another football player. I heard laughing from the other boys, and somebody threw a sneaker at me. I went into a fetal position and stayed there for as long as I could, while Mack and Clarence continued to harass me. Soon, the other boys jumped in and started hitting me and throwing stuff at me.

Mack picked me up and made sure I didn't fall down. I was dizzy, but I knew what was happening. Somebody opened a bottle of Coca-Cola (probably the one I had) and emptied it out on my head. Then he took the glass bottle and broke it across my back. I screamed in pain, but Mac held onto me.

"You know," Clarence began. "I've really got to piss."

He walked over to me and punched me in the gut. I fell down to the ground as Mack let go of me. I was dazed, and I just wanted to die. Suddenly, I felt myself being pelted with a warm liquid.

He was pissing on me.

Meanwhile, I felt another pelt of warm liquid, coming from a different direction, then another. They were using me for a toilet! I tried to crawl away, but Mack kicked me back into a corner.

Once they were done, they all decided they'd had enough. They all returned to their lockers, got dressed and left. I didn't even bother to move. I was bruised, bloody, and stinky. I was such a loser. I sat there and I cried for a good 20 minutes, until Mr. Jamison, the gym teacher, saw me. He told me to get cleaned up and to go to the office.

I went to the office, and I managed to tell the principal what happened. He called me "delusional", and took no action against the other kids. They all still harass me, and even got their girlfriends and siblings involved.

................

When I came to, I was lying down in the nurses' office. Dr. Wood came in to see me.

"Are you okay, Carl? You blacked out there."

"What? Oh yeah, sorry about that."

"It's okay," Dr. Wood said, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Your mother is coming to pick you up."

"Thanks, doc," I said.

He just smiled at me and left. I sat there on the bed, waiting, thinking.

Mack has to pay. They all do.

Yes, he did. And he was going to. The next day. My dad has a few guns in the basement. I'd already planned it. There was no turning back.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:50 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello wtp, Wolf here for a review.

First off, I have a few nitpicks:

Crappy, of course. But then again...

Usually it's not good to start a sentence with the words 'and', 'but', or 'because', mostly because it is so simple to just create a compound sentence, as you could do here. I think this is done several other times throughout this piece, so watch out for this.

"Hey FRECKLES!"

So, this is just a little thing that I have with capitalization. Usually having an all caps word looks unprofessional in an actual work, and really I discourage it. Though its fine without, italics work just fine for emphasis, but in this case you can just not use italics to show emphasis it works.

Alright, so yeah this was well written, and I can really get a feel for the character's personalities, but this isn't really my cup of tea. I really empathize with the main character, since I can tell he's going through hard times in his life and he's not really the most calm person in the world. I just can't help but feel bad for him.

Finally one last technical thing. A lot of your sentences start the same way. Like it sort of sound like (but not as bland as) "I did this. I did that. I saw this." Etc, etc. It gets a little boring, so try to spice it up a bit with dependent and independent clauses or throwing in some description. It will really help captivate your reader more.

Even though thks isn't my favorite, I still hope you finish it, just for the sake of being able to say you finished something. Anyways, Happy Review Day and Keep Writing,
~Wolfare
Image




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:42 am
lostthought wrote a review...



Hey powers! I'm going to review this thingy ma story as a special for review day!

Nitpicks

Spoiler! :
I had just come pack

Don't you mean he just came back

but Mac held onto

You forgot a letter in Mack


Some people are such a-holes. Honestly, peeing on him while he already down? The immaturity level in that is so high, it just broke the meter.

Why does Carl need to get a job if his Dad has a job? Unless his dad is dead and they happen to have some of his guns just hanging around. I would grab a few close range type of guns. Just so you can taunt then right before shooting them in the face. Then again, if you are going for unknown shooter, long range would be better.

I am curious as to what the mother is watching on the tv. It's the 80's after all!

-lost




User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 1618
Reviews: 155

Donate
Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:39 am
Prokaryote says...



... why would anyone want to review a story that you are going to trash regardless?




wtppowers says...


... points? I don't know. I'm keeping it up. I just don't want to continue it beyond this.




The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown