Sabihah's Note part 6 and 7

by lluvialover

6. Life is Unfair

“Hello, Lieutenant Steady, would you like a smoke?” The General offered the young lad a cigarette instead of a seat. Brian glanced around at the many unnecessary things in the general’s quarters: a fancy lamp with beads, a tan-colored couch with camels, some pottery with flowers and a Middle Eastern knife with precious stones on the handle.

“No thank you sir.”

“Hmm...How strange of you. How come?”

“I just don’t want to because of such heat.”

“In that case, you can cool down by my fan and still smoke.”

“Oh no, it’s fine.”

“I have noticed you’ve changed recently.” This phrase sounded awkward and out of place from the general. How could he notice anything? Not only do they meet rarely, but also Brian would bet his life on it, the general didn’t care at all, unless…

“Well, sir, war changes everyone,” He coolly responded.

“Ha-ha...All right.” The general turned his heavy head with beard sideways an as if talking to someone else, and said "I guess we have to take another route.” He worried Brian even more.

“Oh, by the way, you have a place you will take that girl to?”

“Yes sir, today I finally found out from her the address of her friends.”

“Hmm, without the interpreter’s help?”

“Yes sir, because I know some Arabic myself.”

“To tell you the truth, I think you need to bring her back today. She’s been here for too long.”

“You don’t need to worry Sir, the poor little girl just needed to recover. She only recently found out about her parents.”

“The poor little girl?!” the general’s face flushed with rage “Do you know what those poor little girls already have done? Do you watch the news?”

“Yes sir, but...”

“They already have bombed themselves up in many places. We cannot afford to have any connection with them.”

“She was the victim.”

“Too bad she couldn’t have blown up with the rest like she planned.”

“Dear Sir, I apologize but she was too far away from the center of the explosion to be blamed for it.”

“Oh, don’t you remind me, yeah, that center where four Americans died, and one of them my friend,” He screamed out of control.

“I am so sorry…” the general ignored his faint voice.

“But she will most likely do it, and not near us this time.”

“Yes sir, I will send her immediately, I did not object to your order,” He said, to save his life.

“Perfect, now you may proceed.” The general sent him away. Brian felt somehow frozen inside, like he has done something wrong, something against his own morals and wishes. ”He still believes the same thing. That prejudiced crazy man.” he thought. Yet he knew if he would go back, it would make things only worse. He longed to chat with Sabihah once more and maybe stop by his own room to find a gift for her; however, he sensed raven eyes watch him from the back: General Kendrick Carnell.

“Sa….”he trailed off at her name when saw her sitting with collected things. She knew it. He nodded his head and motioned for them to go. They left on a truck with several other soldiers. Helicopter would not be able to land because her friend lived in the busier part of the city.

While in the truck, deep inside, he longed to hold her hand, to see her eyes once more, but he felt he didn’t deserve it. Guilt swallowed up his confidence. Sabihah’s why and the inconceivable thought “you’re shipping her off as a terrorist” rang in his mind. If only they would’ve stayed together at least two days more…If only when she said hope, she meant love and all of this was worth suffering for. Besides, he saw her clenched fist, so she obviously didn’t want anyone to bother her, especially him who she was so angry at. He even never completed her request: to find her parents' bodies.

They passed by many huts made out of muddy bricks and at least ankle length clothed men and women: all with head wear. Beggars, most of them handicapped, and still - needed - to - be removed- in - future corrupted policemen caught the lieutenant's attention. The most decent building as he correctly recognized was an all girls school of one floor, domed brown roof, with massive wooden doors and white walls. Near it lived Sabihah’s friend. Five little children – two girls and three boys- startled by the truck, stood up and backed away into their mother’s hands who was dressed in all black. Their faces appeared amusing smudged with dirt. As Sabihah came out, the kids started tugging at her plum clothing sparkled with gold. Recognizing her, and giving her a hug, the mother called on to her eldest. Also in black, her face was partly shown. Sabihah’s friend burst out in tears: another breaking point in her life, joyful yet tragic. At least now the burden of supporting a fatherless family would be shared.

Meanwhile the soldiers, some frowning at such expressiveness, and Brian stood back. The lieutenant ordered them to bring bags with food and other supplies for the family, while he said the final goodbye.

The girl still held on to the scrap of paper with ‘do not regret it’ on it, clutching it tightly in her fist. It would give her hope after he was gone, a special kind of hope.

7. The Note

Wanting some time alone, Brian stumbled upon Anna in the meeting room, which was mostly unused. With her head over folded hands, she sobbed, her strongly built body shuddering. Disturbed by his arrival, she tiredly looked at him with reddened and wet face, her tangled hair in the way. Brian’s almond pupils ran from side to side in disbelief: he saw her crying for the first time. The lieutenant ironically smiled: did she feel guilty for once?

“It’s the note! I was so wrong about her. Now that I understand Sabihah, it’s too late.” She gave him a serious explanation and continued to moan too late, much too late…

“Already now. It’s ok. Just take a deep breath.” He wondered, what could Sabihah have written that was so sad it even made Anna cry?

“Here I have the translation, but before you read it, where did you take Sabihah to?’

“To her friend’s. The general gave me no choice but to take her there right away.” She breathed easily knowing that the girl was with someone she knew.

“What about that time that I …saw you guys…” she finally forced herself to say what was really on her mind, ”Did you hurt her against her will?!”

“No, I did not hurt her and what happened between us, happened because we both wanted it. I don’t think I have to explain any more of it.”

Anna’s eyes flickered: she marveled at the possibility of such romance. Brian could not bear her silence.

“Don’t you believe me?” She only laughed in answer, yet suddenly her easy tone turned into instructive.

“I pray you; don’t get yourself into trouble, love can blind. You’ll lose more chasing it than you’ve ever dreamed of doing with you ‘other half’.”

“Don’t worry; I don’t think I will ever see her again. I guess if this love was strong enough, God should have let us stay together. What ever happens is meant to be, and I have no power to change it.”

“You’re right.” Anna agreed with his hopeless reasoning. “Now, excuse me, but I must go and help with preparing some supplies which will be sent to the war base. Enough of crying.” She hugged him for courage, and closed the door behind, feeling strong again. Now he finally could read Sabihah’s note.

I was misunderstood so many times, not knowing enough English and too weak to express myself in Arabic to almost a stranger. I don’t blame you Anna for being so frustrated with me or Brian for not knowing Arabic. I thank you both and want to finally tell you all about myself and the best way is on paper.

I was wrapped with fabric from head to toe since the age of twelve. My parents revealed my face only to certain men. Just to look at me, noble suitors would pay a huge price, all hoping to marry me in the end. At first this occasion seemed amusing to me, yet after I expressed my feelings openly, I shut myself down even more because of the consequence. A “disciplinary” consequence. I did not feel myself as a human being, but as a toy or a thing everyone used. That is why I feel no love to my parents. I only cried for them because even if you leave in the worst of conditions, it is hard to believe it when they are ripped away from you and you are immediately thrown into a whole different world. It is difficult to adapt and even realize what happened.

My father and mother were the only people related to me that I knew. It was most likely not because my other relatives died, but because my parents kept me closed off. Luckily I did go to school, an all girls school. My parents encouraged me to always cover myself fully even in school, saying that others will get jealous because of my beauty. So I followed their orders. My clothes are still my only defense, but I grew stronger with your support. At least I am not scared of helicopters anymore. You will always stay in my heart. Thank you. May God be with you,

Sabihah

Brian’s eyes filled with tears, but he suppressed them. I love you even more, Sabihah, he sent her the warmest thought, imagining she’ll hear. He understood her pain, suppression, helplessness, and why she acted the way she did. Why she suddenly rose up from ashes to defend what was important to her, only to fall down back again in weakness from her past. Yet her experiences will make her so powerful and independent; she won’t ever fade after her bloom. He discovered something more than actions and words, something beyond the note.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:29 am
Apple wrote a review...

I love you ever more

Don't you mean I love you even more? And that's all the troubles I found. Other wise, nothing!

I really liked this, as with your others!

Keep writing

Apple
:D

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats