z

Young Writers Society



Forgiveness

by laylaflame


NOTE:

Please help me out with this, I need to write a bunch of short stories on the concept of power. This one I was hoping to convey the power of forgiveness. Please tell me if it suceeds or not, and feel free to cut it to shreds with your perfecting claws of knowledge:)

***

You know how you can’t remember your birth or anything from when you were a baby. Well death is the same.

It might not be like this for everyone, this is just my personal experience of death anyhow. But I think it’s fair to say that I’m a bit more educated on the subject then you. After all, you’re not dead - yet. Whereas I, dear beloved I, know I am indeed dead, but can’t for the sake of me remember why. There is no memory of pain or suffering, regret or final goodbyes. All that’s left is the other bits – the bits that fill this room now.

They congregate in small groups and speak in hushed tones, doing their rounds of viewing the casket. I shouldn’t be so critical, they at least look sad. Except for one, her eyes hold nothing but secrets – my secrets. I wish I could float over and spook her, maybe tie her shoelaces together for a laugh. Unfortunately however, she doesn’t have shoelaces, and I haven’t quite caught on to this ‘dead’ thing yet.

I can’t feel my limbs, in fact, now I’m thinking about I don’t think I have any. I can see them; lying perfectly still with no blood in their veins, but they’re not mine anymore, I don’t think. She approaches them, the curious power of determination moving her legs. When she reaches my corpse she leans in, taking my cold hand in hers. Her eyes close, she kisses my cheek, and then she whispers…

“I forgive you.”

I can’t help but notice the weight lifting off my shoulders. Problem is though; I don’t know what the weight was. She knows me; she knows I won’t leave it at that. She’s doing this on purpose. I know, because I know her. She doesn’t want me to move on.

But no, that’s just silly. How could she know anything about being dead? True, she does remind me of an undead evil sorceress at times, but I always thought that was just the optimistic part in me. Deep down I know she is much worse than that. Deep down I know she is really something way more scheming, malicious, and deceiving than that.

Deep down I know she is the cause of my death.

Slithers of memories push to the front of mind. I remember the feeling now; the overpowering sensation of fleeting moments –last moments, the realisation of final breaths, the sound of my final heartbeat, the sound of hers, continuing on after mine had stopped.

And I remember the tears; that rolled over her cheeks as she sighed in relief.

“And I’m sorry,” she whispers into my ear. I hear it loud and clear, like the church bells that ring each Sunday.

I forgive you too my love…

And then it was over. Everything was over. I left and all that remained of me was the photographs that would eventually degrade away, and the memories that would someday die with those who had them.

Forgiveness had set me free.

***


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
560 Reviews


Points: 30438
Reviews: 560

Donate
Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:37 pm
Tenyo wrote a review...



Ah, I like! The narration of this is fantastic- but I'll get to the good stuff later. Gritty stuff first.

Grammar Basics:
Full stops are used to end a sentence. Commars are used to join two sentences or to separate two clauses. Connectives are also used to connect two clauses without the use of a commar.
Imagine a sentence as a thought- a full thought. If I were to say to you 'except for one, her eyes hold nothing but secrets,' you'd be left wondering what the first half of that thought was. There's something missing that makes it not a complete thought and so not a complete sentence. You have to join it with the one in front.
If you want to use it as a form of pacing or technique you can do that once or twice but not as frequently as you are doing right now.

Bold and Italics:
I don't think there's any set rules on how to use font changes, but I would say that for titles and headings use bold, and for in-text use italics. You may have two different reasons for using the formatting, but you can still use the same kind of format as a way of saying "Hey, this bit is different!"
Personally I find when using bold where italics could be used it over highlights a word three paragraphs before I actually come to it. It an also be more difficult than italics for people who struggle with dyslexia.

Overall:
Positives is that I can't really find any more negetives. There isn't much else that I could comment on. Also, I love the narration in this piece. It's quirky and characteristic without straying from the atmosphere of the piece. I think I would have more to say about the likes of character and plot if it was a little longer, but I couldn't really get into the story much from this short amount.

Another thing I like, which I wouldn't have caught on to if you didn't foremention it, is the idea of power through forgiveness, it adds depth to the piece that I think you could have played up on a little more.

Keep up the good work :)
~Ten




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 769
Reviews: 38

Donate
Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 am
TazmaniaGirl wrote a review...



This is amazing! How old are you, this is like grown up stuff! Come on, write more...!




laylaflame says...


yahhh! Thankyou:D (im 17 as of last saturday btw) :P




What praise is more valuable than the praise of an intelligent servant?
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice