z

Young Writers Society


12+

Psychosis

by littlebunny


They rest their weary heads

In the black satin pillows of night,

Drawing forth their final content sighs,

Clutching their warm blankets tight.

Yet I lay awake, heart beating,

Eyes open, Still dreaming,

Dark room stifling, overheating

Hardly blinking, hardly breathing.

I am stunned by an overwhelming surge of fear,

Swallowed by the sound of silence screaming.

I remind myself: Paranoia, insomnia, schizophrenia. Not real.

And I rub my wrists raw in anxious wringing.

I hear them scuttling across the ceiling,

The beasts that only my eyes can see.

And alone I'm defenseless against myself,

Gripping the tenuous threads of reality.

The vile shadows writhe and twist

In the darkest corners of my room,

Voices murmur, beckon, and scream

Through stale air and moonlit gloom.

I hear them crawling all around me,

Like bloodthirsty beasts circling their prey.

I cover my eyes, struggling to keep them closed,

Desperately wishing the haunting away.

The dead silence of night amplifies my presence;

The stillness of the shadowed room makes me deaf,

The slightest rustle of my sheets sounds like the shrillest scream,

And every heart beat thuds swift and loud in my chest.

I drive myself into madness most nights,

Cursing myself for my self-inflicted grief;

If I could stop thinking, breathing, or be anybody else

I would surely be soundly asleep.

Paranoia and dementia

Keep my fearful mind awake

And so most nights remain sleepless

Deliriously lost in my head at four forty-eight.

I can close my eyes as tightly as I wish,

Try to muffle the sounds of my delusions,

Take pills to ease my worries,

But these are never permanent solutions.

I cannot rest until the nightmare is over.

I have no choice but to wait until then,

And once the clock reads "4:49"

This night terror will surely end.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 816
Reviews: 67

Donate
Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:49 am
Ciblio wrote a review...



BUNNYYYYYY, you're such a good writer.




User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 94
Reviews: 66

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 pm
Storybraniac wrote a review...



]I like marquee so I'll write in marquee and I just learnt to do marquee. Anyway I'm Storybraniac and I'm here to review for Paint the roses red. I liked your poem so much that I read it like ten times. It's so nice. My favourite part was the last four lines when the terror ends at midnight. And I'm sure everyone else likes it too. I also liked the Paranoia and dementia part. And this is a very good poem. Keep writing. A definite like from me.
---Storybraniac




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 2296
Reviews: 133

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm
PiesAreSquared wrote a review...



Alright! Littlebunny! I'm here to review your work!

Firstly, I really like how this piece flows. There is great harmony to the words. I had, however, difficulty finding where exactly to pause. Perhaps best will be to leave double or triple lines when you are at the end of a paragraph.

I will pick firstly on the last line.

...This night terror will surely end....

This night's terror. I think you forgot the apostrophe s!

There is a line that I find does not flow well grammatically.

...If I could stop thinking, breathing, or be anybody else...

If I could stop doing three things: breathing, thinking, or being anybody else.

Even though I really can't find a better way to put "I want to be somebody else" I still feel this can be improved on.

I would recommend shaking up some of the word order for variety, but the rhyme that you have made will be lost. That's just my personal opinion though!

Have fun and keep writing!!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 828
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 am
NikkiJamesWolf says...



I have often read books in which characters or family members/friends have schizophrenia and I could not figure out how they must feel. I have always assumed that they would be paranoid. Your poem has really described the experience of one who has schizophrenia.




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 125
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm
WWombat wrote a review...



This is too long. I want it to be shorter because I don't understand what you are talking about. Why is 4:49 bolded? Why are you so negative? I think this is incredibly dark and rather modest. I expect this character to suddenly jump up in a song and dance routine, but they never. I like the title, though. The first few lines are good, except the rest, which falls short a little. Sozoges.




littlebunny says...


I appreciate you taking the time to comment. When I published this, I didn't notice that some words were bold and blue. Sorry, I'm still getting used to the upload page! The summary explains what the poem is about- schizophrenia. The dark and modest tone serves it's purpose, but I think you're mistaking my negativity for the hopelessness of the narrator.



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 357
Reviews: 49

Donate
Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:57 am
View Likes
Jony wrote a review...



Hey Littlebunny! I see your relatively new to this site so I just want to welcome you to YWS and I hope you have a great time here! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask me.

Anyways, onto the review.

To start off with I want to tell you that you did an amazing job on this piece and you should be proud, it is honestly very well written and I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into it.

I love the way you start off the poem, describing how everyone is getting ready to sleep. It hooks the reader in and makes them curious about how this poem will develop. I also think that the first whole stanza is just great and is a perfect intro to your poem. It has great descriptions and I love the way it all flows together and doesn't sound choppy or forced. You have a great way of painting a picture for the reader and it has a very dark underlying feel to it, without it overpowering the intro.

The second stanza is also very nice, it shows the contrast between the intro and what is going to be the rest of the poem. I also like the point of view change, it is done very smoothly and doesn't confuse the reader. It also makes it so the poem seems more personal. Again, great way of describing things to the read, it gave us a nice view of your character.

The third stanza is a great way to continue the descriptions of your character and their emotions. I really like your use of a hyperbole in the last line, it really emphasizes the point that you were trying to come across. My only criticism in this stanza is the use of a coma after the third line, the way I read it, it seemed like the wrists were stunned instead of her. I would put a period there so it's a new idea separate from her wringing hands and wrists rubbed raw.

Every murmur is profoundly intense.

My hands are sore from constant wringing,

Wrists rubbed raw in anxious paranoia.

Stunned by the sound of dead silence screaming.


Otherwise, I think this stanza is very nice and well written.

Okay, so the fourth stanza is a little weird to read. When you read it over the first time, the reader thinks it is them scuttling across the ceiling. I would change that.

Scuttling across the ceiling;

I watch these invisible beasts of night.

All alone I'm left defenseless,

Forced to watch this gruesome sight.


This is just a suggestion to make it easier to understand and in my opinion doesn't ruin the flow. The substitute words also use the same amount of syllables as the substituted words, so it doesn't ruin the syllable count, if you're worried about that.

This is my only criticism about this stanza.

I don't really have anything to say about the fifth stanza, great job. I think it had a nice balance with the rest of the stanzas while also introducing a new idea. It is also very descriptive and worded nicely with a great flow.

Like the fifth stanza, I don't have much to say about the sixth. It is very well written and I like the way you describe the "monsters" and comparing them to birds of prey. I also like the way you describe how they can cover their eyes but they still can't keep them closed, it's a nice way of stating that the character can't sleep in a refreshing way.

Wow the seventh stanza is one of my favorite, I love the extended metaphors you use and the hyperboles, it all blends very well together and gives the stanza a very dark feeling. Very nicely written. I also love how the last line of that stanza shows a great representation of how the character is feeling.

The eighth stanza is great, it shifts the tone from strictly dark and adds an element of sadness to it that makes it seem a lot more refreshing and changes the way the reader views your character. I love the last two lines, they really wrap the whole idea together in a sad way that makes the reader really feel how the character feels.

One thing I would change about the ninth stanza is the fact that you used numbers to tell the reader the time, I would use letters just because it seems more professional and numbers add nothing to the poem really.

I really like the last line in the tenth stanza, it is a statement, but a powerful one. It really shows us a new light on the poem and the character.

The last stanza is a great way to wrap together the entire poem. I also love the way you restate the time to give the reader a sense of how much time is passing in the poem. But again, I would use letters for the time. The last line is subtle but powerful, a great statement and a powerful way to end the poem and tie any loose ends.

All in all, I think this was a great poem. If I had any suggestions for you, it would be to add some different themes to your poem. Instead of just using darkness as the prevailing theme for the poem, try using different themes to contrast the idea which would give it a sense of purpose and make everything a lot more powerful. You could also try using allusions in your poem, it is a very powerful tool for trying to get a point across and it really impresses the reader if you can use one in the perfect context.

If you have any questions or just want to follow up on the review, don't be afraid to PM me or just chat with me using the chat. Keep writing and I hope you have a great day!

~Jony




littlebunny says...


Jony, thanks for taking the time to reply! Your critique is very detailed and your suggestions were very helpful. I edited "Psychosis" and implemented your ideas. Your high praises on my wordplay had me soaring. Thank you for your advice and compliments!




Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary