z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Language Violence

Capter 1

by littlelass


CHAPTER 1

The SUN has done his part for the day , and is settling down. It's time for the MOON to take his place. But I'm still at the hospital , after the 6 hours long operation . I too wanted to settle down like sun , but the Chief Doctor wants me take the moon's place too. I changed into my regular clothes and sat down in the chair. I had achieved what most people fail to. I successfully pursued my dream. "Dr. Eva you can leave",said Chief Dr. I hoped up from chair and thanked Chief Dr. for letting me go.

"Where is Crystal?" asked Chief . "Something came up....so she took half day off", I replied. After saying goodbye to Chief I left. The first step outside after 6 hours, I loosened my hair and let it free .The evening wind awakened my tired soul. It slowly passed by saying it's time to refresh. I walked towards the parking lot. I took the my car's key. Suddenly someone grabbed me from behind. "SURPRISE" said the person. From the voice I was sure it was her ''Crystal'', my crime partner . The girl with long brown hair, broad smile, and caressing attitude.

"Chris" I said.

"Are you tired?"she asked.

"Tired!? I'm half dead."

"Then I will drive , take a nap ."

I handed over the key and got in. I stretched my arms and closed my eyes.

"Eva, wake up .......wake up,we're home"shouted Chris.

I got up and she opened the door for me. I unlocked the door and went inside with her. For my surprise ,everyone was there. My other two besties , Hena and Irene with their parents .They all seem to worried and frustrated.

"Mom, what happened? Is there anything wrong!" I enquired .

"We need to go to Kerala."said Dad.

"What? How about my job?I won't get leave!"

"We are going for something important with our business partners. You children can't come."

"Oooh, then it's okay!"

"Eva , listen four of you will be staying at our friend's house, while we are gone."

It was the moment I realise that not only my parents are leaving but everyone's. That means we four will be here alone!

"Chris , we had brought your suitcase .",said Uncle Adam,her Dad.

I sensed there was indeed something suspicious since they are in a hurry.

"You children will be moving to David's house tomorrow",said Dad.

"His son and friends are also staying there!" Dad added after a pause.

"WH....AT" , we shouted in concomitantly.

TO BE CONTINUED...............


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 107

Donate
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:50 am
ChiravianSkies wrote a review...



Heya, it’s the chiravian here for a review! It's been a long while since I've reviewed, so excuse me if I'm rusty. And as a disclaimer, I may be harsh, but I don't mean anything towards you when I say these things.

For first impressions, I have to be extremely honest. I was thrown off by some of the more unconventional grammar usage and spelling. I’m usually a fast reader, but had to really slow down to absorb as much of this as possible. As well, does this novel have a name? It’s your first post, but I’ve found it’s extremely helpful for others to find your work through a title/find it more recognizable when new chapters show up in the green room ^.^.

So to really get into the meat of the review, the plot. The goal of a first chapter is to set the tone, world, and characters of your story. While this does a good job explaining who the main character is, and the life she leads, it doesn't do a good job explaining who or what anyone else is. There are a couple questions as to what she does, and I feel like more can be elaborated within the piece itself. As well, some things are still left in the dark in relation to the basics of her life. As well, while the chapter ends with us being told the main character is going to David’s house, we don’t know *who* David is or why she’s so surprised that she’s going over to his place.

This kinda leads into my next point about characterization. None of these characters have… character. I think this piece could benefit a lot more from more words, as then you’ll have more time to delve into Eva’s thought process firstly, but secondly, into how Eva sees the world and people around her. One of the more important things of allowing yourselves more words is more actions and descriptions from your main cast. For example, does the Chief Doctor hold his coffee with shaky hands from lack of sleep? Does he keep his eyes trained on Eva with a steely gaze? Small sentences like that an convey *who* a character is without needing to outright say it.

Overall, I feel like this piece could use more time spent into it. I won’t get into grammar, but it always helps to let a piece sit for a few hours, reread it, then proofread. Your piece has a very strong start, but it could just use a bit more refinement to give your reader an easier time of understanding what exactly is happening. This means that your message has an easier time of being conveyed to us. The piece is strong, and your dialogue clearly has a strong voice to it, but I feel like you’ve gotta give more time to refine the work. Keep writing, and I look forward to seeing your improvement as you post!




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:07 pm
Plume wrote a review...



Hey! Silverquill here, with a review!

I enjoyed this piece a lot. You do a good job hooking the reader into the story, immersing them right away into Eva and her life. You have brilliant characters and settings, and they all help to drive the story forward. Good job!

However, there are some grammatical errors. You could stand to read over it and correct the tenses of the verbs, as you tended to switch. @firemoons did a good job going over that, so I won't go through and correct it.

A couple reminders for dialogue: put commas inside quotations. Start a new paragraph when someone new speaks. You don't need both a period and a comma when you end dialogue.

And one last thing I'm confused about: I'm not sure how old Eva is supposed to be, exactly. In the beginning, she seems to be working at a hospital and is a doctor (or even a surgeon). This would, of course, take years of schooling, but she still seems to be living with her parents. They even think she needs supervision, and they call her a child. But her good friend Crystal can drive. I think it would be good if you cleared this up.

Overall, lovely piece. I can't wait to see where you take it next!




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:31 pm
View Likes
firemoons wrote a review...



I really love this beginning, and I can already tell the four of them are going to get into trouble. :) The parents present some questions too—where are they going on business? What's the rush? Is there a specific reason the kids can't come? Are they going to be meeting someone important? Are the kids used to their parents attending business meetings on the fly? (Or maybe I'm just reading into this too much, and this isn't unexpected for them. Still, though, I'm curious to know why the kids can't come since Eva seemed to think they were in the beginning. Do the kids usually go with their parents? And if so, I wonder what they do to occupy their time.) Anyway, to the review!

The sun had done his part for the day and was settling down. It's time for the moon to take his place. I was still at the hospital after the 6 hour long operation. I, too, wanted to settle down like sun, but the Chief Doctor wanted me to take the moon's place. I changed into my regular clothes and sat down in the chair. I had achieved what most people fail to: I successfully pursued my dream.
"Dr. Eva, you can leave," said Chief Dr. I hopped up from chair and thanked Chief Dr. for letting me go.


I love how you used the sun and moon part to explain day and night shifts; I never would've thought of that. Those first couple of sentences were really intriguing and drew me in. It allows the reader to get into Eva's mind, and I think mentioning the sun and moon really captures part of her personality. It's a beautiful beginning. :)

Moving to the grammatical part: I noticed in several areas that there's a space behind the punctuation where there shouldn't be (like there was after "day" here). The tense also switched a couple of times in this paragraph ("wanted" was "wants"); I changed them to past tense here since most of the chapter is also in past tense. I added a paragraph break when the Chief Doctor started to speak; aside from in the second paragraph, that was the only part where there wasn't a break when a new character started to speak. Overall, though, your grammar here is really good, and the only mishaps were small ones that didn't stop the flow of the story.

I feel like the Chief Doctor could be introduced a little more in the first two paragraphs despite appearing to be a side character. Clearly, he's Eva's boss, but who is he? What's his name, and what does he look like? How long has he been working at this hospital? He seems very professional and more formal in the way he addresses Eva; is he on the older side? I get this sense that she looks up to him and respects the Chief Doctor a lot. Even though their interaction is brief, I get the feeling that he's approachable and friendly like most doctors.

Reading the intro, I think Eva's job at the hospital is a little glossed over, and that it isn't going to be super important to the plot. I'd like to know more about who she is at the hospital, especially with the mention that she came out of a six hour long operation. What is her position at the hospital, and how important is it? How long has she been working here for? She seems friendly enough with the Chief Doctor, so it feels like they might've known each other for a while, but is that just from work or have they known each other for longer than that? I feel like there's a lot of potential here that could unlock more about her personality and who she is, even if it isn't the main focus. I've usually thought of doctors to be these soft, kindhearted people who just genuinely want to help the world, so is Eva like that? Is there a reason she's working at the hospital? When did she decide she wanted to be a doctor? Is there anything she doesn't like about her job? There's a lot to expand on here, and I think knowing the answers to this could add more depth to the story.

The evening wind awakened my tired soul.


Okay, can I just say that I absolutely love this sentence? It's so beautiful, and I feel like I can relate to it. Taking that first step out of a building into the crisp late-evening air in autumn is purely magical.

"Are you tired?" she asked.
"Tired?! I'm half dead."
"Then I'll drive; take a nap."


Oh jeez, this scene feels like me and my sibling in the car when we're driving home late. I can 100% relate to the half-dead feeling. It also speaks a lot about Chris and Eva's relationship, even before you find out they're cousins. You can really see that they've known each other for a while, and they're absolute besties.

I think Chris is definitely an interesting character, especially since it looks like she'll be sticking around for a while. I'm curious about her, especially when Eva mentioned that Chris had taken half of the day off, and then her reappearing by Eva's car. Had something actually come up, or did Chris just want to get off work early? And if something did come up, what was it? I also think that most of the questions for Eva could apply to Chris. They work together, so do they have the same job? How long has Chris been working at the hospital, and why does she want to? Exploring these questions could help develop both the characters and the plot, and they might bring up new ideas along the way!

TL;DR, this is a great start to a story with only a couple of small grammatical errors, and I can't wait to read more of it. :)




Carlito says...


Wow, great first review! Hope to keep seeing you around the site :)



firemoons says...


Thank you! :)




Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn