z

Young Writers Society


16+

Bestfriends..

by lexydeluca


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

     Walking to Kevins house thinking about what happened last night at Ethan's. It just all happened so fast. I didn't even sense it. Ethan is my boyfriend of all of four months. 

When I arrived at Kevin's house his mom wasn't home so I just let myself in. Kevin and I have been best friends since we were in Kindergarten, his parents recently got divorced. He spent a lot of time at my house during that time. He's such a sweet heart and to see him upset all the time kill me. 

As I walked up the stairs of Kevin's house I could hear the TV and the video games he was playing.

" Bam Bam Boom " 

" Yes!!" he screamed as I got closer. I entered his room and sat on his bed, he didn't even acknowledge that I was there.

I sat on my phone for five minutes scrolling through twitter when I came across a tweet of Ethan's that said " Had a great time with my girl last night ;) " 

" That asshole!" I screamed. Kevin finally realized I was in his room. He came up to me, and kissed me on my head.

" Sorry cutie, didn't hear you come in." 

Kevin and I have that kind of friendship where we "flirt" but won't date. He asked me what was wrong, but I didn't know if I should tell him..

" Nothing, just Ethan's pissing me off" I said uncertain.

" I know you better than that Kendal, I know you went to see him last night, what happened?"

"Nothing Kev! I shouldn't have come here!"                                                                        

I stormed out of his room with my brown hair blowing into my face as I got outside into the nice summer breeze. 

" Ken come back please! I'm sorry." I could hear Kevin screaming as he ran through his yard. I jetted down the street back home. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4096 Reviews


Points: 253363
Reviews: 4096

Donate
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:26 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Well...this was an interesting note to get a story started on here...certainly opens up a lot of questions about what may have happened to Kendal here, and it looks like a pretty strong friendship on display from the little bit of interaction we got. Also Kevin seems to be very spaced out there...

Anyway let's get right to it,

Walking to Kevins house thinking about what happened last night at Ethan's. It just all happened so fast. I didn't even sense it. Ethan is my boyfriend of all of four months.

When I arrived at Kevin's house his mom wasn't home so I just let myself in. Kevin and I have been best friends since we were in Kindergarten, his parents recently got divorced. He spent a lot of time at my house during that time. He's such a sweet heart and to see him upset all the time kill me.


Okay...interesting start there, a tiny bit confusing there at first glance, I think the way the sentences are structured there at the very beginning is in a tiny bit of a tangle, you might want to rephrase those just a tiny bit there. The second part is pretty nicely done there. It manages to get across some necessary background info while also making it seem natural to the flow of the story which is a great combination you don't see too often.

As I walked up the stairs of Kevin's house I could hear the TV and the video games he was playing.

" Bam Bam Boom "

" Yes!!" he screamed as I got closer. I entered his room and sat on his bed, he didn't even acknowledge that I was there.


Okay...well, that is quite typical of someone playing a video, and the bam bam boom also seems like your generic video game. Well...a relatively generic introduction here but even this first little scene of running into this person does tell you a little about what kind of personality he may have which is useful.

I sat on my phone for five minutes scrolling through twitter when I came across a tweet of Ethan's that said " Had a great time with my girl last night ;) "

" That asshole!" I screamed. Kevin finally realized I was in his room. He came up to me, and kissed me on my head.


Okay...well that is an understandable reaction there, also wow, this man could have been robbed blind and he would not hear a thing. He should probably learnt to lock a door or two around the house if he's going to be quite this distracted, oh dear.

" Sorry cutie, didn't hear you come in."

Kevin and I have that kind of friendship where we "flirt" but won't date. He asked me what was wrong, but I didn't know if I should tell him..


Well, that certainly seems like a pretty wholesome friendship on first glance, when you start low key flirting with each other is when you know the two of you are really good friends, at least in my experience..xD

" Nothing, just Ethan's pissing me off" I said uncertain.

" I know you better than that Kendal, I know you went to see him last night, what happened?"

"Nothing Kev! I shouldn't have come here!"


Okay....so, they don't seem to want to tell him about this problem, which is interesting, cause I assume this is probably because Kevin himself is going through some tough times at the moment, cause otherwise, that does seem like the sort of problem you'd tell someone that was such a good friend....at any rate, it makes you wonder how terrible the previous night could've been.

I stormed out of his room with my brown hair blowing into my face as I got outside into the nice summer breeze.

" Ken come back please! I'm sorry." I could hear Kevin screaming as he ran through his yard. I jetted down the street back home.


Okayy...interesting note to end on their, almost seems to symbolise this one running away from their problems here...

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall, a pretty neat start to a story that you've got here. I know that I would certainly read on from this point. Aaand I believe that is all I have to say here. :D

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 667
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:12 am
Bexy2556 wrote a review...



Hi there,

This is a good start :) it has what I like in a story which is a little suspense at the very beginning. It doesn't dive right into the story and makes you want to read on to find out what's going on.

Just a couple of things, firstly there is a spelling error: "...to see him upset all the time kill me." Of course, it should be "killed" but I'm sure that was done entirely in error.

Secondly, although the story is developing from the beginning, there isn't a lot of structure. I feel like there is too much dialogue and not enough description or substance. There's not really any character description or a visual of the surroundings. Take the time between narratives to build up some substance, describe away even if it sounds too much. The story is quite fast-paced and so it needs a little something to bulk it out so the reader has a chance to process everything that is going on.

Hope this helps a little and look forward to reading more!

Good luck with your writing going forwards.

Becki




User avatar


Points: 428
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:28 pm
BethsLlama wrote a review...



More structure! It helps with getting your audience to clearly understand your story, characters and theme. Ask yourself questions. What life lesson do these characters learn from their hardships? Who is the narrator? What is her relationship with her best friend and boyfriend like? What do her boyfriend and best friend have to say about the narrator? What does the narrator have to say about herself? How does the narrator solve the conflict? Who am I writing this story for? Why am I writing it? Answering these questions gives your story purpose and can help you clearly and effectively communicate what your theme is.
Each story has three main structures. The beginning: where you introduce your characters, story, and theme. The middle: where you support, and exemplify your theme through a serious of an (or many) event(s) and/or minor conflict(s). The end: where you summarize what your characters have learned from the conflict(s) and the event(s) in the story, and where you also restate your theme. This structure is a must for any writing that you do!




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 340
Reviews: 16

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:11 pm
View Likes
kenziefavaloro says...



Oh my goodness! All I want to do is read more and i cannot wait for you to continue working on this and share some more! I love dramatic relationship stories like this and you did a great job on this piece really. :)




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:45 am
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello!

Stegosaurus here for a review!

I am glad you are able to share this beginning of your story! I enjoyed the thought of this story also as much as I like the characters.

However, the beginning doesn't seem to drag me in as most stories would- and as this story continues on- it seems to kinda bored me. Since in the beginning, what happened at Ethan's house? The reader wouldn't know what happened unless you say it before the story (I would say in italics).

Also this seems unrealistic for such a story; it seems rushed and there is no certain plot to it that makes it seem interesting to read. Try reading a romance novel to figure out the proper way to write romance (because reading a book expands your ideas).

Also the formatting of this seems a bit... right sided. I also think this story has more to it; as a writer and a reader, I feel like you should add more to this- with descriptions and more emotion from the characters. It just seems to fall flat of that and if you on YWS long enough, you can find out how much your characters expand c:

Now onto the nitpicks:

When I arrived at Kevin's house his mom wasn't home so I just let myself in. Kevin and I have been best friends since we were in Kindergarten, his parents recently got divorced. He spent a lot of time at my house during that time. He's such a sweetheart and to see him upset all the time kill me. He plays football and baseball, I go to all of his games no matter what. He is the star quarterback at our high school, he doesn't like to admit it but i think he's the best one out there.

This paragraph is long- yes- but to me, I feel like there is some unneeded info that it will bore the reader from reading the rest of what you write (thinking this is how you would write with all of your stuff). Also there is a load of runoff sentences or sentences that could go with the previous sentence BUT are blocked by a period; they feel sad about that :c

" Nothing, just Ethan's pissing me off" I said uncertain.


You can say something uncertain but it is better if you say it uncertainly ;) Also I feel like the character us over-dramaticing about this (although I haven't been in a situation like this).

Also the dialogue between Kendal and Kevin seem.. rushed and forced, as in terms of friendship. If I may ask, have you been in something like this? If so, use reality for the little things in fiction; makes you a better writer and helps the reader understand completely (or just read a novel about romance; that could do also).

Overall, this is a good start. I hope to see more from you!

If you have any questions about this review, let me know!

Steggy




User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:38 am
Dracula wrote a review...



Hello, lexydeluca! Welcome to the Young Writers Society. :)

You've got a nice story coming along here. In this chapter, I got to know Kevin reasonably well. I get the impression that he's that typical 'cool guy' that you often see in teen movies. You did a good job in having your character describe him naturally without going over the top.

As the chapter progressed and got into the dialogue, I felt that things moved a little fast. You showed how preoccupied Kevin was with his gadgets, which was great, but as soon as he saw Kendal things went a bit plain. She was in one minute and out the other, and Kevin didn't seem to react to her leaving. Surely he would have followed her and tried to find out what was wrong, right?

A little more explanation at the end and you'll be well on your way. Other than that, there's a few little nitpicks to fix. "Nothing Kev! I shouldn't of come here!" Here you said of when have is the proper word for this sentence. There are a couple of similar errors throughout, so just have a quick read through. That aside, I enjoyed reading your chapter. I hope you'll share more of this story soon. :D



Random avatar
lexydeluca says...


Ah thank you very much! I now see it, I'll add more to the ending of the chapter. It's my first writing, it means a lot that you liked it!



Dracula says...


No problem! :D




A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau