z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Gods and guardians-chapter 1

by larry


Questions for reviewers:

1.The beginning: What  do you think about it? Is it too much of an info dump? Should I just cut it? Especially the soul flowers, should I just call them flowers and then later  have  it explained instead?

2.dialogue:  Is it badly executed? What do you like/dislike? Does it drag on for too long? What do you think about the banter? Is it unnecessary and/or annoying?

3.descriptions: Are they too much? Too pretentious? Too little? Not in the right places? Too many adjectives? Not enough? Boring?

4. The ending of the chapter: Did it annoy  you that the chapter  finished this way? Was it a hook or a turn off? Did you feel like there wasn't really much action/plot   and just info dump and that I shouldn't have stopped the chapter there?

Deep in the mortal realm of the abyss, the light from the soul flowers shone through the impenetrable purple glass imbued with the 2 gods' energy, making the originally dark and unwelcome appearance of the abyss somewhat pleasant to the eye.In some places, the color was more blue and purple, in some it was more reddish and violet, depending on the color and strength of the light, and all reflecting the kind of person they were in the afterlife. The area above the soul flowers, on the glass, was occupied by thousands and thousands of souls. Despite the fact that they died, they had humanoid forms , but they did not eat,pee, drink nor do any of the actions needed for humans to survive. Above that group of life forms there was another floating and flying around, invisible to the human eye. Fairies with beautiful blue wings made by the guardian of the abyss were bathing in the glow of the light.Their wings were emulating different colors every time they gracefully flew to another spot. Hastily but carefully, they were tracking every move of the dead person they were assigned to.

In another realm of the abyss, the atmosphere was different. The guardian's realm where Robby resided in was overwhelmed with darkness with the only thing lighting it up being the faint glow of the butterflies that were feasting on the flowers and a crystal. In the midst of all that darkness, there was a chunk of dirt and rocks floating like a lotus on the surface of water. Except there was no surface there. It was just air, darkness, and that little floating "island" supported by a big, glowing purple crystal at the bottom of the isle. And on that isle, a person with long, messy hair was laying on his stomach, tapping his finger on the ground with a blank expression on his face. He was on the edge, his eyes a few centimeters away from it, locked on the bottomless pit beneath. He was certainly not the fearless type, and yet, he wasn't afraid at all.

At that moment, a zapping noise decorated the somewhat gloomy yet beautiful realm. A purple portal appeared right in front of a dark, purple crystal in the middle of the isle surface. A hand plunged through the swirling pool of purple and violet colors, later revealing a tall slender figure.

"You still haven't given this place a makeover?"she asked, tapping the blue orb that she was holding with both of her hands.

"It feels like no one is living here. It doesn't look like someone's room at all!" Kyrie said, untying the red ribbon that was holding her long and luscious strands of black hair with her left hand.

"Technically, It's not a room, so…" Robby exclaimed, swishing his blonde hair frivolously.

She squinted, and then proceeded to make banter, gently dropping her blue orb that was slowly losing its shine.

"Um ahhkctuallyy," her face squirmed, while her lips puckered as she was jokingly mocking him.

He turned his head towards her, resting his face on his palm listfully.

Kyrie lifted her hand up, like she was holding a plate, while she used her right hand to frame her face.

"You sound like that pretentious soldier guy from Libea," she teased, the portal disappearing behind her as the orb lost its shine.

At that moment, Robby's facial expression turned into a faint smile.

" 0 Izolda's orbs out of ten for the impression, 5 for the effort," he said, pushing his bangs that were right in front of his eyes on the back of his ears.

"Well, I'm just trying to cheer you up honey," she crossed her hands, revealing a stern and worried face.

"You know you can always use the orb to go hang out with fairies right? I know you're bored here. Or you could just come to my realm and we would hang out if you want to while your energy is recovering."

"Oh yeah," Robby stroked his blonde beard."I forgot about that."

"But hey, time's already up," he pointed towards the hourglass indicating that 1 hour had passed.

"Oh," Kyrie sighed, moving a few inches towards him and stopping as her green snake tail touched Robby's orb.

She picked it up, shaking her head.

"Can't you put the orb in a safer place?"

He stood up.

"I'm going now."

"Wait!" she reached out with her arm.

Robby froze.

"Can't we just hang out for a little? It's just one minute after all."

"One minute is enough time for a human to appear at the lake. I'm not an eagle who can see the end of the forest from the lake auntie"

"Besides, aren't you the one constantly telling me to protect the Labea butterflies and the crystal, or else I'll get scrapped?

"You're right. Just... "she muttered, picking up her orb.

"Hm?"

"Nothing, you obviously don't need a reminder anymore. Just.. Be safe. " she advised, stretching her arm up as if she was about to wave.

"Sure," he said, jumping into the bottomless pit.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! A belated welcome to the site ^_^

1. I like the stuff about the soul flowers; it's interesting. I think it's fine at the beginning of the novel. It's actually a pretty good introduction, peaking my interest and making me want to read more into these flowers. There are a few ways you could make it a bit stronger though.

Deep in the mortal realm of the abyss, the light from the soul flowers shone through the impenetrable purple glass imbued with the 2 gods' energy, making the originally dark and unwelcome appearance of the abyss somewhat pleasant to the eye.

This opening sentence is long. Yes it is all grammatically correct, but it drags. Flow, how the novel reads, is very important. It sets a sort of pace for your readers and it just sounds right while one is reading. I am a short sentence writer so maybe this is coming from my own bias. I think it would read better if it were two sentences instead of one. Talk about the mortal realm and the light from the soul flowers. Then make a new sentence about how it makes the dark area better. That's two complete thoughts about the same idea.

Just as a general rule, all numbers that can be spelled out in one word should be written out. There are a few numbers in here you could spell out.

In the second paragraph we are introduced to Robby, who I'm assuming will be your main character. However, he's just kind of thrown into the story at this point. We're talking about soul flowers and the realm and all of sudden there's Robby. Who is this guy? What is he doing here? Not saying you have to answer these questions in the introduction because we'll learn about him more as the novel progresses, but think about introducing us to him earlier in the chapter. Or give him a few sentences to himself instead of trying to weave him into the description.

Your description is definitely not an info dump. This is the beginning of your novel. We don't know anything about this world you've created or the characters or the story about to take place. We need this information. And like I'm sure I've mentioned, it peaks my interest. I wanted to know about the soul flowers and this realm that Robby is in. Also, two paragraphs is hardly an info dump :) I've read novels where authors spend pages on a certain thing. They published it without changing it so someone somewhere was okay with it! Definitely keep it.

It was just air, darkness, and that little floating "island" supported by a big, glowing purple crystal at the bottom of the isle. And on that isle, a person with long, messy hair was laying on his stomach, tapping his finger on the ground with a blank expression on his face.

In these two sentences you use the word 'island' (I'm referring to 'isle' as well since it's a synonym) three times. Repetition can be a good thing in writing, but it can also be annoying, for lack of better term. Since these words are so close together it's monotonous. Remember, you don't always have to use words by their name. Use the word 'it' or 'that'. We will still know what you are talking about, no worries. My rule of thumb is wait a few sentences before you use that word again. I try to think about when the reader might start forgetting I'm talking about, for example, an island. That's when I'll use the word again. Make sense?

Also from this excerpt, I'm under the impression that this person is Robby? Since we already know his name, feel free to use it! Instead of saying 'a person' you can say 'Robby'. With how it's written now it makes me think there's someone else there with Robby. Judging by the rest of the chapter, no one else is there.

2. The dialogue is great. It's definitely not too much, I think it's the perfect amount! You always have to find that good balance between dialogue and descriptions. You never want to have straight dialogue for ten pages or straight description for ten pages. Of course, every writer is different so you may see people who do that. Writing is weird wherein rules apply, but don't really at the same time xD

So anyway, back to the dialogue. The banter is part of their character development. I skimmed over the previous reviews and I saw that you commented Robby and Kyrie (LOVE the name by the way) are supposed to be sort of aunt and nephew relationship. Since they're so close they would be talking like this. It makes sense.

The only thing I would mention about the dialogue though is the formatting. Let me give you some examples.

"You still haven't given this place a makeover?"she asked, tapping the blue orb that she was holding with both of her hands.

"It feels like no one is living here. It doesn't look like someone's room at all!" Kyrie said, untying the red ribbon that was holding her long and luscious strands of black hair with her left hand.

These two sentences feel like two different people are talking. Typically a new line of dialogue means a change in the speaker. However, together this is Kyrie speaking all at once. Now, you can still have that tag line (the part I underlined) between dialogue. It connects the sentences and gives us a break from the dialogue. I saw this a couple of other times, but I won't point them all out for you.

She squinted, and then proceeded to make banter

Don't tell us they made banter. I want to read the banter! :) Banter is wonderful for character development. It might seem like you're boring us, but really we're learning about the characters and this world they are in. It also makes me wonder if we're missing out on something important that one of them could've said.

3. The descriptions are good. I think there's just enough description. Honestly, if the descriptions are too detailed that's just your style. Don't change your writing style because of what other people like! If that's how you want to write your novel, write it like that :)

4. The ending works. It's a good stopping point in the action. The thing with chapter endings is that they really don't have to be so finalizing. If you think of it in terms of a physical novel, your readers will simply turn the next page and continue reading. Chapters can lead one into the other or have a complete break between. Both work and both are good. This chapter feels like a true introduction to your novel so it is good that there's sort of a break here.

Overall this is a strong opening chapter. We get a good introduction into your world and your characters. Your writing is good, just a few things to tweak to make it amazing!

Here's some advice. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know that's hard to follow, I was like that at one point as well. Your writing comes from you and it's up to you to make it amazing. There is only so much that I can tell you as a reader. You're in charge of your own story, make it what you want it to be! Be confident in your work because it is amazing <3

Let me know when you post the next chapter! I'll gladly come back to read more.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 135
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 pm
QuoolQuo wrote a review...



Ahoy hoy,

Just popping by for a review so here are some answers to your questions (sorry if they turn out not being very useful)

1. The intro is a bit much, information wise, but amazingbt has already covered this a lot better than I could so I’ll just move on to my favourite part of any story...

2. Dialogue! Your dialogue is well executed and is very entertaining to read, with only one line I can make suggestion to fix with grammar;

“One minute is enough time for a human to appear at the lake. I’m not an eagle who can see the end of the forest from the lake auntie”

There should be a ‘,’ before auntie.

Moreover, it’s your phrases surrounding the dialogue that might actually need a bit of work. In some cases it became confusing which character was talking, particularly with the line after the auntie one as I just quoted before. I assume it’s Robby who’s talking but it’s hard to tell. If I am correct, a suggestion to make this more clear would be to just join the two lines in the same paragraph as they are, or to put another tag line between them to make it more clear who is talking.

“She squinted, and then proceeded to make banter,”

I don’t think you need the, ‘to make banter’ because it’s obvious enough in the next few lines of dialogue that it is banter or some form of mockery. Your story will seem more professional without it as it is a bit on the ‘telling’ not ‘showing’ side.
Also, when Kyrie first steps through the portal, I though at first that were two people because you had the first dialogues assigned to someone who was just a “she” and then the second to Kyrie, making me assume that there were two different people. To fix this small error, put Kyrie’s name in the tag for the first line of dialogue and use she for the second; OR connect the two lines and put them in the same paragraph.

3. The description of the characters was sparse and at times felt awkward when interjected in your dialogue tags. When Kyrie steps through the portal, this is great opportunity to describe her without it feeling too awkward. For example;

“A slender, dark haired figure emerged through the portal, their (insert colour) eyes sparkling despite their age.”

That’s a bad example but hopefully you get what I’m trying to say. With Robby’s description however, if you are going to change the into as was suggested by amazingbt, you could describe Robby as he is introduced in the scene... uh? I’m bad at explaining stuff so here’s another example though it is bad.

“Robby lay on the ground, his head resting on a cushion of messy blonde curls while he stroked and twirled his fingers through the hairs of his growing beard.”

4. The ending is fine, you really don’t need to worry about it. It’s intriguing and will keep the reader going, but it isn’t an abrupt cut off and it feels like a natural place to put the opportunity for the reader to take a small break before coming back to read some more.

Well, I hope that’s enough feedback for you and I hope it was useful, though I’m not very good at explaining things. Oh well.

Keep writing and I hope you continue this story!

- H.G




larry says...


*breathes in* Descriptions descriptions descriptions.
Yeah I ddidn't notice that I made it confusing. Thanks for pointing that out. . And I'm glad you liked the dialogue, I was afraid it turned out just as awkward as the descriptions. I'll definitely keep writing and thank you !



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 653
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:48 pm
amazingbt wrote a review...



1. The beginning: I think that you had a lot of good ideas with the soul flowers, but I don't think you should have started off with that much information. Maybe you should have gone with a mysterious beginning with the flowers in it, but without explaining too much about it to make the reader more intrigued and willing to read more.

2. Dialogue: I think the dialoge was great, and really helped the reader understand the relationship between the two characters. It shows that Kyrie and Robby have probably been friends for a while and are comfortable being around with each other.

3. Description: Your descriptions of the setting were really good, but I think they were placed in the wrong part of the story. Besides that, the way you described the abyss made me feel like I was there. I would have liked a bit more description of the characters.

4. Ending: I think the ending was really great, and it was a great mental picture for me, with Kyrie standing there looking a bit worried with her arm up in a goodbye, and Robby jumping into the pit recklessly.

Overall, you wrote a very creative story, with few to no gramatical errors. I just would have liked to have the information towards the end. Keep up the good work!
~amazingbt




larry says...


Thank you <333

1. I felt like I was giving too much info and you basically confirmed it. I'll make it a bit more mysterious and then explain in more detail when they go into that part of the abyss.

3."But I feel like they were placed in the wrong part of the story". Can you elaborate on that? Like I said I do have a bit of a problem with the begining and I'm not sure how I should start so I made it like this. But I feel like I should have put that later when they actually go into that part of the abyss. However, I don't wanna remove all of it. How do I remove just enough for an intro?

"Would have liked a bit more description of the characters"
T.T This basically confirms what I was worried about. I've always had problems with describing characters because I'm scared that I'll go overboard and then I don't describe the characters enough.



larry says...


Also instead of friends, I intended their relashionship to be more like friendly auntie/mentor since she is older and was made before him. Altho I just realized I used motherinstead of auntie in the dialogue



amazingbt says...


No problem at all! I totally get where you were going with the mentor/aunt relationship now that you mention it!

3. (clarifying what I meant) What I meant by "But I feel like they were placed in the wrong part of the story" was like I said in part one, adding a little less information along with description in the beginning and maybe putting the more detailed facts about the flowers when the character experiences the soul flowers for themselves. (Ex. If in the beginning of a story you talk about dinosaurs, then describe the way the person discovers the dinosaurs, change it to the person discovering the dinosaurs, and afterwards explaining what the dinosaurs are.) I'm sorry if this was a little confusing!



larry says...


No I get it now. That's exactly what I had in mind. I want him to experience that part of the abyss for himself but since I'm bad at intros I ended up just dumping it all in.



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 653
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:44 pm
amazingbt says...



great job!^^




larry says...


Thank you <333
And you too of course. This review was very helpful to me.




Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson