Sea Grass

by klennon14

If I engulfed your love any more

I would become the sea.

My lips hurt from the roughage

you’ve left in my depths.

I swim far from uncertainty.

You throw me an inflatable,

rubber tube, filled with

all the things a girl desires.

Safety, warmth, longing

Pulling me into the shore

Wading over sandy grounds

to meet you right where

I left my heart last.

Wide out in the open,

ripped apart with

stitches hanging loose.

But you mend me.

You dissolve the salt water

burning in my lungs.

I rub my eyes,

but nothing hurts.

It feels good, it feels right

where I’m supposed to be.

Wrapped up in the water

Tangled in your sheets of sea grass,

tickling my ankles. I’ve never felt

such a feather light touch but

something that anchors me,

holds me here in the deep end.

Swimming in your ocean eyes

Drowning in their crystal clear waters,

and I know that I must dive in

head first.

BubblegumGoddess wrote a review...

Hey there klennon14!

This piece is so lovely! You definitely had me at your first line "If I engulfed your love any more

I would become the sea." This poem perfectly painted an image of a love as vast as the ocean. Not only were your words tranquil, peaceful, calming, and restful. I did notice you used "ocean eyes" which is kind of a cliche' in my opinion but, I do feel that it worked in that part and was somewhat essential in order to leave your reader feeling a certain way. Another thing that I found interesting was the way you ended it with two words in their own stanza. "Head first" are words that instill a feeling in most people that is similar to fear which was a good break from the overall serenity of the poem. I also thought that the use of those words were appropriate in order for the reader to understand the risk in falling in love. When you become involved romantically with someone, there is definitely some scary moments in the beginning and this poem depicted the fear as well as the thrill of falling in love. (Apologies for the repetitiveness.Therefore the ending was basically perfect to me.

The only section that I have any suggestions for is where you wrote,
"I swim far from uncertainty.

You throw me an inflatable,

rubber tube, filled with

all the things a girl desires."

(This part is so relatable by the way). For some reason, and this could just be me but, an inflatable rubber tube kind of ruined the romantic feel. Other than that, I really enjoyed this piece!

-BubblegumGoddess

klennon14 says...

Thanks so much for the review! The rubber tube line...I was even hesitant on that. I was going for the angle of juxtaposing the romance with something silly, but I'm not sure it quite fit. I will take a look at that again.
Also, I think you described the meaning of this poem for me better than I could XD

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 am
Lumi wrote a review...

I thought we'd make it through without Ocean Eyes! So close!

This is a lovely piece that is soothing, serene, and relaxed in all the proper ways; and it just absorbs me, takes me in, and brings me to that wonderful warm depth of love where you get these feelings that just won't leave.

Aren't they remarkable?

Your flow is quite admirable as well, though in the first several stanzas it almost seems like you break your lines for symmetry instead of breath or flow or any sort of intentional causation. I want to be able to match my breathing with the rhythm of the poem and really move with it, feel every aspect and beat as the words roll through--particularly since the aquatic imagery is so lovely here.

I definitely want to nix 'ocean eyes' since it's a cliche description, but I think all poets have it somewhere in their repertoire, so you can PROBABLY get away with this one. ;)

Your ending is solid and isn't a flashbang, but rather a whisper, which I appreciate. Same for the opening. Generally I'm just appreciative of the piece and am glad you showed your chops with water and sea imagery, even pouring into the sentiment delivered in the speaking stanza when he's holding you. It all just WORKS, and that's delightful. I look forward to more from you. Lots more. As in you gained a follower.

Hope this helps,
Ty

klennon14 says...

Thank you so much for putting the time in to review this and my other piece, Bite Me. I really appreciate all the feedback!
I knew I was taking a chance with the cliche "ocean eyes." As I was writing the line, I was cringing at myself, but it just seemed to fit in the end.
Thank you so much for the follow and all of your positive feedback and constructive critiques! :)

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne