Unfulfilled dreams

by kriti

Scanning through my bookshelf, to search old books for lending them to my cousin, I randomly opened one. Along with some formulae, I found something handwritten in bold on the front page

THE HEIGHTS ARE MEANT TO BE CONQUERED, THE DEPTHS TO BE FATHOMED,

POWER TO BE SEIZED, WINGS TO FLY, AND DREAMS TO BE FULFILLED.

WITH DREAMS AS HIGH AS THE SKY,

I WANT TO FLY, FLY AND FLY.

As I read it, mixed feelings gushed through me and sent a shiver down my spine. A feeling of grief, along with self-pity filled me. I caught myself smiling wryly. For now, I get astonished when I reminisce the time I had written those lines and think of the way I have become now.

FOR THE HORIZON SEEMS TOO FAR FOR THE WOUNDED WINGS TO

CONQUER, TRAPPED IN THE ABYSMAL DEPTHS OF MY OWN AGONY.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:16 am
Parkahar says...

Don't like it you should warm on it

Sat May 14, 2016 1:26 am
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi kriti!

You have an interesting piece here. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot to it, which I feel has limited its potential. Usually, a short story has definable parts, like rising action, a climax, a denouement... this feels more like a vignette. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since you have posted this as a narrative short story, I am a little confused because it is neither.

What I do think you have is a really beautiful way with words. You have a lot of words you want to use and you know how to arrange them to make pretty sentences! At the moment, though, it feels as if you have arranged them in pretty ways just for the sake of being pretty. Unfortunately, this makes these potentially powerful words void of meaning and value - which is such a shame. I have so many questions. Why did the protagonist write these words? How were they when they wrote the words? How has she since changed? Those questions are the things that could help you form a proper short story that I think could be unique and intriguing. Why does she feel grief and self-pity? What has she experienced? There are so many questions, but all the prettiness is getting in the way of meaning.

Aside from the content, I suggest you take the caps and italicize the words - it will look much better and be less harsh. Since I get the feeling you don't want the words to be read harshly or as if they're being yelled out, the italics will soften them. How you create text also influences how the reader interprets the content.

Overall, I did like the idea you threw out, although there isn't a whole lot that is very "tangible" here right now. But that is an easy fix. I suggest you consider the questions I threw out and go from there. They will help develop this more so that the reader can actually understand the meaning behind what the protagonist wrote! :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Lav

Kaju wrote a review...

Dear kriti,
First of all thanks a lot for writing this work! It is a totally relatable concept! Old books with thoughts pencilled on them often remind us of all those unfulfilled dreams and rekindle the agony of not being able to live our dreams. I totally liked those lines. Your language and flow was perfect but one line caught my attention. ".....think of the way I have become now." It somehow doesn't sound correct. It would have been better to write that as, ".....think of of what I have become now." Rest of it is absolutely perfect.
Awesome work! Keep it up!
Keep writing and entertaining us!
All the best!

Kaju says...

Sorry there was a typo there! I have repeated that of by mistake!

kriti says...

thank you kaju :D

gammagamerale says...

now let me just do a slow clap*slowly claps*i like it

kriti says...

thank you so much :) :D

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein